Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orchids and Spliced Plants

I'm trying to understand if this is a glitch or a game feature...
When your sim takes a cutting of a plant in order to graft it onto another plant, does it always work, or he/she has to try it many times until he has the expected combination?

The problem is, my sim grafted cherry to apple, and when the cursor hovers over the resulting plant it says "Pomegranate". And we can harvest pomegranate from it (It looks like the grafting worked)

But when he grafted lily to snapdragon, when the cursor hovers over the resulting plant it says "Spliced Plant" (snapdragon, orchid, and lily) and we can only harvest snapdragons from it... (???) (The grafting didn't work or is it a glitch?)

The same happened to grafting strawberry to snapdragon, it says "Spliced Plant" (snapdragon, dragon fruit, and strawberry) and we can only harvest snapdragons from it... (???)

I tried inverting the order of the grafting (grafting snapdragon to strawberry) and it says "Spliced Plant" (strawberry, dragon fruit, and snapdragon).

Is it possible to harvest orchids and dragon fruits?

Comments

• SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited February 2019
    @Leo2009SSA Since the gardening overhaul right before seasons splicing is 'broken'... sort of. It just does not work the same as before for creating rare fruits and flowers. People have said they got a plant to successfully produce the desired fruit after many tries. To me it makes more sense to purchase rare fruit seed packs until you get what you want. Or you can download my orchid and dragonfruit plants from the gallery. This thread may be useful for you: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16787640#Comment_16787640
    Post edited by SheriGR on
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    No, it's not a glitch, it's as intended, unfortunately. When they did the gardening overhaul before Seasons came out, they changed the splicing rules for rare plants. There is now only a 1% chance you'll get the rare plant you desired from splicing. It's my personal opinion and the opinion of others that percentage is WAY too low. I have hopes that the Devs will tweak that to up the percentage at least a little bit. I've yet to get an Orchid from splicing, or a Bird of Paradise for that matter and probably 95% of my Sims have/had gardens spliced for those.

I gave up on trying for Dragonfruit from splicing a long time ago because I can get them consistently while fishing at the pier in Magnolia Promenade. You can also fish them up by going to the middle fishing spot in the very back of Magnolia Blossom park in Willow Creek. Ditto for Birds of Paradise, I stopped trying to splice for them because I can get them at the Romance Festival now. I have managed to get Orchids, once. But not from splicing, from picking the pockets for seeds of Patchy the Scarecrow. That's another good way to get rare seeds. :)
  • bela4bela4 Posts: 78 Member
    I have been waiting on an orchid for 3 in game years now. This is ridiculous.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    No glitch in my game. I graft all the time. Its just does not always produce all 3 harvestibles. Might have to wait several days to get what you want. What I do is if I want orchids I splice 3 plants so I get 3-6 chances per day to get an orchid. I also reverse the splice so I really have 6-12 chances to get what I spliced for with two harvests per day. It also helps to get the "Gardening Plants, All Seasons, No Glow, and 10 Harvestables Mod" by MonoChaos

It's updated and free ...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/gardening-plants-38050795
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I'm pretty sure you can harvest orchids at the Romance festival if you have City Living and orchids are in season (Spring, Winter).
    You can also get orchids by downloading a room from the gallery.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 339 Member
    Just to add to the above, if you complete the space rocks collection, you will get an orchid in the mail. That's how I originally obtained one.
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    I never got an orchid from splicing but I did get a dragon fruit, so it does work sometimes. I eventually got my orchid from purchasing rare seeds, but it wasn’t as satisfying.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    No problems here. I have a great mod that increases harvestables to 8-10 per harvest. I love that mod.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.