Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Yikes.... these adverts

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    That Waterworld clip looks like the inception movie. I like it and the one with the mermaid most. Would be nice to be able to have sims live under water.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Hilarious how the 2nd is the definition of false advertisement

They're all false advertisement. I don't remember being able to any of these things at the same time in the sims. The sims themselves don't even really look like they do in the game either.

Yeah I commented on this already
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited December 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm very confused. The graphics don't even look like Sims 4? And why are the videos called The Sims Life: rather than The Sims 4. It makes it sound like they're talking about another game? There's even a whole new webpage dedicated to "The Sims Life"
    https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/live-the-sims-life

Is this their rebranding or the "Sims 4.5" thing they were talking about? Instead of Sims 5 they'll just rebrand the Sims 4 as "The Sims Life"?

^ this is what i thought, but also sounds like some kind of spin off
    under the "how would you like to play?" says *Requires The Sims 4 (sold separately) and all game updates. For PC, see minimum system requirements for the pack. requires? so it's not the sims 4 but an add on?

this is the 2013 gamescom video i think it's when they announced ts4. they were mixing rl and the sims too in a way that doesn't even look like the actual game at all, though the trailer looks nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjzyPYovdU
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I think the videos are funny. Whenever they use real people in Sims' environment it makes me giggle.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't think the adverts have ever really be true to how the actual game play of the games are so I guess this is not much different?
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited December 2020
    They make me think of the ads I'm getting on my tablet for match-three and other type of games that appear to be something else entirely - like Gardenscapes, a match-three + build game that is being shown as a rescue-type game where you choose options like either a gas can or a fire extinguisher to put out a fire in order to save the characters. There is a lot of that kind of advertising going around. I don't like game ads that don't show the kind of game I am actually getting.

Ok, yeah, we can have multiple cats, but only 7 plus 1 sim - I like that ad because the sim cats are adorable (but I don't like the beginning with too many cats). And as builders we can put a toilet in the living room if we want to, but the sim wouldn't just continue to sit there eating while people walked into the room (plus we don't have realters bringing people by anyway). But the other stuff isn't right and it triggers my annoyance over the kinds of false advertising I've been seeing for so many games.

If I paid good money for the game based on the Waterworld ad and couldn't then have my sim dive underwater and live there I would be rightfully furious. That ad seems offensive to all the sims players who bought Island Living and were disappointed to find they couldn't do that kind of thing with their mermaids. It feels like a slap in the face.

Not everybody does research on things they buy, they trust in the ads they see.

Gosh, that all sounds harsh. Can I blame my headache? :s
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited December 2020
    As someone who studies media law and advertising, I can say that as long as there’s a label that says “Images not representative of actual gameplay” then it is not legally classified as false advertising, regardless of the content. If anything, it’s puffery under legal terms.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited December 2020
    As someone who studies media law and advertising, I can say that as long as there’s a label that says “Images not representative of actual gameplay” then it is not legally classified as false advertising, regardless of the content. If anything, it’s puffery.

That would be the correct word. Ppl saying you can’t do these two things while multitasking,okay atleast sims can multitask. The living in water is a complete exaggeration.
    Edit: typos
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    I’m hoping that with as well known as the Sims is, either everyone will know these ads aren’t based on any real gameplay or impressionable kids and adults won’t be swayed so easily by the false advertisement and will have at least some sense enough to research before they buy. It’s one thing to spruce up the ad a little, it’s an entirely different thing to make the ad look like it’s for a completely different (and better looking) game.

Also hoping I’m wrong here, but the actions that have been taken lately with the ads, the main screen change, and just a feeling I have makes me cry think we will be seeing Sims 4 releases for quite a while to come. If this is the case I really hope we can get some base game fixes and old content gets revisited to at least fix the bugs there.
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited December 2020
    As someone who studies media law and advertising, I can say that as long as there’s a label that says “Images not representative of actual gameplay” then it is not legally classified as false advertising, regardless of the content. If anything, it’s puffery.

That’s would be the correct word. Ppl sayin go you can’t do this two things while multitasking,okay atleast sims can multitask. The living in water is a complete exaggeration.

Exactly. False advertising has to be blatant and direct in order to have legal repercussions. If there’s anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that suggests an exaggeration then it’s classified as puffery and dismissed by the court. That’s why false advertising cases are notorious for never being victorious for plaintiffs.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I’m speaking only on American commercial laws.
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't think the adverts have ever really be true to how the actual game play of the games are so I guess this is not much different?

Yes. But not anywhere as blatantly and as badly as this, Sims 2 & 3 had ads that bent the reality of gameplay a little which is still annoying, but this is now a pattern with Sims 4 ads and art where they completely break the reality of the gameplay. And honestly, even if it is something they’ve always done we shouldn’t continue to normalize it. That goes for all companies and products as well, not just EA.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Those videos were just too funny. LOL :D
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    The underwater world ad is so annoying to look at when you remember that mermaids go into a rabbit hole when ever they go underwater. False advertisement along with the game always being on sale...yeah its obvious what EA is doing.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Hilarious how the 2nd is the definition of false advertisement

They're all kinda false. Multitasking doesn't really work that way lol. Sims cannot brush or eat in a toilet or bathtub

To be fair though, you can brush your teeth and eat at the same time in the game (yes, it's disgusting) but you can't do it in the bathtub, you can drink and take a bath at the same time though.

😂😂😂😂😂 I was actually surprised the things my sims can do at the same time if you try
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Amj1995 wrote: »
    Lol I saw this the cat one and the water world one while watching Hulu... it was so random.

Same, only saw the waterworld one but it freaked me out. I honestly thought it was neat at first but (and I concede I may be overreacting here) I'm genuinely disgusted how fake this ad is. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to have sims live in underwater homes before. If these are for some new, yet to be released sims game where you can do all of these things then sure, okay, fine, but if this is meant to represent the sims 4? 🤢
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I just saw the waterworld one on Hulu for the first time last night.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    I agree with these being a false representation of the game since you can't do a lot of this stuff, but I don't understand why they couldn't just use actual gameplay footage instead of animating something new for the advertisement. Was the game too boring to be advertised in its actual state or something?
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Totally misleading, all of them. Proper advertising would show the actual game and what you can do in/with it.
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    yes sims can drink in bathtub but if they do they get the hot water from the tub they in.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2020
    Classic EA. "Just don't show how 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the game is" - probably the head of marketing while approving these.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    If this was some guy's side-project to make fun of the iconic bugs... okay.
    As an actual ad... nope.
    But I've long given up understanding marketing.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    No such thing as bad press I guess..?

Apparently controversy amongst the fans is their favourite marketing strategy these days.. 🤷‍♂️
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I like these ads :) Although they might not show exact gameplay, they show quirkiness mixed with realism, and we get plenty of that if we look closely.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I like these ads :) Although they might not show exact gameplay, they show quirkiness mixed with realism, and we get plenty of that if we look closely.

I agree. I also like the game trailers too. I love the Sims, bugs and all.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D