Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More representation of indigenous cultures?

The other day I noticed one of the new necklaces for female Sims has a colour option that is the same as the Australian Aboriginal flag, it got me wondering if perhaps there should be more indigenous representation in the Sims, or if it was something that was just too much risk of getting way wrong (like having Sims wearing first nation head dressed Coachella style, or female Sims being able to play a digeridoo).

What do others think, is more indigenous representation something EA should strive for, or is there just too much of a risk that it wouldn't be done right and would end up being tokenistic or insulting to indigenous cultures? Is this something better left to the CC and Mod creators?
Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'm all for anything that's not western/USA Culture ... as long as it's done well and respectfully for the culture being depicted.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    If they wanted to do it I’m sure they’d be able to in a respectful manner such as they’ve done for other cultures.

Personally, I rather they spend their time fixing problems and producing worthwhile gameplay. I’ve honestly never really bought a pack for the culture they are focusing it on, I buy for the extra gameplay.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    The other day I noticed one of the new necklaces for female Sims has a colour option that is the same as the Australian Aboriginal flag, it got me wondering if perhaps there should be more indigenous representation in the Sims, or if it was something that was just too much risk of getting way wrong (like having Sims wearing first nation head dressed Coachella style, or female Sims being able to play a digeridoo).

What do others think, is more indigenous representation something EA should strive for, or is there just too much of a risk that it wouldn't be done right and would end up being tokenistic or insulting to indigenous cultures? Is this something better left to the CC and Mod creators?

Wait? Females can't play a digeridoo? Is that akin to females not being allowed to play violins in the 18th century because it exposed their elbows, which were considered sexy? :open_mouth: Wow, you learn something everyday.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    It is a product and game, so I would like gameplay to be the focus. But TS4 seems geared more towards the actual sims' looks and form than TS3 that I started playing; so representation in that respect would sort of be part of 'gameplay' for this iteration.

And a game that focuses so much on casual sandbox gameplay would of course need to take representation into account, and in any case it is a vital focus for any cultural product in media entertainment. I think it is something that should be done with subtelty though, again with the main focus adding actual gameplay features with depth. Which world, and what kind of sims and objects the next addition is set in and comes with should not be the main cause, but more of a side effect to an idea.
    Ideas cannot be separated from cultural habits though. What a conundrum.

I would definitely buy a pack with a world associative of Australia, no matter never having been there; building lots in a sims' world of it would be very interesting.
    But the representation of equality between sexes, and of representation of non-heteronormativity of gender, would break with an idea of making certain actions unavailable to sims, and this based on gender. The game is a sandbox with replayability as a clear drive, it’s openness and randomness would not support such a feature. If it did I would stop being a customer to it. Representation is not always strictly replication, but can be negotiation as well.

I think TS4 is better at representing variation; I was only appalled at how it was done in TS3. I think it would be done the same way as everything else in game, silly and shallow and from the perspective of US culture. Not necessarily a bad way; and the game is still entertaining, which for me is the main point of playing it.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited November 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'm all for anything that's not western/USA Culture ... as long as it's done well and respectfully for the culture being depicted.

Something fresh and new.

Also, I would like something historic or even better, futuristic.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

But would it be? I have feeling they’d insist on using the Freezer Bunny like they did in Jungle Adventures and the Hispanic culture update from last month.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member

Wait? Females can't play a digeridoo? Is that akin to females not being allowed to play violins in the 18th century because it exposed their elbows, which were considered sexy? :open_mouth: Wow, you learn something everyday.

It's complicated, some indigenous tribes here have no restrictions on it, others have restrictions based on whether it's ceremonial or just played for recreation, still others have a strict taboo on women playing the instrument.

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited November 2020

It's complicated, some indigenous tribes here have no restrictions on it, others have restrictions based on whether it's ceremonial or just played for recreation, still others have a strict taboo on women playing the instrument.

I did not know that!

My only experience with the instrument is through this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56VVtlZCGE

PS.The guy playing the digeridoo in this video is such a hunk. Gonna see if I can find an image to work off to make him in game.

Speaking of which, can sims incorporate celtic culture? Perhaps with faeries?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited November 2020
    I just hope they'll make the game less of an American simulator in the future. Sims is played worldwide it's not just Americans that play it, we need more worlds inspired by other places and not just as vacation worlds
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited November 2020
    The last time they tried to introduce that with SE there was a controversy for no reason. I rather stick to Americanized/western culture. Gameplay is more important to me anyway.
    Onverser wrote: »
    I just hope they'll make the game less of an American simulator in the future. Sims is played worldwide it's not just Americans that play it, we need more worlds inspired by other places and not just as vacation worlds

100% agreed.

I'd like to see a world with only 1 giant lot (perhaps an island) where there is NO walkby, NO visitors, no world structures as background, NOTHING but the lot and trees and hills/cliffs/mountain/sea/SCENERY that we can use.

I don't feel like Sims 4 has done very well with their original sell point of "YOU create".

No, we are limited in OUR creations because we have to play within theirs.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited November 2020

I’ve played a didgeridoo before. Don’t tell anyone. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing that information. I had no idea about that.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    fullspiral wrote: »

PS.The guy playing the digeridoo in this video is such a hunk. Gonna see if I can find an image to work off to make him in game.

Speaking of which, can sims incorporate celtic culture? Perhaps with faeries?

Got'im

NXXRLqQ.png
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »

So have I, tried to at least. I've also had an indigenous gentleman try to show me the correct technique for playing a digeridoo, so the taboo on women playing is definitely not universal across all the different groups. It's just the groups that do have very strict taboos on who can play, or even construct a digeridoo can understandably feel very angered and upset when, for example, Ellen Degeneres plays a digeridoo on US television. It's one of those things that's a bit of a cultural minefield.

Rouensims wrote: »

So have I, tried to at least. I've also had an indigenous gentleman try to show me the correct technique for playing a digeridoo, so the taboo on women playing is definitely not universal across all the different groups. It's just the groups that do have very strict taboos on who can play, or even construct a digeridoo can understandably feel very angered and upset when, for example, Ellen Degeneres plays a digeridoo on US television. It's one of those things that's a bit of a cultural minefield.

I get it. And I find it extremely interesting. Thanks for the enlightenment!

The US needs to have far more respect for other countries and cultures than they do...
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    An interesting question would be if Simmers often play with the premade Sims from Sulani.
    edited November 2020
    An interesting question would be if Simmers often play with the premade Sims from Sulani.

I never play premades. Never have since original Sims. I thought the "Newby" tutorial was to show me how to make and play my own game. So that's what I have always done from 1 to now.

I play Nalani sometimes (does she count?), and I had a sim marry Lia, but I don’t play with premades that much.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited November 2020
    They just tried to incorporate more culture in Snowy Escape and it got deleted. Im very interested in them adding more culture but im opposed when they allow social media to pick and choose what should be represented or rewritten. If it turns into that, id rather it stay Americanized and focus on gameplay.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I know that a lot of players are tired of seeing America mainly the US in their games but I want more native american representation. I feel like StrangerVille because of it's location could of had that but no it was a more Rural Americana.

It doesn't have to be a pack the goes deep in their culture but nods to it and sims that are native would be nice.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,872 Member
    I would like some Native American/First Nations representation.
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I know that a lot of players are tired of seeing America mainly the US in their games but I want more native american representation. I feel like StrangerVille because of it's location could of had that but no it was a more Rural Americana.

It doesn't have to be a pack the goes deep in their culture but nods to it and sims that are native would be nice.

First Nations/Native Americans are indeed exempt from "no more America" I'm thinking typical Western Culture USA.
    I wonder if it’d help if they collaborated with First Nations/Native Americans and stuck with the kind of thing they share with outsiders instead of things that are sacred. Stuff like moccasins because their crafters sell those to people nearby (though that might not be universal?)
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I wonder if it’d help if they collaborated with First Nations/Native Americans and stuck with the kind of thing they share with outsiders instead of things that are sacred. Stuff like moccasins because their crafters sell those to people nearby (though that might not be universal?)

They would probably be better off to pick a specific nation or group of culturally similar nations and work with them rather than trying to get a "universal" Native American/First Nations inspired pack. There's a lot of variation out there.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2020
    I wouldn't hold my breath, they couldn't even get the Japanese one right, How about instead of during a USA themed pack why not go with a Canadian themed pack, it'll be cross between city living & outdoor retreat there'll be three types of areas, urban city residential area, a woodland forest area and a snow covered area, As a Canadian I personally wouldn't mind or be offended if the Sims team went with the usual stereotypes of my country like a lumberjack career, maple syrup themed build items, Canoes, Hunting & Canoeing skill, death by Canadian Geese, Death by Wolverine and a playable sasquatch or wendigo Occult and it'll also cover aboriginal culture too, since we didn't try to kill them when we first arrived unlike our dumb American cousins.