Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS2 as a TS4 player

thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
I've been playing TS4 on-and-off for about 4 years now and is completely aware of the environment in the community, most especially the boxing ring surrounding TS2, 3, and 4. Lately I've been wanting to play TS2 after remembering that I had a lot of fun playing it for like a few days when I was little. Although, I have completely forgotten how the game feels.

As objectively as possible, do you think that TS2 is better than TS4 and is worth playing in 2020? Or is it really just the nostalgia? Should I continue devoting my time to TS4 or should I try to get back to playing TS2? I can't decide really. What do you think? Please don't take this like some shallow "ts2 g0od, tS4 bAd" discussion (or the other way around). I want to hear your opinions about this also to help myself decide. I know that I can just get TS2 and try it myself right now but eh, i don't really want to waste my time especially that i have ocd.

PS. I own all the TS4 packs and I'm a gameplay-focused player.
Post edited by EA_Joz on

TS2 as a TS4 player 86 votes

TS4
39%
brackencat31Kita5399alan650111Colorist40Angel_mixelanorbretonhaneuljimbbqluthienrisingLustianiciawrenstalessmurf45blueBabykittyjadeFelicity1169FraTacMollyG1997adamzaidtexxx78So_MoneyColton147147 34 votes
TS2
60%
auroraael14CK213GoldmoldarwindweaverSamadamsPlayerCelticgamer0BunnyBoxers5Jessa_DakkarAyradysssam123asimbsimAnmirlaParyCinebarmitchiebanjoladybreidSk8rblazeAlwe1507cheetosash15Joybearr 52 votes

Comments

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    TS4
    I think TS4 is better. TS2 was amazing in its time and is still great, but most people prefer TS4 these days for a reason. However, you might as well try TS2 again if you're curious.

To me TS2 is a much slower, simpler, and slightly more difficult game. By slow, I mean that the pace of the game is different because TS2 animators put more detail into the animations. Sims open cabinets when cooking and use cars when traveling. There also aren't as many Sims and they don't age together. So if you're a fast-paced, non-rotational player all of that might be annoying, especially given that there are fewer skills and objects in TS2. But TS2 allows for lots of drama.
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    The gameplay in TS2 is so enjoyable and detailed, if you do not mind the graphics or a restricted build mode it is fun. If you want to get a better idea of TS2 gameplay and how it compares to 4 I would recommend watching youtuber Pleasantsims. Cindy’s playstyle is based on the sim’s wants and whims, she has several videos comparing all the versions. The one where she discusses the differences between TS2 and TS4 retail is a good example of why she prefers TS2 gameplay. Side note, I wish EA would release TS2 for Switch.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The Sims 2 is miles better than the Sims 4 game play wise. It’s really dated though. I won’t go back to it for that reason. I’ve got used to the nice crisp graphics of today’s standards and I can’t go back. It depends on you though really. If you don’t mind how dated the game feels then sure it’s definitely worth playing again.
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    TS2
    The only reason I don't play The Sims 2 is graphics.

If EA sold The Sims 2 Definitive Edition in UHD, I'd never touch The Sims 4 again.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    TS2
    I think TS2 is worth playing for the gameplay and I still like the graphics, but it is definitely much more demanding than 4. Trying to care for a household of 8 is so much harder, but so much more rewarding in my opinion. The needs are also much more difficult to maintain, but there is much more control over the world.

Some of my favorite content, pets and witches, is also better in it in my opinion. You have a lot more control over things like apartments and I think aspirations are more rewarding though also more difficult.

Basically, think deeper but harder. Fun is definitely to be had, but sometimes you want difficulty and sometimes you do not. They both have their place.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    TS2
    visually of course its ts4 hands down but for gameplay alone I feel like ts2 the sims had more depth and that was reflected too in the over all gameplay.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    TS4
    Originally I pretty much skipped TS3, and jumped from TS2 straight to TS4. I have only had one experience going back to TS2. I played my sister's sim just for a day or so and what I remember is when the sim was repairing the toilet and how monotonous the movement was and I was like is that really it? The sim felt quite lifeless to me. That said I only played for a day and don't even remember much else. You could probably get over some stuff once you got used to the game. I've been wanting to give TS2 a go again, but I know it would take time to adapt back and I probably wouldn't play it for long. One thing I would probably miss the most is visiting other households with my sims. I play rotational and it brings me so much joy to be able to visit friends etc.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member
    You should check out TS2 forum. There are still plenty of simmers playing and enjoying TS2.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Do you own TS2 or would you have to go out and buy the games?

If you own TS2, do you have the Ultimate Collection or would you have to install via discs?

If via discs, do you own all EP's or what is the latest EP you own or do you own Mansion & Garden Stuff (despite being a stuff pack, it's technically considered an EP by the code).

If you own discs and have Bon Voyage or an EP released after, what OS do you have? If you have Windows 10, you'll have lag issues due to Securom as Securom is not compatible with Windows 10 and will cause lag issues in game.

If your OS is a Windows 10, it can take some work to get the game running without any major issues and more work to get it to work at your preference graphics wise. This is just due to technical differences between Windows 10 and Windows XP and what video cards the game has programmed into it. You may also have very few issues. It's a gamble.

Ultimate Collection will bypass any installer compatibility issues as it will use Origin's installer to install. If you have to go by disc, you may or may not have issues installing the game.

That all being said, I like Sims 2 more than Sims 4. I like the more challenging aspects of Sims 2 that the games have shifted away from.

But if you aren't technically savvy and/or don't want to potentially deal with all of the issues getting an old game to run on a new OS, Sims 2 may not be something you want to try. Especially if you would have to go out and buy the games to play it at all.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    TS4
    do what makes you happy if you want to try ts2 do so you'll never know if you like it if you don't try
    thats how I know I like 4 better
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    TS4
    What do you mean by gameplay focused? If you're into achieving things in your Sims' careers or trying to build up skills, Sims 2 is not for you because there's not a lot to do there compared to Sims 4. But if you want the game to dictate your Sims' personalities and their wants/fears, giving you less control over those things, and if you want balancing needs to be more of a challenge, it's worth trying TS2 again.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I have all of TS2 (it is on my iMac), some of TS3 (use to have it all until, well I don't anymore) and all of TS4.

Right now I only play TS4 because that is what I have installed on my laptop. (my iMac is packed away right now or I would also be playing TS2)
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    best gameplay: ts2
    best cas: ts4
    best build mode: ts4
    best AI: ts2
    best graphics: ts4
    best devs: ts2
    life simulator: ts2
    virtual dollhouse: ts4
    bella_goth wrote: »

Questions: what is AL; and I have not heard the term virtual dollhouse used before = what does that mean?
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member

Questions: what is AL; and I have not heard the term virtual dollhouse used before = what does that mean?

She meant AI. :) It's what governs the autonomous actions of Sims... how they act by themselves without player intervention. "Virtual dollhouse" is basically what's in the opposite spectrum of what she meant by "life Simulator".

She meant AI. :) It's what governs the autonomous actions of Sims... how they act by themselves without player intervention. "Virtual dollhouse" is basically what's in the opposite spectrum of what she meant by "life Simulator".

Well, that didn't answer my questions at all. Thanks for trying though.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    TS2
    The depth of gameplay in TS2 is amazing, and there is so much for sims to do together. TS4 is really pretty.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020

AI = Artificial Intelligence, the one to dictate sims smartness, their autonomy.
    virtual dollhouse = the easiest way to describe this, but in a virtual environment lol
    81faJqzegWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

but both games are life simulators. i just used virtual dollhouse because sims in ts4 have the AI of a vacuum cleaner which makes the game boring unless i create a story in mind for them.

AI = Artificial Intelligence, the one to dictate sims smartness, their autonomy.
    virtual dollhouse = the easiest way to describe this, but in a virtual environment lol
    81faJqzegWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

but both games are life simulators. i just used virtual dollhouse because sims in ts4 have the AI of a vacuum cleaner which makes the game boring unless i create a story in mind for them.

Thank you - got it now.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    TS4
    I have the complete collections of all 4 Sims games installed on my computer. I’ll go back and play TS2 & TS3 every so often. Honestly as much as I loved them all in their time, I just can’t get back into them for very long. I’m not sure if it’s because they are rather dated, or if it’s the graphics that bother me. I’m not a fan of how in TS2 you can go to a community lot at noon, stay until 9pm, then return home at noon. I’m also not a fan of how you have to play every household in order to have them all age together. Obviously this is just my opinion, and those things could be positives for others, but I’m mostly sticking to TS4.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I think that if you already own TS2 and your system will run it you should definitely give it a try again.

But there are differences, if you can get over the graphics in the game and the limitations of build mode & CAS (outfits in TS2 come with shoes already attached, hats are on hair, etc) .... for me the things that sims do together and all of the animations being so detailed is amazing and I still enjoy it.

I love playing Open-For-Business and having a beauty salon to de-fuglify the townies in a gameplay function, which to me is much more satisfying than just popping them into CAS in TS4 and making them over. With TS2 you have the randomized event of failing at making them over, and that sim will be mad at you, also their look will remain that way until you convince them to let you make them over again. It's comical and I really enjoy it.

I like how kids play together.

But needs decay a lot faster, it's harder to build up relationships, you need to maintain relationships for promotions, etc. It's harder. And, like others have said, it's harder to play rotationally. I'm not a rotational player so that didn't ever bother.

But, I also miss things when I'm playing TS2 compared to TS4, mainly build type stuff ..... shrinking/enlarging objects, raising or lower objects, freely moving wall items, etc.

• TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    TS2
    If you enjoy gameplay, I'd definitely recommend going back and giving TS2 another shot. TS4 will still be there if you don't enjoy it. And there's nothing wrong with playing both. :)
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I think both are good. They have their pros and cons. I love The Sims 2 for their sims and gameplay, but I can't help but feel very limited at times. The Sims 4 is awesome at many other things, but I miss how the sims would interact with each other and the small little details.

As I said, both are good.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited November 2020
    TS4
    I meant to click sims 2 btw lol

I like sims 2 for its gameplay depth, cute cutscenes & so many animations that we would take for granted. It was a game where our standards weren’t set so low. You know our standards are low when simmers were praising the gurus for a new swatch on the science table instead of getting a activity table for the 6th time for SE.

Sims 4 is great if you’re just building or creating sims as the gurus are catering to builders since most of their GC are just that. It’s not so much of a simulator as the gameplay is not as rich as it used to be. The half backed packs we get is what ruins the sims 4 for me.

Both are good in their own ways. Why not play both? You don’t have to devote in playing just one series.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Something I really don't like about the older games besides the dated graphics is the way sims move around. I haven't played the Sims 2 in a long while but recently I was playing the Sims 3 and the sims move around so stiff and unnatural, it's almost robotic looking. The thing I love most about the Sims 4 is the Sims themselves, the way they move and express themselves. It makes them seem much more alive to me despite them some what lacking in the unique personalities of the previous games.