Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New skintones didn't do much for white tones, still using same 2 or 3

2...Next

Comments

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm very disappointed in the skin tones update. Sliders or no sliders, I've had a frustrating time trying to make my sims look the way I want them to with EA skintones, regardless of their perceived race. I'm so happy that xmiramira updated her tones for my dark sims and Ms. Blue updated for my light sims so that I can have my CC skintones in game again.

Edited my original post because it came off as more aggressive than I intended.
    Post edited by FatTribble23 on
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I actually feel the same way! The update was much needed, but I kinda wish they'd done a tiny bit more for lighter colors and a lot more for fantasy colors.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    doedear wrote: »
    They should've just went with a color wheel, I mean they used one for cats and dogs so I don't see the excuse anymore for human sims.

Human Sims were coded a specific way - to use swatches. To change that would require basically re-coding human sims. Something that is not as simple as people seem to think it is.

And, as someone who works with CG art, I'll let you in on a little secret. Color Texture maps almost always look better than Grayscale texture maps overlaid over colors, even when dealing with Toon art.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I do like the new skin tones but I only like the warm ones. The other two categories don’t do it for me but I imagine others might have different preferences.

Please add the colour slider for hair colours now !
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited December 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    They should've just went with a color wheel, I mean they used one for cats and dogs so I don't see the excuse anymore for human sims.

Human Sims were coded a specific way - to use swatches. To change that would require basically re-coding human sims. Something that is not as simple as people seem to think it is.

And, as someone who works with CG art, I'll let you in on a little secret. Color Texture maps almost always look better than Grayscale texture maps overlaid over colors, even when dealing with Toon art.

While I agree with both statements, re the first if they plan to really have the sims go for ...uh another 2 years as it sounds and its made SO much money that its really just a matter of resources and EA's stock is shy of $15 from its all time high right now - they have the money. Anything can be done bringing me to....

I also work on CG art, mostly 2D and while I agree it depends on the quality of the color textures and I think thats really what the issue is here - the color textures they've picked are just so strange to begin with. Like why Simpsons yellow? I've never seen people use it.

The hair colors are even worse and strange/unnatural, very much showing their age now as "too simple" like something limited to a cellphone game made 6 years ago much as the skintones were.

YES its nice that they made the effort to do SOMETHING but I just feel like they did it not to improve their game but because they felt pressured to do it because of politics alone, not because the game is 6 years old and could use better options now.

For example why not give us improved textures too? 8 million pre-order for cyberpunk and 60% of those were on PC - of those many are now running very powerful rigs and yes I understand that many simmers are not - but after 6 years many people will have or have already upgraded their PC in some form - it would be nice to see the game improve sims resolutions too.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

While I agree with both statements, re the first if they plan to really have the sims go for ...uh another 2 years as it sounds and its made SO much money that its really just a matter of resources and EA's stock is shy of $15 from its all time high right now - they have the money. Anything can be done bringing me to....

I also work on CG art, mostly 2D and while I agree it depends on the quality of the color textures and I think thats really what the issue is here - the color textures they've picked are just so strange to begin with. Like why Simpsons yellow? I've never seen people use it.

Fair. I work with 3D models (Daz Studio) and skins as color maps pretty much universally looks better, even for toons.

And I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it, or introduce more fair skin textures. People just tend to be flippant with their "well, they could do it for X, so they don't have an excuse to not completely revamp core programing to introduce this fairly complicated technology because I think it should be easy."

(I have a similar rant for Spiral Stairs. I want them, I hope they can implement them, but they're not that simple.)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    I finally updated and have mixed feelings about the update. For the dark skintones it is a good improvement and I am happy about that part. When it comes to the lighter skin tones, there are some problems. The warm ones are OK because those were the old ones. The neutral are tolerable but they are hidden behind horrible swatches. Who ever choose those swatches? Looks to me like they just batch converted swatches and didn't care that the lighter ones would all look grey. the lighter skin tones in the cool section are so drained from colour that these sims look ill or freezing. The sliders can help a little bit, but they can't make the cool skintones look acceptable.

We were coming from a situation with ok light skin tones and poor ashy dark skintones to a situation with good dark skin tones but lots of bad light skintones, enough to outnumber the good looking ones. Why could they not improve all skintones and give all of them the attention they needed. Or just add the dark skintones that people needed without adding rubbish light ones at the same time.

Luckily the original light skintones are still in there. But I just don't understand how those light skintones in the cool section were ever considered to have enough quality to be added to the game. I won't touch them for my sims, at least they didn't remove the old ones. But I am afraid to see light skinned sims created by the game after this update.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member

Kinda just scratching my head wondering why everyone can't just fight for well, everyone? We all play the same game here don't we?

Yet it always seems to come down to 'well if you wanted it you and your group should have campaigned more for it'. Just because they weren't louder than others doesn't mean the problems weren't there and people hadn't voiced them.

Everyone should be able to customize their sims to their liking in fair to darker tones to eye colors and a better range of hair colors along with a revamp of a lot of those awful base game hairstyles, since they definitely got a lot better over the years with the hairstyles and clothing.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm white, and I can't really say I care about more light skin tones. Sorry! I'd rather they improve other areas lacking in the game at this point, like personalities or gameplay. Who cares about CAS, when the game itself is a bore?
    They should have had better skin tones in 2016.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    There are no skin tones that really match me as a paler person.... but I really don't care. I think too much emphasis has been put on this for too long. I'd rather see more in depth game play vs new skin tones.

Thank you! Just make the game interesting, it's been 6 years, and the game is still boring without mods. I think they did a great job with skin tones and now it's time to move on.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    Without making any new Sims, I've noticed the texture and "tones" if you will, actually looks alot better since the last patch. I had to get a driver update for my video card too though apparently. So combined, looks much smoother. Regardless of what brightness or shade or "color" the skintone is. Yes even the really pale skintones look much improved. Almost like made out of porcelain or soap or marble or something...

Which is really good for a cartoonish game.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I think a lot of the tones across the board are wonky, very gray and purple, some of the darker ones are still blotchy too. But, honestly, if you mess with the sliders there are a ton of usable ones for every shade imo, you just have to mess around a bit and ignore the unusable ones. It is unfortunate how cluttered it makes the menu look, though I wish there was a system like one slider for color, all the way from lightest to darkest, and then a slider for changing undertone. Maybe there could be two sliders, one for adding warmth and one for adding coolness, so the menu would be much cleaner and you could create any tone you wanted. And maybe you could bring up the warmth and coolness to make more neutral tones. Just an idea.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I'm pretty sure that if EA added 5000 new skin tones, lots of simmers would still complain they could not find their real skin tone. I think we must play very different games, I never even tried to find my own skin match, I want all kinds of skins, I never really realized this was a problem at all. It's a game. If i want real skin tones I'd shut down my computer and rather walk outside (counting pale blue faces) ;)

PS: When will we discuss beauty spots on belly or left leg?

I agree with this completely. Like I know some people play simselves but I play sims that are very different from me, of all colors. Like as a white person if I made my simself I know I could easily find the right tone. Idk, yes a lot of the tones are pretty wonky but you can ignore those and just use the ones that look nice. I think there's a lot of options now, and I'm glad POC feel more represented. Idk, I think the patch was good, and I hope it's a sign of more CAS updates to come
  • IfIdieyoungIfIdieyoung Posts: 45 Member
    Personally I never needed more light skin tones, I was fine with the ones we had. My problem with the update is how hideous a lot of the lighter skin tones are. Most of the cool or neutral ones are straight up gray or purple, colours you'd never see on an actual person. Again I'll just continue using the old ones and be fine with that but I'm REALLY not looking forward to seeing townies walking around rocking this "just rose from the dead" look.
    Origin id:
    lisimpson93
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited December 2020
    Me? I think everyone's right. I am white and don't see my younger days' hair colours in the game as it goes from a brown to a red without the light brown I had or shades that you can see on every hair dye counter in the chemists. The same must go for those who have pale or dark skin as well and we cannot see each other's point of view. We are so stuck in our own culture.

I have gone through several of the latest Sims added to CAS and the paler face colours look quite good but that's probably because I have a top range laptop now. They are much enhanced by the makeup on them.

The only answer is to have a colour slider or additional colours for hair as well but I don't know how it would affect game play.

The thing is the game IS cartoony in style and some Simmers want realism and unfortunately from my point of view that's what we will get in any Sims 5.

PS: Did you see that Rachel Franklin is back?
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/23/rachel-rubin-franklin-leaves-facebook-to-work-on-eas-positive-play-push/
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    edited December 2020
    Thats why I was asking about light skintones before the update. Dark skintones was bad, but light skintones were not better. Currently darker skintones are much more better, but light skintones are "meh". It is strange that youtubers tell only about dark skintones and their representation. It is importat, but please do not lie that you can represent yourself because you have a light skintone.

For example some skintones which are not exist in game:
    13e9d049267b905d2c1c6ad381deb704.jpg
    5013d987f90ddbdb53a2aae0125bc967.jpg
    8dfa24d770d9dde0d31a701bf1501b93.jpg
    dating-italian-men-800x450.jpg
    228935c01a3810826d14540c552c2955.jpg
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited December 2020
    Hi all,

I just removed several posts from this thread. I understand that this is a topic that generates strong opinions but trolling/flaming/baiting is against the forum rules.

We do appreciate constructive criticism because that's how we can make things better, but turning this discussion into an argument is not okay and doesn't help anyone.

So, please be mindful of how you engage in this conversation and with each other.

- Leeloo
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top