Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any native English speakers play The Sims 4 in another language?

The thought just crossed my mind to play The Sims 4 in Spanish because I've been wanting to really learn the language for a while now. I know a little here and there but I am nowhere near fluent. Has anyone used the game to teach them a language or to practice another language? I'm curious if it could even work.

Comments

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I'm semi fluent. I've played it in Spanish just so my spouse would catch on because he is fluent in Spanish. I play the game in Dutch and semi in Japanese. I'm trying to learn more Japanese so the game does help me In Japanese.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I learn English from video game since I was 6, I think it works for any languages.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I used to install the original Sims 1 in Spanish, because it was a quick thing and I was curious. I took Spanish in high school and keep it from dying completely with DuoLingo.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The thought just crossed my mind to play The Sims 4 in Spanish because I've been wanting to really learn the language for a while now. I know a little here and there but I am nowhere near fluent. Has anyone used the game to teach them a language or to practice another language? I'm curious if it could even work.

I don't think it would be a problem. Just switch and try it. I don't think I've tried switching the language for the Sims 4 text but I did notice some weird/inconvenient keyboard stuff in game when accidentally typing in languages that don't use ABCs.

I've played other games in other languages and it's totally helped. As long as you're at a level where it's not an annoyance, it should be fine/still the same fun.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    haneul wrote: »

I don't think it would be a problem. Just switch and try it. I don't think I've tried switching the language for the Sims 4 text but I did notice some weird/inconvenient keyboard stuff in game when accidentally typing in languages that don't use ABCs.

I've played other games in other languages and it's totally helped. As long as you're at a level where it's not an annoyance, it should be fine/still the same fun.

Hmm, that reminds me... I wonder are the cheats still the same?
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    haneul wrote: »

Hmm, that reminds me... I wonder are the cheats still the same?

They are (I just googled sims 4 cheats in a different language and they gave the English cheats).
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Give it a go :) I play in english instead of finnish because then it's easier to participate conversations online, knowing the right terms etc. What I should really try is playing in swedish though. My swedish is so rusty, wonder if I could make it haha.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    idk i do the opposite and play in english as non english speaker because i feel like the item descriptions etc are not the same in translation and i love reading those
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    I do play in English although I am pt-BR native speaker. Back on Sims 2/3 times, I used to compare Sims names and translations between pt-PT, pt-BR and English xd

There's amazing jewels as KTHXBYE drink translated "Bjosmeliga" (kisses, call me), an "equivalent" Brazilian slang 🙃
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Could be fun. There's just two things to keep in mind:

You'll be reading translations rather than text written originally in the language you're trying to learn, so there'll be a lot of "equivalent" slang that's not necessarily how people really talk there, as opposed to when you watch or read things originally conceived in that language. Especially because there's all these restrictions with localization, so it's not like translators are allowed to go all out and always say things as they would actually say them (on top of having things people in the target language wouldn't even say just because it's not a "thing" in that culture, ya know?)

I think TS4 is only Spanish from Spain, so just be aware of that in case you've been learning a different dialect. I used to play Sims 1 in Spanish 'cause I wasn't fluent in English, but that Spanish was often harder for me to understand lol