Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims: Assistant Producer Reed Pake Leaves Maxis

Reed Pake, Assistant Producer to The Sims 4, announced today that he is leaving Maxis to move on to his “next adventure”. Reed to to Twitter to announce his departure.

"Reed Pake #BLM
@Reed_Pake
Today is my last day at EA/Maxis. It has been an honor to learn from & work alongside such an awesome team. Working on The Sims 4 has been a dream come true & I’m so grateful to have had this experience. Onto the next adventure! 🙂"

Reed’s announcement comes just a day after SimGuruDuke bid farewell. Some of the more eagle eyed community members also noticed that SimGuruSarah has updated her Twitter profile to reflect that she is now a “former” Associate Producer to The Sims 4. Unlike the others, Sarah has not made an announcement, so it is unclear whether she moved within EA/Maxis, or if she too has left.

Comments

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I don't see his tweet? Did he delete it? :#

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Another person leaving? What is going on at Maxis... :o
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Guess the sims is really sinking big time .
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    EA/Maxis now appears to recruit on 1 year or 3 month basis so I don't see any importance in this.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’ve seen a few of these announcements on Twitter. I really wonder what is going on at Maxis.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Ah well. Jobs come and go.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    EA/Maxis now appears to recruit on 1 year or 3 month basis so I don't see any importance in this.

I don't get this way of hiring. It takes them about 1 year to create a pack, what sort of continuity do they have in the development of their products if teams keep changing? Things get lost on the way and you waste a lot of time training and supervising new people all the time.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I wonder if it has anything to do with Sims 5?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Something amiss
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    are they leaving on their own or they're getting fired?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Big corporations tend to hire a lot of contractors, which is essentially temp work that gets extensions as needed. Every time the contract comes to an end, there is a decision to renew or not. It's not unusual for companies to not renew and cut back. When a developer says "looks like my time at Maxis has come to an end", it is most likely a reference to the end of a contract.

My partner works for a corporation and they just had some people leave as well. The company is doing just fine. This is actually standard practice. He's actually been on a contract himself when he started his position and after a couple of renewals they made him permanent. But his company shifts around all the time, letting people go, hiring new ones. It's really just about business tactics.

It's also possible that it could be a sign that Sims 4 is winding down a little and going into "coasting" mode. They could possibly have enough content in development now to get them through the next year or two before deciding where the game goes, so they wouldn't need as many people. I believe this has been the practice in previous games. I guess at this point, only time will tell.
    #Team Occult
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    People change companies for new opportunities all the time. It's a thing. It's not a suspicious thing.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

I don't get this way of hiring. It takes them about 1 year to create a pack, what sort of continuity do they have in the development of their products if teams keep changing? Things get lost on the way and you waste a lot of time training and supervising new people all the time.

I agree. How much passion can you have for your work if you're only scheduled to work at a company for a year? That's why we end up seeing better work done in indie games, because they're actually passionate about their art. I don't think temp workers ever replace good long-term workers. But that's corporate life in America, money over creativity as usual :(
    LiELF wrote: »
    Big corporations tend to hire a lot of contractors, which is essentially temp work that gets extensions as needed. Every time the contract comes to an end, there is a decision to renew or not. It's not unusual for companies to not renew and cut back. When a developer says "looks like my time at Maxis has come to an end", it is most likely a reference to the end of a contract.

My partner works for a corporation and they just had some people leave as well. The company is doing just fine. This is actually standard practice. He's actually been on a contract himself when he started his position and after a couple of renewals they made him permanent. But his company shifts around all the time, letting people go, hiring new ones. It's really just about business tactics.

It's also possible that it could be a sign that Sims 4 is winding down a little and going into "coasting" mode. They could possibly have enough content in development now to get them through the next year or two before deciding where the game goes, so they wouldn't need as many people. I believe this has been the practice in previous games. I guess at this point, only time will tell.

This game needs way more work with the amount of bugs it has. No one can afford to be "coasting." IMO
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    The day that Graham or Ninja leave is the day I'll be really worried.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I don't think anyone puts down roots for very long in any line of work but tech people tend to move around a lot anyway. Also, tech companies love to recruit new talent more often than most other industries. Tech is always on the move.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don't find it odd that people are leaving.

Duke probably had a better offer somewhere else. Doesn't mean that he was or was not actively looking for a new job, headhunters recruit for companies all the time. I've had several contact me for various positions at other companies. It's really not unheard of for people to change jobs after a long period of time. I left my job at a hospital after 12 years to go work at a private practice doctor's office setting because the benefits and atmosphere and other perks were better for me personally.

And I agree with LiELF that contract work is very, very common in companies. Sometimes they are interns and gaining experience in the industry which helps to beef up their resume and when the contract is over, the people leave if there's no longer a need for their particular skill. When I worked at the hospital we hired temps all the time, it would stink to have to train them to do the job and then 3 months later they would leave, only to have a new temp hired a few weeks later and the same process would happen all over again.

So yeah, I'm not too worried that something bad is happening at Maxis or EA.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes, people leave for better opportunities or because “life” happens. But, people also leave due to toxic work environments.

The question is, which is which in this case? We may never know.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    bixters wrote: »

This game needs way more work with the amount of bugs it has. No one can afford to be "coasting." IMO

I was referring to content creation specifically. The bug team is a separate team and I don't think anyone there has left.

The way Sims 4 content has been created (as we've been told) is that they've had several things in production at once. The closer it gets to the release of a pack, they switch team members around to put more focus on that pack to make sure it's completely finished for the deadline. But there have always been multiple things in development. In past games, we've usually seen a sudden barrage of content released in the last couple of years because a lot of the core development has been done, so suddenly multiple things gain momentum at once. It kind of becomes easier to continue at that point. Remember that Sims 4 has over 200 devs and many, many different positions and types of work within this game. Engineers, coders, artists, audio producers, designers, writers, animators, project management, etc... and then there are subgroups within each category. Cutting a few people here and there isn't going to cripple game production, especially if certain work departments have dwindled because they already have a substantial amount of product done. We've heard before from devs about how sometimes one department is sitting around waiting for another department to complete something for a pack because their part is finished already, and no company wants their employees being idle for too long. So they cut a contractor. Then, in several months, if they need more ramping up, they'll hire someone else to contract in for a few months or a year or however long they predict the work will take. Then the cycle starts again.

It should also be noted that they have currently put out ads for two audio editing positions. So while they have let go of some people, they are still hiring others.
    #Team Occult
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited December 2020
    Well, when known people leave that have a long history with a franchise... people often worry that what made the original games great will disappear... SimGuruDuke had worked on Maxis for 14,5 years.

That is not always the case though. I guess it remains to be seen if this will lead to any larger changes or not. I don't know what exactly these people worked on.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    You know how many people Rockstar Games and CDPR probably go through a year lol? Working in the gaming industry has notoriously been known to be a nightmare, especially AAA studios. They probably left for better opportunities.

• TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited December 2020
    People change companies for new opportunities all the time. It's a thing. It's not a suspicious thing.

I was about to say this. A lot of people (especially in this industry) work under a timed contract. I'm sure it's nothing big.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited December 2020
    humm I wish we had list of which gurus worked on which packs and games

it'd be fun to investigate

for science
    *dramatically puts on monocle*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    bixters wrote: »

Every single bug is never going to be fixed, especially with the root of the problem being the engine itself....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Found this on Twitter. Reed Pake has gone on to other things and probably his experience at Maxis has helped him up the ladder. Good luck in the new job.