I love dumpster diving in The Sims 3. It's probably my favorite hobby to save my Sims from getting stir-crazy. (Maybe we can all relate right now!)
I've been thinking about doing this idea for a while and finally took a break from my legacy family (wedding planning is so overwhelming). I originally called this a challenge but it's not really a challenge as much as it is a gameplay idea.
General Guidelines for the Dumpster Dive Extravaganza Gameplay:
1. Purchase a new home unfurnished (you are allowed to keep any furniture/fixtures that have come with your unfurnished home) and decorate it with 2nd hand items (dumpster diving or rummage through trashcan throughout town).
2. You are allowed to create your own Sim household or use premade Sims. Any inventory items they have in their personal or family inventory is allowed. If Sim moves to new lot from old lot, they must sell household objects prior to moving.
3. All members of your household are allowed to collect items through dumpster diving or rummaging.
4. You can have a job or earn money however you see fit.
5. You can alter the style of anything you find through dumpster diving. (Bonus: do not change style, use as found.)
6. Use it or lose it! You may choose to sell nothing and use everything you find or sell what you find to add to the household fund. Anything not used can be stored in family inventory. You can redecorate/replace old furnishings as you gain new inventory.
7. If you are gifted any items, you may use those items to decorate as non-dumpster bonus items.
8. Cheats to add money to the household is not allowed. Lifetime rewards can be applied to games except "No Bills" reward. Items found dumpster diving can be sold or repo'd to pay bills.
9. Remodeling/altering your lot is allowed as long as you have the funds.
10. Non-furnishings and furnishings can be treated as you wish (insects sold or mounted, metals smelted, given as gifts, displayed on shelves).
11. You may purchase items sparingly, the majority of your furnishings must be found.
12. If you have a mooch or klepto Sim, anything they obtain can be kept and used.
13. Items received through opportunities and work can be used.
14. Expansion packs are allowed.
15. Normal gameplay and story progression are allowed. Dumpster diving should not interfere with daily life. Turning off aging/story progression is also an option.
16. Please play responsibly! If you have a baby/newborn and are not able to find a 2nd hand crib/potty chair, please purchase these items. Or not, your choice.
17. Extra fun-ness, play as a Sim with the Slob or Neat trait. Start with a slob Sim and marry a neat Sim, have neat or slob offspring, have them contribute to your dumpster driving trips. "The family that dives together, thrives together."
18. Hoarding is encouraged, but beware HOA fines and failure to meet fire inspection safety.
19. You are required to go dumpster diving at least once every Sim day. There is no limit on how many times your Sim(s) can dumpster dive in one day. Rummaging through a trashcan does not count toward dumpster dive total. Only one Sim (not every member of the household) is required to meet daily dumpster dive quota.
20. Missed dumpster diving days will rollover to next day (Ex. Missed dumpster diving on Monday and Tuesday, you will need to dive 3 times on Wednesday to catch up).
21. Additional dumpster dives in one day does not credit to the next day. (Ex. Dumpster dived 3 times on Saturday, you will still need to dumpster dive on Sunday and Monday).
22. Purchasing and selling through junkyard/consignment store is allowed.
23. If you want to add extra dumpsters to your game, this will be allowed. Dumpster can only be added to businesses or community lot or multi-family dwelling or dorm where there is currently not a dumpster. Only one dumpster can be added. If a lot already has a dumpster, additional dumpsters are not permitted. If dumpster is added to a park, dumpster must be enclosed and not out in the open.
24. You may initially choose their original outfits but please refrain from making any new outfits or added outfits until they obtain a dresser.
25. If items are collected by household pets, this is allowed.
26. Sim is allowed to make upgrades to any objects they acquire.
27. Sim can still use services, such as babysitter or maid.
28. Up-cycling, crafting, inventing is encouraged. Ex. For wall art, it is best if Sim can find 2nd hand easel or Sim can use easel from another lot and then take the painting to decorate their home. If neither of these options are accessible, easel can be purchased as non-dumpster bonus item.
29. Sims is allowed to freely spend money outside of buy mode (taking classes, becoming a business partner/owner, etc.).
30. Purchasing non-dumpster bonus item through buy mode should be used sparingly and after other methods are exhausted (Ex. I have only made two buy mode purchase within 30 Sim Days.)
31. Sim should refrain from changing their appearance after initial Sim creation if they do not own a mirror. If they do not own a mirror and want to change their appearance, they will need to utilize mirror outside of their lot (neighbor's house, gym, etc.)
32. If your Sim wishes to buy something or spend money, refrain from making buy purchases. (No Sim-retail therapy.)
Anyone, please feel free to share your stories or any suggestions for additional fun gameplay idea to this non-challenge challenge!
"If you want to strive, you have to dumpster dive."
Happy treasure hunting!
Formerly The Master Thief of Riverview, currently a ghost. Beloved wife of world renowned surgeon Dr. Jebediah Wilson, mother to Caroline and Brady. My descendants know how to creep because of me. | Trash to Treasure Gameplay