Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which would you prefer for Sims 5?

Comments

• LeaselmaryLeaselmary Posts: 108 Member
    Sims 4-3 Combination
    I voted for combo, but I have strong suspicion Sims 5 will be a completely different game, probably an online subscription service, and not exited about it.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    Sims 4-3 Combination
    Fully open world, but I dont mind loading screen only sims is traveling to another world or vacation world.

I'm more trapped in the sims 4 than in sims 3, as I have no desire to go visit neighbors or community lot due to loading screen hopping
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Other... (explain)
    Large (at least Pleasantview-sized) worlds with open, customisable neighbourhoods. Each neighbourhood will have about 6 lots by default, but there’ll be room for several more.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    Personally I don't really care what route they go, but out of the options open world sounds the most promising.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    I don't know the difference between combination of 3 & 4 and what we have now in ts4. To me it IS a combination of the 2.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sims 4-3 Combination
    Either open neighborhood or closed lot like Sims 2. Either one is fine, as long as the lots are super full of sims! And be able to create my own neighborhoods and place my own lots. I like the option of moving from one world to another but its not integral to my playstyle as long as i can make my own lots.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sims 4 Style Closed World
    I voted for closed world because I think the other options would be problematic for rotational play. Now if we talked about a smaller amount of lots like 4-5 being open I could consider it, but 15-20 is just too many to sacriface. I Imagine that in the open area I would be playing one main family and the rest would have to be side characters. Not sure how it would actually work out.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sims 4-3 Combination
    I think for today technology, having a big open world like ts3 where you can still freely travel between world like sims 4 should have been possible. many game were able to do that where you can still travel world to world for example from the commonwealth to far harbor in fallout 4.

there is no need to limit what developer can do by allowing free travel between world at the cost of smaller 15-20 lots open world.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    First, I wouldn't call The Sims 4 world closed. I actually love how they chose to set it up - it's semi-open and I think that's optimal for both gameplay, reaching a happy medium with most Sims players and definitely for broadest computer performance.

Second, if they were to go with an open world, then I would hope it'd really be open. In Sims 3, I would still get the equivalent of a loading screen when my computer processor(?) wasn't working "up to speed" with the bloated game. Also, I would hope that this open world wouldn't mean that the look of our sims or their numbers in the world would have to take a major hit as they did in Sims 3 - I'm almost positive that the reason why the sims themselves were less expressive, less unique-looking in game as opposed to in-CAS and more robotic was because they put all of the work into making the open world (and CASt) function. A lot was sacrificed just so we could ooh and aah over an "open" world. If it has to be a toss-up between open world and sims, I'm going to choose the sims themselves every time. I don't care about walking to a neighbor's house or to a venue if the venue is only going to have 2 other sims or the neighbor's house is going to take 7 minutes to render so I might as well have a loading screen.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Sims 4-3 Combination
    First, I wouldn't call The Sims 4 world closed. I actually love how they chose to set it up - it's semi-open and I think that's optimal for both gameplay, reaching a happy medium with most Sims players and definitely for broadest computer performance.

Second, if they were to go with an open world, then I would hope it'd really be open. In Sims 3, I would still get the equivalent of a loading screen when my computer processor(?) wasn't working "up to speed" with the bloated game. Also, I would hope that this open world wouldn't mean that the look of our sims or their numbers in the world would have to take a major hit as they did in Sims 3 - I'm almost positive that the reason why the sims themselves were less expressive, less unique-looking in game as opposed to in-CAS and more robotic was because they put all of the work into making the open world (and CASt) function. A lot was sacrificed just so we could ooh and aah over an "open" world. If it has to be a toss-up between open world and sims, I'm going to choose the sims themselves every time. I don't care about walking to a neighbor's house or to a venue if the venue is only going to have 2 other sims or the neighbor's house is going to take 7 minutes to render so I might as well have a loading screen.

I always heard that the number of NPCs in world was dependent on your own hardware specs, if it was higher it could handle more sims, and also because of the amount of community lots in the world. If you had several "bars" in that world the NPCs would be divided up, but if you only had 1 bar it would be busier. Also, if you changed the rabbit hole lots that you didn't use to No Visitors then NCPS wouldn't be hanging outside it and would be forced to go to actual venues. It also depended on what time of day you visited, as NPCs living in the world might have jobs and not be available for visiting community lots

I tested that in my game by changing rabbit holes that I didn't want to actually be a functional rabbit hole to No Visitors and I had lots of people at the beach bar I went to.
  • Momma_Bear0705Momma_Bear0705 Posts: 28 Member
    Other... (explain)
    I would actually LOVE open worlds....Like... go ANYWHERE and even have a car... also a farm life would be nice...More career options...A modder has already created an open world and a farmlife...but I dont know... In the EA its not just "one" person doing everything...(I think). Its aactually a team..and each and everyone has a specific thing to do. Usually things work much better (again in MY opinion) when its a lot of people on one project. If I were a programmer and did coding and all that weird math I would have to do, my mind would simply black out :P :P
  • UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    Open or bust. TS4 was a big disappointment and hopefully they've learned something from their mistakes.

Seeing a lot of love for 3-4 mix but ideally it'd be better if you can have multiple open worlds where everything is easy to travel between but still maintains relationships and simulates progression on every world for the sake of continunity and timelines. (It'd be much more strain though for resources though)
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Sims 3 Style Open World

I always heard that the number of NPCs in world was dependent on your own hardware specs, if it was higher it could handle more sims, and also because of the amount of community lots in the world. If you had several "bars" in that world the NPCs would be divided up, but if you only had 1 bar it would be busier. Also, if you changed the rabbit hole lots that you didn't use to No Visitors then NCPS wouldn't be hanging outside it and would be forced to go to actual venues. It also depended on what time of day you visited, as NPCs living in the world might have jobs and not be available for visiting community lots

I tested that in my game by changing rabbit holes that I didn't want to actually be a functional rabbit hole to No Visitors and I had lots of people at the beach bar I went to.

I agree. And most people nowadays have newer and more powerful computers. I've bought a new gaming laptop and my TS3 worlds are a lot more lively.

TS3 worlds tend to be more lively during the afternoon to evening hours because they've finished work and school and go out to have fun and socialize. Here is the mall at evening.
    Screenshot-61.jpg

Here is the diner/grocery combo lot in Isla Paradiso in the afternoon.
    Screenshot-8.jpg

I was wondering when they were all going to notice the guy that passed out on the floor, lol!
    Screenshot-10.jpg

Even lunchtime can be pretty busy. At the bistro, someone ate some spicy food and was breathing out fire when one of the bistro tables and chairs got caught in the stream! Of course, this caused all the sims in the lot to run and crowd around it, but fortunately, my sim, the firemen and a few other brave sims put it out and no one died!
    Screenshot-115.jpg

I had all the young adults in my current world in Isle of Sims 3 go to the homeworld university at the same time. This is the science building in between classes.
    Screenshot-97.jpg

Also it's not just the newer more powerful CPUs. Installing the game to an SSD really does help A LOT. Plus the usual NRAAS mods like MasterController and Overwatch, but also Go Here as well, because that mod pushes sims to go out more and do stuff. So a lively open world is possible. For the TS5 team, they should take a look at TS3 and the NRAAS mods to get ideas and code. Also talk to the TS3 engineers that created the game engine - to me it was a pretty amazing achievement that they were able to pack so much gameplay into TS3. But since this will be the second time to create an open world, it should be optimized this time.

PS: I'm so enjoying TS3 in a more powerful computer! Oh my gosh, I'm in love with it all over again! <3

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Other... (explain)
    I would like open districts so for example you could have an open residential area then you wa tv to go to the cub so you go to the downtown district and that triggers a loading screen but a Sims doesn’t just teleport in they will drive off or in to the district (/if they have a car) or they can go to the subway and travel around the world go to other world that way also and this is important IF I LIVE IN THE DESERT I DON’T WANT TO TRAVEL TO A DIFFERENT CLIMIT JUST FOR A DRINK.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2020
    I like the ability to travel between the various worlds so that when new releases and new towns/cities get added you don't have to uproot your sims to visit them or to edit your town whether by cheat or through inherit mechanics. I hated that in The Sims 3. I think it was a challenge where you needed to make a certain drink that was only served at a particular venue that wasn't available in all worlds.

I like being able to explore the neighborhood and not be limited to just one lot as it was in the Sims 2. There we could only go to community lots or home. We couldn't drop by or enter the houses of other sims, we couldn't even cross the boundary line of our property. I like that options in the Sims 3.

I think if they did the neighborhoods the same size as they do in the Sims 4 but made it so that it was totally open that would be good. The fully open world concept that was in the Sims 3 caused me to lag. The Sims 4 is much better in that regard. If I am focusing on doing a task with my sim in one part of the map, I really don't care about having access to other sections. In fact, having access to those other sections just makes doing things tougher because of the lag.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    I think for today technology, having a big open world like ts3 where you can still freely travel between world like sims 4 should have been possible. many game were able to do that where you can still travel world to world for example from the commonwealth to far harbor in fallout 4.

there is no need to limit what developer can do by allowing free travel between world at the cost of smaller 15-20 lots open world.

I think the technology on the development side is definitely there and I am sure they know how to do it. But they can't just think of what they can do - they have to think about the players that might be playing it on systems or platforms that aren't new or top of the line and what their particular set ups can do. They can't just cater to the high end players with more powerful computers. So I think that more than tech limits them. In a way it's players that are limiting them. If this was a compromise to allow more players to buy and enjoy the game then I think it's a good concession to make for their sake.

(This is also part of the reason why I am glad they are doing far more free updates and less focus on the store transactions like the Sims 3 had as most of the really cool items came from there. It was a deterrent I am sure to most I think that would have liked to play it but couldn't afford all the bells and whistles that were released through the store. While at the time I could afford it, and got all of the items, it was pricey and I am glad they got away from it in Sims 4.)
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    I like the ability to travel between the various worlds so that when new releases and new towns/cities get added you don't have to uproot your sims to visit them or to edit your town whether by cheat or through inherit mechanics. I hated that in The Sims 3. I think it was a challenge where you needed to make a certain drink that was only served at a particular venue that wasn't available in all worlds.

You can place any venue in any world though, so if that world didn't have that venue, you can just add it. For example, I love a lot of stuff/venues from the Into the Future and World Adventures EPs, but I don't want to always have to go to those worlds just to use/visit those things. So, I just place them in the current world I'm playing.

I think if they did the neighborhoods the same size as they do in the Sims 4 but made it so that it was totally open that would be good. The fully open world concept that was in the Sims 3 caused me to lag. The Sims 4 is much better in that regard. If I am focusing on doing a task with my sim in one part of the map, I really don't care about having access to other sections. In fact, having access to those other sections just makes doing things tougher because of the lag.

Lag is caused by routing issues and not so much an open world. I had a 2014 dell computer (4gb RAM, integrated Intel graphics) that ran the TS3 worlds just fine - especially when I moved the game to an SSD. For example, the world that came with the Island Paradise EP, Isla Paradiso, was pretty laggy because of so many routing issues, but once they were fixed, the world, large as it is, was lag free - even on my old 2014 computer!

So an open world system with Create-A-World and ability to travel between worlds is much better because of it's flexibility. You can create huge worlds, as well as smaller open neighborhoods if one wishes. If you only have open neighborhoods, it will lock out the open world simmers and wouldn't be as flexible. TS3 right now has hundreds of fan-made worlds of all different sizes and different environments that are pretty much lag-free because their creators had more time to quality check them, unlike the EA creators who didn't have as much time to do so before product release.

With an open world system you can build things like these:

1) Boroughsburg: Replica of Brooklyn, New York
    c4fb0d1da8a02846c350329ea4977e3b617ac315.jpg

2) Mermaidia: A mermaid fantasy world
    MTS_Crowkeeper-1925454-0003_MoreviewsofMermaidia0001.jpg

3) Cronor: A cyberpunk/steampunk world
    MTS_CroNor-1805698-Cronor00-preview.jpg

4) And even a Cruise Ship:
    tumblr_ovq9e6DP9M1ta8pmho2_r3_540.gifv

In TS3, your sim can travel to a whole string of other worlds before heading back to their homeworld if one wishes, so I like using this cruise ship before going to other worlds to make it more like a real vacation.

So this is what an open world system can do and would be a great feature in TS5. If EAxis would give simmers this much creative freedom for TS5, it will allow everyone to play it whether they prefer huge open worlds or smaller open neighborhoods, and will be a great iteration that have the same long selling longevity that TS1, TS2 and TS3 has!

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Other... (explain)
    I want a mix of Sims 3 and Sims 4 with being able to access all the worlds any time only going through a loading screen but I do not want small worlds. Sims 4 worlds are way too small for my liking. I like full and vibrant towns and cities. I love creating my own townies and populating the towns even more than they already are but also playing multiple households of my own creation and adding more community lots so 20 lots wouldn't cut it for me. The least number of lots in a Sims 3 world was around 46 lots and that was a vacation/adventure world (information about lot numbers per world from here and here). I want big worlds and many lots like Sims 3 has along with the option to edit the worlds, add lots, and hopefully add addresses as well because that was a minor detail that irritated me in Sims 3 when adding lots.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    I want a mix of Sims 3 and Sims 4 with being able to access all the worlds any time only going through a loading screen but I do not want small worlds. Sims 4 worlds are way too small for my liking. I like full and vibrant towns and cities. I love creating my own townies and populating the towns even more than they already are but also playing multiple households of my own creation and adding more community lots so 20 lots wouldn't cut it for me. The least number of lots in a Sims 3 world was around 46 lots and that was a vacation/adventure world (information about lot numbers per world from here and here). I want big worlds and many lots like Sims 3 has along with the option to edit the worlds, add lots, and hopefully add addresses as well because that was a minor detail that irritated me in Sims 3 when adding lots.

Thanks for those links about Sims 3 EA worlds! <3 But don't forget - we also have a ton more Sims 3 fan-made worlds of varying sizes and populations too! <3

You also mentioned about adding addresses? Sims 3 lots have addresses - I think you can name the streets in CAW and addresses get added when you add a lot which is placed by a street. Do you mean manually adding a street address?

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Other... (explain)

Thanks for those links about Sims 3 EA worlds! <3 But don't forget - we also have a ton more Sims 3 fan-made worlds of varying sizes and populations too! <3

You also mentioned about adding addresses? Sims 3 lots have addresses - I think you can name the streets in CAW and addresses get added when you add a lot which is placed by a street. Do you mean manually adding a street address?

You're welcome! Hopefully they bring back CAW in Sims 5 so we can have fan made worlds. If the Maxis made worlds for Sims 5 are going to be as small as Sims 4 worlds I'll need them lol. I still want to get the hang of CAW but I may wait until I get a desktop (I say as I seriously consider pulling my laptop close and playing with it today anyway :lol: ). I've been browsing through the Sims 3 forums looking at the desktop recommendations to get some understanding of the specs I should be looking for so far.

I meant adding addresses to the lots we place ourselves in edit town mode in game. Unless there's a mod I don't know about address can only be added in the lot info when building worlds. I know I can just add an address in the details for lots in game but I just want it to feel more official if that makes sense.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Other... (explain)
    Sims 3 style if they can properly test for routing issues and other things that cause lag.

The Sims 3 and Sims 4 combo if they are not able to do so.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    The Sims 3 style because for me is the best world system in the franchise
  • TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    I gotta say that while I liked the open world of TS3, I really hated the time you wasted traveling to different lots and how empty they seemed because everyone was spread out across the map. Loading screens really aren't that bothersome to me, but I can understand some people's frustration with them when they take longer than 45-60 seconds to load a lot. I still think I prefer the closed world over an open one.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
    edited April 2021
    Sims 3 Style Open World
    I gotta say that while I liked the open world of TS3, I really hated the time you wasted traveling to different lots and how empty they seemed because everyone was spread out across the map. Loading screens really aren't that bothersome to me, but I can understand some people's frustration with them when they take longer than 45-60 seconds to load a lot. I still think I prefer the closed world over an open one.

In TS3, you also have the ability to instantly teleport anywhere in the world - and still with no loading screens!

Sims 3 Cheats | Easy Teleportation - Teleport your sims 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaHS3Dyvctg

If you don't want to use cheat codes, there are TS3 items that will teleport you as well such as the jetpack from the Into The Future EP or the air balloon from the Aurora Skies world, or the alien saucer from the Seasons EP. The subway system from the Late Night EP and the LLAMA transport system from the Supernatural EP will also teleport your sims too - it's not instant but a very short delay to convey transportation. What's nice about these two systems is that it can be used by everyone else in the world automatically.

If you set up your world with these systems properly, they actually take away a lot of the lag from the world. I created an island for a research lab in the world I'm currently playing. Since a good number of sims work there, plus tourists and townies just wanting to visit the place, there was a lot of lag because all the various types of boats and jet skies were all landing at the same point. I was able to eliminate ALL the lag by placing a subway station and LLAMA transport device in the island! So now, while there are still townies that will boat to the island, plenty of townies and tourists make liberal use of the subway and LLAMA system as well!

Screenshot-106.jpg
    LLAMA system is on the central boardwalk on the left in white. Subway system in forest green is on the right next to the science rabbithole situated on the right side of the central boardwalk.
    (By the way, I added this island to the world. Yes, in TS3 you can do that, but NOT in TS4!)

For those of you who already have TS3, try Rflong's Isle of Sims III! It really is a beautiful world with fantastic sunsets and 4 fully designed scuba diving lots!

Screenshot-204.jpg

Also, because TS3 worlds are so customizable - unlike with TS4 worlds where you can't change the size of lots, remove, add or move them - you can move the lots around within the TS3 world to bring them closer together if you don't want the sims to be spread apart.

TS4 players really should venture out and try TS3 to see why an open world system is so much better. Contrary to what's being said about it, it's not laggy because of its open world system and TS3 veteran players know this. It's one of the reasons why we love and keep playing the game!

• Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    Other... (explain)
    Combination but with open neighborhoods instead of open worlds