March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has less advanced genetics than previous Sims games?

124...Next

Comments

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Also, I have to point out that Sims 4 doesn't mix the parents features to create a kid. Like, you can inherit your mom's nose or your father's nose in Sims 4, when irl you could get someone's nostrils, someone's bridge, someone's nose bulb, etc... As well as inheriting stuff from ancestors.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    Also, I have to point out that Sims 4 doesn't mix the parents features to create a kid. Like, you can inherit your mom's nose or your father's nose in Sims 4, when irl you could get someone's nostrils, someone's bridge, someone's nose bulb, etc... As well as inheriting stuff from ancestors.

I think it will be quite hard, because it will require separate presets for all this features. But that would be awesome actually. Sometimes you want that certain nose bulb for your sim, but nostrils are wrong.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2020
    Unfortunately, there isn't much information about TS3 genetics from the person(s) who actually worked on it. Or so I have yet to find.

I want to dispute the misconception that TS3 has no dominant and recessive traits because it does.

I'll use some of my families as an example. Here are all 14 born in-game children from my Rumbaa family.

1st Born: Jonathon
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Jonathon-2.png

2nd Born: Carlston
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Carlston.png

3rd Born: Genesis
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Genesis.png

4th Born: Paige
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Paige.png

5th Born: Ryne
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Ryne.png

6th & 7th Born: Hunter and Choice (Hunter is the only child that came out with a recessive hair color.)
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Hunter.png

Rumbaa-Genetics-Choice.png

8th & 9th Born: Velvet and Jules
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Velvet.png

Rumbaa-Genetics-Jules.png

10th Born: Dallin
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Dallin.png

11th & 12th Born: Faith & Ryin (For some reason Ryin didn't inherit any facial features and took on a preset Sim which I changed.)
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Faith.png

Rumbaa-Genetics-Ryin.png

Screenshot-512.jpg

13th Born: Alex
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Alex.png

14th Born: Madison
    Rumbaa-Genetics-Madison.png

One of Carlston's daughters has black hair which she inherited from her grandmother and in this case a recessive hair color trait of both parents.

Screenshot-861.jpg

Screenshot-864.jpg

And yes as previously mentioned, recessive traits are traits that people are carriers of but don't actually possess the trait themselves. For example, the grandmother's dominant hair color is black (what she actually looks like), the grandfather's dominant hair color is brown and the recessive hair color(s) in their DNA are from generations before which can be passed down to their offspring if their partner also matches the recessive hair color(s). The grandparents were created in CAS and are the first generation so the game picked their recessive traits.

Rumbaa_Punnett_Square.png

Using the Rumbaa family in a Punnet Square shows blonde being a recessive trait. However, that's not to say that the other parents dominant hair color doesn't also become a recessive trait. In that case the daughter with the black hair, black hair is also a recessive hair color for Carlston that he inherited from his mother as a carrier.

In all the iterations of The Sims that I'm aware of since TS2, no feature exists to choose your Sim's recessive traits during CAS and seems to be set at random except based on the genetic information from past generations in-game.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited December 2020
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there isn't much information about TS3 genetics from the person(s) who actually worked on it. Or so I have yet to find.

I want to dispute the misconception that TS3 has no dominant and recessive traits because it does.

I'll use some of my families as an example. Here are all 14 born in-game children from my Rumbaa family.

Sims 3 sort of has genetics.

Most times kids will get the genetics from their parents. There's a chance they'll get it from a grandparent. Sims 3 also had a small chance that it would be a random trait not found on either the parent or grandparent. But there's no recessive or dominant between the hair colors independent of which generation the trait is found on.

Was one of the grandparents a blonde? Were either parent or grandparent "dying" their hair blonde? As Sims 3 goes by the hair color present, not the hair color they were born with. Which is why they don't have set in stone genetics.

Sims 2 had set in stone genetics and some townies dye hair. Remington Harris, one of the premade Pleasantview maids in Sims 2, shows up with brown hair. If he has kids with a Sim with either red or blonde hair straight out of CAS, the kids will be blonde or red headed depending on which gene shows up as blonde and red are equal to each other.

You could set recessive for CAS Sims in Sims 2 by making "parents" and then making a baby with them and then that baby would have recessive traits that weren't equal to their dominant traits.

That doesn't seem to apply to Sims 3.

Edit to remove the spoiler from the quote since post quoted was right above.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    There are a lot of features in TS3 that are hidden, as in, not something the player can pick as an option or even see in terms of it's not in the U.I. anywhere, if you're observant.

But yes TS3 AMB dye hair feature is not a real dye job and seems to be using the same exact code as changing the DNA hair color. I document my Sims original/DNA hair color(s) so if I "dye" it and any child or children that comes out with the dyed version I will change it to that parent's original/DNA hair color.

The grandparents do not exist because for the child with blonde hair along side the other siblings, their parents are 1st generation, they are the founders.

There's a case where two grandparents both have brown eyes and they are also founders. The parents both have brown eyes too but their daughter came out with blue eyes. Another instance where different founders both have brown eyes and one of their children came out with blue eyes and that toddler was rolled in CAS which I decided to keep.

But these are my experiences and/or tests based on what I see in my game and the basics I know about dominant and recessive traits. It's interesting, I think it goes beyond just hair/eye color too. Some of my Sims features are quite dominating, so much that even some of the grandchildren inherits certain facial features from the 1st generation.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    edited December 2020
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »

I think it will be quite hard, because it will require separate presets for all this features. But that would be awesome actually. Sometimes you want that certain nose bulb for your sim, but nostrils are wrong.

@somewhsome I don't think it would require separate presets for everything. Like, i use mccc and if i have 2 sims with eyes that used different presets (lets say an asian eye without lashes and a "white" eye shape with lashes) i can copy their facial features from the asian to the white one and the white one's eye will take the shape of the one with lashes, but with lashes on it, you know?! Its kinda buggy, and I have to go in cas and "touch" on the eye or the game won't pass this gene to their kids. Not sure if you get what i mean, but maybe if they separated presets and shapes from one another it could add a little bit more depht to the genetics. If i had a male sim with a chin with that dot on the middle marry a sim with a chin that doesn't have the dot but has a particular shape, their kid will either inherit the chin with dot + the father's chin shape, or the mothers chin and shape. If they improved that I could have kids inherith the chin with dot, but with the mothers shape.
    sorry if its confusing.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    @Forgeron yeah, I get what you're saying! That would be interesting indeed.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Sadly, I think the reason is the sims 4 is on Steam.They have sales for that now.So I think it will be a while before sims 3 comes on sale.(Good thing I already bought all of the expansion packs before than).
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    There might be something wrong with genetics at the moment. Dad has afro texture black hair, mom has straight black hair, child has .. red hair?? What.

Maybe there was a rogue sim in the woodpile? :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    "hair is either the mother's or father's and if one has an unnatural hair color the system often chooses the most random hair"

Not always. I had a black-haired male and black-haired female mate and produce a redheaded child. Neither had redheaded relatives either.