Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like the Sims Team to Add New Whims?

It was brought to my attention that there hasn't been any new whims in the game since TS4 Seasons. I know whims are something a lot of simmers use and would like to be updated along with new content. So tell me everyone, would you like to have new whims/added to previous packs that didn't receive them?

Would you like the Sims Team to Add New Whims? 143 votes

Yes
78%
CK213IdontrcallsketchesAprilDawnlisamwittCamkatBreeNilladanacnbrettEvilWitch83TheSpotted_CIsb917DOLLDRMS1babajaynehaneulMariefoxprice83SerraNolwenfruitsbasket101YautjagirlToriexXPandoraXx 112 votes
No
11%
YunaMichelleWasimbsimfriendlysimmersSavorySageg01denswanTsapKhrisstynemannannacrockatailEnkiSchmidtHearts4uChazzzyTS1299VeeDubSpoiledMilk 16 votes
Maybe
10%
SimburianluthienrisingBabykittyjadeKaylen34SimzSizzlefsfAtreya33Chicklet453681Madachan88SERVERFRAAuroraskiesRememberJoyDaWaterRatKimmertemporalgod 15 votes

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No
    As soon as they gave us the option to disable Whims, that is exactly what I did and haven’t looked back since.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Maybe
    Whims could use an overhaul because right now they are a bit random. Up until now I haven't used whims much in my gameplay, but if they cleaned the system up and added some new ones I wouldn't be against it.
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Yes
    Whims could use an overhaul because right now they are a bit random. Up until now I haven't used whims much in my gameplay, but if they cleaned the system up and added some new ones I wouldn't be against it.

Agreed!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Maybe
    I'm not sure. Were they the anoining popups?
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Yes
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Were they the anoining popups?

Whims were the little 'wishes' near your sim's portrait (they've been disabled automatically since 2018-ish but you can enable them in s4 settings if you want to check them out - they're sadly not updated for the latest packs though).

Here's a new mod overview for anyone who wants improved whims and can use mods - it also shows what whims are for anyone who doesn't know/remember them.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Yes
    I disabled whims, but only because they got too repetitive. If they added more, and perhaps tuned them so that they fit our Sims better, I would use them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Maybe
    I don’t use them, since the whims are too random to be interesting, and the points recieved too low to be useful.
    It’s a fun idea maybe, but if just based on mood or other shallow themes it will never have any depth.
    I liked the similar/equivalent system in TS3, there was some advancement too it. TS4 seems geared more towards a situational gameplay, and I appreciate some of its features. I don’t need the whims.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Yes
    Whims are fundamental to my game. I love scoring reward points for extra traits. They should never have been neglected and would work brilliantly if they were tied in with lifestyles & sentiments.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes
    I mean, they feel repetitive now since there haven't been any new ones for ages! That could have been avoided by just standing by your game features and adding and updating with each pack instead of just abandoning them. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yes
    The Vampire related whims and computer options should be restricted until you actually do something vampire-related.

Make them require at least acquiring the Vampire Lore skill, and then players can do that by using books.

It's so ridiculous for Sims that never had anything to do with Vampires to get a "search for information on Vampires" whim from "not being a Vampire".
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Yes
    yes! One of the reasons I quit the sims 4 is because my play style was abandoned. Whims are a huge part of my playstyle and when they quit adding them to packs it meant my sims could never experience the new content. I like to only do stuff when my sim has a whim for it, so I need whims for the new packs. I'm done with the sims 4, so it doesn't matter now though.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    yes! One of the reasons I quit the sims 4 is because my play style was abandoned. Whims are a huge part of my playstyle and when they quit adding them to packs it meant my sims could never experience the new content. I like to only do stuff when my sim has a whim for it, so I need whims for the new packs. I'm done with the sims 4, so it doesn't matter now though.

Wow it looks like we share the same playstyle along with some other people. It is too bad that our way of playing was totally neglected. I hope they give us a total improvment of this system so we could have fun playing again. It wont be a waste to do so since so many of us like playing this way, and this game is planned to go on for a few more years.

I am going to tag @SimGuruMrE since i saw him comment in other threads, hopefully he reads this and carry our feedback to the rest of the team.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes
    Rework whims into an interests system. Flesh out the new personality systems that came with the patch/Snowy Escape to incorporate them somehow.

Right now, they're just tied down to a cheaty rewards system that makes an easy game even easier.
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Yes
    It kind of stinks they don't update their own systems for the game sometimes. Makes the game feel inconsistent. :/
  • Marco50Marco50 Posts: 83 Member
    Yes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWTBrF19Mc&t=26s

She defines why I want new whims. Whims are the thing I like to do when I am bored.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    They should just redo the whole whim system and aspirations. Call it "desires" or something.

Make it so that pinned whims don't disappear, limit pinned whims to one at a time...add meaningful whims that make sense for a sim's life, like having a sim wanting to have a baby after getting married for example. Having the desire to have a male or female baby and so on.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Yes
    We need new whims, and whims need to be retooled to align better with a Sim's traits.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yes
    Yes please! They need to just redo the whole whims system at this point. I've mentioned this several times around the forums but i've been wanting a whim to adopt a child since the game first came out. Also would love to see more whims based on personality and interests rather than emotion and the newest pack. Not saying don't add new whims with packs but i'd rather there purpose not be just to advertise new features and objects. Same goes for new aspirations while their at it. I don't want them to just be tutorials for the new gameplay in new packs.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Maybe
    I voted Maybe.

I like whims that help to actually direct how to play my game.

But if the whims aren't targeted specifically to a sims traits and are just randomly pulled from a hat and make no sense, then no.

And less whims for "buying" things, unless it's for functional things that would help improve the sims needs, like say a bed that has a higher comfort level because the sim is currently sleeping on a horrible bed, but not irrelevant things like the bee box when your sim is not a gardener, outdoor person.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Yes
    Yes, because more whims is better than less, but I'm not a huge fan of this system in general. I liked TS2 idea of wants and fears — there was a variety of them, from small wishes to flirt with someone to huge ones, like having a baby or going to uni.
    Whims are just random, not personal, and boring. I hardly ever use them.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    No
    They need a rework not a continuation in my opinion
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes because what is the harm, but I agree 100% that what they need is a rework first to be more relevant to the individual sims. Anyway, I leave whims on (I did not originally notice when they were turned off), but I only fulfill them if they suit me. I did the same in Sims 2, so I had absolutely no problem just ignoring them otherwise.

I would truly enjoy if aspirations and satisfaction were relevant again, though. I know the whim system needs the rework, but the lack is one of the things that feels more lifeless about 4. I miss expecting proper satisfaction rewards to purchase.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Yes
    I loved Whims, when they worked. It was fun trying to fulfill them for my Sims to rack up points and buy them useful traits. After they were borked and turned off by default instead of given an update or overhaul, I turned them off. Now I only depend on getting points by completing aspirations and holidays. I tried doing a Whims challenge once, but unfortunately it was after they were borked and it quickly became clear my Sim didn't have a chance in H.E.double toothpicks of advancing very far, very quickly, if at all.

I had hopes they would be fixed, updated or overhauled years ago when they were first broken. But when they announced a toggle to turn them off and that Whims would be off by default, my dreams died on the vine. I knew they'd never do anything with them again. Maybe they'll prove me wrong one day, but I seriously doubt it.

It's sad because I mostly don't miss them until I see a thread like this or my Sims can't complete milestones/holidays quickly enough to buy something from the Rewards store they need. In that case, I'll turn them back on to see if I can use them again and quickly see again why I turned them off. They're too repetitive, don't align half the time with what my Sim is doing and the other half of the time don't correctly complete to give my Sims the points.

R.I.P. Whims :'(
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Yes
    I play with a whims based gameplay. So the whims would need to be based on the sim traits and lifestyle. Not "buy a 1×1 pool" or "buy a bee box" for all sims.
  • fsffsf Posts: 4 New Member
    Maybe
    Like someone else said...only if they’re gonna be like the wants and fears system in ts2. The sums are way too lifeless now.