Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that can be done about Patreon content creators that never release their content?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Just a note about Patreon ...

I have an account just to follow creators. Most creators will post free links on public posts. There is no cost for me to create an account so I can follow my favorite CC Creators. This way I don't miss the free release.

I do contribute to Deaderpool for MCCC because I value this mod, I can ask questions and even suggest or contribute to what's included in the mod. I can access updates for the mod quickly when new packs and updates for the game come out. I don't have to wait for the public release. It's like buying them a coffee to say thank you. I would not play the game without their mod.

Not everyone can or will pay and that's okay. They are a creator that has full releases on another site.
  • Options
    antebellum13antebellum13 Posts: 183 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    Referring back to this comment: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16175450/#Comment_16175450

It just irritates me SO MUCH when I find something really nice and I can't download it because it's locked behind a Patreon tier level from months or even years ago. According to that post, Patreon users are welcome to charge a fee for "early access" to their content, but that it's expected the content to be released to the public within a few weeks. And yet I cannot even begin to tell you the number of content creators I've found on Patreon with content from last year that is still locked behind a ridiculous tier level. For instance, I wanted to download a door, just a simple door, from Dec. 2019, but it was locked behind one of the highest tier levels on that creator's Patreon. I know EA cannot police these creators. So what else can be done?

Sounds like you're talking about a door by Felixandresims here.

I support him on Patreon now, but I don't have strong feelings about this. He produces quality content so I think his prices are fair as they are similar to EA's. I want him to continue and I can afford it, so I pay. People who (for whatever reasons) can't/won't pay each month can just download things from new versions of "paysites must be destroyed." EA doesn't really care because they need modders to increase interest in the game and modders need money to motivate them (or allow them to have the time) to make content for the game. It's a bit difficult so I think the situation as it is now is almost optimal even though it would be better if creators released their creators to the public sooner.

No, not felixandresims, it was a different creator. The door in question was released December 2019 but in order to access it, the lowest tier I had to pay for to download it was $20/mo. For something released almost a year ago. I 100% am fine with CC creators charging for their early access content. I support several creators and script modders on Patreon. However, when the material is never released to the public, it feels a bit pretentious. Here these people are getting, in some cases, more money in a month than most of us get in our full time jobs (even if people are only paying the minimum tier, some of these creators have over 1500-2000 patrons paying a minimum of $3/mo), to create content that uses resources from a game that is not intellectually theirs. EA themselves have stated early access content needs to be released within 3 weeks. Just because they don't have the manpower to police this doesn't mean it's okay. If the police in your city are busy dealing with an event on one side of town, does that mean you should go rob a bank since the authorities don't have the ability to come arrest you? It's the morality that bothers me. Much of the CC is super high quality that you cannot find elsewhere, which is why I do patron several creators, because I like having immediate access to it. However, unless you have a lot of spending money leftover every month, to support every single great creator on Patreon would run your bank account dry. Yes, they are busy people, which is why I don't understand why they are not only ignoring the rule, but outright flaunting it when they keep things locked permanently. It's one thing to wait a couple months to release. It's another to charge folks $20/mo just to access content that is well beyond a couple months old.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Yea I agree with mostly everyone here. It's not that big of a deal if that's what they choose to do. it's just a personal annoyance as someone who really enjoys cc.
    The only thing to do is not support and move on to something free if I don't feel it's worth it. I definitely would not want strict rules and EA policing to hinder all the great cc and mods that are out there. Free or not. 😬
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    edited November 2020
    As I said I have never been deigned CC when I contact a creator. After the free release is out they have no problem helping me find what I am looking for. They send me a free link or send the file in an email no matter how old it is.

To me this is a dead issue unless I know what you are looking for and the creator.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited November 2020
    Referring back to this comment: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16175450/#Comment_16175450

It just irritates me SO MUCH when I find something really nice and I can't download it because it's locked behind a Patreon tier level from months or even years ago. According to that post, Patreon users are welcome to charge a fee for "early access" to their content, but that it's expected the content to be released to the public within a few weeks. And yet I cannot even begin to tell you the number of content creators I've found on Patreon with content from last year that is still locked behind a ridiculous tier level. For instance, I wanted to download a door, just a simple door, from Dec. 2019, but it was locked behind one of the highest tier levels on that creator's Patreon. I know EA cannot police these creators. So what else can be done?

Sounds like you're talking about a door by Felixandresims here.

I support him on Patreon now, but I don't have strong feelings about this. He produces quality content so I think his prices are fair as they are similar to EA's. I want him to continue and I can afford it, so I pay. People who (for whatever reasons) can't/won't pay each month can just download things from new versions of "paysites must be destroyed." EA doesn't really care because they need modders to increase interest in the game and modders need money to motivate them (or allow them to have the time) to make content for the game. It's a bit difficult so I think the situation as it is now is almost optimal even though it would be better if creators released their creators to the public sooner.

No, not felixandresims, it was a different creator. The door in question was released December 2019 but in order to access it, the lowest tier I had to pay for to download it was $20/mo. For something released almost a year ago. I 100% am fine with CC creators charging for their early access content. I support several creators and script modders on Patreon. However, when the material is never released to the public, it feels a bit pretentious. Here these people are getting, in some cases, more money in a month than most of us get in our full time jobs (even if people are only paying the minimum tier, some of these creators have over 1500-2000 patrons paying a minimum of $3/mo), to create content that uses resources from a game that is not intellectually theirs. EA themselves have stated early access content needs to be released within 3 weeks. Just because they don't have the manpower to police this doesn't mean it's okay. If the police in your city are busy dealing with an event on one side of town, does that mean you should go rob a bank since the authorities don't have the ability to come arrest you? It's the morality that bothers me. Much of the CC is super high quality that you cannot find elsewhere, which is why I do patron several creators, because I like having immediate access to it. However, unless you have a lot of spending money leftover every month, to support every single great creator on Patreon would run your bank account dry. Yes, they are busy people, which is why I don't understand why they are not only ignoring the rule, but outright flaunting it when they keep things locked permanently. It's one thing to wait a couple months to release. It's another to charge folks $20/mo just to access content that is well beyond a couple months old.

Oh okay, got it. I brought up felixandresims because I think he has content from last year locked behind a $20/mo paywall too. But I don't know of any creators who have all of their content locked behind a paywall. I don't support that and I don't want to defend them. But since EA's policy is not a law and since EA is not even clear about what exactly their policy is (2 weeks? 3 weeks? all content? some content?) and has decided not to enforce it at all, I don't think it can be compared to an actual crime that requires a police response. It's like jaywalking on a neighborhood street where there's never much traffic. Law violators will actually be angry if the police waste time enforcing that because people wonder if that kind of thing should be against the law in the first place. I think the same can be asked of EA, why say that you have policies that you don't care enough about to enforce? It's just for covering themselves.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    You shouldn’t be paying anything for mods. All mods should be free. I think EA should crack down on the patreon modders, especially since many of them are shady and not delivering content people are paying for.

Having the option to support/donate to a modder for their work is an entirely different story.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    Am I the only person here who thinks creators should be compensated for their time and trouble? I mean I don't work for free...
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    Am I the only person here who thinks creators should be compensated for their time and trouble? I mean I don't work for free...

They are working using other intellectual property, you can donate them all you like (and I commend some patreon modders(like zer0) who don't lock any of their sims 4 mods behind pay wall, all pledge are purely donation) but if their intention is to make money off of other entity's IP and deliberately breach the eula(still locking the content after 3 weeks period) that is the same as making an unlawful money, isn't it?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »

They are working using other intellectual property, you can donate them all you like (and I commend some patreon modders(like zer0) who don't lock any of their sims 4 mods behind pay wall, all pledge are purely donation) but if their intention is to make money off of other entity's IP and deliberately breach the eula(still locking the content after 3 weeks period) that is the same as making an unlawful money, isn't it?

To be clear, though, I don't think the actual EULA says anything about a 3 week period.

I could be confused, but I really don't think it gives a time period like that at all. A guru just posted that on the forums, which isn't the same. The money creators earn also isn't unlawful as there aren't any laws, in the U.S. at least, making this kind of stuff illegal. Of course, EA could sue them, but that doesn't mean that what they did is criminal (even though suing would be unwise because the costs would probably outweigh EA's recovery) I'm not trying to play lawyer, but I'm just saying... I think this can be a complicated issue and it's not worth anyone's time to sort it out, especially not EA's.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Another issue with patreon creators are the ones who convert player created content from other games. An unfortunate amount of CC can be traced back to games like Second Life, and putting those meshes behind a paywall seems really unfair to the artists who actually made them.

But yeah, some people let the whole “I couldn’t play this without your mods!” thing go to their heads. The amount of people who treat modding/cc making like an actual career and expect living wages are getting weird. I know some modders earn that much, but imagine if every guy at the bar playing cover song on his guitar or every actor in local theatre productions quit their day job to try to make a career of it!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member

To be clear, though, I don't think the actual EULA says anything about a 3 week period.

I could be confused, but I really don't think it gives a time period like that at all. A guru just posted that on the forums, which isn't the same. The money creators earn also isn't unlawful as there aren't any laws, in the U.S. at least, making this kind of stuff illegal. Of course, EA could sue them, but that doesn't mean that what they did is criminal (even though suing would be unwise because the costs would probably outweigh EA's recovery) I'm not trying to play lawyer, but I'm just saying... I think this can be a complicated issue and it's not worth anyone's time to sort it out, especially not EA's.

It doesn't. Maxis said the three week period to be nice.

If Maxis would not be nice, then the sims4 would not accept .packages or scripts. And EA would send you a cease and desist if you would make custom script mods.

There is no way EA could pursue these mod creators legally without pursuing all of them.

• Options
    logion wrote: »

It doesn't. Maxis said the three week period to be nice.

If Maxis would not be nice, then the sims4 would not accept .packages or scripts. And EA would send you a cease and desist if you would make custom script mods.

There is no way EA could pursue these mod creators legally without pursuing all of them.

I wouldn't describe sending cease and desists as "not being nice." That's just counterproductive and the EULA allows for mods - so not accepting certain files isn't the issue here. EA made the game easy to mod because an active modding community makes the game more successful. So why would they waste time and money sending people cease and desist letters when these modders help sell their products?

EA is also free to pick and choose who to pursue. When people used programs like Napster to download music (which is a different issue), the RIAA picked people at random to go after. It was a PR disaster. But the point is that EA could make an example out of someone if EA wants, but it's a dumb thing to do, so EA won't. Doing so would cost them money, hurt their reputation, and hurt the modding community that sells their game. EA is actually being smart about this by not getting involved.
  • Options
    AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    I feel people are just using the three week rule to justify their annoyance rather than actually being concerned about the rule breaking. There are plenty of CC creators who don’t lock their content behind a paywall, go download from them rather than getting hung up on the ones that want to be compensated. Just like if you wanted something free from an artist you’d look for someone who does request rather than bothering the one who does commissions.