Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More representation of indigenous cultures?

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Should have focused more on gameplay rather than adding more cultural stuff.

I'm an indigenous in my own country and I personally dont care whether they eventually add my culture or not.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Not meaning to be offensive here but personally I'd rather they focus on improving the game play rather than focusing on inclusivity and representation all the time. None of this was needed in previous iterations of the Sims and people still managed to enjoy the games.

Yes, I agree totally. Representation is nice but it's not really needed at this point. I'd rather just that we keep this a simple game, without feeling the need to add every real life representation into it just because.

@Icewolf I'm pretty sure you're saying that because you're not the one lacking representation, darling.

Well, I'm scandinavian and there pretty much no scandinavian culture at all in Sims.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    The other day I noticed one of the new necklaces for female Sims has a colour option that is the same as the Australian Aboriginal flag, it got me wondering if perhaps there should be more indigenous representation in the Sims, or if it was something that was just too much risk of getting way wrong (like having Sims wearing first nation head dressed Coachella style, or female Sims being able to play a digeridoo).

What do others think, is more indigenous representation something EA should strive for, or is there just too much of a risk that it wouldn't be done right and would end up being tokenistic or insulting to indigenous cultures? Is this something better left to the CC and Mod creators?

Here's a thought you might want to consider. What about creating an indigenous culture neighborhood on your own? Seriously...instead of waiting for other people to do it for you, just recreate a neighborhood full of indigenous Sims you have created yourself. Seriously...this lack of personal motivation to do things for yourselves...is this a generational thing? Why are you wasting time when you can be doing this yourself? How about a little self sufficiency and imagination here?

Ah, okay. Well first of all I'm not insisting that EA do anything, as a matter of fact it would be my personal preference that individual gamers do utilise things like CC and Mods to create their own indigenous representation if they so wished (I certainly wouldn't trust a US centric game company, whose main motivation is profit, to represent indigenous cultures). I was simply curious what other people thought, given EA's apparent emphasis on diversity.

In terms of my own gameplay, I actually prefer to do a lot of things myself rather than just buying an endless round of packs to fill in whatever gameplay holes may or not be missing.

Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2020
    From a business perspective, I wouldn't do it---too much of a chance for it to backfire and offend people by not getting something right. I think we should leave it to modders
    Actually it would be great for business to get more people to play the Sims games. Sims is playing too safe is already backfiring on the franchise and given it a joke reputation to only catering towards babies. Then again what do I know with business being my forte and all and doing really well both in school and work in that area. *shrugs* I rather the game cater to you know the actual laws the company is in with including diversity or the game is already doomed for living in the dark ages laws. Business that don't innovate tend to die fast. Pandemic has proven that of businesses not wanting to change their ways of doing business end up going out of business. It would be bad business practice not to have diversity and have a repeat of SimCity not wanting to change their ways too. Then again EA is kind of in the dark ages already, so why would Sims be any different from not innovating like their other cookie cutter knock off games too? Even on EA standards, EA Sports has more diversity than the Sims does and people wonder why those games tend to sell better than this franchise, simple inclusive customer base. But I find those that don't want culture tend to not want new Simmers anyways which is dangerous especially with the pandemic. Existing customer base isn't going to be enough to fund EA's pockets plain and simple. Some of already divorced the franchise years ago, so catering to people not wanting change is a lost cause. Thus why the Sims 3 got remained broken. People weren't willing for that game to change either.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    From a business perspective, I wouldn't do it---too much of a chance for it to backfire and offend people by not getting something right. I think we should leave it to modders
    Actually it would be great for business to get more people to play the Sims games. Sims is playing too safe is already backfiring on the franchise and given it a joke reputation to only catering towards babies. Then again what do I know with business being my forte and all and doing really well both in school and work in that area. *shrugs* I rather the game cater to you know the actual laws the company is in with including diversity or the game is already doomed for living in the dark ages laws. Business that don't innovate tend to die fast. Pandemic has proven that of businesses not wanting to change their ways of doing business end up going out of business. It would be bad business practice not to have diversity and have a repeat of SimCity not wanting to change their ways too. Then again EA is kind of in the dark ages already, so why would Sims be any different from not innovating like their other cookie cutter knock off games too? Even on EA standards, EA Sports has more diversity than the Sims does and people wonder why those games tend to sell better than this franchise, simple inclusive customer base. But I find those that don't want culture tend to not want new Simmers anyways which is dangerous especially with the pandemic. Existing customer base isn't going to be enough to fund EA's pockets plain and simple. Some of already divorced the franchise years ago, so catering to people not wanting change is a lost cause. Thus why the Sims 3 got remained broken. People weren't willing for that game to change either.

Your argument would be valid if the Sims team were cultural experts--they're not. Look at the backlash that's already started with Snowy Escape and Japanese traditions not being followed properly--that made a lot of people angry. If the Sims team could do it properly, I'm all in...but they won't.....
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Your argument would be valid if the Sims team were cultural experts--they're not. Look at the backlash that's already started with Snowy Escape and Japanese traditions not being followed properly--that made a lot of people angry. If the Sims team could do it properly, I'm all in...but they won't.....
    You assume Sims team isn't culturally diverse. Also it wasn't just Japanese culture, but Korean culture too that there was some feedback and honestly glad it was. They don't even do the American culture properly. XD All they represent is the hipster style for this so called "American" representation and oh there is an even bigger backlash for American representation too. Look at Star Wars pack as a prime example of representing a specific place where the Gurus visited at Disneyland. American backlash is far worst than the cultural backlash has been so far. ;) At least those small things could be fixed easily with Snowy Escape. Sims 3 was another example too of American focused trends with a huge backlash with the Katy Perry pack. So it is not just the Sims 4 this exclusive focus has been bad for pack sales. I actually wonder with people that didn't like American packs like Star Wars want even more of it. It seems like it would be bad catering towards it. Like people said there was backlash with toddlers too but it was great for business and helped a ton with sales. The proof is in the sales numbers, nothing to argue about. It's just how businesses work these days is being innovative towards reaching a wider target market to grow their sales. Like toddlers and the gender update, it is going to happen whether people like it or not because EA wants money.

Every Sims pack has had some backlash to it anyways, so I don't see having culture hurt anything for those that say Sims 4 is the worst for business anyways that know nothing about how businesses actually work and the impact of sales figures. Despite the Sims 4 causing the most backlash, it is the top selling Sims iteration yet. So wouldn't more backlash help business more than hurt it using that logic? XD People like drama apparently and will buy just to get that joy of the backlash with pack and patch releases anyways.

So seems like culture has been good for business after all. :)
    https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Q2-FY21-Prepared-Remarks-Final.pdf

"Around the world, our multi-platform Sims community continues to grow, and
    our Sims 4 player base on PC and console is now the largest in franchise history."
    "The Sims 4 and Apex Legends show how we build great live services into strong ongoing
    businesses. This quarter we’ll launch our 10th expansion pack for The Sims 4, along with some
    important game updates that add even more cultural customization options for players."
    "We also expect another very strong year for The Sims 4, a testament to the strength of that community
    as it enters the seventh year of live service." So proof is in the numbers and well numbers have been very good and they are indeed doing well in business despite the community saying it has scared away more players than brought in when that isn't the case. It has retained the largest player base yet. What happens with not unionized companies like EA, they are for profit companies, so being "good for business" financially and in numbers of community members they have done well at.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited December 2020
    Even on EA standards, EA Sports has more diversity than the Sims does and people wonder why those games tend to sell better than this franchise, simple inclusive customer base. But I find those that don't want culture tend to not want new Simmers anyways which is dangerous especially with the pandemic. Existing customer base isn't going to be enough to fund EA's pockets plain and simple. Some of already divorced the franchise years ago, so catering to people not wanting change is a lost cause. Thus why the Sims 3 got remained broken. People weren't willing for that game to change either.

this might sound weird coming from a straight male, sports are a massive turn off, especially when it comes to videogames, I don't how some people could watch that garbage or play those repetitive games.
    You assume Sims team isn't culturally diverse. Also it wasn't just Japanese culture, but Korean culture too that there was some feedback and honestly glad it was. They don't even do the American culture properly. XD All they represent is the hipster style for this so called "American" representation and oh there is an even bigger backlash for American representation too.

[Political comment removed - CM], I'm sorry for stereotyping but to outsiders like me those are the only Americans these days.
    Post edited by EA_Barry on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Even on EA standards, EA Sports has more diversity than the Sims does and people wonder why those games tend to sell better than this franchise, simple inclusive customer base. But I find those that don't want culture tend to not want new Simmers anyways which is dangerous especially with the pandemic. Existing customer base isn't going to be enough to fund EA's pockets plain and simple. Some of already divorced the franchise years ago, so catering to people not wanting change is a lost cause. Thus why the Sims 3 got remained broken. People weren't willing for that game to change either.

this might sound weird coming from a straight male, sports are a massive turn off, especially when it comes to videogames, I don't how some people could watch that garbage or play those repetitive games.
    You assume Sims team isn't culturally diverse. Also it wasn't just Japanese culture, but Korean culture too that there was some feedback and honestly glad it was. They don't even do the American culture properly. XD All they represent is the hipster style for this so called "American" representation and oh there is an even bigger backlash for American representation too.

[Political comment removed - CM], I'm sorry for stereotyping but to outsiders like me those are the only Americans these days.
    LOL I know quite a few women who like sport style games too. Rocket League is quite popular right now even though not an EA game of course. With the small towns it does feel like that. Not all of us live under a rock thankfully. But yeah that stereotyping is ruining the franchise. It does feel like those are the only two things the game is catering to and being that niche will keep a lot of potential future customers away. You summed up Sims 4 direction really well. I just know the bay area where the studio is more diverse than that. Sims community is more diverse than that too. I just don't understand the censorship of the Sims games these days. They are playing too safe. I want them to start taking risks with gameplay and they have started to but still a long way to go to get to the level of risk E-Teen games are taking these days. Gaming has changed and sad when EA can't even keep up with the soccer mom's Disney is doing these days which already has the reputation of being behind in diversity. There is a comic that has been shown with many of my state jobs that sums up what EA is doing with their games which is equality but they need to get to the equity level to reach more customers.
    Equality-Vs-Equity..final-edit-1.jpg
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2020
    LOL I know quite a few women who like sport style games too. Rocket League is quite popular right now even though not an EA game of course. With the small towns it does feel like that. Not all of us live under a rock thankfully. But yeah that stereotyping is ruining the franchise. It does feel like those are the only two things the game is catering to and being that niche will keep a lot of potential future customers away. You summed up Sims 4 direction really well. I just know the bay area where the studio is more diverse than that. Sims community is more diverse than that too. I just don't understand the censorship of the Sims games these days. They are playing too safe. I want them to start taking risks with gameplay and they have started to but still a long way to go to get to the level of risk E-Teen games are taking these days. Gaming has changed and sad when EA can't even keep up with the soccer mom's Disney is doing these days which already has the reputation of being behind in diversity. There is a comic that has been shown with many of my state jobs that sums up what EA is doing with their games which is equality but they need to get to the equity level to reach more customers.

I remember when Sims Medieval had an option to Duel to the Death, but once we got Lightsabers we didn't get the option, Lightsabers are even more deadlier than swords and only force sensitives like Luke, Anakin, Obi-wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, Yoda, Maul, Starkiller and Sidious should be wielding such weapons, even some of them lost a limb or two, hell Anakin used his lightsaber to murder children, I was disappointed that they weren't lethal or the fact that we didn't even get force powers with the pack, Disney and Katleen Kennedy didn't stick to the lore or the multitude of Star Wars sources and gave us a bad fanfic with unlikable characters, I'll rather have the Lucas version of the Sequel trilogy where Darth Maul and his Twi'lek Sith apprentice Darth Talon are the villains and were running the criminal underworld, at this point The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda are the only things keeping Disney Star Wars afloat.
  • Options

I remember when Sims Medieval had an option to Duel to the Death, but once we got Lightsabers we didn't get the option, Lightsabers are even more deadlier than swords and only force sensitives like Luke, Anakin, Obi-wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, Yoda, Maul, Starkiller and Sidious should be wielding such weapons, even some of them lost a limb or two, hell Anakin used his lightsaber to murder children, I was disappointed that they weren't lethal or the fact that we didn't even get force powers with the pack, Disney and Katleen Kennedy didn't stick to the lore or the multitude of Star Wars sources and gave us a bad fanfic with unlikable characters, I'll rather have the Lucas version of the Sequel trilogy where Darth Maul and his Twi'lek Sith apprentice Darth Talon are the villains and were running the criminal underworld, at this point The Mandalorian and Baby Yoda are the only things keeping Disney Star Wars afloat.
    True. But yes exactly playing too safe. New Spiderman game in the meantime looks amazing and has Miles as Spider-Man from Into the Spiderverse. Disney owns Marvel now too, so seems like that game will sell well for them. I do love the Mandalorian. It stunk they switched directors during the last trilogy so lore was all over the place. Lego games are probably selling well for them too. I just don't understand why EA wants to stay so out of date with their games. They need to invest in upgrading their systems and marketing and direction otherwise who knows Disney might buy them out too just like they have with everything else. Why EA not having culture is bad for business because their business between Disney will go beyond the contract that expires in 3 years. They'll become Disney's lapdog.
  • Options
    AlexaiAlexai Posts: 186 Member
    Not meaning to be offensive here but personally I'd rather they focus on improving the game play rather than focusing on inclusivity and representation all the time. None of this was needed in previous iterations of the Sims and people still managed to enjoy the games.

Some enjoyed previous games more than others.
  • Options
    AlexaiAlexai Posts: 186 Member

Yes, I agree totally. Representation is nice but it's not really needed at this point. I'd rather just that we keep this a simple game, without feeling the need to add every real life representation into it just because.

@Icewolf I'm pretty sure you're saying that because you're not the one lacking representation, darling.

Agreed! It seems to always be the case that the represented people are the ones decrying inclusivity as unimportant.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Alexai wrote: »

Agreed! It seems to always be the case that the represented people are the ones decrying inclusivity as unimportant.

no it's because ea only puts the focus on representation rather than gameplay. if the game was in a good state people wouldn't really care about what's added but we can see ea intentions on representing everyone and their mom rather than focusing on the game itself because it's cheap and ez money. as if they gave a f#ck about us lol.
    also, some people seems to think the sims should be this one realistic life simulator when it's not, it's a cartoony life simulator and it has enough fantastic elements to tell us once again that it's not a game to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Right I'm just going too say it, yes I would love all types of cultures to be represented in the game, but heres the thing someone always gets offended because most people a delicate little flowers those days lol, it's just isnt worth the carry on, we have enough agruements even as far as war in the real world about religion and culture etc, best too keep unnecessary real life issues out of it, I say
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yesss
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited November 2020
    bella_goth wrote: »

no it's because ea only puts the focus on representation rather than gameplay. if the game was in a good state people wouldn't really care about what's added but we can see ea intentions on representing everyone and their mom rather than focusing on the game itself because it's cheap and ez money. as if they gave a f#ck about us lol.
    also, some people seems to think the sims should be this one realistic life simulator when it's not, it's a cartoony life simulator and it has enough fantastic elements to tell us once again that it's not a game to be taken seriously.

Exactly. The only color EA cares about is green (money). A lot of their diversity marketing ends up being pandering. Id love to see more cultures being included but imo its not a higher priority than gameplay. Of course someone will say why not both? Id love both too. But EA cant deliver that for me as it seems
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »

Exactly. The only color EA cares about is green (money). A lot of their diversity marketing ends up being pandering. Id love to see more cultures being included but imo its not a higher priority than gameplay. Of course someone will say why not both? Id love both too. But EA cant deliver that for me as it seems

they do try to do both things as seen in island living and snowy escape, however the content is so lacking that the main selling point of these packs is how beautiful they are and the "exotic" aspect of them. but the gameplay? island living didn't even had half the things island paradise delivered, and snowy escape has so many reused content it should be labeled winter eco lifestyle.
    and the sentiments/lifestyles are glorified moodlets.

i wouldn't mind more cultural inspired content on the sims in fact i'd love native american stuff but i know it will be poorly done, people will complain, the budget spent on ""researching"" won't make up for the gameplay and we'll get yet another shallow but pretty world sold for 40$.

the sims biggest problem is ea, who allowed maxis to reuse a flawed engine for the main sims title, who won't even hire more people to work for the game, who will assign the minimal budget for them, who changed ts4 marketing from "smarter sims, weirder stories" to "the sims is my safe space" because it was evident the sims were dumber and the stories were repetitive. but what does ea do with these issues? focus highly on representation because they know getting a wider public will get them more sales while cleaning their company image altogether.

but i think people has a limit, i don't care if my culture is put perfectly on the game cuz at the end all sims will act the same, do the same and this "uniqueness" they couldn't deliver with gameplay and are trying to deliver with set dressing is nothing but a scam.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Indigenous people are a sensitive subject as so many around the world are suppressed and treated with minority rights. Their cultures are really rich and beautiful(which we'd all love to see) but I can't think of one of them that would appreciate a cartoon game depicting their life or culture for a gaming company's profit with none of that money going toward their own issues.

Maybe EA could donate a portion of sale income toward whichever tribe/tribes they use as inspiration.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    morganlefayemorganlefaye Posts: 178 Member
    The other day I noticed one of the new necklaces for female Sims has a colour option that is the same as the Australian Aboriginal flag, it got me wondering if perhaps there should be more indigenous representation in the Sims, or if it was something that was just too much risk of getting way wrong (like having Sims wearing first nation head dressed Coachella style, or female Sims being able to play a digeridoo).

What do others think, is more indigenous representation something EA should strive for, or is there just too much of a risk that it wouldn't be done right and would end up being tokenistic or insulting to indigenous cultures? Is this something better left to the CC and Mod creators?

In some way, I think they could get wrong or maybe they don't want to do it, because a lot of people wouldn't notice it. I think it would be cool if they wanted to do representation by having it being inspired by rather than getting a lot of it wrong. Making another world of sims to play in and see the land for themselves. I think it's always on how the consumer will use it or take it.
  • Options
    morganlefayemorganlefaye Posts: 178 Member
    I wouldn't hold my breath, they couldn't even get the Japanese one right, How about instead of during a USA themed pack why not go with a Canadian themed pack, it'll be cross between city living & outdoor retreat there'll be three types of areas, urban city residential area, a woodland forest area and a snow covered area, As a Canadian I personally wouldn't mind or be offended if the Sims team went with the usual stereotypes of my country like a lumberjack career, maple syrup themed build items, Canoes, Hunting & Canoeing skill, death by Canadian Geese, Death by Wolverine and a playable sasquatch or wendigo Occult and it'll also cover aboriginal culture too, since we didn't try to kill them when we first arrived unlike our dumb American cousins.

One thing I know about Canadian geese, you don't 🐸🐸🐸🐸 with them.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I'm also a Canadian & would love the Canadian Beaver, Geese, Northern Territories, Prince Edward Island, British Columbia, the Inuits Tribes & Prairie Cree Tribes.
    Also, "Anne of Green Gables/Road to Avonlea" would be cute.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I think I prefer they work on giving us the things so many have been begging for... Farming, Werewolves/Fairies, maybe a romance pack.. And personally, I would love a Theme park pack, or a Las Vegas style pack. Also want more work done on expanding the personality system, because I don't really see the new sentiment/lifestyles making much of a change.

Oh, also wouldn't mind bringing back drums and bands with a proper lead singer.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2020
    I think the point of making it subtle is to include it as a side effect when presenting gameplay that would be useful to 'all'.

Just as an exampe, I think a werewolf occult would be very suited for a Canada-inspired world, with other mythology themes, lots of BB objects inspired by killer whale esthetics, huge redwood trees, and so on. (Or a swedish-inspired world of nature, architecture, politics, and cultural habits like singing, including 'jojk' and getting drunk - just wishing here).

A farming world could be set in sunny California, with BB objects inspired by the locals then and now - all of them; and crosspack features like adding to the politician career's Promote Cause in a sensible way, for equality and legal rights.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I feel like EA did a good job with Jungle Adventure and Island Living. So as long as they add Indigenous people to the game packs that are based on the real places they inspired by, it should be sufficient.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    BTW, although I would like to see a few more Native American elements, I find that most of the Native Americans I know wear pretty much the same stuff as everybody else. I'd probably add a couple pieces of jewelry (a couple nice turquoise pieces, and one of them cool bone chokers that look so hot on men), a couple t-shirts with Native American designs, some moccasins (the knee high ones are so cool), and maybe a couple Southwestern looks might be nice. Loose double ponytails would be a good edition too, and not just for women.

A few more Native American home decor options would be good too. I'm surprised at how little there is in the game.