Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the weather like where you are?

Comments

• February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    @sunman502 I've heard all about the horrors of desert temperatures in California - am I correct in my vague idea that the Death Valley holds the world record for highest temperature?? And yes, 48 is pretty rare here, except not unheard of in places like central Australia (such as Oodnadatta in South Australia as mentioned above by Movotti).

I'm in the Adelaide region of South Australia, so our upper extremes are up to 45/46, but that's not particularly common.

I was flicking through youtube channels last night and was watching a video from Arizona. I knew that Arizona was very arid, but I did not realise how mountainous it was - this guy drove up into the hills to take his dogs to the snow that had just fallen. And it was no small amount of snow either, it was piled high. It just seemed kinda crazy. :)

There is a bit of a notion that "talking about the weather" is pretty boring, but it's actually a fascinating thing. Especially right now, and not always for good reasons obviously.
    Yup, with all the extremes we're having.
    It's a bit cooler here today, but the sun and heat has given way to overcast and humid. It's only 22c today, but feels a lot hotter.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • AlpineCuriosityAlpineCuriosity Posts: 2,521 Member
    😍 It’s snowing!! ❄️❄️❄️
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    @sunman502 I've heard all about the horrors of desert temperatures in California - am I correct in my vague idea that the Death Valley holds the world record for highest temperature?? And yes, 48 is pretty rare here, except not unheard of in places like central Australia (such as Oodnadatta in South Australia as mentioned above by Movotti).

I'm in the Adelaide region of South Australia, so our upper extremes are up to 45/46, but that's not particularly common.

I was flicking through youtube channels last night and was watching a video from Arizona. I knew that Arizona was very arid, but I did not realise how mountainous it was - this guy drove up into the hills to take his dogs to the snow that had just fallen. And it was no small amount of snow either, it was piled high. It just seemed kinda crazy. :)

There is a bit of a notion that "talking about the weather" is pretty boring, but it's actually a fascinating thing. Especially right now, and not always for good reasons obviously.
    You are correct Death Valley does hold the world record for the highest temperature. It's one of 2 reason why Death Valley is the hottest place in the world. It has to do with the fact that Death Valley sits between 2 very high mountain ranges. Those mountain ranges block the breezes from reaching the valley floor. Which is why it's so hot there. The other reason is that Death Valley is in the middle of the desert Southwest.
    😍 It’s snowing!! ❄️❄️❄️

Well that's relevant to your username. :)
    Very clever, love it!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Late afternoon/early evening and it's still 36C

I took the wheelies out for bin night, and thought I'd left the ac on. But no, I came back in and melted. :(
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    It's been so interesting to read about what it's like where you live - thank you all so much for sharing! After lurking for some time, I guess I can jump in, too. :)

Over here, it's almost lunchtime and grey and rainy. :unamused: But when you're inside, all warm and cozy (I love my hot water bottle!), it's not too bad. :wink:
    EA_Leeloo wrote: »
    It's been so interesting to read about what it's like where you live - thank you all so much for sharing! After lurking for some time, I guess I can jump in, too. :)

Over here, it's almost lunchtime and grey and rainy. :unamused: But when you're inside, all warm and cozy (I love my hot water bottle!), it's not too bad. :wink:

I must admit I love winter bedtime weather when I can get right under the covers. At the moment now it's not even just one leg out, it's all covers off, fans on. We don't have air con, so it's Sweat City!
    29c today and that wind still hasn't dropped. There are leaves and petals all over the garden which we swept up the day before :|
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Dim and snowing. It's light snow but it is sticking and it has been cold between 26-35 degrees the last week.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    Cold and rainy - BOO!
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
    It's currently 31 degrees and partly cloudy here.
    Looking at the bureau of meteorology big storms are on their way. In fact, the weather man just announced it. Batten down the hatches!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    We're under a Chinook so it's nice... for Nov/Dec. Apparently it got up to like 7c today though I stayed inside all day anyway so I didn't get to enjoy it. Tomorrow is only 2c and the day I plan to go out lol. Still now horrible though, above 0 right now is fantastic.
    Calm, sunny, tending towards the cooler side (in my book). Forecast for low 20s C.

After last night's crazy winds it's a nice change.
    Crazy winds hu? Where I currently live, the winds can be so strong that they will peel a metal roof back as if someone were peeling a banana. That's if the metal roof isn't properly secure. And the thing is I don't live any where near the water. There are no oceans or seas where I live. Just some small lakes, rivers and streams. And I still see hurricane force winds where I live.
    @sunman502 Our winds were nothing like that. Although my clothesline (with all my clean bed linen on it!) blew over sideways and landed in the dirt in my garden, that was a bit annoying. :D Adelaide doesn't get hurricanes, thankfully, generally speaking they don't occur at the southern end of the country at all. North, on the other hand.....
    Ours is from time to time. Have you ever seen those giant trampolines that people would some times have in their back yards. Well the people that use to live next door to me use to have one. That's until hurricane force winds picked it up one summer night and dropped in my backyard. And they lived nearly a quarter of a mile from me. The winds here can trip a fully loaded semi on it's side. The winds have even been known to trip a train on it's side here. Trains being blown over on their sides here are extremely rare, but it does happen on occasion. The winds I speak of, we call them straight line winds here. And they are known to rip metal structures to shreds.
    The rarest thing I ever heard about here was my parents' smallish, steel garden shed blowing away! I don't think they even know where it ended up. That is extremely unusual though.

Having said that, we did have one hell of a storm a year or two ago where the wind tipped over a parked truck (and I'm talking a semi, not just a small truck!). I guess the height of such a vehicle works against it in that kind of scenario. I don't recall if he had any trailers on at the time.
    It does, the higher the vehicle sits the higher the chances of it being tip over by high winds. About 2 or 3 years ago we had a tornado come through here. It blew away 2 house, 2 barns, flatten a large grove of tall trees, brought down one of those transmission towers that's used to move electricity from one power company to another. One of the barns on a farm just west of me, half of it was shredded by another tornado a few years back. And this was no small metal barn neither. So we have both straight line and tornadic winds here. And both will do some major damage. Tornadic winds are basically the same as hurricane force.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    'And the wind did howl and the wind did blow'
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    That made me laugh picturing him on a warm beach.
    'And the wind did howl and the wind did blow'

And Nick Cave did sing.

Nick wouldn't fit very comfortably in the day we have here today. It's bright and sunny and warm, and we've just come back from a walk along the beach.
    Am I correct in assuming that Nick Cave is a real place? Well we too have some cave here in the US where you can hear the winds coming from them.