Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fixed Worlds?

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited November 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    Does SV2020 come with original sv premade?
    Not quite. It's a mix of sims from different EA worlds, including some of the more popular SV originals and a handful of original sims from the creators. In case you are one of the probably very few people who use Traveler-connected worlds, it's good to keep that in mind.

Personally, I didn't care too much, as I used the world to import my original SV population via Porter, and that meant annihilating all the existing ones first.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Does SV2020 come with original sv premade?
    Not quite. It's a mix of sims from different EA worlds, including some of the more popular SV originals and a handful of original sims from the creators. In case you are one of the probably very few people who use Traveler-connected worlds, it's good to keep that in mind.

Personally, I didn't care too much, as I used the world to import my original SV population via Porter, and that meant annihilating all the existing ones first.

I don't quite understand what is traveler connected world, is it something I have to manually enable in traveler setting? or is it the feature that allow Sims from previously visited world to visit my current town? Sometime a friend from university come to my sunset valley without me inviting them.

Last time I used porter I had issue with it, my Sims are still keeping their relationship status but in family tree they are both listed as single.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited December 2020
    @izecson NRaas Traveler lets you choose any world you want as a travel destination. For example, your Sunset Valley family can go to Isla Paradiso for a vacation. You can enable all sorts of travelers, like children, pets or friends and romantic interests. However, while this family or group is on vacation in Isla Paradiso, you can also make this their new homeworld (I would only do this with vacationers from a single household). For this, they have to buy a vacation home there (you have to convert one of the empty houses to ownable in Edit Town first) and move to that vacation house. At that point, you can tell Traveler to make this your new homeworld. You have to save, exit and restart, and then Isla Paradiso would be your new homeworld. All connections to Sunset Valley are preserved, which will be frozen in the state you left it. You can now go on a vacation to Sunset Valley and go through the same procedure there to switch homeworlds again. Sims will age up appropriately as soon as you arrive there, but of course you should make sure that all kids you want to see are born or at toddler or child stage before you leave a world behind. Switching of homeworlds can also be done by empty travel. You initiate travel, but remove the sole traveler by a double-click before you hit "go". In that case, you will just be asked to choose the family you want to play upon arrival.

I use a world to get rid of all the surplus sims from SV, so they live on, but I won't play them much. I just go there from time to time to help them catch up with their families and friends in SV, have their children age up, etc. I also have a side story in a third world for my main game. Of course, the usual vacation worlds, Sims University and Oasis Landing are also part of the parcel.

Porter is good for moving a whole town. I have done that a few times with 120+ sims at once. Keep in mind they will lose all connections to outside of the Porter group. You can mix both types of moving by using Traveler for families whose connections you want to keep up. Make sure the same families you moved via Traveler are included in the Porter package. After the Traveler group got established in the new world, you can unpack the Porter group, and Porter should merge the sims that are already there via Traveler, which restores the connections.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I gave the Sunset Valley fixed world a try and it seemed to have some weird graphical glitching on the terrain so I decided to just stick with the games version after all.
    edited December 2020
    @Turjan thank you for your comprehensive explanation of the nraas traveler, I'll be sure to send some of my sims unplayed descendant to another world if the town gets too populated with his offsprings, it seems I already triggered some of the features of that connected world when I visit riverview for a 2nd time, when i found out my sims's spouse's mother suddenly married another man and already has 2 teenage daughters with the man.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited December 2020
    @Sharonia You can only use the fixed world in new games. If you switch out the worlds in an existing game, those graphical glitches will show, because the terrain data have changed, but the positions of roads and houses haven't (those are stored in your save).

@izecson Awesome. It's a fun feature. Of course, you need some patience with the loading times between worlds :wink: .
    @Sharonia You can only use the fixed world in new games. If you switch out the worlds in an existing game, those graphical glitches will show, because the terrain data have changed, but the positions of roads and houses haven't (those are stored in your save).

I did start a new save after installing the world is that not the same as starting a new game?
    edited December 2020

@izecson Awesome. It's a fun feature. Of course, you need some patience with the loading times between worlds :wink: .

Ah no problem, I installed the game on my nvme ssd and loading between world only takes 45 seconds at most :p
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I did start a new save after installing the world is that not the same as starting a new game?
    No, that should be fine. However, since I've been using that fixed world for a long time, I know that it doesn't have any graphical glitches if installed properly. Did you put it into the right place? For EA worlds, those are different places in many cases.
    Ah no problem, I installed the game on my nvme ssd and loading between world only takes 45 seconds at most :p
    That's great to hear. Wait till you have two worlds with lots of sims that had been running SP for a long time, and then we talk about loading times again :lol: . Main issue is actually unloading the world you leave from, which TS3 seems to have a really hard time with.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    No, that should be fine. However, since I've been using that fixed world for a long time, I know that it doesn't have any graphical glitches if installed properly. Did you put it into the right place? For EA worlds, those are different places in many cases.

I followed the instructions from here https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=31158.0 It's basically telling how to install Sunset Valley 2020. I can't actually install the whole thing cause I need packs installed but I just thought I could add the fixed world in early and add the rest eventually. :D
    It seems to be the problem from the ellacharmed world fixed sunset valley world that is required by sv 2020. I also had that terrain glitch when playing with the fixed world and it really was an eyesore, for some reason I can still play on my current save after reverting to unfixed sunset valley to fix the terrain.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    Hmm. I had been using SV2020, vanilla flavor, version 1, and that one was okay. I just noticed it isn't what I want for Sunset Valley.
    Changing world files can be tricky. It's also recommended to restart the computer before you start a world, in addition to the usual deleting of the cache files, because Windows also wants to be "helpful" with stale data in its own cache files in many cases. I rarely see the "restart computer" mentioned in instructions, but I found this to be necessary in many cases with TS3.
    Would I be better off downloading it from here https://modthesims.info/d/451817/sunset-valley-world-with-routing-fixes-applied-update-2013-01-17.html and following the instructions on that page? I wasn’t sure cause the files are from 2011.
    No, the SV2020 instruction at Carl's site is good. My guess is still that you got some stale Sunset Valley data from either the game or the computer caches. Windows 10 can get tricky in that regard, because, on its default settings, it doesn't really shut down properly and draws data from an image file it keeps on your hard drive. Which is exactly what you don't want.

If you have a mismatch between old SV data and fixed world data, you will get errors like this:
    uZJgL29.jpg
    No, the SV2020 instruction at Carl's site is good. My guess is still that you got some stale Sunset Valley data from either the game or the computer caches. Windows 10 can get tricky in that regard, because, on its default settings, it doesn't really shut down properly and draws data from an image file it keeps on your hard drive. Which is exactly what you don't want.

If you have a mismatch between old SV data and fixed world data, you will get errors like this:
    uZJgL29.jpg

Thank you so much for your help. I will install it again and give it another go with also restarting my PC this time.
    I think I’m ready to admit defeat with this. I installed the world again, followed the instructions, started a new game and the terrain is still glitching. I did restart my PC this time as well. I honestly have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
    I didn't find the instruction to delete Sunset Valley world caches, have you tried deleting it? I belive it's located somewhere in base game install folder, most likely in the same parent folder for where you need to install fixed sunset valley world, I'm not at computer now so I can't check @Sharonia

I'm gonna give it a go later after reading about windows 10 cache stuff that @Turjan wrote.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited December 2020
    I didn't find the instruction to delete Sunset Valley world caches, have you tried deleting it? I belive it's located somewhere in base game install folder, most likely in the same parent folder for where you need to install fixed sunset valley world, I'm not at computer now so I can't check @Sharonia

I'm gonna give it a go later after reading about windows 10 cache stuff that @Turjan wrote.

Ooh I didn’t know I was supposed to delete a cache file as well. Let me give it another try.

Edit: Nope that didn't work either. :|
    edited December 2020
    Did you install the world file in the right location?
    ...\Origin Games\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds\Sunset Valley.world
    Note that this isn't the usual folder in "Documents".
    Did you remove or rename the original world file that can be found there? That one has to go.
    On most computers, this is in the C:\Program Files directory, which may have restrictions regarding whether you are allowed to write there.

The usual cache packages in ...\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 have to be always deleted if you change anything regarding worlds or mods.
    edited December 2020
    Did you install the world file in the right location?
    ...\Origin Games\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds\Sunset Valley.world
    Note that this isn't the usual folder in "Documents".
    Did you remove or rename the original world file that can be found there? That one has to go.
    On most computers, this is in the C:\Program Files directory, which may have restrictions regarding whether you are allowed to write there.

The usual cache packages in ...\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 have to be always deleted if you change anything regarding worlds or mods.

Yeah I've been doing all of what you said. I renamed the original Sunset Valley file so it was called Sunset Valley.old and the put the fixed version in the same folder. I delete all the usual cache files from the Sims 3 folder in My Documents and restart my PC but it's still having issues for me. This is what I'm seeing...
    QEoJ7I9.png
    It's like this in more places around the world too. I think maybe it's just not meant to be. How bad can the original world really be? I've managed with it so far. :D

Thank you so much for all you're help though. I do very much appreciate it.
    Oh, you meant minor stuff like that. Yes, there are a few spots like that. I think the most obvious one is the road in front of the science center. Some are easy to fix, if it disturbs you. I didn't mind. Having the routable areas fixed was more important to me.
    Oh, you meant minor stuff like that. Yes, there are a few spots like that. I think the most obvious one is the road in front of the science center. Some are easy to fix, if it disturbs you. I didn't mind. Having the routable areas fixed was more important to me.

Well it doesn't bother me hugely. That one is just behind my sims home so I'm seeing it a lot but I do plan to move them eventually when they can afford a new home.

Do you think the routing fixes are worth it? I'm fairly new to the Sims 3 and I'm not exactly sure how bad the routing problems get. I do have a mod in my game that tells me about sims with routing issues so I know problems are happening in my current game already with it.
    edited December 2020
    Sunset Valley isn't that bad with routing issues, but there are a few spots. Most of them only concern your sims that go collecting stuff. I only installed the fixed world to use SV2020, and now I have it in normal play. Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso are those towns most in need of the fixes.

That seam at the edge of your lot is easy to fix in build mode. Just use the terrain tools to smooth out the edges. Takes a few seconds. Note that you can only soften the edge on your own lot side, not the world terrain.
    Sunset Valley isn't that bad with routing issues, but there are a few spots. Most of them only concern your sims that go collecting stuff. I only installed the fixed world to use SV2020, and now I have it in normal play. Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso are those towns most in need of the fixes.

That seam at the edge of your lot is easy to fix in build mode. Just use the terrain tools to smooth out the edges. Takes a few seconds. Note that you can only soften the edge on your own lot side, not the world terrain.

Thank you so much. I might just stick with the original world. I plan to stay in Sunset Valley so if it's not that bad then I will manage with it.