Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should sims experience extreme weather events, or other natural disasters?

Hurricanes/typhoons/tropical cyclones, tornadoes, earthquakes, derechos, dust storms, blizzards, ice storms, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, etc.

Comments

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Hurricanes/typhoons/tropical cyclones, tornadoes, earthquakes, derechos, dust storms, blizzards, ice storms, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, etc.

If *and only if* they make it so that those of us who *don't* want them can turn them off if we're not interested! (Thank goodness we can turn things like storms and blizzards off in TS4!)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    I'll go for that extreme weather, as long as a) there is a toggle for the "safe-space'rs" to turn things off and not have to deal with a "slice of reality" and b) there are careers or activities involved around them...like storm chasing, weather prediction and disaster rescue.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    We actually already have earthquakes, blizzards, thunderstorms and volcanos (in TS4, depending on packs owned and lot traits). I think it could be fun if they added more though and integrated it more into the settings themselves rather than lot traits. It would need a toggle for the people that don't want it affecting their game at all.
    I'll go for that extreme weather, as long as a) there is a toggle for the "safe-space'rs" to turn things off and not have to deal with a "slice of reality" and b) there are careers or activities involved around them...like storm chasing, weather prediction and disaster rescue.

Love this idea too and I'd definitely want something like that included.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Interesting idea, but do we really want folks that can't get snow right to implement this?
    Interesting idea, but do we really want folks that can't get snow right to implement this?
    Vvfn.gif
    ~thumbs up~.
    EA might need some ice...

for that BURN! :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    It's the rain I can't handle at the moment. I've turned it off for a while as it's too frequent in some areas and I'm getting tired of it. Less of that and and occasional disaster might shake the game up a bit though. If those who don't want disasters can turn them off.
    For me, the number of days of rain in my game is nothing. In fact, the rains within the Sims games soothes me because it reminds me of home. :D Where I live, we get 165.1 days of rain in a year. It's pretty much nearly one in every 2.2 days it's a rainy one. Our unofficial provincial flower is the "umbrella" which blossoms when it's wet outside.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Maybe in a game pack so those of us who don't want them can simply not buy it. That way it can be done really well for those who do want it.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • IsariIsari Posts: 69 Member
    I'm totally into it. The game would be much more difficult, it's something I miss in the sims 4. Obviously - l know a lot of players wouldn't like it so I guess there should be an option to turn it off.
  • simmerannsimmerann Posts: 24 Member
    I agree that integrating more gameplay WITH such events would be more meaningful- be it related careers or including these events in a memory system would be optimal. But that's my general feeling- not just adding more stuff to the sims but making what is added more meaningufl to gameplay.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Along with some sort of toggle/optional control, this should be at the macro level. That is, a whole world - say, Oasis Springs - is affected, not just a household within a world facing it. If a player went to anther world the event would not be happening.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,178 Member
    Back in my day, Sims used to have random meteor events. Old days were better.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

We actually already have earthquakes, blizzards, ice storms and volcanic eruptions in the game. :) Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are lot traits from Island Living and City Living and the other two are in Seasons and Snowy Escape.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

We actually already have earthquakes, blizzards, ice storms and volcanic eruptions in the game. :) Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are lot traits from Island Living and City Living and the other two are in Seasons and Snowy Escape.

Haha they aren't so well done, this is why people tend to forget.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • lostatcorelostatcore Posts: 35 Member
    I'm all for this kind of stuff happening in the game as long as it's done properly. There absolutely should be an option to disable it for those that don't want it. Major disasters should also have a HUGE knock-on effect on the neighbourhoods and it's residents.

They should also be coded in a way so they don't happen all that often. I know things aren't always as realistic as they could be in The Sims but I'd hate to have to encounter an earthquake one day, a tornado the next then a few days late another earthquake or something. One or two disasters within a Sim's lifetime would be plenty.

They could of course make districts or entire neighbourhoods that are prone zones for various disasters are something. Sulani would be good for volcanic rumbles or eruptions because there is an active volcano. Another neighbourhood could be prone to tornados and so on.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    Ooh yes something to mess up the irritatingly perfect world 🤣 this and burglars yess ! Of course add toggles for those who dont want those things
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    I would love it. To me it adds realism and a sense of adventure (I loved earthquakes and meteorites in TS3, my best-loved Sim was a firefighter) but as others said, only if there were a toggle, so that you can choose whether to activate these events or not.
    There could also be a trait (similar to the storm-chaser one) so that Sims having it are actually excited by extreme natural events, while regular sims are scared by them.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    I would love it. To me it adds realism and a sense of adventure (I loved earthquakes and meteorites in TS3, my best-loved Sim was a firefighter) but as others said, only if there were a toggle, so that you can choose whether to activate these events or not.
    There could also be a trait (similar to the storm-chaser one) so that Sims having it are actually excited by extreme natural events, while regular sims are scared by them.

I tend to think of storm chaser as more of a career path option than a personality trait.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

I tend to think of storm chaser as more of a career path option than a personality trait.

I'd love a storm chaser career, that's be so fun!

I'd love more weather extremes but think they should 1) toggle off and 2) a second toggle for weather you can die from them as I'd want to experience them more in game without risk of my sim dying.

I'd love to have tornados
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    > @LeanneStrong57 said:
    > I tend to think of storm chaser as more of a career path option than a personality trait.

At the moment it is just an aspiration reward trait. I think it would make an interesting aspiration if combined with gameplay that involves more extreme weather/catastrophic natural events...
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    We need better lightning storms, they would be so cool. B)
    lostatcore wrote: »
    but I'd hate to have to encounter an earthquake one day, a tornado the next then a few days late another earthquake or something. One or two disasters within a Sim's lifetime would be plenty.

Welcome to Tornado Alley...
    Tornado Alley

In the United States, there are two regions with a disproportionately high frequency of tornadoes. Florida is one and "Tornado Alley" in the south-central United States is the other. Florida has numerous tornadoes simply due to the high frequency of almost daily thunderstorms. In addition, several tropical storms or hurricanes often impact the Florida peninsula each year. When these tropical systems move ashore, the embedded convective storms in the rain bands often produce tornadoes. However, despite the violent nature of a tropical storm or hurricane, the tornadoes they spawn (some as water spouts) tend to be weaker than those produced by non-tropical thunderstorms.

Tornado Alley is a nickname given to an area in the southern plains of the central United States that consistently experiences a high frequency of tornadoes each year. Tornadoes in this region typically happen in late spring and occasionally the early fall. The Gulf Coast area has a separate tornado maximum nicknamed "Dixie Alley" with a relatively high frequency of tornadoes occurring in the late fall (October through December). ~ courtesy of the NOAA website

I wouldn't mind the Sims in a certain world having an almost daily thunderstorm with a 75% chance of a twister happening.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member

They experience blizzards if you have seasons and can freeze to death if they are outside too long. I think there is a major weather event in Sulani too, but I haven't played the world long enough to experience it. There are volcanic eruptions in Sulani too
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱