Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New skintones didn't do much for white tones, still using same 2 or 3

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
At first I was very happy for the larger variety of skin tones, but after making a few POC families (ok like 20+ lol) - when I went to creating white families and found myself using the same 2 maybe 3 white skin tones (basically the same 3 I used before the patch) that don't make your sims look like Simpson characters (sims...simpsons? hmm....) and this hasn't changed since the skintone patch.

Like why not update white skin tones too because they SERIOUSLY needed it. I'm not saying we needed 20 new white skintones - I'm saying they should have improved on their ORIGINAL white tones (and no adding sliders isn't a "fix" if the tone is just bad to look at) - because honestly does ANYBODY make their sims look like characters from the simpsons?

I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that finds myself still using the same 3 skintones (with sliders) pre skintone patch?

Also like after making 20+ POC families which is about 30-40 sims in itself and EVEN for them I found myself cherry picking from like 5-6 skintones because the rest just made them look weird. Like did we really need 10 new skintones that are grey or variations of? There just seems to be a LOT of new skintones that still don't look natural overall.

I feel they should have been more selective and created more realistic colors for skintones aka quality over quantity.

Anybody else feel the same?

Comments

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited December 2020
    I’m happy we have a full variety of colors. I’ve known people of Indian (the country) descent whose skin had a grayer tone to it. Last night, I created a magical Sim whose skin was as red as possible while still looking fairly possible in nature. In general, I create a lot of Sims with extremely white or black skin because I think the extremes look cool. :) I’m loving this update! But I do wish there were more non-natural colors, like more blues and purples.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I’m happy we have a full variety of colors. I’ve known people of Indian (the country) descent whose skin had a grayer tone to it. Last night, I created a magical Sim whose skin was as red as possible while still looking fairly possible in nature. In general, I create a lot of Sims with extremely white or black skin because I think the extremes look cool. :) I’m loving this update! But I do wish there were more non-natural colors, like more blues and purples.

Actually on that note I really wish they HAD expanded on more "alternative" colors than the ones present on the bottom. Especially for my medieval fantasy world.

But I also agree this game seriously needs a color wheel for hair now since your correct in saying u kind of have to match hair color to the skintone without the sim turning into some lego character.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2020
    Agreed. White skins never looked natural. Infact no skin in this game has ever looked too natural. The style is very cartoony which is why my sims hair and skin was all kinda red yellow and blue and orange before cc.
    Then everyone wanted "realistic" which is why the hair still doesn't match the skin. All in all yes I think we should have gotten more lighter variations as well. But it's not that big of a deal for me. I just enjoy the game regardless of my sims color
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    With the sliders I find I can get a lot more variation in skin tones, even the "white" ones. I can go from a reddish skin tone to pasty white quite easily. I've never used CC (mods are enough of a hassle to keep track of each patch!) so this has been a pleasant addition for me (though I'm spending a lot more time in CAS!).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    edited December 2020
    And now it looks like genetics are broken.
    Post edited by alanmichael1 on
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    In my eyes there are only 3 light skintones. One is as pink as a pig and the other two are yellow ish. I can't basically create a sim with a light skintone. Only very tanned. Seriously. Not inclusive at all IMHO.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    All I know is I have to makeover all of my 160+ Sims, because they don't look right anymore. A bit of a bother really.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    There are several swatches, especially in Neutral and Cool that are much lighter on the sim than they appear from the swatch. Lighten them further with the slider, and many work just fine for my fair-skinned sims.

Sometimes it's worth it to poke around a bit.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I don't have much issue with the lighter skins tones expect the light cool tones, they look too blue/purple. I get they are cool but I don't know anyone that looks blue. I don't the issue is so much that they skin is actually too blue blue but more that the saturation for those tones is too high. The same can be said for some of the dark warm tones since some of those look too red.
  • AdiAdi Posts: 6 New Member
    this skintones update disappointed me so much , most of the new skin colores look so purple/red/pink/ashy and sould've be part of the "miscellaneous" category , it surprised me to see that almost all the skin tones in the "cool" category are purple!
    (sorry for my english i hope you understand)
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I'm not using any of the new skin tones either but the game sure is. I've noticed that almost every new townie is being generated with one of the new skin-tones plus lipstick, blush, and eyeshadow from the MAC makeup collection. Some of them look quite unusual so they're easy to spot.

I like the Warm category but I haven't found any in the other two categories that work for me yet.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    yeah, not many pale skins still but the sliders do help, at least one of my sims who looked more "yellow white" before now looks better....
    The highly saturated hair-hues make some of the skin tones appear duller, whereas if there were additional hair colours with hue & brightness options similar to the skin tone sliders, I believe it will improve the balance overall and both elements would look so much better together.

Right now I think there is just an imbalance between natural skin tones and natural hair colour.

true, I hope they'll add hair color sliders + more hair colors soon too.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    edited December 2020
    Yes and no... I could never make myself very well, being half Polish and half Irish. I have to settle for yellow or pale/sickly, plus there are still no full body freckles, so I can’t make most of my family either.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So funny how everytime black people get a grain of thing there's always people trying to make it a white people problem.

This is a general skintone issue with the game FOR ALL SKIN COLORS. They really they should have introduced a color wheel giving us the ability to pic WHATEVER color you wanted in a wide spectrum. Not hand picked 100+ skintones half of which just look very unrealistic for any human being.

Why don't we have more color options for hair, why not more color options for eyes? ect. Why isn't there more skintone options for people of asian decent for that matter? Is it only black and white....and grey people? I only have ONE green option for my ogres and trolls, even with the slider they still look like bright green vegetables.

Instead of this political attitude to look at race, why not look at everyone as human and represent the entire human species with the widest available options to create a sim that represents you?

Yeah if you want. But we all knew skintones for white people were ''fine''. Plus you're countersaying yourself, your title is ''white tones'' but in here you're talking to me about grey and green people, so why this title?
    Yes and no... I could never make myself very well, being half Polish and half Irish. I have to settle for yellow or pale/sickly, plus there are still no full body freckles, so I can’t make most of my family either.

But you do understand black skintones were the only one with random weird red patches. At least the other tones were uniformed.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So funny how everytime black people get a grain of thing there's always people trying to make it a white people problem.

This is a general skintone issue with the game FOR ALL SKIN COLORS. They really they should have introduced a color wheel giving us the ability to pic WHATEVER color you wanted in a wide spectrum. Not hand picked 100+ skintones half of which just look very unrealistic for any human being.

Why don't we have more color options for hair, why not more color options for eyes? ect. Why isn't there more skintone options for people of asian decent for that matter? Is it only black and white....and grey people? I only have ONE green option for my ogres and trolls, even with the slider they still look like bright green vegetables.

Instead of this political attitude to look at race, why not look at everyone as human and represent the entire human species with the widest available options to create a sim that represents you?

Yeah if you want. But we all knew skintones for white people were ''fine''. Plus you're countersaying yourself, your title is ''white tones'' but in here you're talking to me about grey and green people, so why this title?

But you do understand black skintones were the only one with random weird red patches. At least the other tones were uniformed.
    That’s why I said yes and no.. I think we can all agree the darker tones were in serious need of a fix. I think the issue is that groups of players will still feel left out, because it’s very difficult to cover everyone while only using swatches.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The light skin tones were in more need of an upgrade imo. I personally never had an issue with the darker tones. But I swear I only ever used the same 2 for light skins before. And I was sad to see with the update, once again lighter skins were neglected...
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2020
    I wouldn't mind having more pale and misc options. Hopefully we get more skin tone updates along with gameplay updates. Babies really need a huge overhaul and don't really fit with the new update since babies technically have even fewer options so creates a sort of genetics issue when they are born when babies are converted from objects to real life stages. Just is a mess tech wise with the transition of growing up. On the plus side at least not seeing the horror of objects aging to full grown children anymore like how it was before toddlers. Very dark days then.

Deli provides some nice constructive feedback about the update. Only thing I don't agree on is the new menu page because it helps a lot with preventing headaches now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbAE36XdoU
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think there are more darker skin tones because the darker skin tones were originally patchy and ashy. I never noticed the paler skin tones being an issue until you mentioned it. Now that I think about it, you're right, more good pale skin tones are needed, not just the tones that look sick/ashy.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Honestly the new skin tone changes haven't done much. i've tried it out a few times and i haven't seen much change at all for what i am looking at. Some of my sims are just better off on their defaults.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm pretty sure that if EA added 5000 new skin tones, lots of simmers would still complain they could not find their real skin tone. I think we must play very different games, I never even tried to find my own skin match, I want all kinds of skins, I never really realized this was a problem at all. It's a game. If i want real skin tones I'd shut down my computer and rather walk outside (counting pale blue faces) ;)

PS: When will we discuss beauty spots on belly or left leg?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm pretty sure that if EA added 5000 new skin tones, lots of simmers would still complain they could not find their real skin tone. I think we must play very different games, I never even tried to find my own skin match, I want all kinds of skins, I never really realized this was a problem at all. It's a game. If i want real skin tones I'd shut down my computer and rather walk outside (counting pale blue faces) ;)

PS: When will we discuss beauty spots on belly or left leg?

What i see is that i select one skin tone, use the slider i can get the exact same skin tone from 3 blocks either side on their default making those additional choices in between absolutely pointless to have. Not sure what is accomplished by that. it would of been more helpful if the skin tones were just different enough from each other to cover the ground between with the sliders instead, meaning a few less extras.
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    They should've just went with a color wheel, I mean they used one for cats and dogs so I don't see the excuse anymore for human sims.
  • VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    Edit: Updated my game today and tried out the new skin tones, and feel reallying disappointed. I played around a bit and the light skin tones are extremely lacking and a lot are ugly. Im gonna continue using CC skin tones.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top