Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop advice

This discussion was created from comments split from: The Sims 4.5 - What would you like to see? (Interview with Graham).

Comments

• sumfranciscosumfrancisco Posts: 1 New Member
    I am looking to buy my daughter a laptop for Christmas as she really wants to play sims 4 on pc due to the cc and mods that she cannot get on her Xbox one. Please could you have a look at the spec below and let me know if this is ok to play the game. Please keep in mind that she is only 13 and that I am on a budget as a single mum so I don't need proper gaming set up for her just yet. I just need her to have a laptop that works for sims 4:

Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.3GHz, 3MB cache, 2.9GHz Turbo Boost)

15.6-inch 1366×768 display with LED backlighting

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

8GB DDR3 memory (1333MHz)

Brand new Crucial 240gb SSD

Intel HD integrated graphics

8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner

10/100 Ethernet, 802.11n wireless, and Bluetooth

6-cell Li-ion 48WHr battery and 9-cell 90WHr battery

Dimensions: 14.7 x 9.6 x 1.2 inches

Weight: 5.84lbs

All ports, card reader, DVD Drive, and webcam
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited December 2020
    I am looking to buy my daughter a laptop for Christmas as she really wants to play sims 4 on pc due to the cc and mods that she cannot get on her Xbox one. Please could you have a look at the spec below and let me know if this is ok to play the game. Please keep in mind that she is only 13 and that I am on a budget as a single mum so I don't need proper gaming set up for her just yet. I just need her to have a laptop that works for sims 4:

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Those specs aren’t going to be satisfactory. The integrated graphics will struggle even on the lowest settings, the processor is lacklustre (dual core and nearly 10 years old), and that hard drive is tiny.

No matter the budget or how good the deal is, you’re wasting your money on this computer.

I’d be starting with a GTX 1660 or an RX 580 for a GPU.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2020

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Intel integrated graphics are the worst graphics in the market, so that laptop is going to be overheating a lot playing it. Believe me I've done it and made some adapters spark overplaying the Sims games before. Invest in tablet with keyboard for her to take to school and save up for a gaming computer just for safety. That is low memory too. I have a 1 TB and still had to upgrade to a 2 TB SSD external drive for my games. I would just assume every pack has 8GB memory required for safety for room for pictures and future patches and bug fixes. Pretty much these are the games that low PC/laptops can play without the computer breaking: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/269774-best-games-you-can-play-on-laptops-and-low-end-pcs

Think of it like a car, if you put diesel gas in a car, it is not compatible and will stop running. Same with running AAA games with DLC on low end computers/laptops. It just won't work and will end up breaking the computer. Just risking a lot of unneeded headaches and money in the long run. You have the option well to buy a stock computer like buying a car off the lot, or option to buy a customized computer which can be cheaper off a site like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/ I would recommend spending at least $600 on a computer to run a $780 and counting game. Like something like this while it can run the Sims 4 is considered old now: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Tq9G3C Tech is constantly changing.

This is my build I use from 3 years ago, only the SSD drive is new: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cGfx9N
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member

Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

What is your budget and does she also need a laptop for school?
  • ZenSimbuildsZenSimbuilds Posts: 29 Member
    > @So_Money said:
    > Those specs aren’t going to be satisfactory. The integrated graphics will struggle even on the lowest settings, the processor is lacklustre (dual core and nearly 10 years old), and that hard drive is tiny.
    >
    > No matter the budget or how good the deal is, you’re wasting your money on this computer.
    >
    > I’d be starting with a GTX 1660 or an RX 580 for a GPU.

----- ^^agree. its a waste to buy something that wont run it well. when you could save to buy something guaranteed to last. a lot of simmers love the acer nitro,its a budget gaming laptop that has gtx 1660 for like $800. I have one and love it.
  • TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    edited December 2020
    Even with 16GB of RAM, my game not only looked bad but it also stuttered a little, which I have never had lag in TS4 before, not once.

So, on-board graphics won't play this game very well, in my opinion.

Thats because RAM means nothing these days to play videogames, but you didnt know this of course. Most games use only 8gb of RAM today. A few use 16GB. And almost none of them (i dont know any game that uses up to 32 GB! lol). What matters is the VRAM, more than anything. And this does apply to laptops or any other computer.

Specially with the Sims 4, you dont even need to use a mid-gamma videocard. A 1050ti is probably considered today a low-end card, and is more than enough a hundred times to move sims 4 on ultra settings. And you have it with 6gb vram options. More than enough. A 1660ti is already too much (even if it is already an "old" videocard) and probably way too expensive to even think on it. And its only a mid-gamma card.

And its not about this game particularly, its all games. Videogames dont perform very good on integrated cards, not now, not since the beginning of times lol.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, split this off into it's own discussion. Let's keep things civil and help the OP out here.