Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 has less advanced genetics than previous Sims games?

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    My sister has a lot of in game births and she's always sending pictures of how the kids look and they are on point. They always look like their parents. She's not a legacy player or anything so I don't know if they can take after their grandparents or other family members.

@Babykittyjade Sure but the thing is the genetics have regressed. The question is why did they have to regress even though the game is so much newer?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited December 2020
    netney52 wrote: »
    Actually I disagree with this I see a lot of strong genetics in sims 4 and not much difference to sims 3. Certainly my goth household legacies I can see a lot of Cassandra and Alexander in their respective offspring families both grandchildren and yet to fully see great grandchildren. Sims 4 has its faults but genetics isn’t one of them. Now family links on family trees and in cas yes but not genetics. However I will admit pretty much all of pleasantsims opinions I disagree with so I don’t watch her videos anymore. I don’t hate her or anything my opinion of the game is just very different from hers and I get very little from watching her videos so I rarely watch them.

While I loved the dominant/recessive aspects of the Sims 2, I don't think the genetics in Sims 4 have gotten overall worse. True, it would be great if there were dominant/recessive hair colors and eye colors in Sims 4. The Sims 2 "surprise" of recessive genes from grandparents were neat.

But in other ways, the Sims 4 genetics work really well. Most of the children in my game -- facial-structure and body type-wise, do legitimately match the parents. Including body shape and the propensity toward weight gain. This was not present at all in Sims 2. I have been playing a legacy that is now in the 7th generation, and I use MCCC to have the NPC population continue to reproduce. I can always tell the Straud family descendents even after all these generations :wink:
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @netney52 If you'd like, you can download the game from a third-party website and play around with the genetics. I got my copy of the game from OldGamesDownload.com.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    My sister has a lot of in game births and she's always sending pictures of how the kids look and they are on point. They always look like their parents. She's not a legacy player or anything so I don't know if they can take after their grandparents or other family members.

@Babykittyjade Sure but the thing is the genetics have regressed. The question is why did they have to regress even though the game is so much newer?

I think we all know the answer? The whole failed online game engine thing? If it has indeed regressed I can only imagine the devs didn't have much time to throw everything together the way it should have been.. Hence the missing stuff during launch. And why it has taken longer for this iteration to catch up. But either way I'm happy with the current genetics.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    I played sims 2 for years, and I never really caught the gene thing. However, most of my Sims in sims 2 had recessive genes, especially the eye colors. I had two families, one was a single mother with black hair and green eyes, and made all her children share her color. I created another family, where the father had black hair and green eyes, and the mother had brown and blue eyes. I made their first children mini versions of them, so their first son shared his dad's color. He married the daughter from the single mother household, so the granddaughter shared the black hair and green eyes. The single mother's son married another sim I created that was dark skinned, and their child did get black hair from both of them, and her mother's brown eyes. She was lighter than her mother and about one shade darker than her father.
    I kind of passed on the Sims 3, I did get some packs, but not all of them. I created some families, and had some good combinations, but I didn't play enough to see how it would effect the next generations.
    With Sims 4, I think my biggest issue is how the game mixes a muscular man with a petite woman. Some of the kids look really off when getting the right look for them. I recreated the black haired man with green eyes, and the woman with brown hair and blue eyes from my Sims 2 game into Sims 4. Both parents are a bit slimmer, so I thought they would mix better, but I got body structures that didn't really make sense for them. Other times, I got too many clones, I know making a kid they would look like their parents, but some literally look like a single parent, except the hairstyle. I like having a slight variation between parents so that the kid down't look like only one parent had them.
    I am sure if Sims 2 had the technology of Sims 4, there would be more variations wit the genetics.
    I do like watching Pleasant Sims, and I agree with some points, but I don't feel that Sims 4 is completely lacking in genetics. I've got some pretty good mixtures.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think what bothers me a lot is a lot of the genetics of the Sims 4 premades that were taken from Sims 2 premades are all messed up too. Sims 2 did have a fun genetic system and with supernaturals and mods hybrid Sims were possible too. I made a Sim a witch, werewolf, alien, zombie, alien, plantSim, and vampire in the Sims 2. I was really hoping the Sims 4 when it first came out to make hybrid Sims possible legit, but my idea got turned down sadly in the beginning before the pack releases.

I do love being able to have different forms for supernaturals and being able to make twins in CAS.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    I'll take Sims 4 genetics over Sims 3 any day. I have noticed that there are no dominant or recessive genes, but I love that I can clearly see the parents' features in the kids' faces (dad's mouth, mom's facial structure etc). I also love that the kids can inherit any skin color between the parents' and I think the same thing must go for eye color too. I think this video was just clickbait - they knew they could get tons of people watching by criticizing Sims 4 in some way because that seems to be everyone's favorite past time these days when they're not actually playing the game in spite of how awful it is (allegedly).
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I think genetics are kind of interesting in this game. The first time a Sim had children in my game, they were non-identical twins.
    The parents were: a male with red hair and brown eyes, and a female with red hair and blue eyes. The children were: a female with red hair and brown eyes, and a male with black hair and blue eyes. Kind of strange but interesting.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    When I was still having ablast with Sims 4 back then, the genetic is one of the first thing i noticed, it's pretty difficulty to get a good looking sims, they were good when they were still a child but when they aged up to teen they have hideous looking face. An attractive parents != attractive children

I have this issue in CaS too, I want to create a certain look for a child sim to have when they're a teen/adult (due to story reasons), so what I end up doing, when starting directly form CaS is after creating the parents I use "genetics" get the rough "base" of what I want, then I edit them as a young adult to how I want them to be, before ageing them down to a child before rendering the game. I find this works at least 90% of the time.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    What I liked about the genetics in sims 2 was that we could actually check them. There was a cheat to show what genes a sim has. I miss that option.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Actually I disagree with this I see a lot of strong genetics in sims 4 and not much difference to sims 3. Certainly my goth household legacies I can see a lot of Cassandra and Alexander in their respective offspring families both grandchildren and yet to fully see great grandchildren. Sims 4 has its faults but genetics isn’t one of them. Now family links on family trees and in cas yes but not genetics. However I will admit pretty much all of pleasantsims opinions I disagree with so I don’t watch her videos anymore. I don’t hate her or anything my opinion of the game is just very different from hers and I get very little from watching her videos so I rarely watch them.

The thing is, Sims 4 (and 3 if I remember correctly) don't really has genetics. Because sims carry no genes. I agree that Sims 4 has a quite good inheritance system — kids can be a nice mix of their parents and you can see what they got from what parent.
    But game doesn't even recognize a natural hair color of a sim. Okay, no recessive genes and zygosity, but I hate that children of a dark-haired sim who dyed his hair blonde can turn out blonde too.

However, I'm not hating the Sims 4. I really really like how sims look, I just wish there was more thought put in it. With genetics system I would probably be motivated enough to keep a legacy going, and yeah I'm a nerd in that sense 😅
    When I was still having ablast with Sims 4 back then, the genetic is one of the first thing i noticed, it's pretty difficulty to get a good looking sims, they were good when they were still a child but when they aged up to teen they have hideous looking face. An attractive parents != attractive children

I have this issue in CaS too, I want to create a certain look for a child sim to have when they're a teen/adult (due to story reasons), so what I end up doing, when starting directly form CaS is after creating the parents I use "genetics" get the rough "base" of what I want, then I edit them as a young adult to how I want them to be, before ageing them down to a child before rendering the game. I find this works at least 90% of the time.

Love this idea 💛
    edited December 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I think genetics are kind of interesting in this game. The first time a Sim had children in my game, they were non-identical twins.
    The parents were: a male with red hair and brown eyes, and a female with red hair and blue eyes. The children were: a female with red hair and brown eyes, and a male with black hair and blue eyes. Kind of strange but interesting.

Omg I would hate that. One of my special interests is genetics and I like realism. This would be an impossible combination IRL unless the mother cheated.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I know this is about genetics but watching that video and seeing ts3 sims and their potatoe faces makes me not miss playing ts3. It also makes me realise how important cc skins were for me in ts3.
    Pegasys wrote: »

While I loved the dominant/recessive aspects of the Sims 2, I don't think the genetics in Sims 4 have gotten overall worse. True, it would be great if there were dominant/recessive hair colors and eye colors in Sims 4. The Sims 2 "surprise" of recessive genes from grandparents were neat.

But in other ways, the Sims 4 genetics work really well. Most of the children in my game -- facial-structure and body type-wise, do legitimately match the parents. Including body shape and the propensity toward weight gain. This was not present at all in Sims 2. I have been playing a legacy that is now in the 7th generation, and I use MCCC to have the NPC population continue to reproduce. I can always tell the Straud family descendents even after all these generations :wink:

@Pegasys the offsprings in the Sims 2 absolutely look like their parents. They have their parents facial features. What do you mean they don't have them. Of course they do.
    And the reason why the body weight was not inherited was because there were almost none body weight option in the game it self. So yeah I don't get your comment.
    I'll take Sims 4 genetics over Sims 3 any day. I have noticed that there are no dominant or recessive genes, but I love that I can clearly see the parents' features in the kids' faces (dad's mouth, mom's facial structure etc). I also love that the kids can inherit any skin color between the parents' and I think the same thing must go for eye color too. I think this video was just clickbait - they knew they could get tons of people watching by criticizing Sims 4 in some way because that seems to be everyone's favorite past time these days when they're not actually playing the game in spite of how awful it is (allegedly).

@TheSpotted_C Sorry but I have to disagree. PleasantSimd actually sat there and analyzed the whole genetics systems and even gave examples.
    The things she says you can see happening right in front of your eyes.

Also you can actually see the parents facial features in their children in the Sims 2 and 3 as well. Who says you couldn't.
    Also the Sims 3 had mixed skin tones for parents with different skins. Not just the Sims 4.

If you think the video is click bait for likes, I think your comment is also click bait for likes since people in this forum will like anything that defends their favorite game without fact checking.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I've played all four sims games and the sims 2 has by far the best genetics. The game actually remembers if they are born with a certain hair color. I wish the genetics worked better in the sims 4 where it has recessive and dominant genes and the game passes these genetics down through the generations but not with just eye color, but with beauty marks, teeth, and so on. There is so much they could improve upon.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    edited December 2020
    By your responses it sounds more like you just created this thread for everyone to bash ts4 genetics and praise ts2 superiority although we already know ts2 is well known for certain details. Anyway. I think genetics is awesome in ts4 but this thread is not for me. Peace out 😎
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @netney52 I noticed that you failed to mention The Sims 2. Have you ever played it, even just to try it out?

I have and I could share a few videos about how bad the genetics are which it did have a lot of issues
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited December 2020
    I've played all four sims games and the sims 2 has by far the best genetics. The game actually remembers if they are born with a certain hair color. I wish the genetics worked better in the sims 4 where it has recessive and dominant genes and the game passes these genetics down through the generations but not with just eye color, but with beauty marks, teeth, and so on. There is so much they could improve upon.

I agree that genetics for recessive and dominate genes would be nice as long as there is a chance for your child to have an eye/hair color neither parents gene's carry mostly because I did take note of her comment that after playing several generations dominate features take over and that doesn't sit well with me cause I like seeing sims eith varying hair/eye colors

I do wonder how ts4 would handle genetics. In ts2 there was only 4 hair colors but ts4 has 3 brunette, 3 red, and 3 blonde. For colors of the same tone family I can see it working on scale like skins. If you mom is deep red but your dad is orange then the child can be any 3 of the red colors but if the mom is deep red but that dad is auburn then the child can only be one of those. For tone vs tone they could make brunette dominate again would all the reds and blondes be recessive, or would one be dominate over the other? Another thing would be if the dad has black hair but the mom has the dirty blonde hair why would the kid have black hair wouldn't make more sense that the kid's hair would be dark brown or chestnut since the mom's blonde hair would genetically cause the child's hair to be lighter then the dad's black? Especially since hair color and all physical traits aren't a simple 1v1 of what is dominate, it's a more complex system with multiple genes at play just for one physical attribute.

The argument could be made the reason sims in ts3 didn't have res, and dom genes is because the fact that you had a color wheel so hair/eyes could be anything so working out genes for that would be difficult. Ts4 doesn't have a color wheel but there's 12 color options for hair not including unnatural colors that would all need to have a genetic hierarchy worked out. Possible? Yes but I don't quite know how it would fully work out to be.
    Post edited by VentusMatt on
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @netney52 I noticed that you failed to mention The Sims 2. Have you ever played it, even just to try it out?

I have and I could share a few videos about how bad the genetics are which it did have a lot of issues

Are you referring to first-born syndrome? That can be easily fixed by rolling the pacifier.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2020
    I actually had a genetic glitch that happened with my Smurf family in the EA Family Play thread. There were all supposed to be blue skinned and I was going to fill the world with them. But the genetics didn't pass on with smurf Sims then and this family dates back to about January of 2015 of how old the bug is which I complained about and they fixed.
    01-19-15-2-04-PM.png
    04-17-15-10-36-PM.png

They are actually my favorite family I've made in the Sims 4 and I adore Sassette and Smoogle Smurf and all the children are named after Smurf characters.
    05-13-17-6-51-38-PM.png

Their children who are cousins:
    05-13-17-7-07-36-PM.png
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Not sure whether you really played Sims 3 or just comparing the game without playing the game that you used as a comparison.

My Sims always has facial features of their parents. See for yourself

rgn2y6xqfrl5jcv4g.jpg
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

It's what I do mostly and none of my Sims' offspring have the original face that they have when they were born, I have to edit them in Cas to modify the hideous part. I much prefer them having a look that Idont need to modify but not necessarily have to be hideous. I think some premade sims 4 Sims have strong genes that no matter what their kid mostly look ok like Holly Vinedal the girl with cowboy hat and boots.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    By your responses it sounds more like you just created this thread for everyone to bash ts4 genetics and praise ts2 superiority although we already know ts2 is well known for certain details. Anyway. I think genetics is awesome in ts4 but this thread is not for me. Peace out 😎

@Babykittyjade No, I created this thread to discuss possible reasons for why the genetics have regressed in the Sims 4 instead of evolving which is what you'd expect from the fourth installment in the franchise. I didn't create it to ask you if you're fine with the Sims 4 genetics or not. I mean you can still share that but that is not what the thread was intented for.
    I'm sorry you misunderstood.