Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is it that People claim that The Sims 4 is dying down even when it is proven to be a success?

Comments

  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2020
    Probably due to what you see on forums and fan forums which sometimes it feel it's just negative complaints (though the majority of complaints is more than justified), BUT what's not accounted for is the fans that more than likely just don't voice their opinions and never online. The consumers that's not really a part of the sims fandom but just like the franchise.

    People always seem to forget there's far more sims fans offline as well. Then of course, even with people that do complain there's still a high chance they'll more than likely buy a new pack when it comes out if it's something that either want or just a compulsive buyer and completionist. (Terrible love and hate relationship.)

    Unless you got packs that just don't appeal to more than half the community where you get so many dislikes than likes (Journey to Bantuu *cough*).
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited December 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Where is the proof that the game is "A proven success"? I mean, when Sims 2 and 3 sold like hotcakes EA had no problem slapping sales numbers around and touting them as some of the best selling PC games ever. Sims 4.......Silence.

    https://simscommunity.info/2020/08/02/the-sims-4-was-among-the-top-10-best-selling-pc-games-in-june-2020/

    Oh nice, it was the 10th best selling game in June!......In June.....One Month. Out of all the years this game has been on sale. The same month where NOTHING came out except for The Last of Us. For all we know, Sims 4 could've sold 5000 copies that month. Maybe even less.

    But it's 2020. It's impressive for a game from 2014 to be a top seller in 2020. Also, if you read the article, it says that there are more than 30 million unique players.

    ETA: At some point this year, they gained 10 million.

    https://simscommunity.info/2020/01/30/the-sims-4-has-become-the-best-selling-base-game-in-the-franchise/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,358 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Where is the proof that the game is "A proven success"? I mean, when Sims 2 and 3 sold like hotcakes EA had no problem slapping sales numbers around and touting them as some of the best selling PC games ever. Sims 4.......Silence.

    https://simscommunity.info/2020/08/02/the-sims-4-was-among-the-top-10-best-selling-pc-games-in-june-2020/

    Oh nice, it was the 10th best selling game in June!......In June.....One Month. Out of all the years this game has been on sale. The same month where NOTHING came out except for The Last of Us. For all we know, Sims 4 could've sold 5000 copies that month. Maybe even less.

    This? This is a bad faith argument. I present an answer to your challenge, but it doesn't support your position, so you deliberately choose to come up with a spurious, negative interpretation of the data. Never mind that in the same article, there's a link to a previous one about the Sims 4 being the best selling game in the franchise.

    And this sort of junk argument is why people feel that the fandom is toxic.

    Have a nice life.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,660 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    cause they have the naive belief that ts5 would magically fix everything they don't like about game at the moment and so they want to believe TS4 is ending

    ignoring that ts5 would still be released by same old EA with exact same issues or potential worse issues

    I don't look for magical cure I look for them to fix the holes in the game one by one leaving none and for that I need TS4 to run another few years

    they have hardly touched upon pack themes in my want list anyway so there is plenty left to add

    I just recently watched the new Pixelade Video before posting this post. That makes me wander if the game is really dying. But it looks like it won't. I agree. It is how annoying it was about how people wanted TS5 so they can move on from TS$ as like TS5 will magically fix everything

    You're right. TS5 isn't going to magically fix anything. But TS4 isn't going to magically fix itself too. So take your pick. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think it’d be foolish to say The Sims 4 and many of its packs did not sell well between the fact it’s a niche genre and the packs get discounted almost immediately. But I also believe it certainly could have been so much bigger than it was, not only commercially and financially, but bigger in terms of its gameplay and content.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sims 4 actually has the biggest player base yet for the franchise, so it is doing really well and even better since it got outside its comfort zone of playing safe and going the exclusive route instead:
    "Around the world, our multi-platform Sims community continues to grow, and
    our Sims 4 player base on PC and console is now the largest in franchise history."

    https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Q2-FY21-Prepared-Remarks-Final.pdf

    People are just in denial with a lot of facts these days despite the numbers proving them wrong. Sims 4 is doing extremely well and thankfully to those that have provided constructive feedback like sparkfairy with toddlers who actually had the guts to reach out to the Gurus to get things done, the game has gotten better than from six years ago. Basically the franchise continues to grow and reach out to more Simmers and be inclusive towards them. Those who enjoy the game and provide constructive feedback will be the ones who will still be apart of the Sims community 10 years from now I think while others will probably move onto other games instead or maybe they'll stay with the Sims too because of brand loyalty. End of the day, numbers and finances prove how successful any game to EA and its investors regardless of any of our opinions.

    Oh no. I bolden the part of your statement. Seeing now that it is true then I assume that those videos really are just for clickbaits afterall. I was afraid at first since I loved the game and that the game is really dying. Thank You for the info!
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    The Sims 5 will be risky for EA, currently they have super popular The Sims 4 available for PC, MAC, consoles and next-gen consoles with growing fanbase and stable selling. Why should they abandon the game which can be still expanding and updating? Due to access to the internet connection, EA can still improve that game. This wasn't available for previous series in such scale. What about growing community. For example I am new TS4 player, because I started to play seriously this year after around more that 10 years of break from this series. My last game before was TS3 base game bought on premiere. What is more, currently because of sales, EA can sell more their expansions in poorer countries, and huge markets as India. I know that some people are disappointed because of lack of tones of things, but there is still a loot of room to develop The Sims 4. Lets be honest. EA know what to do and know how to make money. They do not create The Sims 5 because of lazy, but because of The Sims 4 is still worth to be improving.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2020
    haneul wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Where is the proof that the game is "A proven success"? I mean, when Sims 2 and 3 sold like hotcakes EA had no problem slapping sales numbers around and touting them as some of the best selling PC games ever. Sims 4.......Silence.

    https://simscommunity.info/2020/08/02/the-sims-4-was-among-the-top-10-best-selling-pc-games-in-june-2020/

    Oh nice, it was the 10th best selling game in June!......In June.....One Month. Out of all the years this game has been on sale. The same month where NOTHING came out except for The Last of Us. For all we know, Sims 4 could've sold 5000 copies that month. Maybe even less.

    But it's 2020. It's impressive for a game from 2014 to be a top seller in 2020. Also, if you read the article, it says that there are more than 30 million unique players.

    ETA: At some point this year, they gained 10 million.

    https://simscommunity.info/2020/01/30/the-sims-4-has-become-the-best-selling-base-game-in-the-franchise/

    That's awesome! It's almost as if the BG sells for 10€ on steam and origin most of the time and so a lot of people get it for 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and gigles and then stop playing it because it's trash! Like...so impressive. Not to mention you can't get TS2 anymore so people have to content with.... other games... :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    I think with dying ppl more associate that core gameplay is shallow and doesnt 100% reflect a simulation game anymore, more like a simulation for Teens and YA Stages. The packs are always lacking something that would've been, could've been great but wasnt implemented.

    So imo its more a "The Sims" as we once knew it is dying.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

    Lyndsey said My First Pet Stuff was #4 for the most popular stuff packs a few years back. Number 4. You'd think based off what people say on the internet about that pack it would be dead last.

    @eternalrainn Which is exactly what is wrong with this community but that's another story.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    But remember that you can buy Cats and Dogs with My First Pet Stuff for free as a bundle on console.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm just playing my game and enjoying it on a new high spec. laptop even more in spite of its' faults or seeming bugs. There seem to be less now than before. I just wish EA/Maxis are more truthful about the specs. you should really have to play it satisfactorily.

    When a new iteration comes out (if it does) I'll keep on playing Sims 4 as they'll all be complaining about the next one and maybe leave us in peace!
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited December 2020
    I have mixed feelings about Sims 4, but I have no plans to continue this series after Sims 4. I don't pretend that Sims 5 is going to be a better game, and actually expect it to be the same nonsense with perhaps improved graphics and alot less lots.

    I wish I could quit EA all together, but I am looking forward to more Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Hope they don't ruin those two, but they probably will.

    Edit to say this sounds more negative than I mean it too. I do like alot of things about Sims, DA & ME, just don't really agree with some of the EA decisions like Multiplayer in games that were better without it.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Hi hello. I picked it up this year because it was on sale and stuff. There's loads of people who just sort of casually enjoy this type of game because there is nothing else like it within the market. No other game quite gives you a household of people to control and the architecture design around it. And it's widely available on pretty much all platforms. Whether or not it's that great on console might be another issue but it is there.

    This is widly one of those games that likely has a silent majority that sits back and is quiet about actually playing the game and just enjoy what they enjoy.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    Well if the game were dying would that surprise anyone at this point?
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I think it is dead in terms of significant gameplay features. It just seems to have changed to be a pretty backdrop with lackluster gameplay which is trying too hard to be politically correct.
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    It's hard to tell if the game is actually dying or if people are just unhappy with the game, which are two different things. I think people are just saying that because TS4 has been going on for so long. To be fair, after a game, any game, goes on for a few years, people start saying the game is dying.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think it's more personal opinion that its dying than fact, money wise no it's not, money actually speaks more tbh than personal opinions, that's just the way businesses work, therefore overall not a dying entry of the series , its alive and well much too some people dismay 🤣
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think we only notice the 3 million vocal complainers.
    The remaining 17 million continues to play with their little Sims in utter peace and silence, happy out.
    This game ain’t dead yet.

    Any time a "Sims 4 is garbage, it's dead, this pack sucks and nobody asked for this" conversation comes up I just laugh. People seem to think a Sims forum, Reddit, and Twitter is the entire fan-base and all it's sales. Like you said there's MILLIONS more players that don't say anything at all or even participate in internet forums.

    Lyndsey said My First Pet Stuff was #4 for the most popular stuff packs a few years back. Number 4. You'd think based off what people say on the internet about that pack it would be dead last.

    Not saying I don't agree with you, but couldn't this work both ways? The people who don't talk about TS4 online could also think negatively about the game. At the end of the day, money speaks more than any of us online can.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    I think we only notice the 3 million vocal complainers.
    The remaining 17 million continues to play with their little Sims in utter peace and silence, happy out.
    This game ain’t dead yet.

    Not saying you're wrong, but is that many people complaining normal for any game? Since TS4 isn't perfect, customers will complain, but I don't think so much of the community would be unhappy with the state of the game for no good reason. All the simmers, with the exception of a few, I see complaining are complaining for valid reasons.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Anger garners likes and/or upvotes.Even in the microcosm that is this forum it is readily understood that if you want to accumulate upvotes you (1) say something nasty about another user and (2) say something unkind about the game or the devs.

    ORRRRR, there are many things we actually don't like about TS4 and feel like we have the absolute right to express that! And there are many of us simmers who've been playing since inception and, unlike "kids" of today, we know where the game started, as well as the progress it's made. So when we say that there are definite lacks in this game, we say so from a lot more experience than just playing a single version.

    I don't hold with being nasty about other people but I've no problem with people respectfully saying they don't like this or that, especially when they can tell you why. How about you stop calling them "anger gamers" and recognize they have this right.
  • Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    BreeNilla wrote: »
    bella_goth wrote: »
    the game has too many recycled content it's like players have already understood that ts4 can't really offer much more.
    Yeah...

    Also, TS4 appears to be doing well, but the base game is constantly on sale for super cheap and was even given out for free one week, so of course that will attract people. And some people see the advertising and are brought in for the one thing (like University, Occults, etc.) and people even buy the game just for the mods. But how long do they keep the player's attention? There are some people who play for casual fun and have only put a few hours in over a span of months, some people who haven't touched the game in months, some who buy it and realize it's not what they thought it would be and never touch it again, and some who play for a complete gaming experience.

    And people who play for hundreds of hours can see the flaws, especially those who have been around for years, and are getting exhausted.

    I kinda rambled, but my point is that I wonder how long new players stay interested in the game since older players are starting to get ready for something new. The random redesign from last year and the new advertisements (and Star Wars) shows they're trying to make the game look fresh for maybe people who aren't hardcore sims players. But the game has been out for 6 years.

    Exactly! I'm a simmer from the beginning and I waited and waited and finally bought TS4 super cheap a year ago. Wasn't too happy with it but it was shiny and new so I've made a few purchases to try and improve it. It does and it doesn't. Seasons was awesome with the way the wind blew the trees, but University was a complete let down. Like basement let down. The toddlers are pretty cute but I miss being able to direct my pets. And I miss the horses. I still play TS3, quite a bit, and use TS4 as a "palate cleanser"!
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Idk man, alot of people are toxic on the internet in general, everything is dying or cancelled or whatever....
    everything get's dramatised and made more important than it actually is....that's just the internet.

    Sims 4 is just a game...people can hate it or love it as much as they want imho, doesn't change whether or not I enjoy the game.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Oh no. I bolden the part of your statement. Seeing now that it is true then I assume that those videos really are just for clickbaits afterall. I was afraid at first since I loved the game and that the game is really dying. Thank You for the info!
    Your welcome. Yeah clickbait is clickbait and draws a certain crowd I guess. Some people will always be in denial. But I agree each person has their own favorite iteration. Sims 2 was mine and it wasn't until the Sims 4 I joined the Sims community. So majority of Simmers of old don't even venture onto reddit or Twitter or forums. They rather spend their time making content for the game instead whether it is through videos or mods or CCs. modthesims2 which is now modthesims is one of the oldest Sims sites I've been apart of where many of us veterans like to hang out, while the kiddos prefer the newer social medias and fan sites.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top