Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How intelligent do you want Sims to be?

If my Sims was alot smarter then today, I expect I woulöd feel like an intruder or an peeping tom when they performed intimate options for example like woo hoo. Even today I prefer not to look in when they woo hoo, but with smarter Sims?! Also when it come to child care, with high parenting skill I tend to do the wrong choices and send them of to give the toddler a bath when they are really hungry and a warning text comes up about if the toddler don'''t get feed they will be taken away...

How intelligent do you want Sims to be? 102 votes

Now is smart enough
6%
TheSpotted_Cfriendlysimmerscrazycat_135GamingTweetyPeralSeashoreLiviamightysprite 7 votes
Smarter
92%
GoldmoldarYunaMichelleWsketchesalan650111PseudonymsAprilDawnZhakiraPCamkatBreeNillaIsb917keekee53haneulBeardedgeekSerraNolwenalexandreaKatAnubisg01denswanluthienrisingfruitsbasket101 94 votes
Not as smart as now
0%
EnkiSchmidt 1 vote

Comments

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Smarter
    you seem to be mistaking realism with a good AI. one thing is your sim being able to differentiate choices, to behave according to their personality, to do things they like autonomously or interact with other sim according to their situations and stuff which would be the ideal thing on a life simulator. unless sims developed ex machina kind of AI, there's nothing for you to worry about. there won't be any amount of realism on their AI to reach the level you seem to be describing. and all the woohoo interactions would be the same because it's still a preset animation, not an auto generated interaction.

i want smarter sims than the ones in ts4. sims 1 was a great example, although for today's standards some parts of their AI is quite primitive (like not being able to get out of the pool without ladders) i think it was very well coded and researched. the creator of the sims & the old maxis also read lots of psychology and other genre books to be able to make a decent AI that could fit in a life simulator.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Now is smart enough
    Well bella-goth with an increased intelligence would it not be an obvious increase in interaction?! How else would increased intelligence would be shown? You did provide with an interesting question
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    edited November 2020
    Smarter
    I want sims to be smart enough to care for themselves and interact with other sims in a way that makes sense. By that last part, I mean I don't want sims to have a friendly chat after they just had a fight with that sim. I also would like for sims to have an emotion system that makes sense (with the current emotion system, a sim could be sad after losing a family member but be happy the next moment just because she looked at a painting).
    Post edited by Schmoloop on
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    Not as smart as now
    Normally I don't care, because I have free will off. But when playing an asylum challenge, where free will is required, it becomes apparent that the Sims 4 sims are perfectly capable to survive on their own, no player input at all required. That kinda defeats the purpose of a game. (Granted, for the most part their actions seemed silly, but they always managed to avoid starving.)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Smarter
    Actually, I would love my sims to be able to develop common sense & street smarts. They don't need more intellect smarts.
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Smarter
    I still remember my sim going out in the depths of winter to play with clay and standing there with it till they froze to death. As much as I love seeing mr grim reaper, I'd prefer seeing smarter sims.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Smarter
    I will always want smarter sims but sims are only as smart as the current AI system that is available. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2020
    Smarter
    I would love smarter sims, don't get me wrong I love sim logic but there are things I disagree with like my sims using the bathroom sink to wash dishes when there was a perfectly good one in the kitchen they were just at, I would also love more sociopath/psychopath options, I don't want my sims panicking and putting out the fire I intended to use to kill off my annoying neighbors in the next room.
    Post edited by temporalgod on
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    Smarter
    Smart enough to take of their needs if they are yellow.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Smarter
    As in TS2 smarter. That's the baseline, feel free to go up from there.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Smarter
    Need to be smarter, TS4 sims is the least smart just the other day I found a Neat Sim trying to clean a trashcan while she herself has a green fume coming out of her armpit.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    Smarter
    I don´t know what they were talking about "smarter sims", but the sims in sims 4 are incredibly dumb. It´s a miracle they survive taking a shower as it requires doing two things at once, breathing and showering.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Smarter
    Ideally, I want sims to surprise me with their behavior. But not surprise me only because they did something that was bizarre or silly. I'd like them to surprise me in the kind of way that real people surprise me. That I'm not quite sure what they're going to do, but I might have some idea based on their personality and history. The sims as they are in this game are, imo, too predictable and narrow in their behavior, and there's little to no illusion of intelligence to speak of. I guess that's probably why I prefer to play with autonomy off on the selected household sim. When I play with it on, I feel like I'm constantly trying to herd them away from doing things that are mindless or silly.

But maybe more importantly, I just want sims actions to feel like they are leading somewhere. Nobody has a visible "Fulfillment" need, for example, which makes them like hollow creatures. They know to Sleep, but they don't have any need to yearn, to imagine, to help others, to be a part of something, etc. Apart from the extremely general Social and Fun, all the non-physical needs are nowhere to be found, or might be found in some capacity in mood buffs that don't lead much of anywhere. As a reflection of real life, this makes it hard to relate to them as characters and learn and feel from the stories that result.

Some will disagree, I know. Some find other ways to get story out of this and I have tried the "projecting onto sims" thing. It's interesting, but I don't have much creative energy for it by the time I'm opening up a game to play.

And I will say, to the credit of the sims team, there are clearly some on it who have listened to various problems about this and have tried to do something about it over the years, and it shows. I'm just not sure the core of the game is where it needs to be and that makes it difficult for surface improvements to be very noticeable overall.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Kaylen34Kaylen34 Posts: 78 Member
    Smarter
    I think I hit yes by mistake.

It depends on what you mean by smarter. If you mean smarter as in adding new skills for sims to learn, No. As it is, I would love to stop my sims from learning comedy and mischief skills. All of my sims maxing out almost all skills is boring and unrealistic. I want my sims to be individuals and I would like to be able to choose what skills they learn and when.

If you mean smarter as in more autonomous, No. what's the point in the game if the sims do everything themselves.

If you mean Smarter as in having the common sense to not stand in a fire, tamper with electronics, or cook without appropriate skills, Yes.

It all depends on what you mean by smarter.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Little bit smarter....Just not more intelligent than me.
    They're getting real close though, because I'm beginning to find it incredibly hard to understand them these days... :#
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Smarter
    Kaylen34 wrote: »

It depends on what you mean by smarter. If you mean smarter as in adding new skills for sims to learn, No. As it is, I would love to stop my sims from learning comedy and mischief skills. All of my sims maxing out almost all skills is boring and unrealistic. I want my sims to be individuals and I would like to be able to choose what skills they learn and when.

If you mean smarter as in more autonomous, No. what's the point in the game if the sims do everything themselves.

If you mean Smarter as in having the common sense to not stand in a fire, tamper with electronics, or cook without appropriate skills, Yes.

We could be living in the same universe as Sims 4 for all we know, I've noticed that a lot of IRL people are stupid and lack common sense, Corona just made it even more apparent than usual, you know people are dumb AF when the first thing they grab is toilet paper and not food during a pandemic.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Smarter
    My sims... Are only partially able to meet their needs reliably? On one hand, I understand them going into the red sometimes. It happens and has always happened. That is not my problem.

My problem is that they nap on their assigned bed until I tell them to sleep properly, they drink water and grab quick meals when they are hungry and someone else is cooking, sims with no skill randomly make bar drinks, they constantly flock to certain kitchen appliances (coffee maker, ice cream maker, popcorn popper, etc.), for some reason I cannot keep them from bringing the Murphy bed down even if they do not plan to nap on it (it doubles as a sofa in front of a TV, but they never sit there unless told for some reason), no one autonomously likes to feed the small pets from my experience, they wash dishes in the bathroom (I have sort of accepted this, but still), I have had some really odd pathing issues with cooking and eating if you have multiple kitchens, they do not have a system to move laundry/dishes/trash/anything into their inventory and out to navigate ladders with them (it makes ladders barely viable in my builds), and the list goes on.

This is not even including lackluster personalities (traits, turn ons, preferences, interests, you name it), missing emotions, and an almost irrelevant whim and aspiration system. Even if we get more aspirations, they barely affect whims and we rarely get new aspiration rewards to buy with satisfaction.

I dare say the smarter than ever sims claim flopped.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Smarter
    Dear little vegetarian Sims,

This is meat. This is not meat. Do not eat the meat!

Whoops, wrong topic.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    Smarter
    Calico45 wrote: »
    they do not have a system to move laundry/dishes/trash/anything into their inventory and out to navigate ladders with them (it makes ladders barely viable in my builds)

Sims 3 sims were way smarter than this and they do not need to put anything in their inventory as they climb the ladder with one hand and the other holding trash bag, plate of food or even cats, It seems that Maxis developed sims in Sims 4 to be a total opposite of the word "Smarter Sims" as they heavily advertised back then.

0u4yvwrjaho4pn7zg.jpg
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Smarter
    As long as those braindead creatures...

- walk all the way to the downstairs bathroom to prepare food on the counter there instead of using the perfectly good one in the kitchen,
    - stop on the way to the toilet to complain about how seriously they need to pee, dropping the solution to their problem out of their queue in the process,
    - are vegetarians, but autonomously decide to get meaty leftovers when vegetarian alternatives are available,
    - are vampires burning in the sun, but ignore your direct order to run inside in favour of finishing their current idle animation,
    - claim they can't use the fridge because another sim is currently taking something out, despite being far enough away from it that the other sim will be done by the time they get there,
    - claim they can't go somewhere despite absolutely nothing being the way,
    - casually chat with someone they just had a physical fight with (although the new sentiments system might correct that behaviour somewhat),
    - don't react to anything around them that doesn't specifically affect them,

... and do some other insanely stupid things on a regular basis that just won't come to my mind right now, I'm not sure why the other two poll options are even there. The "smarter sims" claim didn't just flop, it was the biggest lie in the history of The Sims.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Smarter
    izecson wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »
    they do not have a system to move laundry/dishes/trash/anything into their inventory and out to navigate ladders with them (it makes ladders barely viable in my builds)

Sims 3 sims were way smarter than this and they do not need to put anything in their inventory as they climb the ladder with one hand and the other holding trash bag, plate of food or even cats, It seems that Maxis developed sims in Sims 4 to be a total opposite of the word "Smarter Sims" as they heavily advertised back then.

0u4yvwrjaho4pn7zg.jpg

That is what upsets me so much about it. The autonomy worked in Sims 3 and they could still randomly die and do a million other things. What happened? (I do appreciate the less restricted furniture placement and things like double beds still being usable for two sims against the wall, not that I trust it to try and use it, but just the last few patches broke some of my stairs in EA builds like the Ward Den.)
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Smarter
    I never realized how bad the problem was until I played TS2. TS2 Sims have great AI. It seems that every update/patch we get, the dumber my Sims get as well.

The AI Sims have needs to be massively overhauled. I hate the graphics, quite basic Sims, and time anomalies of TS2, but in every other regard, it is miles better.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2020
    Smarter
    Let's see
    Simmies if you have leftovers in the fridge, why make a new meal.
    Simmies you have a perfectly good sink in the kitchen, don't go to the bathroom to wash those dishes.
    Simmies you just got into a fight with your neighbor and you despise them, this is not the time to ask how are you
    Simmies don't go outside to prepare the food when you have such lovely counters in the kitchen.
    Simmies you have a nice kitchen table, you don't have to go outside in the cold and eat at the backyard table.
    Simmies it is freezing outside, now is not the time to jump in the pool.

Yeah I can go on but you guys get the idea...

oh I just had to add this one...Simmies, you are at a restaurant, you don't get up and walk over to random sim tables and have conversations.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Smarter
    I'd like to see traits play a part in the decisions that sims make.

I see squeamish sims pick up dog poop, love outdoors sims stay inside, lazy sims doing chores, loner sims converse with strangers, evil sims being friendly and popular, the list goes on.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    Kaylen34 wrote: »

That brings to my mind an interesting idea. What if there was a skill cap on how many different skills your sim could learn? I did a bit of research and there are about 30+ skills our sims could learn and I think you're right: it is unrealistic that they would be able to learn them all. Though there were no limitations before, it might be good for gameplay if a sim couldn't learn everything but put a cap on it of say 10 or so after that if you want to learn something else you have to give up skills to learn a new one.