Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening - what do you plant?

Comments

• Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I think because I love to garden IRL, is why I have my SIMS garden. Especially my "workaholic" SIMS. I look at gardening for busy SIMS as a way to relax. I don't have ITF, but I do use the pots indoors. I also take advantage of the Swiftgro set as well as greenhouses. Sprinklers as well. With some plants, especially if I do not have a supernatural SIM, I leave out of the fence and let the Zombies have at it. The coffee beans and alchemy plants are the ones I'll leave out for the Zombies. I should probably take more pictures when I have a nice garden but I usually forget. In Appoloosa Plains, I'll create a farmer SIM and use all sorts of plants and decor as well as the tractor for those SIMS.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    @starguru I tried Saturenorn once. It's, again, very creative, but I'd like it more if I could have it in green and force the snow via Tempest or constant winter. Eh, I'm not even sure you spoke of it, but I had to think of it when you talked about crystals.
    I haven’t come up with a good story idea to play out in Saturenorn yet, so it’s just been sitting in my folder. I have used some of the content in other worlds though. I have a made-over LL save where I use a lot of alien/fantasy ND skins, including the Saturnornian skin, as well as a couple Saturenorn builds. And OFC there are the crystal trees which I’ve used in various fantasy-based saves. I haven’t had a chance to do more than take a quick peek at Crowkeeper’s Mermaidia either, which I do have story plans for. :/ I wish I had more time to devote to the game, lol.
    Turjan wrote: »
    Okay, I tried the green dragon. I guess that one takes the cake. You level gardening like nothing by just speaking with it, and you even get full skill credit for its harvests. Yikes.

Anyway, I had Story Progression marry off one of my SV founder's grandsons to someone who was a few days short of elder. I went to Oasis Landing to work on a solution, preferably Ambrosia. Problem: there were just 4 days left. The older spouse had cooking mastered, fishing at level 5 and no gardening at all (the younger one only had cooking and fishing 3). To level fishing took a rather long time, even with the tablet, but for gardening, I used this:
    nYhZeE0.jpg
    The setup is ridiculous. I had the couple look for seeds, and they found 8 special ones between them, with one of them turning out to be a life plant. With that setup, it took about 4 ingame hours from seed to harvest. :lol:
    The gardening station waters, the included composter weeds and fertilizes. The green dragon harvests and fertilizes. Both somehow push the plants to the next stages. Maybe something if you play on super short lifespans.
    Reading the Ambrosia recipe took longer than getting the life fruit (after the seed had been found) :smiley: .
    RE: leveling fishing... Did you listen to the fishing tabcast while actively fishing to speed the skill gain rate? If not, stacking the two would be worthwhile at those higher levels.

I have always kept baby dragons exclusively to my fantasy saves, and never tried combining dragon abilities with the SwiftGro. IIRC, using the PVZ Sunflower’s sunlight for composting with the SwiftGro is what pushes the plants to the next stage faster. With the baby green dragons able to do that too... that's insane. :joy:

With that sweet setup you have there, all you need now is an omni plant to replicate deathfish faster for ambrosia. Catch a deathfish, feed it to an omni plant, do a speed growth/harvest routine, feed the omni again with one of the harvested deathfish, breed the others in aquariums, analyze and clone more from samples... Using various combinations of these methods, my households end up eating ambrosia every week just for the moodlet. :p

Anyway, now I’m considering experimenting with a fairy-vampire hybrid whose nighttime pursuits will include using bloom and a baby green dragon to grow and harvest the massive amounts of plasma fruits needed for plasma nectar, using omni plants. :lol:
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    @MamaSimTee Heh, do the zombies get any herb effects? Appaloosa Plains is still a town I have to play. It looked quite well laid out when I had a short glimpse at it in-game.

@starguru Yes, I stack the tabcast with the fishing. Nevertheless, the last fishing levels take a while. That's usually not an issue in my game, but in this case, time was pressing :smiley: .

Regarding the ability of dragons to push plants to the next stage, I may have misspoken. I forgot that the SwiftGro Station sometimes pushes by itself, even without using the Composter. What the dragon does is give you that insane push to level gardening, because the automatic harvest - it harvests the whole garden at once - counts for the skill gain as if your sim had harvested all of that by hand. I had two sims max out gardening, and the first time, I didn't even know what had just happened.

Anyway, you can use the dragon to harvest the garden, then use the Composter loaded with sunshine to weed, fertilize and push the garden to the harvest stage again. The dragon the has its cooldown, usually in the minutes, but it's less than an hour to wait for the next harvest. Removing barren plants and replanting those is what takes the longest time, and given plants have a limited amount of harvests, you have to do that all the time. Douglasveiga's "replant interaction" helps at least with the former (the whole interaction usually bugs out if you don't actively control the sim and go one plant at a time, but at least the stacked removals usually happen).

Hmm, deathfish omni plants. Do those grow on them (death flowers don't)? Don't you also need seeds for those omni plants, plus "train" the new ones each time? I never got the opportunity for omni plants, so I could never try them out. I just use ponds for deathfish. You can just fish them all day round then. I have angelfish and alley catfish in the same pond.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I seem to end up with a garden in EVERY game no matter what - not sure why, other than the fact that I like the gardening? Maybe? I tend to be a creature of habit and early on when we were all doing our legacy challenges (grin), gardening was an easy way to boost those simoleons. Go to the park, find a seed or harvest an apple tree and ta da! You have income. lol I plant whatever I can based on skill level and once they're level 10, I plant whatever I feel like. Y'all are very creative tho... I have the soil rugs but never seem to use them; I have the greenhouse and never seem to use that either, although I use the swift gro station all the time (saves all that watering time). Next time I play, I think I'll plant a garden indoors just because I can. Or that rooftop garden maybe, that was cool. Or that treehouse garden... See what you've done?? lol

I don't try to make a science out of it, or even plan out the most lucrative crops. I just enjoy having the garden and the cooking and alchemy ingredients to hand when I want them. I sell everything else and enjoy the increased funds as well.
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Surreal wrote: »
    I don't try to make a science out of it, or even plan out the most lucrative crops. I just enjoy having the garden and the cooking and alchemy ingredients to hand when I want them. I sell everything else and enjoy the increased funds as well.

This is my style as well. Unless I give them the "Perfect Garden" LTW which is easy to do, I just plant what they pick up and let them enjoy their time.

<insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Turjan - Yeah, raising the fishing skill can feel like it's taking forever. Even when stacking the angler trait along with fishing plus the fishing tabcast, it takes something like eight sim-hours altogether just to complete that final level.

Ha! Speaking of not knowing what had happened... the first time I used the green dragon was in one of my big garden lots. We’re talking 2-3 plants of every type. I was expecting a limited AOE (I’d assumed the dragon would be functionally similar to the harvester invention), so when my game stuttered/froze for a couple seconds as the personal inventory was jammed with produce, and then plants were immediately pushed into their harvest states again, I was stunned. I didn’t even register the massive skill gain at first. :lol:

I assume you have the large recycle bin nearby to reduce routing time when disposing of the barren plants? Or maybe you could have a second Sim available to do the removal while your gardener replants... although I suppose that would mess with your replant interaction mod. One solution might be to use a community lot. Plants grown there don’t become barren or die (the one exception being death flower plants). Otherwise, you could try a mod that allows your plants to live longer/produce more harvests before becoming barren, or use the plant state change commands in NRaas DE.

Yup, fish can be grown on omni plants, and when harvested from them will be of the same quality as the one you fed to it, regardless of the quality of the omni plant itself. Omnis can also replicate everything that normally grows on plants or trees, except for death flowers. (ETA: However, produce will be of the same quality as the omni plant itself, so don't feed perfect fruit/veg to a lower quality omni unless you want lower quality fruit/veg.) I feed omnis plasma fruit when I have vampires, because omni plants generate a higher yield than the plasma fruit plants themselves.

Omnis can also reproduce links, roasts, tofu, kelp, honey and beeswax (although IIRC these will always be of normal quality, even with a perfect omni plant). They can grow some non-food items too: books, teddy bears, children’s toys and the toy inventions, candles and rubber duckies. :joy:

Some omni’s fed various foods/grocery store items:

grocery.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

A couple “KinderGardens” with playground toys and teddy bears:

KGplayground.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

KGbears.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And the SV library’s Garden of Knowledge where you can “pick” ( :p ) something to read:

GKlibrary.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There’s a preexisting omni plant at the science facility in SV if you want to experiment with feeding one, and you don’t need to have the opportunity chain completed or have any gardening skill. But yes, you will need seeds to plant your own omnis, unless you use the omni auto-soil from buydebug. You’re given some seeds (three?) for your own use upon completing the final opportunity, and can order more through the mail once daily after that. The quality of seeds you receive varies.

Back in the days of the omni seed/mailbox bug, my workaround was to place omni seeds in a WA chest on a small lot, save the lot to the Library bin and then place a few copies around town for my Sim to collect. :lol: Shortly after, I expanded on the idea and started creating perfect gardens with all plants that also included WA chests containing omni plant seeds and death flowers. OFC, now we have the option to clone seeds from samples and improve them with the research station. Or nag them to perfection with the SwiftGro. :p There are also a few mods out there that allow you to buy omni seeds from the grocery store. I’m not sure what you mean by “train” the plants though?

I use MC to force the omni-related opportunities if they don’t pop up on their own in the time frame I want. And I used to always do the same thing as you do with death/angel fish in home ponds; now I only use the method occasionally. When Seasons was released and frozen ponds became a thing, I started looking for alternatives. Hence my solutions of community gardens now containing mature omni plants ready to be fed deathfish, cloning deathfish with the research station and/or breeding them in aquariums. I only need to catch a few death fish as starters—assuming I don’t place a lot containing a perfect omni plant that’s already been fed perfect deathfish—and allow them to multiply on their own in a tank. Once I have some surplus, I will still sometimes yeet a bunch into a pond. It just depends on what path I feel like taking to accomplish the goal. :smile:
    Post edited by starguru on
  • Options
    @Surreal and @MamaSimTee That's a very relaxed way to go at it. For me, if my family moves to a lot with a garden, I feel somehow compelled to look after it. Which makes me hesitant to play rotationally in Lunar Lakes, as every second residential lot there has an often relatively large pre-planted garden :lol: . I should probably just ignore it and let the plants die, but I usually can't do that - unless I'm not aware of it in the first place :wink: .

@starguru Oh, yes, I didn't even know what happened to my sim :smiley: .
    Yes, I have the recycling bin in a location that minimizes routes. The "replant" interaction from the mod I mentioned does away with that part, btw. The barren plant just goes "poof".
    Ha ha, I love your omni plant gardens :smile: Awesome. Can kids actually harvest the teddy bears, or do they need help from older sims? (Well, or use a mod... :smiley: )
    Yes, I tried the omni plant at the SV science lab, but it didn't work for me. I tried to feed it with something (I think it was a book and later a life fruit), and while it looked like the action went through, nothing happened. With "training" I meant this process of feeding the plant.
    My actual question though was how long those omni plants last. How many harvests do you get out of them, if they aren't standing on a community lot?
    Cloning for the win. In one of my houses I just had a shelf with everything I needed (I think the fish had to lie on the floor though :lol: ). "There's an ugly, rotting fish on your bedroom floor" - "Yes, I know, isn't it awesome?"
    Anyway, you're right, there are often many options to reach the same goal, and combining different expansions and store content sometimes gets crazy results. There's a reason why many of my family members are scientists and witches.
  • Options
    @Turjan -

Ah, I thought the barren plants might disappear with that replant mod, but wasn’t sure. Good deal!

Haha, thanks! Omni plants can be pretty entertaining. :smiley: Although I wish fish-fed omni plants in their harvest state looked like they used to.

They used to look like this (not my image):
    OmniFish.jpg

They’re like this now (these are lobsters):
    fishomni.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Kids can’t garden in an ummodded game, but in my game they can, lol. Although I admit, the KinderGardens were more for visual aesthetics in that case and not intended to be harvested. I think omni’s containing toys and teddy bears are cute and I like to have them at my daycares. When harvested, there’s a surplus of items to stock the toy boxes, and my Sims can gift some to the children they babysit too. :mrgreen:

It sounds like your science lab omni was bugged. :/ That’s too bad; I learned a lot just by experimenting with that plant. Every once in awhile one of mine will derp out, but I can usually fix it with DE. On the rare occasions I can’t and it’s on a community lot, I will replace it with the buydebug omni. On residential lots, I just trash it and start over with a new seed. Omni seeds and perfect omni plants are much easier to come by now than they used to be.

IMXP, an omni plant will typically produce 7-8 harvests on a home lot before going barren. However, that total is dependent on how many items the omni produces each time, as omni’s have a lifetime hard limit of 25 objects per plant. This is why I generally prefer to place them on community lots, or even unowned residential ones, where the limit doesn’t apply.

LMAO at the fish on the floor of your cloned house! :joy: “So honey, what do you think of this place?” “OMG! How can you even ask such a question? Did you see the fish on the bedroom floor?? We’re buying this house just for that feature alone!” :lol:

Yup, options are great. Sometimes I prefer to deliberately take a less-than-optimal route and other times I min-max. Efficacy vs. efficiency, and all that. Regardless of my intentions for any given save, I do like combining content/features from all the packs and Store stuff—I can’t imagine not having everything installed.

Scientist witches are awesome; the skill sets are highly complementary, and since alchemy was the precursor to chemistry, it all flows together well. I love witches in general though, particularly witch hybrids. Do you play any hybrid scientists, or use witches exclusively?
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited November 2020
    @starguru - That "robot-fish" omni-plant is hilarious. I keep thinking that propeller tail is gonna start spinning and carry off the plant altogether. Too bad they don't look like that now. :( Oh, well... I should start messing with some omni-plants. Will figure out how to feed them so that they reproduce what was fed. I wonder if one can also feed microchips (in robot making) to them so that you can make more microchips. Right now the only way that my sims can make them is to construct a nanite and reverse-engineer the bugger.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Nikkei_Simmer - Lol, IKR? I think it would be awesome to see bicycles growing on them! :lol: And can you just imagine if they grew pianos? Or cars? :o I’d be happy enough with omni-grown laptops and tablets, and would line the pathways at Uni with them. :p

But yeah, it’s a bummer fish omni plants don’t look as cool as the others. I wish I knew what had changed and why. Another downer is that a fairy’s bloom ability no longer works on omni plants either. :anguished: As of patch 1.42 it did, but something must have been broken along the way. :/

Omni plants have a feed interaction when they’re in the mature stage and able to be fed. When you click on it, your Sim’s personal inventory will open up in another window. It’s from this list that you choose what you want to feed the omni. If the interaction is greyed out, it means you have nothing feedable in your inventory. In my previous post with my various omni screenshots, the paragraph above the pictures lists everything I’ve ever found that is feedable. And I’ve tried lots of things over time. Seeds, gnomes, scrap metal, baseballs... all no go. I was a little surprised to see that the candles and rubber ducks made the list, but bubble bath did not.

Unfortunately, microchips, nanites, processors and crystal flowers didn’t make the list either. With DE you can cheat chips into existence or make them on the bot machine without using ingredients, but I know of no legit gameplay way to speed the process.

ETA: I should mention that you need to make sure you don’t have stacks upon stacks of fish or harvestables in your personal inventory when you go to feed an omni plant. All items in your inventory will show as single items in a scrollable window so you can choose which one to feed the plant. The sheer number of items there can cause the selection window to fail, so you won’t be able to feed your omni. Reducing the number of inventory items will help avoid this, as well as make it easier for you to find the item you want to feed it.
    Post edited by starguru on
  • Options
    @starguru Those old fish plants look hilarious :smiley: . Sad to see that change. I'm not even sure, isn't the new behavior similar to what happens if you put fish into a fish bowl or aquarium? Same on the floor, where they look tiny.

I may just try out the behavior with some plants from buydebug. My SV is, again, a bit full for gardening experiments that drive RAM usage up, and most of the other worlds I play in have combo rabbitholes at one point in the opportunity chain, which causes the opportunities to break. But yeah, putting them on community lots should solve at least some issues.

Same here regarding options. I may try out everything at least once, but that doesn't mean I always have to go the full monty. I have my sims with a few planter bowls and a watering can in their hand.

Regarding hybrids, I have the mod installed, but I still haven't produced any. Given I mostly just have witches, vampires and IF's in my game, witches and vampires would be the most obvious hybrid candidates (not sure if IF's work at all; plus, they are an "uninteresting" choice). I now used genies for the first time, but they chose to pair up with each other. I'm not overly interested in fairies and werewolves, so there's no real chance for hybrids in that department :wink: . For gardening, the fairy or maybe a plantsim seem like the obvious choices here, but I guess that won't happen anytime soon (my plantsims usually get "cured" during their teens, when they switch from "low" to "high" maintenance). Oh, I also have a half-alien (from breeding, not an alien pregnancy), but I'm not sure how Hybrid deals with them.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Don't feed an omni plant any of the IP "fish." It will say they're ready to harvest, but you can't see them or harvest them.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    starguru wrote: »
    But yeah, it’s a bummer fish omni plants don’t look as cool as the others. I wish I knew what had changed and why. Another downer is that a fairy’s bloom ability no longer works on omni plants either. :anguished: As of patch 1.42 it did, but something must have been broken along the way. :/

If you're using NRaas mods, the latest testing version of Hybrid fixes the fairy bloom feature.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    @Turjan - Yeah, it is disappointing with the current fish omnis, especially since all the other omni plant items look so much more interesting and fun.

Well, the fish on omni plants do look the same as when placed on the floor. They are tiny, but more problematic IMO is that they all look like anchovies, no matter what type of fish they actually are. I’d at least like my omni plant deathfish to look like a proper deathfish, lol. But they don’t.

Here’s a shot of vampirefish, dragonfish, robotfish and deathfish grown on omni plants. No longer large and fabulous like before, but also identical.

fishomnis.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And here those same vampirefish, dragonfish, robotfish and deathfish placed on the floor in the same order after being harvested from their respective omni plants. Not that you can tell, with them all still looking like anchovies. But that's a minor issue, because why would someone leave fish on the floor? ;)

fishfloor.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Fortunately, in aquariums these guys are just shrunk to a smaller size to fit the tank, as they always have been, and are working as intended.

fishtank.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Side note: Most fish look as they should in aquariums, but a few do not. SN Fairy damsels look like rainbow trout, lol. ITF three-eyed dystopian fish are invisible. There may be others I haven’t noticed.

All fish seem to have their proper textures in the shrinkomatic fish bowls though.

fishbowls.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And an amazing thing about the fishbowl is that the interior décor of rocks and plants changes from the default, depending on the type of fish is placed in it. It’s a great little detail.

allperfectfishcollection_zpsklqoa4vf.jpg

I have no room for anything more in my redone SV, so I hear you, lol. And I try to avoid combo RHs for exactly that reason, opting to place RH rugs instead if I want combination lots to save space. Maybe you could try the omnis in a new test save? Although if you’re like me, the test save eventually becomes a play save as often as not. :p

Exactly. Some of my Sims are hardcore pro gardeners, inventors or whatever, while others just do a little of everything or a whole lot of nothing. :lol:

Hybrid-related response behind the spoiler due to length and somewhat OT
    Yes, IFs do work as hybrids in some combinations, but I have few of them since they don’t have useful abilities like most other occult types. It’s funny you mentioned genies, because they’re a great utility Sim and I had wondered if you had played a witch-genie scientist specifically. (Also, genies and witches are two of my fave occult types, so I may be biased. :p ) But I think a witch-genie scientist is ideal. Genies can summon all perfect meals available in the game so there’s no need for that busy scientist/alchemist/gardener/angler/handyman to also learn cooking (unless you want to make ambrosia). They can insta-clean themselves (or anyone else, even across the map), which is nice when you need a hygiene fix from all the gardening. Banishing, ensorceling and cleaning the whole house at once are their other notable uses, and they don’t need to level up like witches do to get their powers. I would’ve intervened in that pairing you mentioned and hooked one of those genies up with my active. :lol:

Fairies and Plantsims do seem to be the obvious choices for gardening-related professions, although fairies/fae-witches would be the superior option by far. Plantsims are slightly more interesting than IFs, but they don’t have the standout abilities and spells that a fairy does (fairy repair, bloom interaction, auras that improve the rate skills are learned). I still like Plantsims as scientist types though, or plant-witch doctors, lol. Or better yet, a plant-fae-witch. I’m not a huge fan of werewolves with their transformed facial appearance, which are pudding-like without editing... But I really like the idea of a mad scientist were-witch. Hunting specific items for alchemy ingredients would be helpful, and martial arts board-breaking for gems might be good too. Something I should try one of these days.

It’s odd that you haven’t had any hybrids born, unless you use longer lifespans? Or maybe there’s a particular setting needed in NRaas SP to allow hybrid births to occur? I don’t use SP so I couldn’t say. My hybrids are made, not born. I use MC to add the occult types I want the kids to inherit from their parents and grandparents.

Aliens function differently. They’re not an occult type that can be manually added; you use a separate option in MC to set the alien DNA percentage. And unlike other occults, an alien’s DNA percentage will be diluted over the generations, until they no longer have alien powers (unless you continue pairing them with other full-blooded aliens). But how all that works with SP and inherited hybrid states, I have no idea.
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Don't feed an omni plant any of the IP "fish." It will say they're ready to harvest, but you can't see them or harvest them.
    This happens with omni plants and the fish from SN and ITF as well. The SN mushrooms harvest fine for me on the omnis though.

For more SN, IP or ITF-specific fish, I clone them with the science station. You don’t get the quantity as you would on omnis if they worked, but you do have a good chance of improving their quality. And once I have a few perfect fish of that type, I breed more in aquariums for a steady supply.

fishtankwoohoo_zpsibjvj0sv.jpg

But anyway, it’s odd, since you’d think the IP fish wouldn’t show up as feedable for omnis if they weren’t able to be replicated. I remember wondering if this was because they are not “regular fish” (being from sea floor spawners and caught by scuba diving rather than rod and reel fishing like all the others), or if EA just never added them to the omni plant options.

But then I discovered you can stock IP fish in a home pond... you can’t see them swimming in the pond like you can when you stock other fish, although they do show up on the list when you inspect the water. I had just assumed fishing for them wouldn’t work so I had never tried before, but you can actually catch the IP fish! :o

pondseahorse.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

pondeel.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

pondsquid.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

pondseaurchin.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

@Turjan! Forget what I said earlier about using stocked ponds only occasionally... I’m fishing for seahorses! :joy:
  • Options
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

If you're using NRaas mods, the latest testing version of Hybrid fixes the fairy bloom feature.

Yup, I’m currently using the testing version of Hybrid and am grateful to have my blooming fairies again without needing a workaround! However, it doesn’t fix the fairy bloom on omni plants. That feature no longer works even without mods installed. But thank you. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    This happens with omni plants and the fish from SN and ITF as well. The SN mushrooms harvest fine for me on the omnis though.

For more SN, IP or ITF-specific fish, I clone them with the science station. You don’t get the quantity as you would on omnis if they worked, but you do have a good chance of improving their quality. And once I have a few perfect fish of that type, I breed more in aquariums for a steady supply.

But anyway, it’s odd, since you’d think the IP fish wouldn’t show up as feedable for omnis if they weren’t able to be replicated. I remember wondering if this was because they are not “regular fish” (being from sea floor spawners and caught by scuba diving rather than rod and reel fishing like all the others), or if EA just never added them to the omni plant options.

But then I discovered you can stock IP fish in a home pond... you can’t see them swimming in the pond like you can when you stock other fish, although they do show up on the list when you inspect the water. I had just assumed fishing for them wouldn’t work so I had never tried before, but you can actually catch the IP fish! :o

@Turjan! Forget what I said earlier about using stocked ponds only occasionally... I’m fishing for seahorses! :joy:

That's good to know. My current sim doesn't live in IP anymore, but she is raising seahorses in an aquarium. I guess instead of having her sell them, I'll save them in storage until she has enough to stock her koi pond with them.

• Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Giggles, fish can breed?
    :) Smile!

• Options
    @IreneSwift Thank you. That's good to know :smile: .

@starguru Well, now I learned a lot about fishing, breeding fish and the "secret" power of fish bowls in this thread, and given how useful fish are for gardening, I just say we are right on track :smiley: . As IP is one world I still have to experience - I think I loaded the world for the first time a couple of weeks ago - the information about IP fish should come in handy. Good to know ponds still come in useful in even new ways. And really, it's remarkable how many things gardening is connected to.

Hybrid-related things:
    I had Connor Frio now make a genie real and marry her, but again: Connor isn't a witch, so no hybrids. They got a genie daughter though :smile: . I can see that genies make for good university students in those dorms. Whenever I ever use a dorm (actually, only the fraternity a couple of times), I make sure I have a level 9 spellcaster among the travelers :smiley: . And you are right, that's a lot more work than just to send a genie.
    I use longer lifespans, but the reason I see no hybrids is my usual population distribution and simple statistics. I have lots of witches, less than a handful of vampires, a few IF's, plus a few other life-states that don't apply (plumbots, simbots, aliens), and my plantsims and IF's don't make it to an adult stage most of the time. That means that my only realistic hybrid option is a vampire witch. I only had one vampire witch pairing so far, Mortimer Goth and and one of my founder's daughters, and their single daughter only inherited the vampire part. Which means I probably have to use MC at some point, like you suggested.

@Puddinroy Indeed, they can. And eat each other :wink: .

I guess the only thing that's missing from this thread, aside from a few mentions, and which is directly connected to gardening would be nectar making. Which I still have nothing to say about :lol: . And I never did anything with canning or baking (you can see that my love for virtual cooking without the smells and tastes only goes so far :wink: ).
  • Options
    OK, regarding nectar making, if you plan to make the skill challenges, you should be aware that the one where you have to make 400 batches of locally grown French grapes into nectar, it doesn't just mean homegrown. You have to grow them in the same world where you make the nectar. The first time, I did nectar making, I had my sim grow the grapes in France while she was there, then take them home with her when her time in France was up, and make them into nectar in her home world. I used up all of the grapes, which was more than 400, and didn't make the challenge. I had to have her grow another 400+ in her home world before she could make the skill challenge.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    Giggles, fish can breed?

Yes. Fish and Magic Gnomes can do it too.

I'm not sure which fish tanks encourage fish breeding. But if you put two of the same type of fish into the correct aquarium they will multiply. If they don't die first.
  • Options
    @Turjan I’ve picked up some interesting ideas too, and I doubt I would’ve tried fishing for IP fish in ponds had I not thought to test it because of the inspiration found here. There’s a lot of useful combined knowledge collected in this thread. I hope you enjoy IP when you get around to it. :)

Yes! Gardening is connected to fishing, cooking, nectar-making, mixology, alchemy and science, and handiness is useful for a few of these other skills due to the upgrades, so there’s a lot that can be discussed. I love how these skills can be mixed and matched, with one Sim specializing in parts of the chain while partnering with another who “completes” them, so they may work towards a mutually beneficial goal, or just have one Sim who can do it all.

Hybrid stuff:
    Sounds like a random SV witch may need to do an alchemy “drive-by potioning” on Connor. ;) But yeah, genies/genie hybrids are a solid pick in any situation, including at Uni. My Uni play doesn’t always contain an occult type student though, and in those cases—when I set up the dorm or house before traveling there—I’ll throw in a Bonehilda coffin for all the cooking, cleaning and repairing needs. She’s also entertaining at frat parties, even if she can’t hold her juice, lol.

That would explain it, lol. My “Super” Sim, who is maxing all skills and doing all the skill challenges, is a vampire-witch. It’s an effective combination. Her intended partner is a fairy-genie. Their eventual children will be an interesting mix. :smiley:

I suppose some tips on baking, canning and nectar-making would be good to add then...

Using the baker’s station raises the cooking skill. A variety of fruit and nut harvestables from BG, EPs and various store sets have corresponding recipes. You can make pies and cobblers, as well as breads, cakes, cupcakes and various cookies. :cookie: Genies can summon perfect servings of all the items able to be made on the baker’s station (just as they can with the other installed objects that add food items).

Using the canning station also raises the cooking skill. Place three items in the inventory, and then run the interaction to make preserves or make jams to use on toast or scones. Butterbot’s canning station overhaul mod is highly recommended as it has some bug fixes and other improvements, and expands the gameplay a lot. In addition to the jam-making, you can make other custom spreads (including a spread made using milk from the cow corral), use beeswax to make CAStable candles, make ginseng broth to remove the germy moodlet... lots of cool options. But my favorite function is using it to make meal rations that can be stored indefinitely. It’s quite handy if your Sim doesn’t own the best fridge (culinary career reward). Make a meal and store the leftovers, or prepare a number of meals in advance as individual portions or group meals. Even children can open the jars with the mod installed. It’s also compatible for canning foods made using other cooking appliances from the Store. Not all of the jars have textures matching the foods they contain, but a large number of them do.

Nectar-making is one of those skills that are “easy to learn; difficult to master.” A Sim who has maxed the nectar-making skill and has met all the skill challenges, as well as having perfect fruits to use in their recipes, has barely begun. There are so many different types of fruits in the game, allowing for an insane number of combinations—and some fruit combinations result in better nectars than others. As you level the skill you will unlock various interactions/run processes on the nectar machine that will affect the quality and quantity of the nectar you produce. The nectar machine itself also has multiple handiness upgrade options which will affect the flavor or quantity of your nectar.

Each batch of nectar requires 10 fruits each, so having a lot of quality produce is a must. Using 10 fruits of the same type makes for poor nectar though, regardless of fruit quality. If you’re planning on drinking nectars for the buffs, nectar recipes combining life fruit, flame fruit, cranerlet nuala grapes and another fruit provide multiple moodlets. If you’re going for sheer profit on consignment sales, the highest value recipe is 9 life fruit and 1 pomegranate, although there are many other profitable nectars. Aging your nectars on storage racks in a basement will increase their value and quality further. Even initially inexpensive/low quality nectars will improve with maturation. Use the more expensive of the two nectar racks for best results.

Some nectar-related mods:
    Nectar Combinatorics by Buzzler is helpful in coming up with decent random recipes to meet the mix master challenge, or just to test combinations of fruit from your personal inventory.

Make Nectar With Any Combination by icarus_allsorts removes the blocks on the nectar maker for non-fruit harvestables. (Because you always wanted your Sims to savor a vintage comprised of tomato and onion with a hint of hot dog, right? :grimace: Or perhaps a fine Whiskey Aubergine, made from corn and eggplant? But maybe all you really wanted was for your nectar-making bee fairies to be able to use the honey in addition to the fruits and herbs they gather for making fruit meads. ;) ) Anyway, it’s the last download file in the list here.

Another mod from icarus_allsorts, the Nectar Glass Replacement, is an improvement to the plain drinking glasses of colorless liquid.
    OK, regarding nectar making, if you plan to make the skill challenges, you should be aware that the one where you have to make 400 batches of locally grown French grapes into nectar, it doesn't just mean homegrown. You have to grow them in the same world where you make the nectar. The first time, I did nectar making, I had my sim grow the grapes in France while she was there, then take them home with her when her time in France was up, and make them into nectar in her home world. I used up all of the grapes, which was more than 400, and didn't make the challenge. I had to have her grow another 400+ in her home world before she could make the skill challenge.
    OOF. Talk about learning the hard way. :dizzy: Thanks for sharing that tip.
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Since Lacey is a fairy and my sims have a small garden + a couple planters on the back porch, I might have her try some gardening come springtime. Then Rosalie and Maxwell can cook with the fresh ingredients. Might try adding a basement with an outdoor entry since the house has a foundation and try the nectar making too. Rosalie could try both nectar making and mixology when she retires.
    And Maxwell already enjoys fishing.
    They have one aquarium I stuck some goldfish in to test out breeding. Any tips on the best SN Moonlight Falls fish to breed to sell for the extra simoleons?
    I'm considering giving Willow the witch's brew at some point so she can do alchemy and spellcasting alongside writing fairytale books. (I have a little reason: I think Willow could eventually become jealous that Lacey is a fairy and she's just a human with no powers.)
    Rosalie has decent Handiness, and Max is working on it.
    That covers everything.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Just a short drive-by that I appreciate the comments.

@starguru I'll have to keep those suggestions for making nectars in mind when I finally get to it :smile: . Awesome post, as always. Thanks for all those links, I really have to look at those.

And yes, a correction of my correction, the dragon indeed pushes plants into the harvest state all by itself. There must be some kind of cooldown involved though (another one, in addition to the one that activates the "harvest" menu), as I didn't manage to do that directly after a dragon harvest.

@rubyskywalker Hmm, I'm not sure raising fish is terribly profitable. I found gardening the better choice. But who knows, I may have just chosen the wrong fish :smile: .
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @Turjan I think you have to raise seahorses from IP or other rare kinds like maybe Deathfish even. I haven't experimented yet.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com