Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care for Paralives?

OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
I've seen a lot of dividing opinions on Paralives, some people think it's the best thing since slice bread and will be the "saviour of life simulators" whilst others are more doubtful on it. I wanted to create a poll to see how people actually feel, so, do you care for Paralives?

Do you care for Paralives? 183 votes

Yes
37%
icmnfrshMstybl95MadameLeeIsb917ncisGibbs02DTM_Derrickcleo224Gothangelakaniki0GemSixxteamjenSonata13Singerwolfkomoki1kristenleighwhiteTrashmagicannaliese39M13Vulpeculapandabear1836BlueSpaarkleandersson01 68 votes
No
26%
EvvieSimmerLeGardePourpreCamkatPlayerSinger2010g01denswanalanmichael1KennziKaigeMissyHissysmurf45blueelelunicyBabykittyjadeFinvolaSimsChica2013mintycupcakeWinifred_WillowOnverserSigzy05Sims4MagicalTalespandie00BlueOvale 48 votes
Meh
21%
lisamwittZhakiraPMariefoxprice83FlashMarkerdreamerz13IObelleArmy008Torieashcrash19gc6164CoryMachpammiechickMissmagoo2DeKayEnkiSchmidtLoanetBlackorchidMMXBroncos4lifeTamakiSakura84 39 votes
Other...
15%
maggiemae8135simgirl1010CororonphantasmkissCAPTAIN_NXR7texxx78OldeseadoggeDaniRose2143comicsforlifehappyopiGrumpyGlowfishBehappy1stlogionRememberJoyRandie_ReignsizecsonBecka28cody6268L33tP33tNWbella_goth 28 votes

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    No
    For me I'm very doubtful on it, I don't necessarily think it's a scam but I think they're making a lot of promises and just telling people exactly what they want to hear to get as many donations in as possible. They've shown things like raising desks and customizing the size and height of everything but how is this gonna work in play? How will the characters interact with these items? At current there's no open testing and gameplay seems to be in very early development, have they actually thought about how these things will work?

Plus I think a lot of people have forgot it's an indie game not a big development, it could take years to be finished if it ever is and if it does will it be fun? I just think some people are very overenthusiastic about it and it's turning into wishful thinking rather than reality.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Yes
    Of course, the game is still in its early development phase so it's going to be difficult to tell how well it is going to compete against a 20-year-old life simulator franchise developed by a multibillion dollar company.

What I believe a number of enthusiastic people are expecting out of the emergence of Paralives is this competition it introduces to the life-simulating genre of video games (which has been almost entirely dominated by EA throughout these years) and not just solely limited to what features this rivalry game is going to offer to consumers, but also how EA is changing their current development tactics as a response.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2020
    Other...
    I care because it's another life simulator game and it's interesting to see what other people can do with that genre, for example adding features that Maxis doesn't seem interested in adding to the sims4.

But I don't expect this to be a huge competitor, they don't have the budget for that. It could maybe be a fun, small game to play if you want to play another game. I also hope that people don't have too large expectations.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    No
    I like the style but there is no gameplay yet.
    We don't know how will be the life in this game.

The Sims is more than a Build Mode or Second Life.

In term of "Life simulation" , Cyberpunk 2077 is more what I'm looking for : a "Real" life with a sci-fi theme.

I'm a little tired of the cute peaceful perfect world.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    No
    I've other games to play.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes
    I am keeping an open mind about Paralives for now as it is far too early to judge. I don't necessarily expect it to be my new favourite game, but I like what I have seen so far and I am interested to see how it develops.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Meh
    It has as much potential as anything else. Savior, though? That is definitely jumping to conclusions. Keep an open mind for sure, it may be great, but it is not an established IP with a reputation to go off of. Levying such high expectations on it hurts everyone when it might otherwise be a perfectly serviceable game.

Whatever your qualms with 4, theoretically it has the past and the deep pockets to do something. If that is not living up to expectations for whatever reason, do not expect to get it all from an indie title. Just be thrilled if you do.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 339 Member
    Meh
    I have no interest in following Paralives until they announce a release date and demo actual gameplay.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    Yes
    I'm very interested in the game right now. Just last night, I was checking their progress. They've been very open with how their development is going so far and I hope it'll be a good example of a modern-day life simulator. I think it's too early to dismiss a game in pre-alpha and I'm especially interested in getting a life simulator game that isn't associated with EA.

That being said, I will have caution in getting too enthusiastic about it since people expect this to compete with The Sims 4 and while it has put more detail into the game than TS4 has (a taking shoes off animation in the house, for example), it's still definitely got a ways to go. It's also an indie game, which are generally known to be smaller. It's obvious from watching the gameplay they've released that open world is not planned for the game. The worlds themselves also seemed to be smaller than even TS4's, but this may be expanded upon.

I'll patiently wait, but if it ever comes out, I'll be looking into the gameplay of it first.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Meh
    I'm sort of following it and will see what comes of it. But so far I'm not that interested in it, what they've shown so far hasn't really wowed me that much but maybe it will be better when it's done. I mostly just want to see more competition in sim type games to drive better games because I'm fed up with where we're at now but I also know it's unlikely as this is an indie game, whatever happens with it, and EA is absolutely massive. It just won't have the same resources or player base to pose much of a threat to EA. I mean, it's possible, sometimes indies really take off but that's the exception not the norm so I'm not putting too much into this.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Other...
    I am interested in what they are doing but to be honest Sims 4 fill up all my needs in regards to this kind of games. IF they can do better then I will consider moving on. Until then I will only keep an eye on them.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No
    No. I have no personal interest I'm a simmer for life no matter what they show me. I wish the game well though. I just think there are going to be a LOT of dissapointed people. They are dreaming up this grand scale sims 2/sims 3 perfect combination dream that's going to solve all of their sims 4 frustrations in an indie game. And they are also putting a lot of unhealthy pressure of the developer to compete. It's all paralives fan talk about.
    "Omg sims 4 could never"
    "This will blow sims 4 out of the water"
    "I can't wait till you show those lazy sims 4 devs how to make a real game"
    "Wow you have two suns! Sims only has one!"
    Etc etc.

A lot of people are pouring their Hopes,dreams,frustrations and sims disappointments into it. Instead of supporting and encouraging the dev to creatively do his own thing his own way. Just something I observed.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited November 2020
    Other...
    I'm not interested in the game "as is" because the art style simply does not appeal to me. The Parafolk do not seem to be very expressive and for me personally that means a great deal. There is a lack of uniqueness in their features and I feel that the developers still have a long way to go before they can get the aesthetics to a standard that I'm comfortable with. Sorry Maggie.

That being said, I appreciate Alex Masse's ambition and I'm very interested in the development of the game as an indie life simulator. Unless a huge mainstream game company decides to buy it and take over development, I can't see it "replace" The Sims franchise anytime soon.
    After all, this is a life simulator we're talking about and it's safe to say that -if done right- it's probably one of the most if not the most complex genres out there in the game development industry. Trying to virtually recreate every aspect of human life is not an easy feat, especially with the high (PC) demands that are currently being thrown at companies.

I doubt that those who are not pleased with TS4 are going to be satisfied with Paralives as a full replacement. It's gonna lack, because I don't think it can offer everything that the sims games have offered so far, including TS4.

What I do find interesting is that it seems to have opened up discussions not only within the Sims fan base but at EA/Maxis too.
    I'm talking split levels, 'liberated' doors and windows and of course takin' off the shoes shoes in the home.

Sure taking off the shoes shoes in Paralives looks much fancier than that weird thing in SE, but I can guarantee that 90% of the Paralives playerbase is gonna get sick to their teeth waiting for the dude to take off his sneakers every single time he walks in the door. Because if you already lost patience with TS4, you probably will lose patience with someone taking off their shoes in that manner. And what if they're wearing boots? That's going to take even longer. You'll probably get so frustrated that you just want a mod that makes them not take off their shoes. 'Dude, just walk. That's right, you don't even have to wipe your feet.'
    Personally I can watch someone take off their shoes all day long. And put them back on again.

I hope Paralives does well for what it is, but I don't expect it to be big just yet. Do I care? 'Care' is a big word isn't it?
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Other...
    At its current state not really, the Parafolks introduction was a bit turn off on my side I hope they improve the artstyle because they really stand out(in a bad way) than the rest of the game's artystyles.

If it turns out to be good, not only players will have more choice when it comes picking a life simulator games it will also create healthy competition* so that Maxis won't be recycling feature from the previous packs and call it as new stuff.

*if they didn't give up like they do with SimCity just because City Skylines exist)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Other...
    Sure taking off the shoes shoes in Paralives looks much fancier than that weird thing in SE, but I can guarantee that 90% of the Paralives playerbase is gonna get sick to their teeth waiting for the dude to take off his sneakers every single time he walks in the door. Because if you already lost patience with TS4, you probably will lose patience with someone taking off their shoes in that manner. And what if they're wearing boots? That's going to take even longer. You'll probably get so frustrated that you just want a mod that makes them not take off their shoes. 'Dude, just walk. That's right, you don't even have to wipe your feet.'
    Personally I can watch someone take off their shoes all day long. And put them back on again.

the paralives folk taking off the shoes doesn't take soo long either. and the best thing of its animation is that at least the shoe dematerialize, which means it's just giving a hint of the action so doesn't matter what it takes out of the feet, it can be boots or heels or sneakers or whatever.
    sims been making things magically appear out of thin air, but at least with the parafolk we also have a new animation, and perhaps it's optional.
    2b92f9cc8f996949f6f0d25d2be0f93e7ab7cf88.gifv
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Other...
    I will have to wait and see more of it. For now, i don't think it looks nothing compared to the sims. At all! It does addresses some features that were asked for in the sims and that we don't have in the sims. But for me it's not enough. At least, until we get to see some actual gameplay and sim's personality mechanics. I think people aren't really aware of sim's 4 capabilities... there are of course stuff that we don't have in sims 4 but there are so many things that we do have! Will paralives have it all? Let's see...
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited November 2020
    Other...
    bella_goth wrote: »

the paralives folk taking off the shoes doesn't take soo long either. and the best thing of its animation is that at least the shoe dematerialize, which means it's just giving a hint of the action so doesn't matter what it takes out of the feet, it can be boots or heels or sneakers or whatever.
    sims been making things magically appear out of thin air, but at least with the parafolk we also have a new animation, and perhaps it's optional.
    @bella_goth
    It is true that the Paralives shoes dematerialize, which works well for any shoe, so my boots arguments doesn’t hold water.

I still believe that the paralives animation does take a bit longer though. The comparison gifs do not seem to play at the same frame rate, (PL playing smooth, Sims not) but I will need to double check in-game. Again, personally I’m all for the PL kind of animation, I just see it becoming another speed through action...Do note that the same or similar animation needs to be applied before leaving the house, which will add extra time again.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Other...
    bella_goth wrote: »

@bella_goth
    It is true that the Paralives shoes dematerialize, which works well for any shoe, so my boots arguments doesn’t hold water.

I still believe that the paralives animation does take a bit longer though. The comparison gifs do not seem to play at the same frame rate, (PL playing smooth, Sims not) but I will need to double check in-game. Again, personally I’m all for the PL kind of animation, I just see it becoming another speed through action...Do note that the same or similar animation needs to be applied before leaving the house, which will add extra time again.

most likely the taking off shoes thing will be optional alongside many other features.
    it may be me but these kind of details are one of the sims 2 charms that got lost in the next sims games. it sure is an extra effort for the developers but in the case of the shoes they went ahead and did the animation.
    some people says the cloud animation in ts4 is to keep the creative line of the sims games like the clothes spin, but man, even the cloud looks wonky. ts4 is so known for making objects appear and disappear on thin air, what did it cost to make the sim bend and pretend to take off the shoe??
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Other...
    It's hard for me to care, let alone be excited about a potential competitor for TS4 that, so far, has shown us nothing other than what TS4 itself is already pretty good at: Nice-looking graphics. I guess it's cool that you can make curved walls and change the sizes of individual objects, but how will the parasims interact with them? Will there be an animation for every single possible size of every object? Will parasims even be able to interact with them at all? Unless it's just a building simulator (and that's honestly what it looks like at the moment), how will this game work?

It's all very superficial. As others have said before, we don't know anything about the gameplay yet, and honestly, I predict it won't be that good. In fact, I predict that Paralives will be to disappointed TS4 fans what The Evil Within was to disappointed Resident Evil fans: Something to get them excited because it's similar enough to the game it was inspired by, while deliberately avoiding the pitfalls of said game, but in doing so it will neglect other aspects and not turn out as great as everybody wanted it to be.

All that said, I'm still glad Paralives exists. Maybe the mere thought of having a competitor, even if it ultimately falls flat, will be enough to put some much-need fire under the butts of the TS4 developers to up their own game.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    No
    Honestly? Not really. I mean, of course I want to see the game succeed since the creators are putting forth a lot of time and money. But as for me, I have no interest in the actual game itself.

The art/graphic style does not appeal to me, at all I mean, yeah it's cute and all, but it just... I don't know. I don't really like it. I'm trying to be lenient since the Paralives team aren't a big company with a super big budget, but the style is just not cutting it for me.

The animations seem cool so far, but... that's honestly it. And that's not enough to pique my interest. As others have said, we haven't even see any gameplay or how the Parafolk may or may not interact.
  • OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 45 Member
    No
    I like life simulation games, so I will buy it if it's good. However, right now I'm not really interested. I agree with what people said about unrealistic expectations. I'm sure that no matter how good this game is going to be, a lot of people will be disappointed.

Also, this isn't entirely on the devs, but there is a certain sleaziness to having a heavily Sims inspired game, one that draws many ideas from The Sims series and marketing it as better than The Sims 4 and having all those things The Sims 4 is lacking. It's just opportunistic. They come to this huge fanbase and use its frustration for their own profit.
    (and I say it as somebody who definitely thinks The Sims 4 is the weakest link in the entire franchise)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Other...
    we don't know anything about it yet
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • VeganZebraVeganZebra Posts: 32 Member
    Yes
    I can't wait for paralives. I think it will be an amazing game. Also joined the discord.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Meh
    Obviously, it would be nice to have a competitor with the sims franchise, however... I'm not really hopeful.
    Fingers are crossed that it does turn out to be an awesome game, but meh.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/