Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What community lots do you have in your game?

I've been working on my own personal save file and I've been trying to come up with community lot ideas. I find that the sims has a ton of bars/clubs. So what else do you put in your game so that your sims actually have something to go do?

Comments

• Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I always have a few restaurants with different prices — the most expensive one with a “hottest spot in town” trait, a couple of middle-class restaurants with different menus, and a grungy cheap diner.
    I also like community lots from EL, they are quite lively, and you can buy interesting stuff from yard sales tables sometimes.
    Recently I built a playground with almost every activity for kids and toddlers possible, and I enjoy it, good for toddlers' playdates and kids' clubs meetings.

• Options
    MysticalSimmerMysticalSimmer Posts: 160 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I always have a few restaurants with different prices — the most expensive one with a “hottest spot in town” trait, a couple of middle-class restaurants with different menus, and a grungy cheap diner.
    I also like community lots from EL, they are quite lively, and you can buy interesting stuff from yard sales tables sometimes.
    Recently I built a playground with almost every activity for kids and toddlers possible, and I enjoy it, good for toddlers' playdates and kids' clubs meetings.

A playground is an amazing idea :) I find that a lot of the parks aren't very toddler friendly so that is a great way for them to have something to do. I also like the idea of having restaurants at different price points because that is super realistic.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2020
    What a great thread. I love community lots and have more of those than residentials, and a long list planning them.

An axpick:
    Prison
    Orphanage/school for server sims
    Many restaurants with different themes: vegan, halal, hipster, japanese, luxury etc
    Bording school for children
    University prepping school for YA
    Lots of different museums for the collector sims to add to: space, nature, art etc
    Bars oh so many
    Night clubs with different themes and clientele in mind
    Many retails, for sims who create mostly: Photo studio, IKEA for unlocks, fish for anglers, furniture from EL, bakery etc
    Many uses of the Community Space from EL, fitting the world/neighborhood it is placed in
    Factory
    Arcade
    Etc

I use the lot assignment creatively to make some things possible.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2020
    Plenty of themed restaurants, like Christmas, Halloween, etc. plus traditional ones. Also:

McDonald's
    Starbucks
    Gang headquarters
    Nudist lake
    Portrait studio
    Bank
    Movie theater
    Mall
    Daycare
    Bridal Shop
    Church
    Homeless shelter
    Community Support Center
    Laundromat
    Skating rink
    Vampire themed blood donation center
    and a Christmas market for buying Christmas trees.

I, too, have a prison but it's located in a sim's basement, so not exactly a community lot. Lol.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've been working on my own personal save file and I've been trying to come up with community lot ideas. I find that the sims has a ton of bars/clubs. So what else do you put in your game so that your sims actually have something to go do?

I always have bars, a spa, an academy, several restaurants (from cheap to expensive, from vegetarian to fish only or meat only...), a pool, a naturist beach, a regular beach, a church for weddings and "funerals", a prison where i hold my cleptomaniacs that got caught, a bank so that robbers can easily access the vaults, a nighclub, an arcade, a bowling place, a karaoke bar, several museums with different themes...
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    Plenty of themed restaurants, like Christmas, Halloween, etc. plus traditional ones. Also:

McDonald's
    Starbucks
    Gang headquarters
    Nudist lake
    Portrait studio
    Bank
    Movie theater
    Mall
    Daycare
    Bridal Shop
    Church
    Homeless shelter
    Community Support Center
    Laundromat
    Skating rink
    Vampire themed blood donation center
    and a Christmas market for buying Christmas trees.

I, too, have a prison but it's located in a sim's basement, so not exactly a community lot. Lol.

I love the idea of a laundromat, bridal shop, and Christmas market :)
  • Options
    Oh, I like the nudist beach! That lot trait, Act Naturally, or whatever it is called, is one of my favourites.
    I have it in my sauna wood tarn lot in Granite Falls; and my partly excavated viking grave lot with a view of the Middle Earth Snake in Windenburg; and in my traditional, in the suggestive sense, Health Club Spa in Del Sol Valley etc.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2020
    In locations thin on resources, I have a resource center for stuff I can't or don't want to have on my sims' home lots. I like tiny homes so the resource centers come in handy. I like restaurants and bowling alleys too. I also have a spa that has the clothing-optional trait (hilarious :D) and an indoor park so kids can go in any season.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Oh, that’s the name, Clothing Optional! The sims certainly seem to take advantage of the option, I've yet to see anyone keep their clothes on. Perhaps the Proper trait from SE will make them less inclined to bare it all.

That’s a good idea, of having a resource center. I like everything to be thematically geared, so place out all the useful objects but in accordance with different lots' purposes, to make them worth visiting for different sims.
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited December 2020
    various shops (ran by your pcs if you play rotationally), cafes, bakery, abandoned hideout, library, various restaurants, cemetery. Actually here are some custom lot traits that may give you some ideas :)https://kiarasims4mods.home.blog/traits/lot-traits/
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Didn’t read through all of carefully so sorry for any repeats.

~Laundromat (though they’re not really that functional as community lots but still a fun build)
    ~Movie theater (I don’t have the movie night stuff pack but still doable with base game stuff)
    ~Hotels/vacation homes/condos (and now you can actually make them vacation lots for your sims to use if they want to stay over in another world!)
    ~Homeless shelter
    ~Fire station
    ~Skating rinks (for people who have seasons)
    ~Community pools
    ~Bridal/wedding shop (for get to work - themed shops are fun! Now that I have seasons I’ve been wanting to make Christmas store)

One of my favorite builds I did was a combo vet clinic/bistro called Tails and Treats. It’s technically just a vet clinic but you can call a bartender/barista to work on site so it does actually function as both. I even have a pond/pool dogs can swim in and some training equipment out in the back so it ends up being a very usable lot for pet owners. There's even a tub you can wash your dog in if you don't have a bathtub in your home.
    CmhU67E.png
    8mzlb4u.jpg

• Options
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    various shops (ran by your pcs if you play rotationally), cafes, bakery, abandoned hideout, library, various restaurants, cemetery. Actually here are some custom lot traits that may give you some ideas :)https://kiarasims4mods.home.blog/traits/lot-traits/

Oh wow these are awesome!
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I'm going to add more community lots, but now I think I have the following. Some I got from the gallery. I also put activities in different sims' homes, so that when my sims visit one another, they have things to do together.
    • toddler-focused playground (but there's also stuff for children)
    • giant community center (it has all kinds of stuff: cooking area, dance studio, music practice rooms, a little cafe, garden, woodworking area, etc.)
    • a redone Foxbury Commons
    • a PC bang (like a computer cafe)
    • cafes (one like starbucks, one for dessert, and some others)
    • restaurants
    • wedding venues (a barn-themed one and another)
    • small movie theater
    • photo studio
    • bowling alley

I'm working on adding maybe a couple concert venues and maybe a special art studio/gallery and later a museum with all the things my sims collected.
  • Options
    Didn’t read through all of carefully so sorry for any repeats.

~Laundromat (though they’re not really that functional as community lots but still a fun build)
    ~Movie theater (I don’t have the movie night stuff pack but still doable with base game stuff)
    ~Hotels/vacation homes/condos (and now you can actually make them vacation lots for your sims to use if they want to stay over in another world!)
    ~Homeless shelter
    ~Fire station
    ~Skating rinks (for people who have seasons)
    ~Community pools
    ~Bridal/wedding shop (for get to work - themed shops are fun! Now that I have seasons I’ve been wanting to make Christmas store)

One of my favorite builds I did was a combo vet clinic/bistro called Tails and Treats. It’s technically just a vet clinic but you can call a bartender/barista to work on site so it does actually function as both. I even have a pond/pool dogs can swim in and some training equipment out in the back so it ends up being a very usable lot for pet owners. There's even a tub you can wash your dog in if you don't have a bathtub in your home.
    CmhU67E.png
    8mzlb4u.jpg

Tails and treats is adorable! That is a great idea :)
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    I have a psychiatric hospital.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2020
    For anyone who wants a functional laundromat littlemisssam has a laundry mod that let's you put dirty clothes in your inventory. So after I get enough clothes I remove I from the hamper and take it to the laundromat 😃

Once again for anyone who uses mods littlemisssam also has prefences lot trait mods.
    So for example I make an arcade and add the lot trait to it preferences for playing games and dancing. And sims will come and automatically start playing games.
    I also have her mod more visitors and with mccomand I raise the cap on how many sims are allowed in a zone. So my arcade is jam packed with tons of sims using everything around.

My restaurant was so full I couldn't get a seat 😅😅😅 just letting you know because these really spice up my community lots and make them fun to visit! And I have tons.

One more mod of hers I want to mention is auto employees. So if I put a bar in my arcade for example an employee will automatically show up, giving the lot multi functionality
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Oh, I liked the psychiatric hospital idea, I have built that as well, in Strangerville, with lots of motherplant seeds all over the place.
    Designated as a residential, with a live-in doctor and nurse. Moderately presentable on the upstairs floor; and a cellar representing the grim history of the unscientific experiments allowed to go on in that area.

I also saw in another thread that the large toddler playground makes the toddlers imagine it as a pirate ship, so now I need to build a park for children for it!

I have just finished rebuilding Foxbury Commons too; geared towards the distinguished degrees object-wise; will do the same for the other university. I have NAP Body and Mind for Foxbury in mind; and Support the Performing Arts for Britechester. All that violin playing, poor students, so many idles to deal with in one day.
    I realised that I will find the university gameplay much more fun if I placed a lot of residentials for silly misbehaving professors in the world, only having one university housing for each university section, so that is my current sim-project.
  • Options
    Momma_Bear0705Momma_Bear0705 Posts: 28 Member
    I mostly have cafes, restaurants and retail stores... I seldom make pools.
  • Options
    For anyone who wants a functional laundromat littlemisssam has a laundry mod that let's you put dirty clothes in your inventory. So after I get enough clothes I remove I from the hamper and take it to the laundromat 😃

Once again for anyone who uses mods littlemisssam also has prefences lot trait mods.
    So for example I make an arcade and add the lot trait to it preferences for playing games and dancing. And sims will come and automatically start playing games.
    I also have her mod more visitors and with mccomand I raise the cap on how many sims are allowed in a zone. So my arcade is jam packed with tons of sims using everything around.

My restaurant was so full I couldn't get a seat 😅😅😅 just letting you know because these really spice up my community lots and make them fun to visit! And I have tons.

One more mod of hers I want to mention is auto employees. So if I put a bar in my arcade for example an employee will automatically show up, giving the lot multi functionality

All these are great mod suggestions that I actually didn't know about. I will definitely be using them :)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have the ones that came with the game and all EP's, SP's and some restaurants from the gallery.
  • Options

All these are great mod suggestions that I actually didn't know about. I will definitely be using them :)

I’m going to check these out too! Honestly my game is 90% CC at this point lol
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have a psychiatric hospital.

I'd love to see a screen shot of that.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I haven't done much with my own community lots yet. I started a church and a bowling area (two separate lots, lol), but never finished them. I did add an amphitheatre to a pre-existing community lot, and I use it all the time.

50430692606_2d7d30161b_c.jpg
    50421134257_bbbce8313b_c.jpg
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    LyncesableLyncesable Posts: 22 Member
    I downloaded a church from the gallery and labeled it as lounge. Great for weddings ;)
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I ususually keep all the community lots but for some I change since I think the work better

I turned the gym in San Myshunk into a spa. I think a spa in the big rich part of town makes sense.

I turned the lounge in Mt. Komorebi into a karaoke bar. It works cause Karaoke is very common in Japan and I personally don't like lounges. I also added a gym in the 50×50 lot in the mountains. It's great for sims to work on their rockclimbing and skating skills.

I personally hate how in Evergreen Harbor has 3 community spaces so I turned the one in the "green" neighborhood into a nightclub. I turned the one un the neutral hood into a store to sell fabricated goods but running a store in Evergreen harbor is currently bugged.