Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maxis Investigates Issues with Skin Genetics

With the new skin tones added with Monday’s Sims 4 Game Update comes issues with the genetics system in the game. Players are reporting a problem with genetics selector in the game, which is preventing skin tones from converting properly.
When using the genetics tool in Create-a-Sim, or when having a baby, the offspring are not generating proper skin genetics when parents have different skin tones. Maxis is aware of the issue, so hopefully a fix for this problem arrives soon.

Comments

• IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Good, I'm glad they are on top of it. Whenever a computer game or program gets an update, those changes can cause other issues.

I guess I'm in good shape, since not one of my willful sims seems interested in romance (and therefore children) at the moment. :/ It's like they all want to run whenever the relationship bar gets too high. One of these days, though, I will manage to get at least ONE couple to, uh, become a couple, and then marry and produce offspring. And as I type this I swear I can hear multiple pairs of feet scampering away in my head.

They all want to be single. I would create a couple but I have the feeling they'd be divorced five minutes later.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I'm glad they are on top of this also.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Proof?
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited December 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Proof?
    Their official twitter basically commented we’re aware of the issue
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,124 Member
    I'm looking forward for when they fix the genetics problem so my Belle can finally get pregnant with her Beast of a husband. I don't want to turn him into a regular human, so boring.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited December 2020
    With the new skin tones added with Monday’s Sims 4 Game Update comes issues with the genetics system in the game. Players are reporting a problem with genetics selector in the game, which is preventing skin tones from converting properly.
    When using the genetics tool in Create-a-Sim, or when having a baby, the offspring are not generating proper skin genetics when parents have different skin tones. Maxis is aware of the issue, so hopefully a fix for this problem arrives soon.

I have a feeling that by prioritizing the release of this update as soon as possible, they had created a rush where the developers were so focused on adding these 100s of shades that they (hopefully) decided to refine genetics properly in a later update.

I am very happy they replied and are working on it...although I can't believe dark skin tones don't have more of an influence on genetics. Every time Deligracy tried to produce a child between a dark skin tone and a light skin tone the child would come out light. :s
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Glad they're taking a look. I used to get some really gorgeous sims through birth but it seems to be more miss than hit most of this year. Hard to recapture some magical families in new saves when the kids just don't look right.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I've never found genetics in S4 to be that great, tbh. I usually don't care which skintone the kids get if both parents are light or both are dark, but many is the time I've gone in to fine tune one of my biracial kids to give them what I think is an appropriate skin tone.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Yes pls fix this. I have no immediate plans to give my sims babies but the fact the I can have a dark sim and a light sim and all their kids come out with the same light tone and not even the light parents tone is extremely problematic.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm looking forward for when they fix the genetics problem so my Belle can finally get pregnant with her Beast of a husband. I don't want to turn him into a regular human, so boring.

"Uh? Dad, you and Mom are both humans, why did I turn out like this?" :D
    8Pn4bYy.png
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I am glad they're aware of the issue. Just gonna wait until the update for genetic fix comes out then I will play!
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Genetics were never great, but they're really broken now, this is the result of my testing. Dad, lightest cool skin, mom darkest warm, all kids from natural TFB in game, labour induced with MCC and then caked up to kid.

Also, why does that skintone seem to give adult male sims a 5 o'clock shadow effect? And love the randomiser make up and jewellery choices

1ZRn2b9.jpg

Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Genetics were never great, but they're really broken now, this is the result of my testing. Dad, lightest cool skin, mom darkest warm, all kids from natural TFB in game, labour induced with MCC and then caked up to kid.

Also, why does that skintone seem to give adult male sims a 5 o'clock shadow effect? And love the randomiser make up and jewellery choices

I had a few babies since the patch. Regular played characters as the parents. What I noticed was since (I suppose) the original was all "warm" colours, the "neutral" and "cool" may be messing it up. Also since it's not arranged light to dark anymore, but all scrambled. So with 'genetics' in-game jumped from "Warm" to "Neutral", then a couple slots over that wasn't just a couple shades. The two brown-skinned parents had a bluish orange kid. Heh! Then a yellowish pink kid. :D I went into cas.fulleditmode to fix that. But yeah. A little variety is fun, But it's definitely not working on the old algorithm.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png