Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How they should handle clothing in sims 5.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    Yes to buying clothes, creating layers (maybe with a max of 3), color wheel and outfits unlocked for every gender and age.
  • Options
    ZinomanZinoman Posts: 14 New Member
    Ps2 Sims2 did the layered clothing perfectly, I can't believe the pc version is still stuck with the premade jacket-tshirt combos. Layering plus color wheel for everything is all I want. Plus buying more clothes after you exit CAS for the first time instead of changing your style for free would be nice. Same with haircuts. I guess I just really want to pay for more things in sims games lol.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Having a clothing shop is really nice too and since most of Sims 4 clothing seems to be of high quality looking or branded they can price it higher in simoleons, I really need simoleons sink since most of the build buy items are cheaps, like priced the high style jacket for 5000 simoleons a piece
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    I had an entirely different notion of what this thread would be about. I thought you were talking about things like being able to put a coat or sweater on over the outfit our Sim is already wearing. They finally gave us hats we could put on. Would be awfully nice to do the same with coats, jackets and cardigan sweaters, too.

As for purchasing the clothing, that's a good idea, too, after you get out of CAS, that is. Hate to see a Sim run around all naked, you know? Or just in their skivvies. Would be mighty cold depending on which season you start them out in. And embarrassing, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DruidOfDreamsDruidOfDreams Posts: 6 New Member
    Oh, I could get behind this. There are so many places where the Sims 4 feels lacking that it almost glares at you when you find something you'd really enjoy that you know you probably won't ever get **cough cough** bunk beds *cough*.
  • Options
    UrbzieUrbzie Posts: 5 New Member
    It feels so weird being able to create a starter sim with a haute couture dress, giant diamond rings and gold necklaces aso. I would like if you were given some starter clothing to choose from in CAS, but stores in the world would have different options which you could buy, I love how it was in The Urbz: Sims in The City. Also that the clothing affected how you were perceived and who you fit together with, if you were able to get into an event aso. Imagine how much more fun it might be to explore the new CAS items in a new pack if you go into the new world and into a new clothing store to buy it. Makes you feel that you had to earn that fancy dress, not that it was the same value as the hobo outfit and has no difference in how you are perceived.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Modesty would be a nightmare. I absolutely do not want any form of “I can see your ankles you harlot” or whatever that would entail and any random sim who thinks they get to have an opinion on what I dress my sims in can feed themselves to the cowplant.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    It would be great to build your wardrobe as you go. I think I would put so much more thought in my sims outfits if we did, and with value and style preferences, I would have an incentive to change them as time goes by. Overall, I like most of your ideas (if they are feasible - the style one seems potentially difficult because mixing and matching things can also be part of picking a style).

However, I would stay very far away from the modesty sub-system you suggest. Levels of skimpiness/prudishness are quite subjective and almost impossible to describe without seeming judgy. On top of that, it is a problem that is significantly more present for women. When's the last time you heard a man's clothes described as prudish or too revealing? The way you describe it, it also seems like there are some categories that would cause judgement from almost everyone except some sims with specific traits, and others that would still cause judgement from a large number of people, nothing neutral (especially considering not every simmer would have the same perception of what should be neutral). I have no interest in a system that consistently gives problems to only a subset of characters with no way of avoiding it that could eventually become a goal (as opposed to gaining money and buying nicer things).
  • Options
    bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    I also wish we could save the outfits that we create. Trying to remember what all you put together, with clothing, makeup and jewelry is a pain in the butt.

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited November 2020
    I ditto OP's thinking. I'd add a parameter for warm/cold though - how well each item adds to keeping the body warm in cold weather. A system that could also refer to a sim's personality, like a sim could prefer being not too warm, regardless of season.

I basically would like a system where all items were separated, and where we could add them layer by layer. I guess it gets more complicated unless all inner layers were like painted on the body, but it would be more fun dressing up a sim if outfit options were not stuck with preset accessories. Mix and match - combined with personal wardrobe. Wear a dress with a scarf or with a jacket, or wear a shirt with a tie, jumper, jacket, vest or nothing. It would add to personalities and styles in a much better way.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    They should have a locked clothing challenge mode or unlocked all clothing mode for people who wants to play differently.
  • Options
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    They should have a locked clothing challenge mode or unlocked all clothing mode for people who wants to play differently.

That’d be good. I know challenges are fun, but they’re kind of frustrating when they’re something you’re expected to do in every new save.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Nah, I like it the way it is. In Sims 2, I had that modded coat rack that allowed me to access everything in CAS because buying clothes is just a cumbersome barrier to the gameplay. I feel like the novelty would be interesting the first time but after that, having to worry about prices and shopping for all of my Vampires and magical beings and every time I switched households....uuughh.

I create and play many, many households. For me, this is too much realism (like doing laundry) that just doesn't do anything to actually enhance the gameplay. I'm already frustrated that I can't access all of the CAS in Sims 4 and have to use cheats and mods to get to some of the more interesting outfits. I wish they'd just release a master cheat for that already.

If they did this shopping/clothing system and there was a bypass cheat or master toggle to access everything, that would be fine I guess, as long as I didn't have to do it for every single household. But it would still take up development time and budget and I just think there are much more interesting things they could focus on.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Oh goodness. That sounds so... Tedious to have to deal with. I like the way we have it now where I can jump into CAS whenever I need.

@PlayerSinger2010 Yes, as it is a life simulator and life is tedious...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Oh goodness. That sounds so... Tedious to have to deal with. I like the way we have it now where I can jump into CAS whenever I need.

It’s also a game, and even really intense simulation games like MudRunner or Farming Simulator have things you can skip. It’s not like they make you apply for a driver’s license or something.

Unlocking clothes would be rewarding exactly once, and extremely annoying for when you just want to give the fancy rich sim a new outfit when you’re giving them a makeover.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

It’s also a game, and even really intense simulation games like MudRunner or Farming Simulator have things you can skip. It’s not like they make you apply for a driver’s license or something.

Unlocking clothes would be rewarding exactly once, and extremely annoying for when you just want to give the fancy rich sim a new outfit when you’re giving them a makeover.

@QueenMercy I never found it annoying in the Sims 2 neither did tons of people. AND you get to, grab a friend, go to the store and give them an actual, real makeover. It takes 5 seconds and it's much more fun and realistic. I'm sure there would be a cheat to skip that in case you want all clothes.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »

@QueenMercy I never found it annoying in the Sims 2 neither did tons of people. AND you get to, grab a friend, go to the store and give them an actual, real makeover. It takes 5 seconds and it's much more fun and realistic. I'm sure there would be a cheat to skip that in case you want all clothes.

I found it fun once or twice and then it was tedious. I downloaded the popular coat rack mod (as did tons of other people) so I could access everything in CAS for all of my households and not have to deal with it over and over again. There's only so much fun to be had taking your Sims out shopping every time you want them to have a different outfit. It's especially horrible for rotational players who just want to dress their Sims and move on to gameplay. Obstructive "realism" that drags out an activity without adding too much to the game is kind of a waste.

I think the solution would be to offer shopping racks for retail, like in Sims 2, but still allow the freedom to access CAS like they do now in Sims 4. Players could then choose one outfit per category for their Sims during creation, and then once in game, just keep immersion by taking them shopping for something new when they want a new outfit. They'd still have four other slots per category to shop for. There's no need to put limitations on accessibility for all players if you have the options in game for people to play it out as they "see fit". (Haha)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I think the solution would be to offer shopping racks for retail, like in Sims 2, but still allow the freedom to access CAS like they do now in Sims 4. Players could then choose one outfit per category for their Sims during creation, and then once in game, just keep immersion by taking them shopping for something new when they want a new outfit. They'd still have four other slots per category to shop for. There's no need to put limitations on accessibility for all players if you have the options in game for people to play it out as they "see fit". (Haha)

I think that would be fantastic way of doing things. I liked to shop with my sim in previous games because I'm a mundane real player, but I would also like ability to give my sims all the necessary outfits from the start of creation in the event I'm overly involved in my story and making my go "shopping" wouldn't fit it.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2020
    Actually in TS2 it depended on which rack you picked from to buy an outfit such as the cheap racks were $200 per outfit or per top and bottom. The more expensive racks (H&M) were $250 per whole outfit or per top and or per bottom. Many people used mods in the older games so they didn't have to shop anymore and just click on the Sim to change an outfit no matter where they were. Mainly this was used for machinma creators but others came along and stopped shopping for their Sims, too. So, when TS3 came along Maxis followed that mod's coding and put it in TS3. But I hated shopping in TS4 because there was really no point in it anymore. Everything was already available to a Sim and player.

If they want to keep that type of gameplay then they could at least go back to TS1 days when special outfits could only be purchased downtown. You couldn't get those outfits unless you purchased them. I have always missed TS1's ability for players to layer clothes, such as vests, jackets, belts, sweaters etc. I'm not a player who needs every outfit unlocked for all genders or ages. Nothing bothers me more than seeing a flabby granny wearing a belly button top, and flabby arms flying in the wind, with a skirt that looks like it needs some underwear attached.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I would want decades clothing from the roaring 20s until now. I would also like Victorian era clothing especially like ballgowns I would also like designer like prada hermes purses. Royalty like crowns for kings and queens and tiaras for princess and I guess small crowns for princes.
  • Options
    TinyWhiteThangTinyWhiteThang Posts: 15 Member
    Layers. The Sims 2 PS2 allowed you to choose a shirt then here's the good bit A JACKET ON TOP. Just- Sims 2 PS2 CAS options.
  • Options
    ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    I agree. It was very exciting to make an effort to buy clothes. Is there no mod with this change? I was able to see blocked CAS items in the community package "The Sims 4: Nifty Knitting Stuff". Would it be possible to block the clothes and have a coat rack or online store where to buy the outfits? I would really enjoy it. I wonder why they haven't done it yet
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited December 2020
    I hate how easy everything is in this version. I wish we actually needed to shop for clothes and food but I doubt they’ll change it because everyone wants the easy route....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I hate how easy everything is in this version. I wish we actually needed to shop for clothes and food but I doubt they’ll change it because everyone wants the easy route....

I agree