Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin Game Repair Takes A Long Time - What's Changed??

Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
Has anyone noticed that repairing the game takes a very long time compared to how short of a time it used to take? A game repair used to take maximum 10 mins and that's with all the packs installed. As of recent, repairing the game can take 10-20 mins for just 1 pack. Multiple that by 39 packs and you can imagine how long it's taking for my game to repair.

With today's patch, stating to repair the game to correct the infinite loading screens....which I'm doing & now repair is taking infinite time. What has changed and why is it taking so long? Curious to hear other Simmers experiences with Origin game repair & if there is anything that can be done to fix how long it takes.

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I noticed this with the last patch. It kept going through and repairing each pack over and over again, like a never ending cycle. I had to manually "Clear" each pack after it had repaired them, otherwise it just tried to Repair them again. Very strange!
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    edited November 2020
    @bixters Yes, it is very strange. My game has been repairing for almost an hour and there's still 9 more packs to repair. I usually avoid repairing the game due to how long it takes....but I have the infinite loading screen bug that came with today's patch, and the Gurus said to do a game repair to fix. Let's just say I'm not a very happy Simmer lol.
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    mine too been taking a long time it would not run from steam so had too a repair
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited November 2020
    This is me soo much! It freezes about 10 packs in(about 1 hour in) and says error occurs and it moves to a next pack and then again freezes and then crashes😤😤 this was happening since October probably earlier but only in October I needed to repair. Game and couldn’t
    “Me too” this if you can, try the instructions the EA mods give, haven’t worked at all for me tho
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/origin-error-code-327682-12/td-p/9494460
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Mine took forever when I repaired. I think it took 1hr to repair my whole game and origin was really slow so barely responded when clicking windows. I hope this is an issue that gets resolved cause I'm in the habit of repairing my game for every major patch and I don't want to regret doing so lol
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    Yep, the last time I repaired my game it took for-freaking-ever! I don’t even have all the packs. It took about two hours or so...
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah repairing takes way too long, I don't know why they changed it other than maybe they are getting it ready for EA Desktop? I have no idea. Maybe @SimGuruNick or @SimQARobo can shed some light on it. I thought it was just me since having EA Desktop, but I guess not.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    Yes, I also see origins very slow repair, Origin is also running my CPU at 100%, so I am reluctant to use it.
  • ElnVldElnVld Posts: 22 Member
    Yes, now Origin app 100% CPU usage while repairing The Sims 4. And because of this, the repair takes several hours. :(
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I had this problem too: the error; the incredibly extended time it took; the neverending finalizing; CPU usage 100%; packs being reiterated in repair cue.

I tried several things, but what 'solved' it, that is, what makes the repair go through in a couple of minutes with no hickups or errors; was to shut down my computer protection completely, then repair, then start protection again. Origin is shifty..
  • turmalina007turmalina007 Posts: 118 Member
    Yes,it was crazy! I had this yesterday on my new laptop.It took as long as downloading whole pack so it took about 5 hours to all be done. And Origin was freezing and keep posting error codes.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    edited November 2020
    I have not repaired in a while, but whenever I do I am in no hurry. I never checked how long it took, it would be like when backing up my game, I'll just do something else. Repairing is a major task, especially after the huge Nov 10 patch, I guess it is supposed to take a while. If the game actually gets repairs I find it worth the time it takes.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I just updated and repaired, it was quick.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Repairing your game doesn’t wipe any saves out does it? Should you remove mods and cc before you do it?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2020
    This is me soo much! It freezes about 10 packs in(about 1 hour in) and says error occurs and it moves to a next pack and then again freezes and then crashes😤😤 this was happening since October probably earlier but only in October I needed to repair. Game and couldn’t
    “Me too” this if you can, try the instructions the EA mods give, haven’t worked at all for me tho
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/origin-error-code-327682-12/td-p/9494460

This use to happen to me. Have you tried uninstalling origin, installing again to make sure you have the latest update? And right clicking on it run as administrator?
    I think an origin update fixed mine.
    Oh and if you have cc removed mods folder first. That reduces time also. My repair takes long but goes smoothly. I just repair while I'm doing something else then come back for it later. It always took long for me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2020
    A repair does not remove the user files, it updates the program/installation files.

This is what EA says about repair, scroll down on the page:
    https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/my-game-downloaded-through-origin-but-will-not-install/
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

This use to happen to me. Have you tried uninstalling origin, installing again to make sure you have the latest update? And right clicking on it run as administrator?
    I think an origin update fixed mine.
    Oh and if you have cc removed mods folder first. That reduces time also. My repair takes long but goes smoothly. I just repair while I'm doing something else then come back for it later. It always took long for me.

I did, didn’t work. Still toook too long, crashed after 1 hour in but atleast it got through more packs before it crashed
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I just tried it and it took less than 10 minutes. I don't think it usually takes that long, but it was pretty quick.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I have not bothered to repair my game in awhile since there are so many complaints about how long it takes these days. I can only surmise that the ongoing upgrade by EA to switch us over to an App version may have something to do with it?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    This started happening to me (and others) with the September 3rd patch. It took 8 hours to repair all 38 packs. It usually only took a few minutes before this. You can read the thread about it here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17668704#Comment_17668704

Something with Origin really has changed. It's been said it has something to do with the new EA/Origin Desktop App but I don't understand how this would affect those not using it.

I didn't repair after the October patch came out as I normally would but the November patch was so big, I decided to try it again to see if things were better. No such luck. My game did suffer crashing so I need this new update, but I'm really hoping this new hotfix patch works properly so I don't have to repair again.

Would somebody please tell me how to cancel all the packs from being repaired so it will only repair the base game (and maybe any new pack recently downloaded)?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    edited November 2020
    I repaired my game after the first patch just to be safe. Stepped away from my laptop to grab some coffee and it was done when I returned. Took about 10 minutes or less. All packs installed.

I only have one save and a total of 91 sims so maybe that's a factor.
  • Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    Currently repairing my game after the new update just to be safe and it really takes more time than usually. :|
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I repaired my game today and what usually takes around 10 minutes took two hours!
  • Madachan88Madachan88 Posts: 360 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I repaired my game today and what usually takes around 10 minutes took two hours!

Same mine took 1 hour and I needed to repair twice since the first time origin borked out after some packs in.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes, I ran Repair a few weeks ago and it took for-ever, like, an hour or two. It also tied up my PC as I couldn't effectively use it for anything else until Repair stopped hogging all the resources. Repair used to finish very quickly for me.