Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can a divorced couple remarry?

Tom and Rita Hanks MUST be remarried but I can't figure out how to make that happen. Their relationship is almost full green and they are woo whooing twice a day. There are no interactions to propose marriage or get married. I got a wedding arch and no integrations available. Looking back at their memories while I wasn't playing them, apparently Tom kissed another woman. Rita accused him of cheating and then divorced him. Looking at Tom's friend list, he is still showing romantically interested in that other woman. Do I have to get them to break up somehow before he can remarry Rita? Help me save River Valley's most beloved couple!

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes, sims can remarry as often as they want. If you don't want to use MC, you will have to go the normal route: romantic interest (woohoo doesn't trigger that btw), going steady, propose, marry. You can do that within a single conversation. Make sure you get them to "extremely irresistible" through the usual romantic interactions, or none of those options will show up.

It may be good to tell the other woman to "just be friends" though, if you don't want any further surprises.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Their relationship is completely maxed out green, Tom sent enough insulting texts to his romantic interest to kill the relationship, and he is being extremely irresistible yet no options for engagement or marriage with Rita. I guess I'll let them sleep on it a night and see if anything changes. I hate to use "cheats" to get them back together if I don't have to.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sometimes, simply quitting and reloading the game helps to get missing options back. Also, the first option you should look for is "go steady".
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Has Rita asked him to be her boyfriend? Propose and marry wont show up until you have done this step.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Yes, your Sims can be remarried. No, he doesn't have to break up with his romantic interest for that to happen but it would be better for his marriage if he did. Breaking up face to face is better than text (if you can manage it).

How does Rita appear in his relationship bar? Does she have the empty heart with the red 'x' on it? If so, have them do basic interactions until the option 'Ask to Be Friends' appears. This will remove the 'ex' symbol and give them a 'clean slate' (so-to speak).

From there, have them spend time together doing all the interactions and things they like to do together (whatever that is). Rita will eventually forgive him and they will move forwards and towards marriage again.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Does Rita still have negative moodlet due to Tom cheating? it could be the only obstacle preventing them to get together again, try waiting for the moodlet to expire. it usually last around 5 in game days.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited October 2020
    Rita has the wedding ring moodlet with an red X on it and hovering over it says "ex-husband". Same with Tom. There are no options to be boy/girlfriend or go steady. I went into their memories and deleted references to the cheating and the divorce. Both relationship bars for each of them is all the way green. I have closed and reloaded the game and it's still the same. The only suggestion from here I haven't tried is checking to see if there is an option to ask to be friends. I've been focusing on the romance interactions. I'll try that when Tom gets home and see if it gets them further along to reconciliation.

ETA: No go. There are no "ask to be friends" interactions and still no proposal or marriage option. I'm tempted to move Tom out, and have Rita invite him over and see if it can progress from there.
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
    edited October 2020
    The 'Ask to Be Friends' comes up in either the 'Friendly' or 'Mean' category (and I think it is under 'Mean' for some reason). Personally, I wouldn't move Tom out because he then becomes a townie and will have free reign to pursue (or marry) whomever he wants (or the game wants to puts him with). I suggest keeping him under your control until the block which keeps him and Rita apart can be removed. Just my opinion.
  • DivaDoodleDivaDoodle Posts: 1,858 Member
    : ) I'm sorry this is late Rhiannon58 hopefully it got solved, but if not I have luck with what mw1525 said to do:

First have them do a few Friendly category thing (not romantic),
    Then go to the Mean category and 'ask to be just friends' will be there.
    Only then will the wedding ring with the red X in it disappear.
    Once that happens, you can start with the romantic things to get to Propose.
  • boombamboomboombamboom Posts: 52 Member
    Hi!! Yes, of course, your sims can remarry if they want to.
  • meme009meme009 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi.Yes they can remarry..BUT they have to 'travel' to a different location, only then will the option to marry show up. And they have to get married at that location. If they travel back, without marrying that option will not show up. So you need either university, world adventure or ITF packs
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @meme009 - That is one way to do it. But it's not the only way, as the players above have explained.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »
    The 'Ask to Be Friends' comes up in either the 'Friendly' or 'Mean' category (and I think it is under 'Mean' for some reason). Personally, I wouldn't move Tom out because he then becomes a townie and will have free reign to pursue (or marry) whomever he wants (or the game wants to puts him with). I suggest keeping him under your control until the block which keeps him and Rita apart can be removed. Just my opinion.

It is in the "Friendly" interactions for exes, and in the "Mean" interactions for romantic interests.

• AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Tom and Rita Hanks MUST be remarried but I can't figure out how to make that happen. Their relationship is almost full green and they are woo whooing twice a day. There are no interactions to propose marriage or get married. I got a wedding arch and no integrations available. Looking back at their memories while I wasn't playing them, apparently Tom kissed another woman. Rita accused him of cheating and then divorced him. Looking at Tom's friend list, he is still showing romantically interested in that other woman. Do I have to get them to break up somehow before he can remarry Rita? Help me save River Valley's most beloved couple!

Mean interaction - Ask to just Be Friends, for the other woman Tom cheated with.
    For Tom and Rita- Friendly interactions (I think probably 4-5 should do the work) until they have "ask to just Be Friends" interaction and then the ring icon in the relationship bar will disappear.

If there is further problem in the future, I would try to cheat and temporarily alter the sims' trait (from commitment issues to family oriented for example), it helps. :)
    @Avatarit - Thanks. I knew I saw it both places! This explains why.

@Rhiannon58 - Was this issue ever resolved? Are your Sims happily re-married?
    Thank you all for your help. I had to take a break from TS3 because my game was broken but the amazing team here helped me fix it today. I used the friendly interactions until I got the "let's just be friends". That cleared the X for marriage. Then I did the romantic interactions and the beloved Hanks family is once again whole!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2021
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help. I had to take a break from TS3 because my game was broken but the amazing team here helped me fix it today. I used the friendly interactions until I got the "let's just be friends". That cleared the X for marriage. Then I did the romantic interactions and the beloved Hanks family is once again whole!

That's great news. But I would like to meet this "amazing team" of which you speak some day. They sound like some pretty nice and helpful folks. Where have you been hiding them? :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Thank you for your help today @igazor! Truly. I've been wanting to play again but dreading the frustration. My game is fix, the Hanks are once again in love so the world is all right now! I've had a fabulous day getting to know my Sims again!