Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really liking the new sliders for skin and makeup~

2...Next

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I was busy yesterday evening, so I didn't realize the update had already been released until today. The make-up sliders are even better than I imagined. Even the matte lipstick from GT, which I always found to be obnoxious and actually even had a default replacement for, can now be used to create what I consider to be beautiful shades that look natural on any skintone.

3r9uiX4.jpg

I agree! The lipsticks are so much better when they're toned down, I can't believe they were added the way they were in the first place. So much of the makeup has become actually usable, I feel like I just got a bunch of CC, lol.

I think I'm going to mass edit some townies to give them more skin tone varieties and improved makeup looks after I revisit a bunch of my own Sims to improve them.
    #Team Occult
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I haven’t updated my game yet but does anyone know how other households make up or skintone is? Does it stay the same or does it look wacky now?
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    I haven’t updated my game yet but does anyone know how other households make up or skintone is? Does it stay the same or does it look wacky now?

For me everything is the same. But if you use CC skins, skin details or makeup, your sims may look different.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    The only issue I have is with genetics... Genetics is one of the most important features for me as someone who plays a family that's run for over 10+ generations. I'm just really afraid to play with my main family now because I'm afraid their children will end up with very weird skintones compared to their parents' skintones. I also don't want all of my sims' kids to end up with the exact same middle tone between the parents' skintones because that's just boring.
  • ZenSimbuildsZenSimbuilds Posts: 29 Member
    same here, this update saved me! I love dark/brown sims, to reflect my self. and this is awesome. the skintones are so varied, some are richer and some are more neutral, but i can make the sim i want <3 o:)
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I'm really happy for those who wanted/needed the darker skintones. and I'll defintely be using them a lot.

But as for me, I'm a bit disappointed. I wish there were at least a few more pale/fair skintones. I don't mean just "white" but actual pale/fair ones. Like the stereotypical Irish and Scottish type of skintones. I myself am pretty fair-skinned (and actually have some ancestors in that general region) I don't tan, I burn... but I don't feel I can very accurately represent that. There's only like 2 or 3 swatches I can really use. And the fact that they're only under "warm" is a bit of bummer to me too. :/

Guess I'll be using CC Skintones again once they're updated.
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I'm really happy for those who wanted/needed the darker skintones. and I'll defintely be using them a lot.

But as for me, I'm a bit disappointed. I wish there were at least a few more pale/fair skintones. I don't mean just "white" but actual pale/fair ones. Like the stereotypical Irish and Scottish type of skintones. I myself am pretty fair-skinned (and actually have some ancestors in that general region) I don't tan, I burn... but I don't feel I can very accurately represent that. There's only like 2 or 3 swatches I can really use. And the fact that they're only under "warm" is a bit of bummer to me too. :/

Guess I'll be using CC Skintones again once they're updated.

Have you tried using the sliders for the pale skin tones? I agree that some pale tones are still hard to recreate, but I found that making some of the existing tones either warmer or cooler helped make better matches for some of my fair sims. And I’m the same way - I’m half Irish and my skin has never tanned in my entire life lol. I just get a bit of a redder undertone when a sunburn fades
  • ZenSimbuildsZenSimbuilds Posts: 29 Member
    > @MeowchaFrappe said:
    > I'm really happy for those who wanted/needed the darker skintones. and I'll defintely be using them a lot.
    >
    > But as for me, I'm a bit disappointed. I wish there were at least a few more pale/fair skintones. I don't mean just "white" but actual pale/fair ones. Like the stereotypical Irish and Scottish type of skintones. I myself am pretty fair-skinned (and actually have some ancestors in that general region) I don't tan, I burn... but I don't feel I can very accurately represent that. There's only like 2 or 3 swatches I can really use. And the fact that they're only under "warm" is a bit of bummer to me too. :/
    >
    > Guess I'll be using CC Skintones again once they're updated.

---They can always add more later. This new update was done primarily to address the ashiness of the previous tones , for darker sims.

---They can always add more later. This new update was done primarily to address the ashiness of the previous tones , for darker sims.

I get that! And I'd be totally okay if they decided to add more later. But I honestly don't know if they will. It seems kind of unlikely that they'd add even more skin tones in the future.

Have you tried using the sliders for the pale skin tones? I agree that some pale tones are still hard to recreate, but I found that making some of the existing tones either warmer or cooler helped make better matches for some of my fair sims. And I’m the same way - I’m half Irish and my skin has never tanned in my entire life lol. I just get a bit of a redder undertone when a sunburn fades

I have tried using the sliders, yes. And although adjusting the existing options does help a little bit, I still only found a few additional options that actually look decent. I guess I just find the variety of options a bit limited? If that makes sense.

I mostly avoid the sun or use a ton of sunscreen when I do go out, to prevent as much of the burning as possible. Lol.

• shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 255 Member
    edited December 2020
    Has anybody noticed that this update has totally destroyed years of work for those who use custom skins and skintones?
    Every thing we have used for the entirety of Sims 4 time has been destroyed, not a single skin or skintone to be found in the new CAS.

This is appalling careless work [CM - Edit]
    Post edited by EA_Barry on
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed that this update has totally destroyed years of work for those who use custom skins and skintones?
    Every thing we have used for the entirety of Sims 4 time has been destroyed, not a single skin or skintone to be found in the new CAS.

This is appalling careless work code Monkeys.

Well I've always heard that EA does not officially support CC and that you use it at your own risk, so the update they have done is to support their own work. Some people can not use CC (such as consoles players and those on lower end PCs) and some people do not want to use CC so this update helps them a lot.

I usually use a default skin replacement and then overlays, I have not tried my game with my CC in it to test what happens, if anything to them. I heard some people saying that the majority of their CC was fine just that some of the make-up sliders didn't actually work on it.

What happened in your game?
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    @Chicklet453681 , It is the non-default actual cc skintones what mostly are not showing up, overlays usually are located at facial details and those do work. :)

Also default replacement skintones should work just fine :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    edited December 2020
    I really like the new skincolors but somethings strange about the eyes... theyre outlined in a brighter tone, with a "darker" tone under the eyebrows innerside each side next to the nose. it looks weird to me.. but maybe this is what it is to look better and I am not used to it?

12-09-20-12-25-25-AM.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I get that! And I'd be totally okay if they decided to add more later. But I honestly don't know if they will. It seems kind of unlikely that they'd add even more skin tones in the future.

I have tried using the sliders, yes. And although adjusting the existing options does help a little bit, I still only found a few additional options that actually look decent. I guess I just find the variety of options a bit limited? If that makes sense.

I mostly avoid the sun or use a ton of sunscreen when I do go out, to prevent as much of the burning as possible. Lol.
    I'm part Irish myself and found options, but yeah you should suggest some ideas and offer reference pictures to the Gurus directly. I tan thankfully to the Iroquois well, but I have a lot of freckles. So I wouldn't mind body hair and body freckles. I found out that EA has some different programs within the company to talk about inclusivity in their games which they used for Jungle Adventures pack and the recent Latino patch.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    This so takes me back to the Sims 3 CAS. I'm so happy with the Skintones sliders & hope there will be a hair color slider &
    eye color slider next.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited December 2020
    Tantalus wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »

It's such a huge difference and makes so many of the items way more usable. Also I'm so happy to finally have some nice and usable pale tones in the game!

I almost see no difference at all lol. Obviously in the eyes shadow and such but in anything else...

It's only the eye shadow and such that's different lol. The pink eye shadow is a much more subtle colour, the eyeliner is less dramatic and the lips are more muted in comparison to the regular swatch
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Justin wrote: »

One of the blushes has changed and is now bright red rather than pale red unless you change it but other than that I don't think anything has changed
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I never did download very many skin tones and overlays, it bloats my mods folder too much, but after the patch and I experimented on my sims with the skin tones and I love them! I love them so much I took all my skins out, I don't need them anymore. :D Oh and cc skin doesn't tan anymore, bummer.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Yep I am loving mine. I am creating some beautiful sims! I also updated one of my pre-existing Sims :smiley:

40gV8Xw.png

DtogPAK.png
    giphy.gif
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I am really worried that now the townies will get the weirdest combination and skin colour and makeup. Can anyone confirm townies don’t get the full range of random colours ?!

I am hoping they do. I love my crazy townies!
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
    I like the sliders. I think they will allow for a very wide range of sims with different genetics and the make-up sliders are great!. I am playing with no cc or mods at the moment so getting so many more options with my favorite lipsticks etc is awesome.

Onverser wrote: »
    Very nice about the makeup, hoping we can see the same feature with hair colors!

YESSSS!

Simmingal wrote: »
    obsessed with new skintones and make up colors but also i find it quite tricky to get hue i wanted so I will probably just be sitting around in cas now :lol:

I wish when you save makeup and skin those would stay in catalog for other saves and sims though

im so happy to put on some makeup on my emo boi without it looking like he used actual paint on his eyes

I haven't tried it yet but according to the patch notes, you are supposed to be able to save your custom creations some how.

Scobre wrote: »
    I'm part Irish myself and found options, but yeah you should suggest some ideas and offer reference pictures to the Gurus directly. I tan thankfully to the Iroquois well, but I have a lot of freckles. So I wouldn't mind body hair and body freckles. I found out that EA has some different programs within the company to talk about inclusivity in their games which they used for Jungle Adventures pack and the recent Latino patch.

I've honestly never suggested anything to the Gurus directly and I don't know if they'd even listen to me, but I'd be willing to give it a shot for sure. I managed to find a few extra swatches that I can use, but I still feel like paler tones are very limited. I'd be totally on board with the body freckles though too.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I really love the fact we can finally tone down some of the more, er, eccentric make up :lol:

I mean, what a difference! A before and after below.

Before
    mN5fNZR.png

After
    YT9kXdK.png
    giphy.gif