Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rotational Play Ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas for a rotational save? I want to make one with preset relationships between the household and have institutions run by played sims, such as a boarding school or an orphanage. I like historical gameplay and family play, but a modern game could be fun too (and would require less CC).

1. How many households should I have?
2. Should I start with single young adults, couples, families, or a mix?
3. Which worlds should I use?
4. Which time period (if applicable)?

I’ve also been considering playing a fantasy save with spell casters or aliens and developing their culture and society, but idk for sure because I don’t play occults much.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited November 2020
    I have over 20 families ( probably a few too many.... lol. I like different sized families and roommates. I play with aging turned off most of the time. 1). An elderly grand mother ( an art critic, who will soon be knitting for plopsy too.) and child granddaughter, 2) a 3 generational family...2 sets of grandparents, one set of grandparents own the home a doctor, and his wife a violinist, mother, father ( computer techie), child and teen, I just recently had one set of grandparents move out to their own little home. He is a part time fisherman and fishes on his off time in Sulani with a boat, she beach combs, gardens and sells stuff. 3) I have a male YA painter with a baby son with an ex girlfriend. 4) his ex girlfriend is going to become a mistress to an elder man with older kids 4) I have a family with a male elder father, a young adult son an adult daughter with a male teenager, the two men are journalist, with separate paths, the daughter has done a couple different jobs. The YA son is going to go to silverdorado to learn and write some books or articles on his adventures, the teen just likes to party with friends. 5) I have photographer who lives on a yacht and has a photography studio. He and my painter visit different places to paint different landscapes and take photographs to sell. 6) my simself is a single sim who is a collector and gardens, owns a business, she has her hand in a little of everything, including archeology. 7) I have an active YA couple, the guy is a Pro baseball player, and his girlfriend is into the social media profession. 8) I have an Astronaut with a wife who is a housewife with a toddler little girl. 9) I have a sims who plays the guitar mostly and is seeking fame. 10) a military person who became my hero of strangerville ( not too well off though)......that is just a few of my families.... all with different jobs, live in various towns, belong to different clubs, enjoy different past times, and many interact and have become friends with the others.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @SheriSim57 It seems that you play very differently from me. The no aging immediately stuck out to me because I like to play generations of sims with everyone after generation 1 being born in-game. Are any of your sims born in-game or did you make all of them in CAS? Did you choose their stories beforehand or did the stories develop as you played?
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited November 2020
    They kind of grew into their stories. I have been playing the same sims since 2014, i do have some that were born in game. With each new expansion, and some game packs it seems I add a family. I do play some premade sims too, I moved the goths and their house to Forgotten Hollow and Mortimer is a politician. I have played the sims since the sims 1, though I didn’t play sims 3 long, I hated the rabbit holes it began with, I have tried legacies, but don’t like the restrictions. In sims 2, I started out with one family, but ended up adding families too.... lol I enjoy making my own, each sim has their own soul, if you know what I mean, in sims4 one of my child sims, loves science, he collects frogs and insects, loves his chemistry table. His best friend lives in a richer household ( his grandfafather is a doctor, and he has more in the way of toys, but is less responsible.
    Wow! I could never play like that! The same sims for the entire lifetime of TS4?! Wouldn’t it get boring when they max out their skills and whatnot?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I started my rotational save with 8 families, each with a teen and a child, all living in Newcrest. 8 Seemed like a good number so I could form clubs for teens and children. They’ve grown up, paired off and branched out to other worlds, my goal being to own the best lots everywhere and see how the families intermingle through the generations. Now I play 12 households.

I didn’t really have anybody in mind, I just searched the gallery and made changes wherever I felt like it. I just wanted a diverse group of sims with kids in the right age groups. Some of them are co-workers but most of them have unique careers, I want to reach the top of them all, when the right sims come along.

If I was going to do it all over again, I would start in Pleasant Sims’ save “Pleasantview 25 years later” and those would be some of the families I would play.
    @babajayne I actually tried that save, but I couldn’t get into it because Cindy had played 10 extra years in her Pleasantview LP and I felt weird about doing things that didn’t happen during those 10 years. (For example, I matched Rosa with her canon boyfriend’s older sister by mistake. That made me feel really awkward.)
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I play with 3 households at the moment, I have a family of 4 a child and a teen, normal income, their teen is secretly a witch, a family of 3 they have a toddler, plus cat, there are slightly poorer, living in a trailer home and a vampire family of 5 rich and living in a gothic manor , theres another baby on the way aswell, I played with aging completely on for everyone but it's set too long, obviously my households amount will expand a bit when my sims kids grow up, move out and start a family on there own, I plan for the child in my family of 4 to go to uni and become a scientist, hopefully get abducted by aliens 😂 and have an alien baby , therefore introducing abit of alien in their family tree, I dont play every feature in the game straight away, I currently dont have a rich celebrity sim, that's something that another generation could do, I will eventually get round too everything, go too drama school as a child etc, I will eventually also get round too playing a single sim with roommates when a kid gets old enough too move out 😊, that's the good thing about keeping the aging on, it allows things too change, you can get through all the gameplay, without having lots of families, that way and you can really build their relationships, skills etc
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited December 2020
    Deleted I accidentally double commented 😂
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited December 2020
    I start with one family; A monarch or matriarch depending on how I feel, and once the children age into young adults I send them to their new homes whilst leaving one at the original home as a sort of heir. When I play that house I have aging on for unplayed households and active household only. After 4 sim weeks, I then move to the next house after turning aging off for unplayed sims. They all tend to create their own stories, however. At the moment I have 6 households I play. I do have my favourites and the hardest part I have is to not skip ahead lol
    @Celticgamer0 A monarch? So you enjoy playing royalty? I’ve attempted it several times, but I can’t figure out a good approach without it getting too boring due to the free money.
    I meant monarch in the form of a male founder lol, but I have done a Thru the Ages playthrough once before losing my save. I play a type of revised version of the Legacy challenge at the moment and I use mods to make my games more entertaining. I really enjoyed my Victorian household, but I stayed in one house on that one. If you're not averse to a bit of ill-fortune with your sims I would recommend Life's Tragedies by Sacrificial. You can choose your settings so certain things don't happen, but I am currently experimenting with the mod and it seems fun. As a matter of fact, I have a few of his mods in my folder :smile:
    @Celticgamer0 Oh, so patriarch is the word you’re looking for. Also, Life’s Tragedies is a horrible mod imo. I have PTSD so it’s highly-triggering for me to the point that I don’t watch simmers who use the mod. I hate when bad things happen in my game; I’m one of those people who loves the perfect utopia of The Sims 4 that everyone loves to hate on.
    I’d rather download a virus than that mod!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I play 70-80 households, but only half of them per rotation. I need to control their aging, so I play with aging off, and turn it back on for one night only - New Years Eve :) Rotational play is my favorite because it offers more variety and I get to know most sims pretty well. Always interesting when families are to get merged etc. I have problems with some houses' cash balance changing while I play elsewhere, it's a bummer when you find that the poor household suddenly has §50.000. I keep a spreadsheet with lots of notes, including their finacs. I really don't know what causes it as I hardly have mods. I suspect this changed with a pack or patch.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    I always start with few households, because I know that they will multiply like rabbits (more from me adding new sims than from my sims having kids). I think three would be a good number to start with.

As for what sims they should consist of, how about young adults sharing some common theme? A sports team or military buddies always work for me when I'm out of ideas. Another household could be fugitives from Strangerville who stick out in their oldwest style outfits before settling in. Or from any other Sims 4 world if Strangerville won't fit into your world building.
    The idea is that these YA sims will find partners, then leave the household to found families, but always will have their shared history. If they have their first toddlers, they can arrange playdates with their friends' kids without having to jump through hoops to meet some.

For the world I wouldn't suggest apartments. Reason is, neighbors are more likely to complain when relationships are still low - as they would be in the beginning. So they'd quickly destroy the peace in the apartment building (disregard this if you set up friendships between households before playing). I recommend a world that has streets instead of scattered houses, for the "This week in Simstreet" feeling. Can't go wrong with Foundry Cove, I suppose?

For time period Sims 4 always strikes me as near future. This will allow you to include some subtle sci-fi or occult elements, without having to go overboard. It also would not make cowplants and rocket ships too much out of place.
  • niallsbrowniesniallsbrownies Posts: 32 Member
    You could possibly do something like the Wonder Years. Make a neighborhood full of families with kids/teens. Make all the kids/teens friends and have them try to fall in love with their neighbors as they get older.
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @Celticgamer0 Oh, so patriarch is the word you’re looking for. Also, Life’s Tragedies is a horrible mod imo. I have PTSD so it’s highly-triggering for me to the point that I don’t watch simmers who use the mod. I hate when bad things happen in my game; I’m one of those people who loves the perfect utopia of The Sims 4 that everyone loves to hate on.

Ah. I apologise. I know how it feels, my husband has PTSD and I have anxiety. I didn't mean to upset you. There is nothing wrong with wanting a perfect Utopia in the game. If you have Snowy Escape you could make a family there. I don't have a family there yet, but had one visit and I found it pretty entertaining. I must admit though that I have a love of Japanese inspired culture too so I might be a little bias :lol:
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play with all the premade families in my rotation save. Sometimes I will follow their story how they have been set up by maxis and others I make my own stories and drama. I prefer to play this way rather than create my own sims cause it means the family dynamics are all so different and varied. It’s also nice to get to know all the families that inhabit my game. I do have a couple of my own made families in this save as well.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I let the pre-mades stay in their homes and add my own sims to most of the other houses. I have ageing on for active household only and then play whichever household I feel like at the time.

The plan is to rotate around everyone eventually, in all the worlds, and intermingle their lives with one another.

I try to make sure to use every type of career and trait and aspiration so that each household is different. Some have pets, I have singles, couples, families, grandparents, an orphanage. I play vampires in Forgotten Hollow and spellcasters. I have a single guy in Strangerville who is obsessed with aliens and plan to have him find and marry one. I need to add a mermaid in somewhere at some point, but may do that in the second generation.
    @EnkiSchmidt What is Foundry Cove?
    You could possibly do something like the Wonder Years. Make a neighborhood full of families with kids/teens. Make all the kids/teens friends and have them try to fall in love with their neighbors as they get older.

I love this idea! Thanks!
    I let the pre-mades stay in their homes and add my own sims to most of the other houses. I have ageing on for active household only and then play whichever household I feel like at the time.

The plan is to rotate around everyone eventually, in all the worlds, and intermingle their lives with one another.

I try to make sure to use every type of career and trait and aspiration so that each household is different. Some have pets, I have singles, couples, families, grandparents, an orphanage. I play vampires in Forgotten Hollow and spellcasters. I have a single guy in Strangerville who is obsessed with aliens and plan to have him find and marry one. I need to add a mermaid in somewhere at some point, but may do that in the second generation.

This perfectly summarizes the plot of my novel, lol! He met his alien love interest at the Area 51 raid!
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,125 Member
    I've been watching Pleasant Sims' Edgewood LP, and she does something similar. She started out with 20 single sims. She plays with an integrated economy. Each sim has a role in the community. It's fairly interesting and I've thought about doing something similar but less in depth. You could check out her channel to get some ideas.

Here is the Edgewood Playlist:
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    @SweetieWright_84 I was actually inspired by her! She’s my favorite YouTuber!
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Maybe have 4-5 families in Newcrest and let them branch out into the other worlds? I love the idea of having shops run by sims like an art store that sells paintings from other artists in the neighborhood or something, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Maybe some of the families could be related so the kids could be cousins? Like, starting on the second or third generation instead of the usual first? I need to look into historical gameplay, it's always looked interesting to me!
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com