Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How intelligent do you want Sims to be?

2...Next

Comments

• SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Smarter
    I want smarter Sims. I'd love if the personality we give them had more impact on how they interact and what activities they pick. I'd like their social interactions to correspond more with what they know about other sims and with relationships and memories. But most of all, I'd like my sims to stop wasting time and stop harming themselves with bad choices of autonomous actions.

As GrumpyGlowfish said, right now, Sims have trouble with pathing in situations that make no sense, wasting a lot of time because of it, from using sinks that are at the other end of a house instead of the one next to them to wash dishes, to picking up plates, putting them back down, picking them up, and so on without ever completing their task, to stopping all they do for a random social interaction (say, getting up and not eating because they want to hug instead of talk, or stopping cooking as they listen to another Sim talk), to refusing to take food from a fridge or take care of a toddler because another sim is blocking the way, even while they are not yet in the same room, so the way would be clear by the time they reach their objective, or making food on the barbecue when there is plenty of food in the fridge or while someone else is cooking.

Worse than that, Sims often take autonomous actions that give them bad moodlets, or worse. I have a household with vampires and humans. The humans keep prioritizing the plasmafruit salad instead of normal food, then getting sick from it. Meanwhile, if I don't keep an eye, my vampires love to go out for a swim in the bright noon daylight. I've had to reset my game a couple times because one vampire decided, while I was focusing on other sims, to swim all the way to the end of the island in Sulani and couldn't make it back in time before burning.

I don't want an actual learning AI. I just want actions that make sense to keep them alive and to avoid wasting time on pathing, and gameplay/autonomy that reflects the choices I made while setting their traits and during interactions. I still enjoy Sims 4, so long as I micro-manage everything, but I can't do anything about the pathing issues, and there are times, in bigger families, when I wish I could let some sims take care of themselves.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Smarter
    It's not just about being "smarter" or improved AI, but it's also about sims acting and reacting according to their individual personalities. Here is the one great area I believe TS2 spoiled me....
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Smarter
    Yeah, smarter would be nice. I don't want my sims to use the grill for breakfast or eat outside in freezing temps because there's a bench out there. I don't want to direct a sim to start making a nice big breakfast only for someone else to come over and start making a salad. Or when they're done watching TV, they turn it off even though 3 other people were watching. Or try to mop puddles outside while it's still raining.

But also, like what a few people have already said, sims acting to their personalities would be nice. They all react the same way to situations regardless of traits. Why is my lazy sim autonomously doing the laundry?

Or act to their age. Should my teen sims always attend to their baby siblings before their parents? Should children be doing the dishes? Of course they can. But all the time?

I saw some people say that making them smarter would take away from the game, but wasn't it TS3 that had different levels of Free Will? That might be cool.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Smarter
    @BreeNilla Bienchen’s Less Auto Cleaning For Minors mod could help with the dish situation. https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/autonomie-mods-autonomy-mods/
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Smarter
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    It's not just about being "smarter" or improved AI, but it's also about sims acting and reacting according to their individual personalities. Here is the one great area I believe TS2 spoiled me....

so true...

It was because each sim had layers to their personality. They started with their lifetime goal and basic personality such as lazy or active, outgoing or shy etc. Then they had fears based on those things. Then you moved on to their attractiveness preference, do they like sims with a certain color hair, glasses, hats etc. Then you had what they liked to talk about(interests)which could be changed by reading magazines. So while they might like the sim in the hat if they did not have interests in common, it lowered their lightning bolts. Memories was that final glorious part of their personality. It was nice to see them remember certain events that upset them every now and then.

All the layers worked together creating their reactions. If Sims A was talking to Sim B about something Sim B did not like, the relationship took a hit. Fighting left sims FURIOUS for days and they couldn't even speak to each other without fighting again. Caught cheating was SERIOUS in that game. The fighting went on so long...If one of my sims was having an affair, I worked hard so they didn't get caught...LOL Now who cares, I can have them back together in minutes even if they have the angry moodlet still. I believe moodlets have cheapened the game since sims 3 but at least in sim 3 there was still a reaction to things happening. In sims 4, we get a moodlet and they are stuck in one of the 9 emotional states.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Smarter
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    @BreeNilla Bienchen’s Less Auto Cleaning For Minors mod could help with the dish situation. https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/autonomie-mods-autonomy-mods/
    Yeah, I have it, thank you! XD. But wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to use a mod to fix some of these things?
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Smarter
    Smarter! PLEASE. More autonomous and quirky with the option to turn off autonomy (which is an option already) for those who like them to be mere puppets. And some way for personality and experiences to matter, rather than just whatever moodlet and environmental object is controlling them that second. And those vapid smiles on their faces all the time...what happened to being neutral unless there's a reason to be happy?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Now is smart enough
    So it seems I am in minority thinking this is smart enough. The way I see it, I would have a problem with more selfsufficient Sims, more indipendent with there own needs and wants, then who am I to tell them what to do. It would be interesting what they would be up to, but to force them into a dictatorship no way!
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Smarter
    They need to be smart enough to take care of their needs properly being in the red tired does not mean nap on the couch, it means going to bed for 8ish hours. Instead of cooking new or grabbing a quick meal, get leftovers. If both bladder and hygiene are in the red, take care of them in the correct order (instead of peeing yourself and having to take 2 showers). Fun need should cater to skills, not automatically gravitate to electronics. My painters should find painting fun and my sims with high fitness should find workouts fun as examples. Right now it appears the sims are a bunch of tech obsessed mindless vessels.
    Now is smart enough
    They need to be smart enough to take care of their needs properly being in the red tired does not mean nap on the couch, it means going to bed for 8ish hours. Instead of cooking new or grabbing a quick meal, get leftovers. If both bladder and hygiene are in the red, take care of them in the correct order (instead of peeing yourself and having to take 2 showers). Fun need should cater to skills, not automatically gravitate to electronics. My painters should find painting fun and my sims with high fitness should find workouts fun as examples. Right now it appears the sims are a bunch of tech obsessed mindless vessels.
    Well Sims do like to nap, one of my Sims in the political career got elected promising more napable places!

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Smarter
    And also, unpredictable.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Smarter
    I'd like the Sims to be smart enough to feel like actual virtual people and not virtual dolls.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    I expect I woulöd feel like an intruder or an peeping tom when they performed intimate options for example like woo hoo. Even today I prefer not to look in when they woo hoo,

I watch all Woohoo sessions.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,807 Member
    Now is smart enough
    I find it pretty relatable that sims don't always feel like taking the action that is actually best for them.
    I would like for a couple of specific behaviors to be re-tuned, as mentioned above: washing dishes in bathroom, and the check toddler/highchair problems.
    gen3-banner.png
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Smarter
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'd like to see traits play a part in the decisions that sims make.

I see squeamish sims pick up dog poop, love outdoors sims stay inside, lazy sims doing chores, loner sims converse with strangers, evil sims being friendly and popular, the list goes on.

Evil and friendly are two SEPARATE things. But other than that, you DO have a good point. Even though "The Sims 4" game is easy to play, sims should use the bathroom if they need to go, bladder-speaking. All the sims from "The Sims 4" know to go to sleep if they need to, but the sims need to take care of their other needs too.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Smarter
    EliteGirl wrote: »

I see squeamish sims pick up dog poop, love outdoors sims stay inside, lazy sims doing chores, loner sims converse with strangers, evil sims being friendly and popular, the list goes on.

Evil and friendly are two SEPARATE things. But other than that, you DO have a good point. Even though "The Sims 4" game is easy to play, sims should use the bathroom if they need to go, bladder-speaking. All the sims from "The Sims 4" know to go to sleep if they need to, but the sims need to take care of their other needs too.

You can be both evil and friendly, Lex Luthor is a perfect example of that trait combination.
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2020
    Smarter
    Smarter would be great. I seems like the Launch trailer had lie to us.
    Post edited by motdk on
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Smarter
    Kaylen34 wrote: »
    I think I hit yes by mistake.

It depends on what you mean by smarter. If you mean smarter as in adding new skills for sims to learn, No. As it is, I would love to stop my sims from learning comedy and mischief skills. All of my sims maxing out almost all skills is boring and unrealistic. I want my sims to be individuals and I would like to be able to choose what skills they learn and when.

If you mean smarter as in more autonomous, No. what's the point in the game if the sims do everything themselves.

If you mean Smarter as in having the common sense to not stand in a fire, tamper with electronics, or cook without appropriate skills, Yes.

It all depends on what you mean by smarter.

That brings to my mind an interesting idea. What if there was a skill cap on how many different skills your sim could learn? I did a bit of research and there are about 30+ skills our sims could learn and I think you're right: it is unrealistic that they would be able to learn them all. Though there were no limitations before, it might be good for gameplay if a sim couldn't learn everything but put a cap on it of say 10 or so after that if you want to learn something else you have to give up skills to learn a new one.

I hope they never limit how many skills a Sim can have. People (in real life) can be skilled in many things (especially if they have a long life time.) It's called being a "polymath." I know many people who are polymaths (as am I.) Certainly it isn't common, but it *is* realistic!

Also, having more skills to work on makes the game more interesting.

Certainly, if you don't want your Sim to have multiple skills that they do, that's fine. But please don't try to limit my Sims' opportunities.
    edited December 2020
    Smarter
    EliteGirl wrote: »

You can be both evil and friendly, Lex Luthor is a perfect example of that trait combination.

The so called "evil/friendly" combination is being two-faced and insincere as well as fake, NOT evil and friendly at once. The so called "evil/friendly" which is really two-faced and insincere reminds me of Regina George from "Mean Girls". No offense, but Lex Luthor is described as "a brilliant genius" and "egotistical", as well as a "sociopath". Here's evidence about Lex Luthor being described as "a brilliant genius" and "egotistical", as well as a "sociopath": https://dccomics.com/characters/lex-luthor
    edited December 2020
    Smarter
    Now if you were talking about the "evil/genius" combination, now THAT'S realistic, because there are evil people in the world that are really smart.
  • SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    edited December 2020
    This is a hard question for me so I didn't vote.
    I see times where my Sims are very smart, and times when they are too smart, and not smart enough.
    I don't want them to be human, and there needs to be a place for a player.
    If they were very smart doing things autonomously they wouldn't need a player telling them what to do.

They learn after being told to do the same thing a few times, like cleaning up after they eat.
    They've taught me things like writing in the journal. I knew it was always available but had never used it until one
    of them got a whim to write in one, and I saw the benefits of it, his mood changed.
    I used it on another Sim who came home from work embarassed and it helped them get past it so they could move on.
    The times I feel they're not smart enough have to do with my expectations of them according to my personality.
    Things like if you are in the yellow on the bladder please go to the bathroom before you sit down at the computer for fun.

Times when they're too smart to me are things like they automatically know when a Sim is in their world,
    what's in a home from just standing in one spot, where a Sim is going to be, so they go there.
    Walking by a ( new to the player ) Sims home, because they already know each other and want in on that Sims world in this game.
    They're trying to get noticed, or even those who are not trying to get noticed are keeping an eye out.
    If the player acknowledges them, and they become friends with the players Sim, they use that as access to the home.
    It just happened to me recently, my Sim went to a popular hang out spot and I clicked friendly introduction on one Sim I never saw in any of my games before. My Sim gave the friendly introduction and a few days later the Sim was at my Sims
    home. I selected goodbye in the interactions after they talked a bit and after they said goodbye, he came in the house. :p

He already knew that Sim and my Sim already knew him from other games.

Another time with a Sim I thought was a new Sim, newly created, something like that happened.
    It was the Sims 1st day in town, and one of the Sim regulars at the gym was at her house shoveling snow drifts in her yard.
    He wanted to meet her I'm thinking, and so I clicked for her to come out and friendly introduction. She did and their friendship soared very quickly. They're smart Sims and they remember.

Idk what is being done with their memories of past relationships in other games, but they should be purged.

edit: I'd like my Sims to be smart enough that when they call someone over to dance, they're dancing together facing each other, not side by side and the same thing with water balloon fights, facing each other, not side by side, and when they're drinking orange juice, or milk, they would go sit down to drink it or stand in front of the dishwasher or sink, not the fridge.
    I'd like them to be smart enough to not bring their bicycle inside. I haven't played University yet, only because I bought some packs and are only exploring them now, but I've seen how they bring the bikes into the dorms, but these are not University students.
    Or maybe one day we will have a ride your bike all through the house day :D
  • SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    Smarter! PLEASE. More autonomous and quirky with the option to turn off autonomy (which is an option already) for those who like them to be mere puppets. And some way for personality and experiences to matter, rather than just whatever moodlet and environmental object is controlling them that second. And those vapid smiles on their faces all the time...what happened to being neutral unless there's a reason to be happy?

They have the new thing sentiments and I love it. It works to make their experiences matter.
    Since they've added it, I've taken my Sim on 2 dates and looked at the sentiments and as they got to know each other better
    their sentiments improved. Its a great tool to see if they like each other.
    I usually leave free will on and leave them alone to choose to do what they want and most of the time they take care of their needs themselves, not in the same order I would have chosen, but they do it.
    Then they do things like wait until they're in the red on the bladder and have an accident :facepalm: :#
    Now is smart enough
    Well the more interesting things seem to happen when you leave Sims to do their own thing, yesterday I had a sad Sim playing blic-bloc it looked hilarious, moving those blocks so slowly, standing straight up. I tried to get it recorded but just as the recording started she ofcourse left the game-DARN!