Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They should do a stuff pack for men.

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited December 2020
    All jokes aside, the game has very little to offer for casual regular clothes, especially pants, for male Sims that isn't so faddish that it's ridiculous looking to many of us when it first came out, and looked hopelessly dated soon thereafter. I was really surprised when I fired up my old Sims3 disc, at how the clothing wasn't jarring or hideously dated-looking, for the most part. Becauswe back then, I guess the franchise avoided anything too faddish, too intensely trendy, and stayed with more basic, classic apparel, possibly for that reason.

So... I have never actually seen ANYONE of any age of gender wearing fripping Hammer Pants, since I was in high school and even then, it was only the most daring who did, and then briefly. Like that instant in the mid-80s when shirts with long split "tails" were in? Blink and you'd miss it, and you never see it in depictions of 80's styles. That looks was almost out the moment it was on the racks. So too, the saggy diaper pants.

So there are like one or two styles of jeans I can put on my male Sims, if they are not the flamboyant types. I regularly disable gender designations in clothing my Sims so that all options are available, but men are hard up for any dignity in this game, clothing wise, at least for pants. If a guy wants to tight-roll or wear highwaters, clamdiggers, capri pants for all I care, it's his business. But if he wants to just wear unremarkable classic jeans that aren't cut in any flashy or outdated way, or obviously emo or other ostentatious style, he has like 2 choices. Or one of them might be "pants" rather than jeans, I forget. Oh well, who needs more than 2 pairs of pants anyway, plus a pair of sweats.

But there need not be a specially marketed needlessly gendered pack for it, if the game would just stop being so slanted toward YA females as it currently seems to be. Maybe most players these days are from that demographic...gee, I wonder why.

I'd like some Carhartt and Dickies-esque choices that look realistic. The pants with the thigh toolkit are good, except that sometimes you want the pants without the toolkit on them. And the cargo pants are okay.

And...can we lose the B cups in the culinary uniform top? I figure it was an attempt to make a uniform top that could be seen as either having visible boobage, or be interpreted as pecs, but that in no way passes as pecs or even moobs on a male Sim. Maybe a better solution if boobage has to show in that uniform top, is have two versions of it: one with, and one without, the boobage.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    It wouldn’t sell.

What are you basing that on? I realize it would be a misstep when forcing everything into gendered boxes is anathema, so I agree that a "girlie stuff pack" and a "boysie stuff pack" would be a disaster. But the sentiment that apparel and items of interest to masculine players is lacking compared to that which appeals to more feminine players, is real and valid.

So many things are needlessly gendered, it's true. It's fun to laugh at things like pens, razors, etc. being sold in separate specially-genderized forms which have absolutely nothing to do with their function, and that most things marketed along gender lines, are doing so just to make more money and it's all a crock of baloney. But I might even buy a stuffpack like that, just to get more choices and more balance in the game for my male Sims because it's hard to represent any Sim who identifies with the masculine gender, in as many ways as there are to represent the feminine gender. And agender? REALLY hard, almost nonexistent.

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @Simmerville I can relate to your struggles. I play mostly historical saves and I have to use almost entirely CC. I also have to build my own houses because most of the historical houses on the gallery are modern on the inside. Yesterday, I spent several hours looking for maxis match Afro-textured hair for toddlers and children that wasn’t modern-looking. The few options EA offered were all modern, most of the CC is made with Caucasian sims in mind, and unfortunately, most of the ethnic cc hair is alpha. I ended up getting two hairstyles. After searching for hours.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The Sims 4: Big & Tall Stuff Pack
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Cant imagine it selling
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • TinyWhiteThangTinyWhiteThang Posts: 15 Member
    They should provide an update they promised 3 years ago that they'd fix the feminine and masculine tagged clothes for the opposite body frame so it doesn't look god awful
  • TinyWhiteThangTinyWhiteThang Posts: 15 Member
    > @TinyWhiteThang said:
    > They should provide an update they promised 3 years ago that they'd fix the feminine and masculine tagged clothes for the opposite body frame so it doesn't look god awful

seems like I'm talking off-topic but I mean it'd be nice for men to actually wear the feminine shirts that could pass off as masculine as well as the pants and shoes. I love the idea of it but it's just been done so badly that I won't use the feminine tagged clothing on men as the texture is just not right.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    They could come out with a casualwear-focused pack. That's not the only way that I play but if it has content that I want, I'll be interested. I don't specifically want ugly or sloppy sims most of the time. I probably only have 1-2 sims like that. I'm much more likely to go through clothing that is trendy or stylish on at least some level. I do want more normal pants and jeans for men.

I'd be interested in more masculine stuff. I'm guessing some of that would represent some women & some transgendered as well. I still want content for all types of women. I play with male and female sims equally. I pay attention to both. I know not everyone is like me, some focus on a particular type of sim. Look, the knitting pack was a bit stereotyped but I still play with it. Sometimes you just want content that fills in whatever is missing.

If such a pack includes activities, it should be for any sim. In terms of CAS/BB, I do think they could add more for the male sims and others missing that type of content.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • blur0seblur0se Posts: 85 Member
    just want to point out that women also have body hair...so it shouldn't be restricted to a "men's pack" lol
  • JPNekoJPNeko Posts: 296 Member
    I'd be happy to just get body hair for now, but more variety in male clothing would be nice too. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2020
    Nikkih wrote: »
    We need body hair for men and trousers and Jean's past their ankles 😂, I personally dont think we need a full stuff pack for men, although I understand this thread

Considering female clothing is like ten to one in every pack, compared to what is included in these games for males, they should do a stuff pack devoted to the male Sim. Be inclusive Maxis.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I would love to see some Armani clothes, both from the Georgia Armani and Emporio Armani lines. They even have clothes for children, and for women that are less revealing.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don’t know about men but male sims in general like how a lot of female stuff gets put in for female kids and toddlers. We need the same for males so I would say a masculine pack for all ages. Albeit some designs would vary for different ages.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I think they should put more male clothing and hair in the basegame. With the current options I end up using the same clothes over and over. Also there are only 2 balding options for hair, and 1 receeding hair style which is common for middle aged men so there should be more options. They need to add a bald patch hairstyle where there's a bald spot at the top near the back of the head and a hair style with that and the receeding hairline. That is quite common for males in my family.
    Calico45 wrote: »
    While I agree that the traditionally masculine cosmetics feel neglected and could use addressing, I doubt that they would want to openly acknowledge anything too close to a gender dichotomy with this. They have put a fair bit of effort into unisex CAS assets,

And that's the problem. They're focusing so much on being "inclusive" and allowing your Sim to be whatever gender they want to be that they are completely ignoring those who want their male Sims to be masculine and their female Sims to be feminine. Mainly the male Sims in this case. A lot are being ignored because of "gender diversity".
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    Indeed. And you can have very feminine women, yet it's impossible to make a more masculine man. Or anyone masculine for that matter.

I mean, for the clothing all they really need is look at the wardrobe of some regular men who don't care about fashion. Maybe ask them for advice, or even get a few to sit down with sims 4 and invite them to make themselves in sim form.
    No doubt they'll give some feedback about the clothes and how they can't find much of what they'd actually wear.
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    You don't really need a pack when can get plenty of good men clothes for free that are realistic, just look at the CC on sites like the sims resource
  • KellvenKellven Posts: 43 Member
    jstrap, dude powder, skull shaver. Not a whole lot manly men really need, kind of goes with the ethos. Froofy metros are already covered in spades.
    Actual drag is technically covered, but what's there is so overly girly, and there's so many different cultural takes on it across the world. I vote for TS4: Get Drag. The kiddies may giggle, but they're actually by far the most interesting group of mutated primates running around this dirty spitball.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    With how they neglect men so much, maybe a stuff pack just for men could be an idea?

It could come with a free update that adds body hair, the stuff pack could add some additional body hair options and a large selection of facial hair, some new hairstyles too including several balding hairstyles.

And the clothing selection could be chosen by regular men, men who don't care for dumb fashion trends, weird pants, etc. Just regular clothes that regular men like to wear.
    Like some normal jeans in various colours without weird stripes, weird lengths, ripped everywhere or other weird stuff. Maybe some worn old sport shoes, old jackets, some new shirts with prints, and maybe some nice suits.
    Maybe some new hats and sunglasses too, some gloves, maybe tattoos.

For objects maybe a furniture set fit for a bachelor pad, I think sims 3 had something like that in the Diesel pack.

Plenty of it could of course still be used for women but for this stuff pack men could be the focus for once, to finally get them some descent clothes and more beard and hair options.

An SP should include man caves.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2021
    you guys are EA's wet dream.
    they should include these things on their already expensive packs, i find it amusing how people is still willing to pay more.
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I agree that male sims are in serious need of better wardrobes. With each pack that comes out, its more and more glaringly obvious that those wishing to make more traditional "manly man" sims are on the short end of the stick. I'd prefer that they add more clothing to subsequent packs, rather than just one pack and calling it a day. Plus the theme would have to be carefully thought out, if you ask me. I couldnt see them doing a pack that explicitly said "THIS IS FOR MEN!!" unless they want to be screamed at about gender roles and stereotypes until the cows come home.
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    I agree with you. I think they use the ability that we have to turn on the unisex filter as an excuse to add only feminine stuff. I once heard that they add more female things because they want to create a safe and fun environment for little firls to play. What about little boys? What about little "girls" starting to identify as male boys? I myself can't find the right beard for me, or the right masculine curly hair for me. (they either go with afro curls or with straight hair, never in-between... maybe only for some curvy hair that doesn't even look like curls).
    I can't even find the style of clothes I like to wear.
    If they want an excuse, look at how many little girls and preteens are playing SIms now and playing their oppas/male kpop singers. Use that as an excuse to balance the inequality of content.
    I know someone will say that in real life womans are the ones suffering with inequality due to patriarchy, chauvinism and sexism, but making this game into a strictly dollhouse game instead of a life simulator only enforces the prejudice I faced as a little boy playing a game that to others sounded like I was playing Babie's Dreamhouse or something.
    I don't want the game to turn into male party city. I wan't equality, and a safe place for little boys to play. Gay or not.
    As a grown gay men, I don't care anymore, but my young straight nephew have expressed to me that he's ashamed of other boys knowing that he likes to play this game cuz they will mock him.
    Of course, adding some masculine stuff in the game won't save humanity from sexism, but you can make the game more of a rainbow than strictly pink and sparkles or blue and gore.
    Excuse my rant, but at the same time... excuse me not.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    In TS3 Store we got a Mancave Set with Big Tvs,Sports Items in other stuff.
    edited January 2021
    I agree that male sims are in serious need of better wardrobes. With each pack that comes out, its more and more glaringly obvious that those wishing to make more traditional "manly man" sims are on the short end of the stick. I'd prefer that they add more clothing to subsequent packs, rather than just one pack and calling it a day. Plus the theme would have to be carefully thought out, if you ask me. I couldnt see them doing a pack that explicitly said "THIS IS FOR MEN!!" unless they want to be screamed at about gender roles and stereotypes until the cows come home.

@InuMiroLover its not about manly men... its about womans having 918181994 hairstyles, while men get like 2 in each new pack. There are so many possibilities for male hairstyles irl. Take everyone as a reference. IDK... The 80's are hot now... make an 80's pack with lots of 80's male hairstyles or smth
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Forgeron wrote: »

@InuMiroLover its not about manly men... its about womans having 918181994 hairstyles, while men get like 2 in each new pack. There are so many possibilities for male hairstyles irl. Take everyone as a reference. IDK... The 80's are hot now... make an 80's pack with lots of 80's male hairstyles or smth

to add insult to injury i've never seen male hairstyle that is exclusively available for them, all the hairstyles that male sims got they also have the female version of it, for example Makoa's hair.
    ihavemultiplegamertags