Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has less advanced genetics than previous Sims games?

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited December 2020
    I am not a fan of Sims 4 genetics. There is a definite lack of recessive genes. Kids predominately look like one parent or the other. And then there's the missing jaw issue. I always have to give my children jaws, especially later generations. They'll have chin for days but no jaw. It's the weirdest thing ever.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2020
    Is it like this bug report? It just has two Me Too's, so it can’t be a widely experienced issue.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-CAS-Small-chins-with-3rd-male-premade-option/td-p/6883429
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Honestly I'm not bothered at all by the simpler genetics system in Sims 4, it gets the job done, I always look forward to seeing how my sims' children will look like aging up.

Pet genetics in Sims 4 however are pathetic, Sims 3's pet genetics are UNMATCHED, it's always so cool to see how Sims 3 pets mix and match the different fur patterns and textures.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @netney52 If you'd like, you can download the game from a third-party website and play around with the genetics. I got my copy of the game from OldGamesDownload.com.

Thanks but I don’t think my laptop will take it as it’s a low end one. Also from what I’ve seen if the gameplay aspects of sims 2 I don’t think i will like it it seems too in-depth and difficult for my liking and gameplay style.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Is it like this bug report? It just has two Me Too's, so it can’t be a widely experienced issue.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-CAS-Small-chins-with-3rd-male-premade-option/td-p/6883429

That must be it. I gave it a me too in an instant. This has been a problem since launch. One of my founder Sims in the save I started shortly after the release was Graham Nardone (who uses this preset), so I have a lot of no chin offspring by now.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Update: The new update seems to have ruined genetics even more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VTD12olD2k
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    The sims 2 also had very limited trait options from what I’ve seen (never played unfortunately) so it was probably easier for them to put a genetics system into place - would be cool to see one with all the traits of the sims. Would be fun with freckles, eye color, hair color, etc to turn up generations later. I end up editing these traits in
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I noticed she said that Sims 2 was more realistic with black and brown hair being dominant and blonde and red being resesive, but that is not how it works in real life. I'm glad they moved away from that idea for Sims 3 and 4 and hope they never go back to it.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS2 had dna coded in the game. Other games after it don't. They really simplified genetics afterwards.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    I noticed she said that Sims 2 was more realistic with black and brown hair being dominant and blonde and red being resesive, but that is not how it works in real life. I'm glad they moved away from that idea for Sims 3 and 4 and hope they never go back to it.

@Sallycutecat Wait what? I'm pretty sure black and brown hair is dominant and blonde and red is recessive in real life too...
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    TS2 had dna coded in the game. Other games after it don't. They really simplified genetics afterwards.

@Sigzy05 Yeah true. The Sims 2 had programmed DNA for the Sims.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2020
    Personally I like ts3 genetics the best. I like to see the children come out as a mix between their two parents with a chance of getting either the mother's hair/eye color or the father's, and the skin color being from either parents or anywhere in between the two. I also love that the kids could inherit unnatural hair/eye colors as well. The only thing I didn't like about it was the random chance of mutation. That brown/green hair color, blonde hair with brown/green roots, and purple eyes were the worst when they showed up.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It puzzled me when TS3 came out and the genetics had taken a step back. You would expect next generation games to build and expand upon the foundations already set. That doesn't seem to be the case with the Sims as a series though. Each of the games has strengths and weaknesses but as far as genetics go, the Sims 2 was unmatched. I'd love to see the return of dominant and recessive genes. It was always fun in legacy play to see something come out in a great grandchild that you had maybe forgotten or weren't expecting. I miss those surprises and bits of realism.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SigmundSigmund Posts: 25 Member
    I like TS2 genetics best. They're more true to life. That being said, I enjoy TS4 for what it is, and I still play all three games depending on what I'm in the mood for.
    haneul wrote: »
    Maxis is EA now, though. I think the developers are proud of what they've done - they said that about the Star Wars pack. The Sims 4 is the most successful Sims' game in the only metric that really counts, after all. I just hope that they want to continue to improve the game where they feel that they can.

Are you talking about sales? If so, considering how many times the TS4 base game has been free on Origin, that's definitely inflated their numbers.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

@Sallycutecat Wait what? I'm pretty sure black and brown hair is dominant and blonde and red is recessive in real life too...

Hair, skin, and eye color aren't simple genes in real life. Meaning that there isn't just one gene that creates a single hair, eye, or skin color. Sims 2 does simply the genetics of those things compared to real life. I think that's what is meant by "not how it works in real life" rather than just the recessive and dominant status.

I hope they go back to a system closer to that as I love watching genetics play out.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

Red hair can definitely be dominant in RL. I have 3 girls, who are all grown now, 2 of them are brunette, and my youngest is a red head. Her hair was the color of a brand new shiny copper penny when she was born and thru-out most of her life, now her hair is a little darker. She has 3 children by her ex-boyfriend who has jet black hair (he's half Mexican), and 2 of her children are red-headed! The other is ash blonde.

When my redhead was born I was freaking out because I'm blonde and my ex-husband had dark brown hair. I found out after she was born that both of my great-grandmothers on my dad's side were redheaded (they were both dead so I had never met them nor saw pics of them). And the really odd thing was that all of my cousins on that side of the family had red-headed children too, and none of the parents were redheaded!

No colour is dominant over another. If someone with blonde hair and someone with black hair have a child the child has equal chance of having any hair colour from black to blonde. If they inherit both blonde and black our genietic code does not select black to be dominant, instead it could be either. If the darker hair colours were dominant then by now, the human race will all have the darker hair colours.
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2020

No colour is dominant over another. If someone with blonde hair and someone with black hair have a child the child has equal chance of having any hair colour from black to blonde. If they inherit both blonde and black our genietic code does not select black to be dominant, instead it could be either. If the darker hair colours were dominant then by now, the human race will all have the darker hair colours.

Just because a trait is dominant doesn't mean everyone will inherit that trait, some people will get recessive features. I'm pretty sure brown hair is dominant. Plus, eye colors can be recessive or dominant. Blue eyes are recessive while brown eyes are dominant but not everyone has brown eyes, I've seen quite a few people with blue eyes.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Red hair can definitely be dominant in RL. I have 3 girls, who are all grown now, 2 of them are brunette, and my youngest is a red head. Her hair was the color of a brand new shiny copper penny when she was born and thru-out most of her life, now her hair is a little darker. She has 3 children by her ex-boyfriend who has jet black hair (he's half Mexican), and 2 of her children are red-headed! The other is ash blonde.

When my redhead was born I was freaking out because I'm blonde and my ex-husband had dark brown hair. I found out after she was born that both of my great-grandmothers on my dad's side were redheaded (they were both dead so I had never met them nor saw pics of them). And the really odd thing was that all of my cousins on that side of the family had red-headed children too, and none of the parents were redheaded!

Both of you are showing that certain traits that lend itself to the lighter colors tend to be recessive over dominant. If there was no recessive or dominance, the hair colors would be more equal in representation.

Which is why recessive traits tend to "skip" generations. Some traits that cause the lighter hair colors are recessive. Red hair being the rarest and it is recessive. Because they will hide until they're paired up with themselves (or by themselves for genes on the X and Y chromosomes).

Hair color not being determined by a single gene just complicates matters. It's why there are so many variations of hair, eye, and skin color. Because it's not just one gene for each of them. It's multiple genes for each. Per Wikipedia, there are 13 different variations across 11 genes that deal with hair color.

And that is the thing, as humans have kids with people outside of their ethnic group (aka: group with similar genetics), the recessive traits of their ethnic group will go down. But given the chances of people with the recessive traits to meet up is still high enough that there is no evidence to say that any hair color is going to go extinct in the near future.
    edited December 2020

@Chicklet453681 That happens if two people have the recessive gene for red-hair in their DNA from past generations and if they have a baby there is a high chance the two recessive genes overpower the dominant one. It's the reason why red-haired people don't go extinct, if you've ever thought about it.
    Also a recessive gene, doesn't mean it will never be passed on to the child's actual appearence, it only means it will be much less likely to be passed on instead of the dominant one. That doens't make the red-hair "dominant", it's still a recessive gene. It can still get passed on though
    Source: Biology classes
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2020

@Chicklet453681 That happens if two people have the recessive gene for red-hair in their DNA from past generations and if they have a baby there is a high chance the two recessive genes overpower the dominant one. It's the reason why red-haired people don't go extinct, if you've ever thought about it.
    Also a recessive gene, doesn't mean it will never be passed on to the child's actual appearence, it only means it will be much less likely to be passed on instead of the dominant one. That doens't make the red-hair "dominant", it's still a recessive gene. It can still get passed on though
    This. Recessive doesn't mean it can't be passed on. It just means it's less likely to happen.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

If that's the case then how does this happen: my mum has dark brown hair, there is no blonde at all in her family, and yet both me and my brother are blonde.
    Also if I were to have a child and they have dark brown hair like my mum's then that would mean brown is recessive in me to have passed on to my child, and yet my hair is still blonde, making blonde a dominant gene in me.
    Dominant genes are the visible features we have while recessive is what is carried over to the next generation.
    It's not that one gene is more or less likely to be passed on, they all have equal chance. We all get half from our mother and half from our father. What genes we inherit is all luck of the draw, you either got it or you didn't. Meaning each gene has a 50, 50 chance of being inherited.
    Source: DNA testing sites

What I was meaning here is that in Sims 2 if one parent had brown hair and the other had blonde, the child always had brown hair when in real life they have equal chance of having either brown or blonde, which is how it's done in Sims 3 and 4.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member

If that's the case then how does this happen: my mum has dark brown hair, there is no blonde at all in her family, and yet both me and my brother are blonde.
    Also if I were to have a child and they have dark brown hair like my mum's then that would mean brown is recessive in me to have passed on to my child, and yet my hair is still blonde, making blonde a dominant gene in me.
    Dominant genes are the visible features we have while recessive is what is carried over to the next generation.
    It's not that one gene is more or less likely to be passed on, they all have equal chance. We all get half from our mother and half from our father. What genes we inherit is all luck of the draw, you either got it or you didn't. Meaning each gene has a 50, 50 chance of being inherited.
    Source: DNA testing sites

That's exactly what recessive genes are: they may not be visible for generations, but are passed on. That does not make blonde a dominant gene.
    Of course it is more complex that in the Sims, and hair color is defined by more than one gene. But dominance is not about a visibility of the trait.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited December 2020

What I was meaning here is that in Sims 2 if one parent had brown hair and the other had blonde, the child always had brown hair when in real life they have equal chance of having either brown or blonde, which is how it's done in Sims 3 and 4.

No, that's not true for Sims 2. If both parents were made in CAS, then yes, because they were both homozygous, meaning their dominant and recessive genes were the same, e.g brown or blonde. But a child of that couple may carry on a blonde gene as recessive and that gene may become visible in future generations.

Edit: I'm not really good at explaining biology, especially in English, but here's a good set of articles about how genetics in Sims 2 works: https://thesims2.livejournal.com/5219452.html
    And on Wiki: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Genetics
    Post edited by somewhsome on