Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Features that are usually DLC content that should be BG

Waiting for a new DLC to drop isn't really fun if you are waiting for mundane, everyday features to be added or features that were already added in an expansion from the previous iteration. I think these things should always be integrated into the Base Game, whether it's at launch or through post-release patches. Feel free to add your own opinions.
  • Laundry Items
  • Family-centered gameplay (Generations, Parenthood)
  • Off-world* schools
  • Owning businesses
  • Urban and Rural Worlds/Neighborhoods
  • Small pets such as reptiles, birds, rodents, etc.
  • Dogs and cats
  • Aliens**
  • Hot tubs
  • Misc. Kitchen appliances (Kitchen Stuff)
  • New traits
  • Seasons and Holidays
  • New Hobbies (Freetime, Ambitions)
  • Celebrities and Fame
  • Illnesses
  • Restaurants
*Ability to send your sim away for school or university without having to manually play them (functions like the boarding schools from Generations)
**Aliens are pretty iconic to this franchise. I don't think they should ever be absent in the BG
Ding-dong! Your baby is gone!

-Social Worker, probably

Comments

• Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    edited November 2020
    Those are things that have always being in DLC and it won't change.
    I would also ofc wan't everything free but it aint happening
    Edit. Hot tubs etc were basegame but you ger the point
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    tweedle wrote: »
    Waiting for a new DLC to drop isn't really fun if you are waiting for mundane, everyday features to be added or features that were already added in an expansion from the previous iteration. I think these things should always be integrated into the Base Game, whether it's at launch or through post-release patches. Feel free to add your own opinions.
    • Laundry Items
    • Off-world* schools
    • Owning businesses
    • Dogs and cats
    • Aliens**
    • Hot tubs
    • New traits
    • Seasons and Holidays
    • Celebrities and Fame
    • Illnesses
    • Restaurants
    *Ability to send your sim away for school or university without having to manually play them (functions like the boarding schools from Generations)
    **Aliens are pretty iconic to this franchise. I don't think they should ever be absent in the BG

I think these are the only things that we will have good chances receiving as a base game feature for Sims 5.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • tweedletweedle Posts: 89 Member

It could change if more people were willing to put their foot down and say, "I'm not paying ten dollars for washing machines". I've owned TS4 since 2016 and I've only bought 3 packs, all while on sale. However, additional packs I own were given to me as gifts from friends. Sometimes it feels useless to "soft-boycott" Sims DLCs when everyone else buys them, but I'm willing to try.

I'm not asking for everything to be free. I just think certain items and features shouldn't be locked behind additional paywalls. It would be nice if EAxis took the Mojang approach and delivered free major updates while also giving players the option to buy additional, non-essential add-ons. I think it's dumb for a company to make me pay $30-$40 dollars for proper family dynamics in a LIFE simulator. DLCs should feel like add-ons but in The Sims franchise they function as missing pieces to the base game.

-Social Worker, probably
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member

Hot tubs did not originally come with the base game. They were introduced in Perfect Patio stuff and then later patched into the base game with the hot tub we got for the 20th anniversary. Even in ts3 we had to wait till Late Night for them to come out.

Things I think should be in the base game at this point are:

-Laundry
    -Basic seasons(they can add holidays later)
    -Cats, dogs, hamsters, etc.(basic pets everyone has. They can add in more exotic animals later)
    -Family gameplay
    -Cars

That still leaves plenty of old ideas for them to make packs out of but plenty of room to make new ones.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    CAW :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    i agree with you.
    hmm, it seems the new devs want to innovate on the game but they gotta deliver past games missing features first. perhaps by sims 5 they will plan to add some of those things you mentioned in base game and start doing brand new dlc. (in the case ts5 doesn't end up being second life or third life or whatever) however i doubt ea will allow maxis to put inside the base game those pack features that sell the most in the game. anyways people is still willing to pay for those things so it's up to people really. ea won't decide on its own if there is still business.

but for the sake of the franchise, it's about time that things like seasons (which was already meant to be in sims 2 base game but was not possible due to tech back then) and pets alongside other features glorified in packs make it into the base game. that's what the base game is for, to assure a base and then expand it on packs if necessary. but delivering important features for the game on packs? that's like selling a chair with two legs and selling the other two legs apart.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2020
    • basic seasons and weather
    • laundry
    • family gameplay
    • cars and bicycles
    • all life stages (including freed babies)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2020
    There were things that should have been in TS4's base for sure. But I agree with most of your list OP. Laundry doesn't magically happen ten years later it seems nonsensical to add that years later doesn't it? If we think logically what did those Sims who lived before Laundry Day do with all their dirty clothes? I look at things from a more pratical view I guess than developers who may be looking at a profit angle.

Sims should have dirty clothes in the base.

There should be some mild weather at least. Like some rain and light snow or whatever. It makes no sense at all in a fifth iteration that there wouldn't be some base game weather. Maybe not 'seasons' passing but at least some differences in temps and precipitation.

Yes, there should be kitchen applicances, like mixers, food processors, dishwashers, etc. What is the point of gaining wealth if there is nothing to buy to make a Sim's life easier. If not, then there should be a reduction of money earned if there are no luxuries to spend it all on to make their life easier. On that note, why have such an easy life if they can just be happy all the time doing dishes by hand etc. or using a mixing bowl by hand then there should be less happiness until they get those things, right? I know I would be.

One thing they can remove that was forced on all Sims in TS3 and TS4 is the cell phone, who is born with one? That is so ridiculous they get a free phone and never pay a phone bill...and all of them magically have one. Then people fuss about such things as unrealistic aliens in a base etc. Geez...think about the sillyness of everyone having a phone they didn't even have to go buy...or recharge and or pay a bill to keep.

Small pets, yes, hamsters etc. Maybe even the smaller birds, and not an expensive one. They can dream about that expensive bird on down the line.

Animals in the worlds, yes, I think it's way over due to see some wild life and animals in a base game. Depending on where your Sim lives there should be rabbits, deer, etc. Whatever is common in the world they are trying to imagine. And not FX.

Urban cities, yes, in a base game perhaps there should be a world that downtown is urban and the outskirts more suburbs and even farther out country style living. No need for multi worlds if done correctly.

Base game, I think it's past due there are different temps and weather and terrain all in one world. The higher you go the colder it gets. Mountainous areas should have a temp change, along with more arid, dry weather in a flatter, drier area of the map. Windy and more rain on hilltop areas in more wooded areas of one combined map.

School, night courses, higher education for adults, school activites for children, a community college. Private, Ivy league colleges could come later. But Sims should be able to attend courses after work, and or remote learning and attend skilled labor schools to become an electrician etc. This could possibly relieve the player from having to put all this stuff on a tiny lot they didn't really want to remodel.

There should be places to go and things to do, without DLC. Such as more than a bar, library, and museum. I mean how can we suspend our disbelief if there is no where to go for the Sims other than those basic places without anywhere to eat out, do laundry, watch a movie, a sports' event, etc. It is too much to ask players to believe that in TS5, there wouldn't be any consideration of a base with just a few places to go when 'if' it is going to call itself the fifth in a life simulation.

There are more things that should be in the base, such as an attraction system. What is the point of your Sims getting married and you have no idea why they get along or don't? Why should a player have to wait years (TS4) if ever to see why your Sim is attracted to another. This was ok in the earlier iterations but not anymore. The fifth iteration should be so much more detailed and robust. Just a slap happy put together expecting us to buy into it again, isn't going to happen this time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    • Laundry Items
    • Off-world* schools
    • Owning businesses
    • Dogs and cats
    • Aliens**
    • Hot tubs
    • New traits
    • Seasons and Holidays
    • Celebrities and Fame
    • Illnesses
    • Restaurants

Why should they give you any of that for free? If they did all those things in basegame, it wouldn't come out for years and there would be no EP/GP/SPs. The company has a right to make money.

I think it's amazing that *any* company would give as much in free updates as we get for TS4.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    As much as I would like what you listed to be added into the next iterations base game, OP .... it's never, ever going to happen. You have basically listed almost every single money making pack that has ever been created in all of the iterations. If they put all of that in the base game, what would entice players to ever buy packs? The base game would be so full and complete there would literally be no reason to ever put out any new DLC.

Sorry to say, they will never do that. EA is in it for the money, 1000%, that's it. They know they can make money hand over fists by the tried and true formula of milking the game with the least amount of content in additional DLC for the same price because they know it's what people want and are willing to pay for.

A base game like that, not only would it take many more years to complete but they would charge $300 for a base game.

I'm expecting TS5 to be even less robust than TS4 was. I expect the packs to be as lackluster, if not more so. I have absolutely no illusions that TS5 will be anything better.

Hot tubs did not originally come with the base game. They were introduced in Perfect Patio stuff and then later patched into the base game with the hot tub we got for the 20th anniversary. Even in ts3 we had to wait till Late Night for them to come out.

Things I think should be in the base game at this point are:

-Laundry
    -Basic seasons(they can add holidays later)
    -Cats, dogs, hamsters, etc.(basic pets everyone has. They can add in more exotic animals later)
    -Family gameplay
    -Cars

That still leaves plenty of old ideas for them to make packs out of but plenty of room to make new ones.

i meant they were base game in older versions (sims 2) and yes we get them in sims 4 and 3 later for free as well. like we also get a lot more updates to base game for sims 3 and sims 4 ( aka basements for sims 3 and sims 4 in a patch)
    In that list were also few more things that were in base game but i think we already know them.

Seasons and pets are huge moneymaker for EA since they are pretty much most favorite or 'must buy' packs for most. So i don't think they would just make them free.
    There are also a lot of other simulation games that has DLCs and i don't think it's bad since that way you can pick what you want and modify you're gaming experience with picking what you want.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
    KatAnubis wrote: »

Why should they give you any of that for free? If they did all those things in basegame, it wouldn't come out for years and there would be no EP/GP/SPs. The company has a right to make money.

I think it's amazing that *any* company would give as much in free updates as we get for TS4.

Did y'all just forget that people still pay money for the Base Game? You wouldn't be getting anything for free since you would still have to buy the game. A company has a right to make money but why should I, as a consumer, just blindly accept monetization practices I don't agree with? I have a right to voice my grievances and feedback. Why should I pay $20 so I can properly raise a family in a game that centers around life simulation? I'm not saying that everything I listened needs to be added, but I think that certain features aren't worth separating into individual packs and I don't think it's fun to pay for the same DLCs in every iteration. Games aren't as limited now as they were in 2000. A new Sims base game with a good engine should be able to handle basic seasonal changes and laundry machines. I'd rather wait years for a great base game than wait months for a few packs that I don't care about.

This post is coming from someone who has played a wide range of games from different companies. You should check out some other sandbox games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley if you think TS4 has "amazing" or adequate BG updates. Minecraft is the best selling game of ALL TIME and most players will agree that most of the enjoyment of this game comes from the core gameplay, not add-ons or store items.

The Sims franchise is one of the few games where paying $100+ for DLC is seen as normal or waiting for a DLC to fix boring gameplay is perfectly sound. If I'm paying $60 for a game, it should be reasonably enjoyable and functional without DLCs or mods.

-Social Worker, probably
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Seasons and holidays no doubt. I can't imagine playing without those.

Did y'all just forget that people still pay money for the Base Game? You wouldn't be getting anything for free since you would still have to buy the game. A company has a right to make money but why should I, as a consumer, just blindly accept monetization practices I don't agree with? I have a right to voice my grievances and feedback. Why should I pay $20 so I can properly raise a family in a game that centers around life simulation? I'm not saying that everything I listened needs to be added, but I think that certain features aren't worth separating into individual packs and I don't think it's fun to pay for the same DLCs in every iteration. Games aren't as limited now as they were in 2000. A new Sims base game with a good engine should be able to handle basic seasonal changes and laundry machines. I'd rather wait years for a great base game than wait months for a few packs that I don't care about.

This post is coming from someone who has played a wide range of games from different companies. You should check out some other sandbox games like Minecraft or Stardew Valley if you think TS4 has "amazing" or adequate BG updates. Minecraft is the best selling game of ALL TIME and most players will agree that most of the enjoyment of this game comes from the core gameplay, not add-ons or store items.

The Sims franchise is one of the few games where paying $100+ for DLC is seen as normal or waiting for a DLC to fix boring gameplay is perfectly sound. If I'm paying $60 for a game, it should be reasonably enjoyable and functional without DLCs or mods.

Exactly. You beat me to it. We wouldn't be getting these things for free they would just be in the base game. We still have to pay for that last I checked. Also if it means the game would take longer to come out because of it, i'm fine with that. We might actually get a better quality game out of it if they had more time to spend making it instead of being rushed like ts4.

Exactly. You beat me to it. We wouldn't be getting these things for free they would just be in the base game. We still have to pay for that last I checked. Also if it means the game would take longer to come out because of it, i'm fine with that. We might actually get a better quality game out of it if they had more time to spend making it instead of being rushed like ts4.

Kind of but i think the point was that they do give us free updates and stuff but they do not have to do that. Yes, we pay for sims 4 base game but we bought what it was. It was deal we make and when we bougth it there wasn't any text to say we get X amount of stuff or new features via patches.
    Same way if you buy new pc the seller don't give you new pc parts after few years.
    But people still buy this game but there was things that wasen't originally in base game and that way was not part of the original deal when they desided to buy it. So it's considered as free.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Well, after The Sims 4 I think Cats and Dogs could be base game and then make an expansion on other pets!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited November 2020
    It's a very unpopular opinion but I strongly think seasons should be in the base game. It's a life simulator seasons and weather are kind of essential things that should just be there without question, not a $40 extra that players have to wait years for
    Onverser wrote: »
    It's a very unpopular opinion but I strongly think seasons should be in the base game. It's a life simulator seasons and weather are kind of essential things that should just be there without question, not a $40 extra that players have to wait years for

Unfortunately, some people can't play the game if it has Seasons. Putting in Seasons tends to up the grade of computer that is required. So putting it in the basegame would make it harder for those folks. It's *much* better that it is in a separate EP that people can choose to have, or not try to work with.

Kind of but i think the point was that they do give us free updates and stuff but they do not have to do that. Yes, we pay for sims 4 base game but we bought what it was. It was deal we make and when we bougth it there wasn't any text to say we get X amount of stuff or new features via patches.
    Same way if you buy new pc the seller don't give you new pc parts after few years.
    But people still buy this game but there was things that wasen't originally in base game and that way was not part of the original deal when they desided to buy it. So it's considered as free.

I wish more people would realize that. When you buy a game, it means you buy it as it starts. I still remember when you had to buy the EPs to get build things for Sims that now they do "update" so that the builds can be used by everyone. They are doing us a kindness that no one seems to appreciate but only keeps saying "they should give it all to us for one initial low price."
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member

Unfortunately, some people can't play the game if it has Seasons. Putting in Seasons tends to up the grade of computer that is required. So putting it in the basegame would make it harder for those folks. It's *much* better that it is in a separate EP that people can choose to have, or not try to work with.

A computer released within a few years of a base game w/Seasons will run fine. People hanging onto computers that were low spec when bought nearly a decade ago need to accept that they can't be catered to forever.
    edited November 2020
    I wish more people would realize that. When you buy a game, it means you buy it as it starts. I still remember when you had to buy the EPs to get build things for Sims that now they do "update" so that the builds can be used by everyone. They are doing us a kindness that no one seems to appreciate but only keeps saying "they should give it all to us for one initial low price."

When I buy a game with $60 price tag I expect to get my money's worth. The base game does not have enough content or functionality to warrant a $60 price tag, especially if we are talking about The Sims 4 at launch (there weren't even colored maps!). $60 isn't a low price at all. Many videos games have a starting price of $60 but they are filled to the brim with content. If EAxis wants to keep their current DLC model, why not lower the price of the base game? If they were really acting out of "kindness" they wouldn't lock so many key features behind a paywall such as a reputation system, parenting skill, lifestyles, etc. There is nothing "kind" about EAxis expecting people to pay $10 dollars to add new kitchen appliances to their game. The word you are looking for is "exploitative".

Feel free to call me ungrateful but I don't appreciate having to wait 5+ years for ladders, L-shaped stairs, firefighters, repo-men, and better skin tones. The Sims 4 base game when it first was released was not worth $60 in my opinion and it still isn't. Why would I be grateful to EAxis for shipping in a subpar base game and slowly adding in missing features and fixes years later?

And for the record, I'm not saying that EAxis should get rid of DLCs all together. The DLCs produced should be reasonable and actually expand on the gameplay. I'm strongly against stuff packs or packs that add in content that centers around everyday gameplay (Generations, Ambitions, Seasons, Freetime, etc.). I think packs such as Into the Future, Supernatural, and World Adventures make the perfect DLCs because they actually add unique gameplay to the game instead of filling up gameplay that the devs neglected to put into the game because of $$$$$.

Post edited by tweedle on

-Social Worker, probably
    edited November 2020
    A computer released within a few years of a base game w/Seasons will run fine. People hanging onto computers that were low spec when bought nearly a decade ago need to accept that they can't be catered to forever.

^^^ This is a really hard pill for most players to swallow. I know it sucks to not meet the minimum requirements to run a game you love, but constantly catering to people with low end machines is holding this game back. This is one of the reasons why the builds in TS4 are so ugly and empty and why the object meshes are very low-poly.
    My suggestion: stop buying DLCs and save up money for a better computer.

-Social Worker, probably
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    Basic weather. It was cut from the base of the Sims 2, and would've really spiced things up naturally. The Sims never got to see rain unless they bought it throughout the series.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020

I agree that Seasons should be in a base game for The Sims 5. I might be hated for saying this but if they really afraid of losing an extra 40 dollars, I'm totally fine if they increase the price of a basegame so they dont have to afraid of losing extra dollars that they can get from selling Seasons pack.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

When I buy a game with $60 price tag I expect to get my money's worth. The base game does not have enough content or functionality to warrant a $60 price tag, especially if we are talking about The Sims 4 at launch (there weren't even colored maps!). $60 isn't a low price at all. Many videos games have a starting price of $60 but they are filled to the brim with content. If EAxis wants to keep their current DLC model, why not lower the price of the base game? If they were really acting out of "kindness" they wouldn't lock so many key features behind a paywall such as a reputation system, parenting skill, lifestyles, etc. There is nothing "kind" about EAxis expecting people to pay $10 dollars to add new kitchen appliances to their game. The word you are looking for is "exploitative".

Feel free to call me ungrateful but I don't appreciate having to wait 5+ years for ladders, L-shaped stairs, firefighters, repo-men, and better skin tones. The Sims 4 base game when it first was released was not worth $60 in my opinion and it still isn't. Why would I be grateful to EAxis for shipping in a subpar base game and slowly adding in missing features and fixes years later?

And for the record, I'm not saying that EAxis should get rid of DLCs all together. The DLCs produced should be reasonable and actually expand on the gameplay. I'm strongly against stuff packs or packs that add in content that centers around everyday gameplay (Generations, Ambitions, Seasons, Freetime, etc.). I think packs such as Into the Future, Supernatural, and World Adventures make the perfect DLCs because they actually add unique gameplay to the game instead of filling up gameplay that the devs neglected to put into the game because of $$$$$.

👏👏👏 Once again you beat me to it.