Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No more stuff packs and game packs in the future we need only expansion packs

Comments

• bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy I legit cried about it.
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    I love stuff packs. I'm mainly a one family player and new content in smaller doses just seems more manageable for me. In fact I could totally get behind just having stuff packs and game packs.

I could play one family, but i would still not want primarily packs that are very light on content. Not sure how that makes the game any better :/
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I like having the different packs, it helps create options.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    Here's my problem. Yeah, each tier has its point, but they've considered that more a suggestion than a rule.

In my opinion:

EPs usually should contain a major gameplay changing element, and a largish new world.

GPs should mostly be a gameplay element, some CAS/BB stuff, and maybe a small world.

Stuff Packs--minor gameplay element, few CAS/BB items, and nothing else.

There are packs that should have been fleshed out more--especially any GP with a world--as almost all of those are among the tiniest worlds in TS4, and you can't do anything with them.

There are packs that really, should have been game packs--such as Eco Living.

Many of the stuff packs--notoriously My First Pet Stuff, should have been part of GPs or EPs.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I'm happy with all three types of DLC, so I'd like it to stay the way it is.

However, I don't want to see any more community voted stuff packs. Despite there only being two, I've really had enough of those. 😂
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I like having all three types. I must admit, I prefer the way Sims 4 Stuff Packs are done compared to previous generations. I like having some actual gameplay elements in them; they're a bit more worth the money to me. I enjoy having the variety of pack styles though, and if Sims 5 does come along, it's something I'd love to see carry forward <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I'm really glad that they have thing separate from EPs. I don't necessarily want everything. For instance, with TS3 I never bothered with the Future EP. And I have no intention of buying the TS4 Star Wars. I'd be upset if they put in things that are not "futuristic" game play (like improving babies, elders and toddlers) into those packs since those *are* things I'd definitely use. I would prefer that they keep the occult/supernatural things separate (and have the clothes and building things separated out so that I can have those without the occult/supernatural Sims.) And I like this better than the tiny things they used to give us that you could buy from the "store" that were as expensive as a stuff pack or game pack.

And for the people who can't always afford to get the EPs (which tend to be spendy), it's nice that they don't have all those other things added in when they don't really fit. (And I'm grateful that they often put things in the "basegame updates" that they could put in an EP, SP or GP. And that they give us updates nearly every month rather than holding them all for a "major update" once every 6 months or so like they did in the past.)
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gamepacks offer so much more bang for the same $20 that brought us the stuff packs of the past it's not even a debate.
    This before adjusting for inflation.

The Sims has always had at least these two offerings, and where it comes to the $20 price point product specifically they have delivered far more bang for the buck than they have in the past.

The $10 price point product is basically a half price stuff pack of old that includes a workable item.
    Not quite as many items as the old stuff packs, but certainly not half as many and much better bang for the buck than ala carte TS3 store items

I think we're doing OK.
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    They are so frustrating . A stuff pack. The game is missing so many things that are needed and they want me to buy another stuff pack. I need more development of the life stages, more in depth gameplay. Some new hobbies. And another world . A fun vacation that isnt the middle of nowhere. And an attraction system. While we're at it build mode needs a few more additions, but no. Just throw me a stuff pack and a dorky useless game pack, that i will be bored with within seconds.
  • KyletokKyletok Posts: 5 New Member
    Lmao for some reason, expansions dont excite me the same way some game packs do. I'm a simmer who likes supernatural elements and really the only expansion that gave us one is Island living, with the lackluster mermaids that don't really add to the game play at all. I hate Eco Lifestyle if im being honest, it just seemed to have made the game really annoying for me with all the NAPs. Discover university has a lot of cool things but mostly stresses me out lmao. So yeah if they only had expansion packs I'd probably find it hard to keep interest in the game. I can do without stuff packs tho I guess.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Not really interested in anything they are making I can't even justify buying the pack for the content it is so ugly and uninteresting. I have to go to third party or whatever to get anything good.
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    You know they scratch content from EPs, to add them into GPs, SPs. So its part of adding life buying all the Packs. There is no denying this is a really well made money generator for EA and Maxis. No other option for having a washing machine get the certain Stuff pack for example. Well its been practise since release nothing new to me.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2020
    I feel that expansion packs provide the broad canvas but game packs are there to tie all the game's elements together, pack with pack and are much more difficult to make. That's why Stuff packs have been brought in with them as they all have at least one new interaction that has to be factored in.

SimGuruGraham, then producer of stuff packs, said once that they had to wait until programmers could find time for Stuff pack actions to be fitted in.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I like all three. I like having packs I can opt out of rather than relying on mods and default replacements to remove EP extra gameplay and objects I don't want because a mishmash of gameplay styles were all bundled in a single EP. This is the one feature I hope continues with future sims iterations.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    Game packs are my love, I love them out of all. But stuff packs hmmm 🤔
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    It's more like we want more packs of substance and no more cash-grab crap.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    I like game packs. Ts4 EP quality recently have been rather Questionable. Island living is so empty. Discovery university has hardly any fun gameplay. Eco lifestyle is good but soo buggy.

Not a fan of stuff pack apart from laundry and the knitting pack seems beefy.

All in all I do like the 3 pack model.

@jimbbq I a way I feel like the lack of quality/quantity in Sims 4's EP could be because they now have to make game packs as well. We didn't had any game pack in Sims 2/3 and the EPs were packed with good quality of things.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Gamepacks offer so much more bang for the same $20 that brought us the stuff packs of the past it's not even a debate.
    This before adjusting for inflation.

The Sims has always had at least these two offerings, and where it comes to the $20 price point product specifically they have delivered far more bang for the buck than they have in the past.

The $10 price point product is basically a half price stuff pack of old that includes a workable item.
    Not quite as many items as the old stuff packs, but certainly not half as many and much better bang for the buck than ala carte TS3 store items

I think we're doing OK.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • LeCastelLeCastel Posts: 21 Member
    > @"Jon the Wizard" said:
    > It's more like we want more packs of substance and no more cash-grab 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

Absolutely. I don't care if they give us a big expansion pack or a smaller gamepack. I just want content that is worth the cost, which I feel like the majority of what we have gotten just isn't is. Compare this franchise to the rest of the gaming industry: incredibly overpriced.
  • SloturtleSloturtle Posts: 7 New Member
    Tbh, the way they set up packs is an absolute ripoff in my mind. They put one thing thatd be useful or beneficial to gameplay in a pack just so people are obligated to buy it if they want to use it. Example- multi-fish fish bowls/aquariums. The base game itself has pitiful selections for poc hair texture/styles but theres genuinely good cas hair selections in other pack that are useless in any other way. If I want to create a sim who is dark skinned, I have to use what they give me, or dish out cash that I dont have. EA has been doing this for YEARS.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like game packs better
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    Maybe you can find disks of sims 2 and 3 as for sims 4 keep buying them on sale/getting them in bundles... The sad part of having all the games is the getting them at a good sale high is gone.

Also I don’t blame you I’m upset too, we got so much in Sims 2 expansion/stuff packs and we got a lot in Sims 3 for the most part, I enjoyed the store but eventually the game updated to where I can’t play every thing I bought.

Sims 2 will always be the best game in my opinion but I love Sims 3 too, my favorite world was Lunar Lakes!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2020
    As a Sims 1 player I would love to have only EPs and patches again. I never liked microtransactions and they have increased dramatically over the years to support to business ideal in major corporations of selling less as more. Probably why gamers have ventured more to indie companies the last few years. Concerned Ape has the most ideal gaming business sense of no DLC but focusing on patches and cross platform gaming.

All the platforms so far:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardew_Valley

He managed to not cut content and gameplay for his mobile versions too and games are not hindered by ads.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I'm fine with the system they are using. Stuff packs can seem to be a rip off at times ($15 for a waterslide or a bowling alley), but there are ones I'm glad they put in their own stuff pack instead of adding to an expansion or game pack. For example: Laundry day stuff. I have no interest in ever buying this one and certainly do not want laundry in my game. With it being it's own stuff pack I can simply not buy it. Putting something like this in University would have put me off the whole University pack, like with Sims 3.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    You know they scratch content from EPs, to add them into GPs, SPs. So its part of adding life buying all the Packs. There is no denying this is a really well made money generator for EA and Maxis. No other option for having a washing machine get the certain Stuff pack for example. Well its been practise since release nothing new to me.

That actually is a good thing for many players. They may not want the EP (because it has "objectionable" things in it) but they want much of the stuff that is in it.

I personally wish that they'd completely separate the "stuff" (build, buy, clothing, world) from the "EP" so that I don't have to have vampires in the game. As it is, I have to buy those EPs even though the *only* thing I want from them is the build/buy/clothing.

And the laundry is another good example. I'd like to have the washing machine *without* it generating laundry all over the house. (There are mods for that, but not everyone wants to use mods and consoles can't.)

The game packs and the like are in response to people who want more things in the game but not specific things.

And many people are forgetting all the "store" items that were even more expensive than stuff and game packs but you still had to buy them if you wanted them in your game. (Although I do admit that I don't get any packs unless they are on sale! I don't have to have those things "on release"!)