Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any way to get your sim to speak English?

2...Next

Comments

• ElyssandarielElyssandariel Posts: 556 Member
    Sims have forever spoken simlish, and will forever speak simlish. Forever. and ever. Amen.
    tumblr_inline_mw78cm2WhN1qajk9h.gif
    Thicker Than Thieves: A sim legacy story

• lava_bubblelava_bubble Posts: 16 New Member
    > @Duncarin said:
    > lava_bubble wrote: »
    >
    > Other games have more than 1 language in it
    >
    >
    >
    > So does this but it will only ever have one spoken language.

Doubtful. Not if the game wants to evolve.
  • ProZackProZack Posts: 15 Member
    > @lava_bubble said:
    > > @Duncarin said:
    > > lava_bubble wrote: »
    > >
    > > Other games have more than 1 language in it
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > So does this but it will only ever have one spoken language.
    >
    > Doubtful. Not if the game wants to evolve.

There's enough unique people shelling out money, that I don't think EA is too worried about evolving.
    ♛ 𝓠𝕦𝕖𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕖 ♛

"Segregation was wrong when it was forced by white people, and I believe it is still wrong when it is requested by black people." ~ Coretta Scott King
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    TS4 what the others have said. I'm afraid you will just have to accept reality. As a consolation of sorts, I've heard both English and Spanish in TS2, just a word or two here and there, no long phrases.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Can you even imagine what people would make their Sims say if it was English? Not a T rating for sure....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    > @Duncarin said:
    >
    > Other games have more than 1 language in it
    >
    >
    >
    > So does this but it will only ever have one spoken language.

Doubtful. Not if the game wants to evolve.

It has evolved, from the days of the original Sims game through to the 4th iteration. It doesn't need to change from Simlish to evolve.

Is this just a deliberate wind up thread?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    > @Jarsie9 said:
    >
    > Wondering if there is a way to make them speak English instead of gibberish?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sims speak Simlish. It's one of their many charms. It's also what makes it possible for players to keep from getting bored out of their gourd from hearing the same old English phrases over and over and over again. Besides, not everyone who plays this game speaks English. Simlish is the perfect compromise.

Why don't they just record all types of languages into the game?

My guess would be the cost of it. Besides, what if they missed a language? Personally, I like Simlish and prefer to make up the dialogue myself. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I did wish sims from a new world spoke another version of simlish to add some variety. It can even be used as a skill level and you unlock socials as your strength in the language grows. Be cool to see but difficult to implement
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I did wish sims from a new world spoke another version of simlish to add some variety. It can even be used as a skill level and you unlock socials as your strength in the language grows. Be cool to see but difficult to implement

There is a mod for this actually. Of course, you hear the same words, because a modder can't voice over everything, but you can learn another languages and can't communicate normally without a skill in that language.
    https://mods.frankkulak.com/#/ts4/languagebarriers
    I would like to see something like this in Sims 5 maybe, doubt they'll add language system to the Sims 4.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    If there was I'd probably play with the sound on - I do not like Simlish.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Besides the limited amount of lines that could be allowed in Sims, due to the timefactor - Sims time goes so much faster. There is also another factor - If Sims spoke english you would know exactly what they said to each other and a lot og the drama would disappear. I have a Sims now, who on a regular basis gets upset because some one close has said or done something upsetting to her. I do not for sure know who it is even if I got my suspicions
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

There is a mod for this actually. Of course, you hear the same words, because a modder can't voice over everything, but you can learn another languages and can't communicate normally without a skill in that language.
    https://mods.frankkulak.com/#/ts4/languagebarriers
    I would like to see something like this in Sims 5 maybe, doubt they'll add language system to the Sims 4.

Oh this is awesome thanks! I will try downloading it!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    This is a funny question :)
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Hi, welcome to the Sims. When the first game came out 20 years ago, the characters spoke this gibberish language. This was probably to make the game more universal. Not only that, but this allows the game in have popular songs by the original artists, but in Simlish. I'm pretty sure the royalty payments are less expensive.

Since RPGs use dialog to convey information important to the story, and The Sims has no "story" besides what the player makes up in their mind, there's not much reason for including conversations about what people had for lunch or cute baby stories.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most players find Simlish charming, unfortunately for you and a few others who wish the game used their native languages.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    Nope they can only speak simlish, the reason for this, for much easier development for the game and plus it would be rather irritating sims constantly repeating themselves in the language you speak, imagine you sim keeps saying the same jokes over and over again lol, having them speak in a made up language, you can decide yourself what they are saying in your story because you dont understand them lol
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    This thread is from 2014.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    This thread is from 2014.
    Not to mention that the OP seems to be a throwaway account.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there, I'm closing this thread because it was necro'd. Please keep the necroposting rules in mind. Thank you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top