Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What would make building better?

What do you think is lacking?

I'd love to see actual split-levels be incorporated. I know you can technically make split-levels with workarounds but it'd be nice for them have a set tool in the game.

Comments

• redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited October 2020
    1. Split Levels
    2. Spiral Stairs
    3. Flying buttresses
    4. Revolving doors
    5. Elevator build pieces (if we don't have them already I can't remember)
    6. Really big Rose windows
    7. Build Pieces for Bell Towers & Clock Towers (Namely clock works and Bell)
    8. Glass Domes
    9. Onion Domes
    10. Domes with gold leaf
    11. Wrought iron domes for pavilions
    12. Ceiling paint
    13. Pool Stairs
    14. In-ground hot tub that can be place next to the pool
    15. Hot Spring
    16. Wooden beams for the interior of homes
    17. Coffered ceilings
    18. More roof textures like Haunted house with loose & missing shingles
    19. Thatched roof textures that have…texture
    20. Pocket doors
    21. Garage Doors
    22. Driveway
    23. Pond tool
    24. Attic Access Door & Ladder
    25. Skylights
    26. Stone Staircase
    27. Split log Staircase for cabins
    28. Staircase with Stucco & Tile for Mediterranean, Spanish Style, Moroccan, & Cycladic Architecture
    29. Staircase for deserted homes with loose boards, Broken spindles with Balustrade, "fencing" to match oof and a creaking sfx when its walked on
    30. Mural style wallpaper & Trompe L'oeil
    31. Scaling window blinds so that one set of blinds can fit most of the windows
    32. Pond tool I agree with Kara
    33. Ceiling mounted Fire alarm
    34. Wall (cabinet) mounted microwave
    35. More cabinetry that matches bars
    36. More bar cabinetry with the bottles that match the current bars
    37. Being able to change the color of flames on the torches and fireplaces. I'd add candle too
    Post edited by redrogue60 on
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Auto roof
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I would love slanted ceilings so we can make mid-century modern homes
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    • painting ceilings and under roofs
    • split level
    • connecting rooms at different foundation height
    • ability to place stairs diagonally
    • spiral staircase
    • more roof patterns etc especially in more ridiculous themes since its all so.. boring
    give me those carnival tent patterns and whatever
    •round walls like we have round fences be super cool
    • some normal windows. really. and also more mansion style windows in more colors
    • really anything as long as its old style and does not exist yet
    • outside roof and wall decors especially id like wood planks or something i could use to make my log cabin walls less flat
    • broken/haunted house style build options
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited October 2020
    I wouldn’t say it's lacking, I have great fun building; but all that has already been mentioned - and wall cover that add structure to a façade to give a more three-dimensional look, would be great.

This is a good thread, I hope it lives for a long time.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    edited October 2020
    Some things I would like and think would be useful.
    • stages and split levels
    • being able to place stair rails independently on each side
    • matching gates for fences
    • more floor and wall tile patterns, modern, morrocan, spanish, art deco, etc.
    • splashback tile walls
    • pool edge that looks like a natural pond
    • real working elevators
    • wall decals like we had in TS2 with wall decorations like columns, windows and doors stone borders, statues and gargoyles, wall trims, boarded-up planks, etc.
    • be able to place roofs on half-walls
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    The ability to just delete one tile in a room without the entire floor disappearing. Coming from 3 that was my biggest peeve with build mode in s4. In 3 you could literally just delete one tile in the middle of the room and it was done, in 4 you have to do some weird manoeuvre with rooms and fences to be able to delete individual tiles.

Plus auto roof, spiral staircases and placeable/functional elevators for any build. I also really liked the little tube elevator thing from into the future so I would be very happy if that came back.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I can't say I'm missing Auto Roofing. Not that I experienced it in previous Sims games, but rather in the 3d Floorplan suites I've worked with, auto-roofing was always hit or miss and when it was a miss, it was a royal Pain in the Posterior to fix.

Split level would be great, along with being able to define rooms without needing a fence.
    Vaulted ceilings and paintable ceilings.
    Diagonal stairs
    Round walls, along with windows and doors (they can be small/limited)
    Scalable windows where the hole scales with them. And with finer control on the scaling.
    Ability to scale along just one axis
    Ability to rotate on any axis - this can be just for decorations.
    Yes, I realize the T.O.O.L. mod allowd for these. Compared to other programs I use, it's too fiddly for me to use in something that's "just a game."

Spiral stairs would be awesome, but considering that we have three different wall heights, I get why they're tricky to imlement when you take Sims routing and animation in to account.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2020
    In addition to everything above:
    • Complete wood color overhaul on windows, doors and furnishings so every option is a matched set
    • Custom Style Collection folders
    • Additional outdoor floor tiles to match in-world tiles surrounding lots.
    • Pond tool
    • More terrain paint styles, especially some that look more textured/3D instead of flat (looking at you flat flowers).
    • Snapable fence post lights. We have one fence with lights and you can use MOO to put lights on fence posts, but I would like lights that automatically snap to fence posts for all fences. Not just one style fence with one style light.
    • More carpet colors/textures. I never use carpets because the ones we have are awful in my opinion.
    • Optional toggle to remove the automatic snapping placement for curtains/blinds on windows so I can put curtains on any window wherever I want.
    • And more curtains/blinds too!
    • Same as with curtains/blinds, optional toggle to remove the snapping placement effect on columns.
    • More slots on surfaces, and again, optional toggle to remove the snapping placement of objects on surfaces. It's possible to place objects anywhere on surfaces with MOO, but it's not always very easy to do.
    • In addition to the above, add slots to surfaces that should be able to have objects placed on them, but currently do not have that option without using MOO. Examples: Top of refrigerators, surface of refrigerators, some shelves, top of cabinets, etc.
    • Option to change the lighting colors/dimness in build mode.
    • Bulldoze lot option button put back in Manage Worlds view.
    • Optional toggle to hide trees, shrubs and nearby in-world landscaping while in build mode. Currently trees will disappear when you're scrolled in close to them. But I'd like to be able to hide them completely while building the exterior if I've already placed landscaping.
    • Option to adjust the height and size of mirrors.
    • Spiral stairs is a given, but I'd also like them to be customizable, not static. Let us change the spiral size and shape.
    • In pool stairs
    • Closet tool with doors that slide like the ones that came with GT.
    • Working louvered/bi-fold doors
    • Animated windows that can be opened/closed

I'll stop here. Honestly, I could keep going endlessly with things I believe would make build mode better. However, I just remembered there is a pinned thread here: Build Mode Feedback for EA with a comprehensive and well-maintained list of things suggested by builders. Check it out and see if your request is on the list. If it isn't, please comment your request to be added.

Happy Simming! <3
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Auto roofs with built in skylights, different options
    Thank you :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    All the Above ideas.
  • chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    • Skylights - I know we have glass roofs, but I would like something like a window that can be placed on the roof
    • Full size sliding doors - I love the big and modern sliding doors from Eco Living, but I would like to see them in full height (floor to ceiling height) that matches the windows
    • Be able to place walk-in closets in half tiles - We can now place windows and doors in half tile, why can't we do it for walk-in closets?
    • Be able to delete 1 floor tile at a time like in Sims 2
    • Garage and garage doors
    • Big and frameless windows - for more modern look
    • Triangular windows right underneath the roof
    • Countertop stoves and built in ovens in the cabinet
    • Round walls
    • Round staircases
    • Round pools
    • Staircase for pools - so sims can walk down the pool instead of climbing down
    • Be able to place fountain on foundation - we can place pools on foundations, why can't we do it for fountains?
    • Smaller toilet stalls - the current ones we have are 2x3, I would like to see them in 1x2 for space issues
    • Wall mounted AC units
    • Heating/cooling vents on the wall and floor - I believe we have this in Sims 2
    • More ceiling-hanging plants
    • Be able to change color and dim the lights in build mode

Plus everything mentioned from the other players
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    These are the main things I'm always wanting when I build

Pond tool with the ability to build a bridge over it
    Pool stairs
    Normal diving board
    Pool slide
    Round pool walls
    In ground hot tubs
    Painted ceilings
    Garage doors and driveways
    Elevator
    Escalator
    Split level houses
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited October 2020
    Everything mentioned here, with an ‘auto’ On/ Off Toggle for features that require it.
    I don’t do ‘auto‘ anything ( I demand ultimate control) so ‘auto’ will be automatically set to ‘off’ in my game.
  • KorglyKorgly Posts: 187 Member
    what would make building better? more gameplay/lot assignment types that function.

Apartments
    Homeless Shelter
    Job specific like Police Station etc..

to name a few
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2021
    1) More floor Levels I'd like to build higher, so I can create even more elaborate castles and stuff.
    2) Ceiling textures. Again I'm building castles and stuff if I could have stone/wood ceilings I'd be happy.
    3) Larger lots.
    4) More Room Wall Heights
    5) Grander Staircases & Railings.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    In build mode I want to have
    Spiral stairs
    Hidden doors using large paintings
    I know this is an impossible task but could we connect two lots together to prevent loading screens. Like a restaurant linked to park etc. Like openworld.

• QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    However, I just remembered there is a pinned thread here: Build Mode Feedback for EA with a comprehensive and well-maintained list of things suggested by builders. Check it out and see if your request is on the list. If it isn't, please comment your request to be added.

I took a look at that thread, first post is 6 years old and the requests on it were almost identical to what’s been posted here so far. So I highly doubt that some of the requests will ever be implemented, maybe it’s just not possible to do 🤷🏼‍♀️

For me, I would love spiral staircases and to be able to have different floor levels without the foundation raising all of the rooms/house, some more spandrels and please for the love of Grim: matching wood colours 💖
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • LeaselmaryLeaselmary Posts: 108 Member
    Platforms. Please?
  • Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    Leaselmary wrote: »
    Platforms. Please?

Hah!

Also: Glass. Walls.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Whilst building a room in a house, actually seeing the walls of it and not the furthest walls, without having to go into top down view. (eg: like Sims 1) I'd like to use my mouse to roll the house and rooms in every direction. to properly see what I am doing.
    edited November 2020
    I would love to be able to draw out rooms on 1/2 or 1/4 tiles instead of being locked into the full 1x1 tile grid. This would enhance our creativity so much, we could make bump outs or insets, create true "built-in" fireplaces or floor-to-ceiling shelving, add dimensions to windows, make our own fake columns that matched the wallpaper.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    • I wish we could use different patterns on wall coverings on the top and the bottom so we could create custom wainscoting looks, back splashes, and two tone paint looks.
    • I wish curtains and blinds were able to be stretched and shrunk both vertically and horizontally so that they could fit any window.
    • I would love fireplaces that can fit flush inside walls, like closets do. Just give me the fire box, so I can build walls and use wallpapers and shelves to make custom fireplaces that fit into my builds. I will add to this, I wish that the tall brick fireplace that came with Cats & Dogs had a slot above the mantle to put a wall mounted tv, pictures, wreaths or other wall hangings on.
    • More carpet textures and colors would be great too!

• ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    1:definitely split level, even if we have to use the constrain floor cheat like in sims 3.
    2: I don't use spiral staircases a lot but it would be nice to have the option.
    3. pool stairs would be cool.....has anyone checked to see if we can make some with platforms?
    4. pocket doors and garage doors (I have found some No CC art that looks like garage doors though)
    5. Wall mounted microwave!!!!! I have tried this and failed so many times, make one thats functional!
    6. Scale-able windows and the hole scales with!
    7. Let me build apartments

And my biggest let down from sims 3 to sims 4 is the ability to go in and change the color and texture of every item so that they can match... I feel like I am the only one to mention this anytime people bring up build/buy mode but I desperately miss it. My rooms havent matched that well since Sims 4 came out. Does anyone else agree with this last part or am I still the only one that misses this?
    edited November 2020
    1:definitely split level, even if we have to use the constrain floor cheat like in sims 3.
    2: I don't use spiral staircases a lot but it would be nice to have the option.
    3. pool stairs would be cool.....has anyone checked to see if we can make some with platforms?
    4. pocket doors and garage doors (I have found some No CC art that looks like garage doors though)
    5. Wall mounted microwave!!!!! I have tried this and failed so many times, make one thats functional!
    6. Scale-able windows and the hole scales with!
    7. Let me build apartments

And my biggest let down from sims 3 to sims 4 is the ability to go in and change the color and texture of every item so that they can match... I feel like I am the only one to mention this anytime people bring up build/buy mode but I desperately miss it. My rooms havent matched that well since Sims 4 came out. Does anyone else agree with this last part or am I still the only one that misses this?

Trust me you are not the only, I would love that ability again! But, it seems like most people complained about CASt lagging in TS3, mine only lagged when I had 3000+ patterns and then only the first time I went thru the patterns after opening my game, after that it was fine, still had to scroll them to get to the bottom, but it wasn't "LAG" it was loading them. But if I didn't have custom patterns and only used what came with the game, it was no problem at all.

I don't mention it because I feel like I'm a minority for wanting it back, people complain about the lag or too much choices, what the .... how can you ever, ever have too many choices. I'll never, ever understand that.

I also would love wall mounted microwaves!

And, do not even get me started on NOT being able to build our own functional apartments! If I think about it, it seriously makes my blood boil! LOL
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on