Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting TS2 to work on windows 10

simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 2
I bought a top of the line computer for TS4 back in may, but now I want to play TS2 I already have the complete collection installed but it looks so crappy. Recently, I just found that I have all the actual disc. I bought an external hard drive and every time I insert the sims holiday collection disc 1 , then I run the program, it says “please insert disc 1” when in fact, that is the disc I have inserted. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to delete the old TS2 first?
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Hi @simlicious2015 , you might have better luck posting in The Sims 2 forum. Just a suggestion.🙂
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    Do you mean you have the Ultimate Collection from Origin? I fixed some of my graphics issues without mods using this guide: https://simscommunity.info/2016/04/27/the-sims-2-setting-up-the-resolution-windowed-mode-smooth-edges-sim-shadows/
  • MoonSimmer1MoonSimmer1 Posts: 24 Member
    Try somehow to copy the files from the disc 1 or even from all the discs to folders. If it still don't work, try to change the folders location. For exemple, if you have these folders you got as a copy from the CDs on desktop, try moving them on the downloads folder or any other location. You can even rename the folders to be more sure it will work. Hope it helps! 😇
  • fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    Destin2016 wrote: »
    Hi @simlicious2015 , you might have better luck posting in The Sims 2 forum. Just a suggestion.🙂

Hint *This is the Sims 2 section of the forum.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    @fluttereyes hint * It wasn’t originally posted here, hence the suggestion.🙄
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
    I installed Sims 2 on windows 7 after I saw this. I don't have ultimate collection, I have double deluxe and all the usual EP's and SP's. Rather than install each one and run them like we used to, I just installed all of them in order, then removed securom then played and it's working really well. I forgot just how awesome this game really was, loving it and rediscovering it.
  • NathanNowellNathanNowell Posts: 933 Member
    Hello can someone please help me. I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin (Windows 10 here). I was able to fix the black box issue by turning shadows to medium.

I have two remaining issues. 1) My game keeps flickering to the point it's annoying to play and messes with my eyes and I'm sure this can lead to a headache. 2) The water is a very light saturated blue and the coastline is so choppy it's 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

I've Googled how to fix this for the past hour, but nothing is helping. I cannot find the "Graphics Rules.sgr" anywhere. Config only shows three things: "Broadcast", "userProps", and "VideoCapture".

I run the game on administrator mode. I have a nvidia graphics card and made sure the game uses that to when playing. Someone please help me.

@EA and The Sims Team, I would literally pay like $200 to play The Sims 2 seamlessly today in 2020. Please someone help me!! I would appreciate it so much.
    edited November 2020
    I also wanna add the "smooth edges" is grayed out. I cannot alter it at all... And I don't have any resolution issues. There's an array of resolution options and I was able to choose the one that makes it fullscreen on my laptop..

And I don't have "TSData" anywhere. I searched my whole computer. No thread is helping. Do you think I should uninstall and then reinstall the game? Someone please help.
    Post edited by NathanNowell on
    Hello? Anyone?
    edited November 2020
    Bump this up. Someone help me. I made another thread that's more detailed to my specific case.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Bump this up. Someone help me. I made another thread that's more detailed to my specific case.

I was searching for this answer yesterday too. I dont see a smooth edges options and my game is constantly flickering glitch. The ocean in the neighborhood is a periwinkle color that blots out where the water is. I just try to ignore it while playing but id like a solution too.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2020
    Did either of you install the Graphics Rule Maker? Even on Windows 10 you have to get the older game to see your actual type video card or chip. Those are so new they aren't listed in the old code as accepted cards. Everyone has to use Graphics Rule Maker to be able to play TS2 and TS2UC no matter if on Windows 7 or Windows 10. But some flickering is caused by the refresh rate and anti aliasing on in the video card settings if it persists after using Graphics Rule Maker.

OP, you have to look in the actual program files not the document files.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    @cinebar thank you. The problem was that I already had the ultimate collection installed and I was trying to install the physical disc too.
  • Violet777Violet777 Posts: 95 Member
    I can't play TS2 anymore either on my new computer (Windows 10). I have installed the Graphics Rule Maker but it still crashes before I get to load into Pleasantview. Does anyone have any other suggestions please?
    I am MinicartTSR over at YouTube.

Happy Simming! :)
    I can't post leefish website who created the GRM. But you can ask for help there and see if you did things correctly to set up the Config files correctly. That might be the problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Violet777Violet777 Posts: 95 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I can't post leefish website who created the GRM. But you can ask for help there and see if you did things correctly to set up the Config files correctly. That might be the problem.

Thank you! I will try over there :-)
    I am MinicartTSR over at YouTube.

Happy Simming! :)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    @NathanNowell @StrawberryYogurt

1. Install GraphicsRulesMaker (should help with flickering)
    2. Raise resolution and fix smooth edges: https://simscommunity.info/2016/04/27/the-sims-2-setting-up-the-resolution-windowed-mode-smooth-edges-sim-shadows/
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Simply installing the Graphics Rule Maker isn't all there is to it. You have to back up (copy) your current Config file to safe place in case you need it back. (From the actual program files). Then run the GRM to try to find your current video card and do several other things to set up the new Config file to tell the game to see your newer video cards etc. This will have to be done anytime you might update the video or chip driver. And or other things. Leefish also has a new update list of video cards (more recently) that a person should add to her files. That is why I have suggested people go to the site and check out what is new and different.
    Cinebar wrote: »

I have TS2 on Windows 7 without graphic rules maker, plays brilliantly