Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Personality should be the main focus of this game.

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I kind of prefer personality points over the moodlet system with traits. It always felt too rpg when they introduced them in the Sims 3. There was a nice variety of how Sims acted in the Sims 1 and 2.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I kind of prefer personality points over the moodlet system with traits. It always felt too rpg when they introduced them in the Sims 3. There was a nice variety of how Sims acted in the Sims 1 and 2.

same, i also think traits conflict with emotions. personality points would allow for more varied sims and much more freedom for them to behave, while also being more logical, the bad AI wouldn't notice as much.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @Scobre @bella_goth
    But we have most of those same traits and some different ones that are more specific (We don’t have Serious for instance, but we have serious traits like Bookworm and now Proper). And if the points were in the middle of the spectrum it meant absolutely nothing. Sims on average only had a few extremes once all their points were applied.

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

That doesn’t give more of a variety than what we have. Sims felt more similar then (to me) than they do now.

It would be like if they cut our current traits back to 10 and sims just got different combinations of any 3 of those. That doesn’t sound better to me.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited December 2020
    In a way... I think it should be a simple patch tho.

I still believe We should have more trait options, and trait slots by now.
    Why teens only have 2 trait slots and not 5, and adults only have 3 slots and not 6 trait slots I will never understand

Personally I feel It should only take Favorites to get the kind of Customization we need.
    In CAS, we program what our sims favorites are, from the get go.

Favorite Foods & Drinks.
    Favorite Hobbies.

And then they Do their favorite things

So my Simself Mason King the man you see in my profile Art
    He's a Spell Caster (Rank Virtuoso), age 16
    His Current Aspiration: Love
    Completed Aspirations: Spellcraft & Sorcery; Purveyor of Potions; Renaissance Sim; Friend of the World
    His Favorites: (This will make sims feel more unique than ever. because they will interact with different things making them react differently, or not at all towards the things they don't care for at all.
    Favorite Foods: (Pop up windows of all Foods in game check all that apply) (Sim will make these autominously when he is hungry/Thirsty
    If food is made of poor quality, it will ruin his mood for the next 4-8 hours if the food/drink is made exceedingly well, it will improve his mood for the day. unless they are Gluttons.)
    Apple Pie
    Lemon Bars
    Grapes
    Roast Chicken
    Sim City Cheesecake
    Monte Cristo Sandwiches
    Holiday Ham
    Chocolate Chip Cookies

Favorite Drinks:
    Red Wine
    Whiskey
    Strawberry Milkshake
    Caramel Milkshake
    Rootbeer Floats

Favorite Hobbies & Activities (How sim behaves when He's bored, or in a Negative mood, or Extreme Emotions and he needs/wants to calm down or cheer up. He will automatically do these things, even when you rotate households, he should never be caught doing something "Out of Character" only when the Player tells him to act out of character.)
    Hanging Out With: Family, His Best Friends/His Lover(s)
    Playing: Video Games, Soccer, Archery
    Read: Action/Adventure/Romance/Comedy/Fantasy
    watch: Action/Adventure/Romance/Comedy/Fantasy TV Shows/Movies
    Listen to: R&B/Pop/Jazz/Classic/Baroque Music

His Traits:
    Ancient Bloodline
    Adventurous
    Bro
    Beloved
    Foodie
    Fresh Chef
    Fertile
    Great Kisser
    High Metabolism
    Heat Proof
    Immortal
    Immunity
    Long Lived
    Memorable
    Mastermind
    Master Leader
    Morning Person
    Master Mixer
    Perfect Host
    Poetic
    Quick Learner
    Slinger of Spells
    Survivalist
    Storyteller
    Shameless
    Sincere
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Personalities is my biggest complaint and has been for y e a r s . I've been asking for a Serious/No Sense of Humor trait for so long...I just want a sim that is more stoic. Doesn't autonomously dance or play games on their phone or do funny interactions (or at least do it seldom).

1. I feel like Favorites are simple. It can just be a buff. If they hear their favorite music or eat their favorite food, they get happy.

2. I do believe Attraction/Chemistry would work. It doesn't have to be as in-depth as mods make it, it can be simple.

3. Linzlu made an amazing concept for an Arts & Crafts game pack a few years ago and I really like their way of integrating Interests. (Please check it out!)
    linzlu.jpg

4. Of course, the whims need an overhaul. I don't think they took whims seriously, just literally fleeting thoughts that pop into your Sims' head. And now they're hidden by default and haven't added any new ones for years. But just tailor them to traits and less wanting to buy a 1x1 pool or bee house. There's a mod that fixes this, so the team can too if they just spend some time on it.

5. Emotions...I feel like some emotions should be blocked, or at least take more powerful buffs to get them, by certain traits. Yes, there are reward traits that can do this, but I think some traits should do it by default. Also add a Fear Emotion.

6. Animations~! I know, it's like a meme now with the lack of diverse animations in this game. But seriously! In TS2, personality was reflected through animations! Sims would talk differently, walk differently, sit differently! We can choose walkstyles in CAS and Emotions affect animations as well, so this may be a lost hope. But it would help!

7. Okay, seriously though, Traits! The fact that we can only have 3 is pretty sad, ngl. And teens get 2. And children get 1!? So what's the personality of my Dog-Loving child? We have 4 trait categories and only 3 slots. It was once said that they start to overlap and cause issues, but clearly (since you can have many reward traits and character value traits and career traits) this isn't true. Also, I play with mods that allow you to add more traits and I don't see that as a problem. The core of the trait needs to be reworked. Compare TS3 Bookworm with TS4 Bookworm, for example. Again, yes, there are reward traits that award the same effect, but those are addons. Maybe block them from sims with conflicting traits because it's already included in their trait!
    bookworm.jpg

Also, Lifestyles was supposed to be a big personality game changer, wasn't it? I don't have Snowy Escape yet, but I hear nothing about this anymore. People were losing interest the more we learned about them. Do they not work like people thought?
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The fact that we have less trait slot and less traits option to choose is insulting especially when none of those traits actually matters as BreeNilla said, so what's the bookworm in Sims 4 actually do? Analyze the book to get inspired? Lol
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2020
    Why not make it the priority?
    CAS & Build in TS4 is the greatest its been in the series (imo). I love other unique features like the gallery and first person view.

However, what is a life simulator withour sims that dont feel alive? They all feel the same to me. Because of this I dont play the Sims 4. I try every couple months but always looses my interest. I was very intrigues by the sentiment and lifestyle idea, but by watching reviews and reading others experiences, it doesnt seem to make that much of a change. Your sims still all act the same. I think the emotion system needs to be completely uprooted or at least major new functions need to be at play to make the sims feel dynamic.

There are so many ways to do this: attractions systems, more trait slots, more dynamic traits, personality sets, fears, wants, memories etc

How would you #FixThePersonalities ? (Lets get this trending next please...)

I do agree to a certain extent. I would personally like to see better family interactions. But, my best advice to you would be to not solely depend on watching reviews and reading other's experiences. You should try it out for yourself and see how you like it. People with negative points of view are always going to be the most that you see so you are only getting one side of the story.

Oh, and don't forget that they can't do anything that would offend someone! I remember the Sims 2 stuff as you highlighted above (which I absolutely loved) but some of that may be seen as insulting someone who can't have children or someone with a mental disorder. They have to be careful with everything they do. Look at the last expansion for example, they removed something so as not to offend the Korean players after some of use had purchased the pack! What seems perfectly OK to you or to me, may be a total slap in the face to another player. This plays into every decision that is made about this game. So, if you think your Sims act like the Borg (Galacticgal will get that one ;) ) you are right. It's a safe way to do things. Just so you know, I don't agree with that at all. I wish they would add complainer as a trait then no one can complain.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    But, my best advice to you would be to not solely depend on watching reviews and reading other's experiences. You should try it out for yourself and see how you like it.

Oh, and don't forget that they can't do anything that would offend someone! I Look at the last expansion for example, they removed something so as not to offend the Korean players after some of use had purchased the pack!

As far as the reviewers or critics of the sentiments & lifestyle features i tend to agree with their outlook on TS4 and they want the same things I do, so I trust their opinion that it doesnt add much. Besides I DID try to test out the sentiments myself. I played a family for one hour and im not exaggerating when I say I was bored out of my mind. I couldnt go on longer to really see it in action myself so on occasion i will watch reviews/play throughs to see how it works out. Plus threads on here too.

As far as the sensitivity stuff im not even gonna touch that right now lol just talking about personality (̶L̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶3̶4̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶l̶l̶ ̶s̶u̶d̶d̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶s̶a̶p̶e̶a̶r̶)̶
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »
    The fact that we have less trait slot and less traits option to choose is insulting especially when none of those traits actually matters as BreeNilla said, so what's the bookworm in Sims 4 actually do? Analyze the book to get inspired? Lol

Its because the emotions drive the personality which is so backwards.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Scobre @bella_goth
    But we have most of those same traits and some different ones that are more specific (We don’t have Serious for instance, but we have serious traits like Bookworm and now Proper). And if the points were in the middle of the spectrum it meant absolutely nothing. Sims on average only had a few extremes once all their points were applied.

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

That doesn’t give more of a variety than what we have. Sims felt more similar then (to me) than they do now.

It would be like if they cut our current traits back to 10 and sims just got different combinations of any 3 of those. That doesn’t sound better to me.

I like the personality system/points better too. Actually i think a combo of personality points AND traits will give sims the dynamic they need.

Especially when some things dont make sense as a trait. Vegetarian is not a personality. That should be in a "sim diet" section not your core self.

In TS2 i think the more for example nice points you had the better it was to befriend people. You may have not had obvious special interactions like TS3 but there are like hidden scores that do affect the way your simd behave.

I think itd be best to have personality sets and something like 'quirks' instead. Small things that add more identity to your sims!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    @babajayne but it doesn't have to be exactly like in the sims 2,
    the sims 4 has a problem and it's the AI, no matter the amount of traits or the amount of personality points because the base itself is flawed, which means all sims do the same, act the same, have the same reactions. traits are only there to pretend a personality but their reality is they're so "slightly" coded that they end up being pointless.

what i meant then, is that with the personality points your sims would feel more varied because you wouldn't really notice the traits incongruences, for instance, an evil sim seems to be only meant to be evil but we see how they keep queuing non evil interactions. cuz traits are too generic and they need to be more strongly coded in order to make sense. the reason of this i think is devs in order to not pigeon hole sims, coded traits superficially just so there would be more choice for them, but i don't think it was the best idea given the gameplay.

if devs can't fix the base of the sims personality they should pick a system that fits it better so we don't notice its flaws as much. but if they can, it should be their priority now. for example, emotions really need a fix, they currently override personality because they were the main focus of the game. sims should be able to get mixed/overlapped emotions, and there needs to be more variety, more of them like fear and many others. i know it's hard to code emotions and make animations for each one of them while also adjusting their intensity and situation appearances while avoiding conflicts, but if devs could focus on fixing this it would be worth it for the game, variety on the gameplay is very important.

so, alongside an emotions rework the best solution would be to have personality points and keep traits. technically the extremes of each point is a trait, and with the points system we could have much more specific personality. of course traits would need to be more strongly coded in order to not get overridden or become pointless.

also, some current traits feel more like lifestyles and stuff, like other users mentioned they should be separated from traits, and use the traits slot to add more personality virtues or flaws.

long story short, devs should make some kind of slider for personality as well. what did we learn with the skintones? that presets are too generic, and that customizing intensity is important for the sims.
  • Options
    bella_goth wrote: »
    @babajayne but it doesn't have to be exactly like in the sims 2,
    the sims 4 has a problem and it's the AI, no matter the amount of traits or the amount of personality points because the base itself is flawed, which means all sims do the same, act the same, have the same reactions. traits are only there to pretend a personality but their reality is they're so "slightly" coded that they end up being pointless.
    I totally agree the AI is the problem, and posted that earlier in the thread.
    what i meant then, is that with the personality points your sims would feel more varied because you wouldn't really notice the traits incongruences, for instance, an evil sim seems to be only meant to be evil but we see how they keep queuing non evil interactions.
    Not in my game. My evil sims are always insulting or yelling at other sims for no reason. They get whims to be mean to another sim “from being near a friendly relationship”. My erratic sim is the only other sim who consistently does this.
    so, alongside an emotions rework the best solution would be to have personality points and keep traits.
    I wouldn’t have a problem with them ADDING a personality points system to the traits we have. I was just saying those personality points alone weren’t better.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    All sims are identical right now depending on their moods. Personality plays a very minimal role in this game. Sadly I rather give up the broken emotion system and get strong personalities back.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @babajayne sorry, i tagged you but forgot why and ended up posting feedback to the thread itself and op's main point. my example was meant to say sims don't usually follow their traits even with their respective moodlet, like loner sims going to crowded places, or sims who love outdoors staying inside playing blic bloc. i chose the evil sims trait because it's a complain i've seen a lot. on my games, my sims do mean interactions regarding of their traits. they all really do the same regarding of their traits, it's one of the points i was trying to explain.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    This is my list of things I want to see in order from most important to least.
    1. Bug fixes
    2. Sim personalities: more impactful traits, wants and fears, overhauled whims, attraction system, overhauled emotions.
    3. More meaningful gameplay
    4. CAS: More eye/hair colors for every age group, ability to make skin details like moles and freckles be passed from parent to child, more skin tones for babies.
    5. BB: Matching furniture
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    IMHO - these things are more important than personality in the game:
    • matching cabinets and counter tops
    • furniture sets that coordinate with each other
    • ability to add more lots to worlds
    • and number one = fix ALL the bugs
  • Options
    @bella_goth No worries.
    The traits do give our sims some unique autonomy, but there could be more of it, and it’s muddied by the things that ALL sims do autonomously. And then muddied further by emotions. No part of the system is perfect. But when people say their evil sim never does anything evil, I have to say I have a different experience, I just wanted to give credit where it’s due. Sure it needs improvement but there’s some autonomy there.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

I beg to differ. I've never played the sims to play a "doll house" game. I've played it since sims1 to get involved in the sims and their Lives. If their lives are all the same, and they are all "stepford", then matching counters, more lots etc, won't make a world of difference with immersion. Seriously. Having nice countertops and pretty scenery adds NOTHING to the game PLAY. And it's totally irrelevant to the sims in their little houses.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

I forgot something Very Important = All Water Being Swimmable!!!
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Disagree on an attraction system, I've tried the mods with it in the past and don't like it. I like to have control over who my sims date, I wouldn't want it forced on my game.

As for personalities I agree I'd like to see some improvements. Biggest issue is with townie sims. Traits only seem to affect the sims you're currently playing with (moodlets) and have no effect on townies which makes no sense. For example I want to create vampire sims that are unfriendly and unapproachable, it makes no sense to have a dark and menacing looking sim who will just has a normal happy conversation with my sims. You can give them traits like loner, evil, etc, but it literally will not affect them unless you're playing with them?

If they ever add fairies to the game I hope better personalities come with them. I want them to be mischievous and tricky to talk to. I want them to be permanently playful and lively. What I don't want is Eliza Pancakes in a wig because at the moment that's what we'd get as every sim has the same personality.

I would guess what you're noticing is the problem of NPCs generally having a "role" to play that informs some, or most, of their behavior. I don't think this generally overrides traits unless it's something service-based like a maid, but I would guess that sometimes the special priorities are high enough or distinct enough as to make personality less important and end up diminishing it in the process.

There also just clearly needs to be better filtering for some roles. For example, if I am a super famous sim showing up at a venue and in a max relationship with another sim, it doesn't make a lot of sense for that sim to be showing up as a swooning "fan." But I digress. That's just a semi-related thing that kind of annoys me.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't remember much about the Sims 2 these days but one thing I do remember is that I would go out of my way to avoid romance sims in that game. As much I do want improvements to the personalities of the Sims 4 sims I do not want them to have so much personality that I actually find it annoying and obnoxious to play with at the same time.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't remember much about the Sims 2 these days but one thing I do remember is that I would go out of my way to avoid romance sims in that game. As much I do want improvements to the personalities of the Sims 4 sims I do not want them to have so much personality that I actually find it annoying and obnoxious to play with at the same time.

Yes they dont make good husbands lol!! But i love having sims with ton of character. Makes my game feel alive. If i really hate a sim's personality ill use cheats to tweak them or just delete the sim altogether.

• Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    As EA once said about toddlers and pools

"too expensive" or "too hard to make"

I doubt they will take all that time for a free update. They're here for money to be honest.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I agree with the OP 100%--it's because of the entirely predictable personalities and sameness that I don't play much anymore.

Traits need to be far more dominant. If I give a Sim traits like angry, hot-headed and evil, I expect them to be in a sour mood most of the time, as someone in real life would be. Instead, a Sim with those traits is every bit as outgoing and friendly as any other Sim, and that's wrong
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Scobre @bella_goth

Neat OR Sloppy
    Lazy OR Active
    Serious OR Playful
    Shy OR Outgoing
    Grouchy OR Nice

There were more than the extremes with personality points. There was a middle dynamic too to them.

I love the idea of combining them @StrawberryYogurt. It would bring the best of both worlds. I love brain storming threads like this and bouncing off ideas with my fellow Simmers. It gives me that warm hugs feels. I feel like there are far too many positive only traits focused on challenges. I kind of miss the goofy and negative ones. Technophobe and hydrophobe were fun traits. Some other fun Sims 3 ones and was interesting reading over some of the removed traits too here such as good at massages, likes giving hugs, hates reading, and worrywart:
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Trait_(The_Sims_3)#List_of_traits
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller