Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buy Mode set is half-baked in general

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
edited December 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Lets be honest, The Sims 4 has the best build mode but I see a huge weakness which is repeate with every pack and base game updates. I want to highlight some weaknesses and show some things which need to be developed or corrected.

1. Swatches
Weird, not matching textures and swatches are extremally common in the sims 4. What is worse, sometimes furnitures from one pack do not match to each other. For example Cool Kitchen cabinets and counters:

Sims-4-cool-kitchen-units.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=389

2. Some packs have similar items
I do not know why, but some items are the same in packs. For example:

This type of windows (Base Game, Spa Day, Eco Lifestyle ect.):
07-14-15_6-22-PM-4-300x169.png07-14-15_6-23-PM-300x169.png

This type of decoration (City Living, Get Famous, Eco Lifestyle):
100.png

3. Recycled textures between packs.
Some objects are totally copy-pasted between base game-packs or pack-pack. For example used counters in City Living. They are just copied counters from base game with some changes in base swatches:
23.png

Realm of Magic has the same issue:
s9t0hnuzu9m31.png?auto=webp&s=bd6b889473a4692f3d400158b2b7d73a575aa9f6

4. Lack of "mirror" version of some items.
Every type of unusual couch or armchair has this problem:

City Living:
20.png

Moschino:
08-10-19_10-50-11-AM.jpg

Snowy Escape:
Snow%2BEscape%2BLiving%2BRoom%2BDisplay.jpg

5. A lot of buy content in the packs are totally random:

I can not find any logic in My First Pet Stuff for example. What can I built?
Sims-4-My-First-Pet-Stuff-Pack-build-items.jpg

I can not also fine any logic in Vintage Glamour for example. Ok. Two beds wow! New desk. Nice! But where is any chair for this desk or matching furnitures to finish the bedroom or living room in this pack? I am not sure for which room this pack is, because I feel like this collection is too small to build a bedroom or living room. I guess that the bedroom is the closest but what about another rooms?

TS4VGS28I_qqwnxae.png

Why Dine Out has no furnitures for kitchen (open kitchen for example), but Vampires has whole set of cabinets and counters?

Why Snowy Escape has not closed version of new counters?

6. Island counters ALWAYS have wrong texture. Why?

7. Windows and doors from the same collection have different sizes. Unfortunately new patch does not help because doors are smaller and it is hard to put them higher.

Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    I totally agree about the swatch issue I'm so tired of all these pieces of furniture that almost match but don't actually. It makes building and decorating such a challenge if I want everything to look cohesive. It's why I frequently stick to black/white/wood tones since they're the easiest to match and even THEN it's still hard to have matching wood tones 🙄

The window thing is also weird cuz like...it's literally the exact same window. The ones in Spa Day at least have a different tint to the glass but like....😐 I'm paying for this?

Out of both principle and spite I still refuse to buy MFPS haha. It's just so obvious from the furniture that it was supposed to come with Cats and Dogs and I just will not pay extra for something that was split up from another pack so blatantly.

I actually use the vintage stuff a lot in my builds... You can use table chairs as desk chairs so I never had a problem with that. I usually use that pack to build fancy bedrooms for my rich actor sims or just sims who have expensive tastes haha. I also love the globe bar it really comes in handy for a small space and I like the platter of drinks you can make. Also even though there are bugs with the butler I do like having one for my wealthy sims.

I do wish that Dine Out came with more kitchen things you're right it is pretty spare which is surprising for a dining pack... But I do use items from that pack a lot especially in my restaurants or just cluttering up my kitchens.

I still can't believe we didn't even get island counters in the set that came in a pack titled Island Living haha we got them later in an update. I like them a lot but yeah...more swatch problems...

AND YES about the size of windows and doors sometimes it just makes no sense to me. There are a few doors that are locked to the medium wall height but should still JUST fit on a small wall height and it's so frustrating. And then sometimes there's a set of windows/doors with different heights so you cant match them easily. I love TS4 build mode but things like this and the swatches really get on my nerves haha.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I really don't get the swatches in this game. If you're gonna go by a swatch system for things like woods surely it'd make sense to have a certain preset of 15 tones that just get applied to every item? That's what most custom content creators do so I really don't understand why the developers dont.

YES! I agree, so frustrating to put things like windows up and the wooden color isn't an exact match. I really miss the create a style feature from the sims 3
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited December 2020
    thisss especially with the pack themes
    and window

there is so many same looking boring item they add in to make the pack feel "bigger" when in reality its object from another pack or base game tweaked a little and doesn't even belong with the theme at all

build mode becomes huge mess when you have same item 10 times over

and then the new cool different looking windows and doors in pack lack sizes and swatches

id rather if they cant make new window theyd make different sizes of unique windows already in the pack

than again run to that base game door or window and change texture ever so slightly
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I have used most of the My First Pet Stuff and Vintage Glamour objects in my builds, some I used together some as accent pieces. Maybe we could start a thread on how to style some of these objects? I agree on the tall windows all being similar but not quite enough. What annoys me most about them is that they usually don't have a matching door.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I have used most of the My First Pet Stuff and Vintage Glamour objects in my builds, some I used together some as accent pieces. Maybe we could start a thread on how to style some of these objects? I agree on the tall windows all being similar but not quite enough. What annoys me most about them is that they usually don't have a matching door.

I use the stuff for both packs also, but to be honest I need to use objects from another packs to complete one room, because it is impossible to do if you want to use only one. I like that furnitures but I totally have no idea what EA thought when they compiled the item list. It is ill-considered for me. I expect that Stuff Packs will have a full set to make at least one room or more. Tyni Living is closer to be better than anotherstuff packs, but I really miss some solutions for tiny bathroom or kitchen.

Examples:
    pb104-hygie-wc-kombi-s-umyvatkem-int.jpg
    15-9.png

indukcyjne-plyty_modulowe.jpg?mv0en0
    713214_4,rH17n6ummWegVo8.jpg
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    one of ts4 problems is the constant recycling and recolor of everything on the game. interactions, animations, furniture, etc. makes me concerned on how small is devs budget or how small is the sims team for how many corners they cut every single time. though, the swatches is something i don't understand. if they recycle half the game why not textures as well? does the textures get corrupted or something?
  • Options
    Sthenastia wrote: »

I use the stuff for both packs also, but to be honest I need to use objects from another packs to complete one room, because it is impossible to do if you want to use only one. I like that furnitures but I totally have no idea what EA thought when they compiled the item list. It is ill-considered for me. I expect that Stuff Packs will have a full set to make at least one room or more. Tyni Living is closer to be better than anotherstuff packs, but I really miss some solutions for tiny bathroom or kitchen.

Examples:
    pb104-hygie-wc-kombi-s-umyvatkem-int.jpg
    15-9.png

indukcyjne-plyty_modulowe.jpg?mv0en0
    713214_4,rH17n6ummWegVo8.jpg

I would have loved to see stuff like this for tiny living! The murphy bed was a great addition for space saving but would have been nice to see some bathroom and kitchen items that actually take up less space than the regular items as well. One of my tiny houses doesn't even have a bathroom sink since there's just no room, my sim always goes to the kitchen to wash her hands after using the bathroom haha. Would have really liked to see a space saver shower as well
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I couldn’t agree more !! There are often not enough swatches, counters and cabinets don’t match, they don’t even always have matching cabinets (how are we supposed to build a kitchen without cabinets ?!).

It would also be nice to have some counter options :

- Closed and open counter versions(Snowy escape),
    - Drawers or doors versions of the same counter, as kitchens don’t usually have rows of identical counters......
  • Options
    ^^

Thats why I think that the stuff which is available in packs is half-baked. It is extremally hard to build 32 tiles house (tier I) without MOO cheat and without throwing away some functions to the garden. Why? Simply kitchen requires 8 tiles of space - 4 for fridge+sink+counter+cooker + 4 to make that objects functional. Murphy bed or standard bed + couch needs 7/8 tiles to make this functional in tiny house. Fully functional bathroom needs additional 4 tiles + one for door in main room. That basic items meed 20/21 tiles but we need to put any wardrobe, table, chair ect. and leave some space to move between furnitures.

• Options
    Sthenastia wrote: »

Some solutions for tiny bathrooms and kitchens would have been very welcome, but I guess they didn't add them because it would involve additional animations. I would have been very happy to have some things under counters, like the mini fridge, the washer and dryer, garbage disposal, etc. as those things take up space and would be good to use the countertops at least. Also, the mini fridge would be good to be able to place it atop a counter as we could stack fridge on top and a dishwasher underneath. Or maybe they could add a half tile dishwasher and a half tile garbage disposal that could both go underneath the same counter. Would be great items for space saving, but they would likely require new animations, and we know EA prefers to keep new animations to a minimum.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Dianesims wrote: »
    - Drawers or doors versions of the same counter, as kitchens don’t usually have rows of identical counters......

woah i just now realized this is why sims kitchens always feel so off to me

its the doors + one drawer look

here its more common to have it like all drawers in same place cabinets in another part of kitchen

and due to just having the doors + drawer look you can't really do that
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    I agree so much. The swatches, having the exact same window in three packs, and "matching" windows and doors being different sizes annoy me so much. (Cabinets not matching counters annoys me in real life too lol #middleclassproblems). At least they did start giving us all-white and all-black for those who suck at color like me. And I'd forgive the couches if we could get at least one very versatile sectional.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    j1z1 wrote: »
    And I'd forgive the couches if we could get at least one very versatile sectional.

Yes please. in fabric look and leather look

and squarey low back non diner seat look and possibility to attach the seats like counter pieces

colors must include at least
    brown, beige,black, grey and white
    and maybe some funky colors
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited December 2020
    Well, apparently, it hasn't occured to anyone at Maxis to create "furniture sets". Just random furniture to make us all feel we are shopping at a flea market for our first apartment.

Actually, the concept of creating sets of anything doesn't seem to be their interest.

Finding that arm chair that matches the sofa. Or the door to match the window. Or, the dressers that matches the bed frame... that too is fun.

It's like they have one person who designs the sofa, and another who designs the arm chair. It must be like that. Because why would that one same person create a long list of non swatch compatible furniture. Doors and windows must be created by different people as well.....

So either 1 person is creating all this chaos all by themself... call it "lack of creative artistry", or multiple people are involved and simply don't communicate their creative results to ensure their work is relatable to each other.

You would think.... in the normal world at least, that when they took the color wheel AND the Cast away from us, they would be more attentive to their own designs.... being that we are limited to exactly that now.... just what they give us. But no.

They took away our ability to create logical sense, and they don't bother to offer us any.

What gets me is that they have a list of different color swatches that they use, but it's like they randomly pick which ones will be assigned to any build mode item. Why can't they just settle on maybe 25 swatches, and assign that list to every build item in the game. That way the blue lamp will always match the blue sofa. The green table will always match the green chair. Etc. etc.

Why does it have to be that if I start out with a red item, I have to search to lengths to see what else might have the color red as well?

And what's with all those wall shelves we can't put anything on that's bigger than a marble?

If that's not bad enough, they build worlds too small for cars, refuse to give us the option to have them, but..... yet, they toss cars in their new worlds builds, add fueling stations, parking lots, and even give us a garage door in the build mode. I mean pffffffft.

Just saying.
  • Options
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Well, apparently, it hasn't occured to anyone at Maxis to create "furniture sets". Just random furniture to make us all feel we are shopping at a flea market for our first apartment.

I designed my main family's house to have a very flea market/found object vibe, so actually the mess that maxis has made worked for that one particular family LOL, but in general I totally agree. I am not looking for that feel in most of my builds so it is very frustrating to never have anything actually match.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    If they cannot match the colors themselves atleast let us match it for ourselves with a color wheel.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I agree, it would ideal to have consistency in color options throughout swatches.

I miss Collections. Was it TS2 or TS3 that we had these? Basically it was a group of items that matched in style. So if I was furnishing a home I could pick a style and it was easier to see what went together. I think we could make our own collection folders, too.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I agree with a lot of your critisism, but not really about creating sets. I don't like using complete furniture sets myself, for me the creativity comes with combining them with other items. Room sets would be okay, but not something I would use as is. The City Living & Vampires counters I always assumed they threw them in the pack with some leftover budget that didn't allow creating completety new sets, so it would be either those or cutting from other stuff. Anyway you have a very detailed way of showing critisism and bringing up points which I appreciate.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    one of ts4 problems is the constant recycling and recolor of everything on the game. interactions, animations, furniture, etc. makes me concerned on how small is devs budget or how small is the sims team for how many corners they cut every single time. though, the swatches is something i don't understand. if they recycle half the game why not textures as well? does the textures get corrupted or something?

What happens is a time crunch with EA not giving the developers enough time to create something new. Instead, they have to resort to recolours which is easier and quicker to do the job. If EA gave developers more time to create our DLC to both the backend (coding and making the tech side with minimal glitches bugs and problems) and the front end (what we see with CAS items and Build/Buy items.) we would have a much better game.

Also just as there are stock models through companies like Poser and Daz Studios there is stock animation that these companies sell as well. It makes.

It's all about saving time and money and EA not caring about the product they put out.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    edited December 2020
    "The Sims 4 has the best build mode"

Yeah, no lol. You really need to play more videogames. I am all the time stopped on building many many things i want just because the build mode of the sims 4 has so many restrictions. Specially non sense restrictions. I cant argue that it has many good things , but i dont consider it top notch not even closer, and many things need to be done to make it one of the best building systems.

Now if you talk about just the sims franchise, and not generally speaking, yeah i would agree.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I agree, it would ideal to have consistency in color options throughout swatches.

I miss Collections. Was it TS2 or TS3 that we had these? Basically it was a group of items that matched in style. So if I was furnishing a home I could pick a style and it was easier to see what went together. I think we could make our own collection folders, too.
    Sims 2 had it. IIRC you could even make your own collection folders, too.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    babajayne wrote: »

Sims 2 had it. IIRC you could even make your own collection folders, too.

We can sort of have collection folders now but with rooms. :lol: It's quite annoying having to place the whole room down just to select a few items you need.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I always wanted one way to categorize all BB items in our own way. They are already sorted by functionality, but not always by cost. I would add a tag for what room or situation they suits. Like a framed food poster or a kitchen counter decor could be tagged Kitchen. As far as I know we have only premade rooms per room category, not items like decor and wallpapers.

I also would like to add a tag re what customer group the item will suit for. Just 3 alternatives could do, Rich, Middle, Poor. Anything not tagged by me could have the General tag by default. This would save me lots of time when equipping a house, and if I could set those tags myself, nothing would match poorly with *my* understanding of it. If another sim wanted, they could could go for "vibe" instead, Family, Single, Slob, Romantic, Minimalism, Granny etc. How much time we would save, oi!
    muzickmage wrote: »

I agree to most, and furniture sets would be nice! But did you try searching for the armchair's name? If in set, they will often have a common first name, no?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Maxis has to realize this is a problem... right? Its so frustrating finding things that match, I basically use the same counter, or same furniture in general actually, because only some of it matches.

I mean the games been out 5 years and we're finally getting more skin colors and an opacity slider, maybe in another 5 we'll get matching swatches.