The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should there be power outages in the Sims?

And should the power outages last varying amounts of time, depending on how many other sims lost power in their homes?

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes, I think that would be awesome! There aren’t enough unexpected challenges in our games. This is supposed to be a life simulation and life is full of unexpected happenings that you have to figure your way around or that result in injury, illness, and death and I would love to have more in game in the classic Sims humorous style instead of always having to force it.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Yes, I would like that, I think there's a mod that has that option.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Wouldve been great in Seasons! A small chance of a power outage during a thunderstorm, and say it lasts between 1 hour and 6 hours ingame.
  • LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    Wouldve been great in Seasons! A small chance of a power outage during a thunderstorm, and say it lasts between 1 hour and 6 hours ingame.

For more extreme events, such as a blizzard, ice storm, hurricane, or other extreme weather, it could last between one day and several weeks, depending on how many sims lose power.
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    Sims 2 was going to have a power outage scenario, and you can have a powerless day in Sims 4 with the Eco Living NAPs.
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    If and only if they can be prevented if that's not how you like to play.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    @LeanneStrong57 - all I can say is if they put that in Sims; better make sure you have a firepit handy. :D I love the idea of power-outages...especially in blizzards. We would also need methods for the sims to stay warm, like piling more blankets on the bed and maybe lighting the fireplace and lighting candles...in turn increasing the risk of burning their house down.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would love this. It would add so much more realism and a bit more of a challenge to the game. :)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I would love that! Specially if It's unexpected. For the meantime (and with a different purpose) i use the naps that have an electricity and water weekly day off to simulate places in the world where power and water fail in a regular basis.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Aren't there power outages already in Eco Lifestyle?
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    > @KatAnubis said:
    > If and only if they can be prevented if that's not how you like to play.

Like a checkbox in the game options, like how you can turn off weather in Seasons and Snowy Escape, and can choose whether the temperature will effect you Sim or not in Seasons.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    > @KatAnubis said:
    > If and only if they can be prevented if that's not how you like to play.

Like a checkbox in the game options, like how you can turn off weather in Seasons and Snowy Escape, and can choose whether the temperature will effect you Sim or not in Seasons.

Exactly.

I like it that they've been having ways of turning things off.

I found that you can turn lifestyles off (which is nice until they can fix it so that when you use the lifestyle coach or the potion to get rid of a lifestyle like workaholic, they don't continue to act like they still have it. I don't like miserable Sims!)
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    No,Limitations would Ruin it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    There is already power outages in TS4, the Sim doesn't pay much attention to it. The only person it bothers is the player. They can still use a phone since it never needs recharged. They still use the fridge though it needs power, they can cook on a grill. So, I don't trust Maxis to consider what a real power outage means if someone doesn't have a gas powered backup generator.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,819 Member
    I would love that! With the option to opt out of course.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    edited January 2021
    And should the power outages last varying amounts of time, depending on how many other sims lost power in their homes?

Are you talking about having a power-outage during a storm, or some such thing? I think that would be great. Lightning can strike and knock out a transformer, which could service a whole neighborhood. Snow has been known to cause an outage, too.
    Simburian wrote: »
    Aren't there power outages already in Eco Lifestyle?
    Some of us didn't purchase that pack. But we do have Seasons, wherein an outage is not only possible but in some cases quite probable.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member
    Yes. I think this is really good idea but I don’t want to happen every day during the winter or spring. They could also add a lot trait to make certain areas more sensitive to having power outages. So in an area where all the poor people live all their lots would have this trait versus an area like the gated community in del sol valley where they would have virtually none.