Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Snowy Escape: Shockingly Disappointing

SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
I'm not happy to be writing any of this, and I'm certainly not happy to be feeling this way. I've been excited for this pack since its announcement, and I want more than anything for it to succeed. Alas, it seems a rather large let down. Before I go any further, I will say that it is possible that some of these experiences may be bugs or isolated to my game. That being said, here are issues that have arisen after less than an hour of gameplay.

1: The home screen graphic is still the Eco Lifestyle render. Why? Is this a bug, or is this just extremely sloppy oversight?
2: Clubs. @EA why do you keep adding club interactions, acting like you actually still care about clubs, and yet fail to repair the core issues/bugs that have since rendered the club system nearly useless? Clubs are a fantastic feature, but they have become almost unusable. You've again added various new actions (snowboarding, skiing, hiking, rock climbing, sledding) and yet even when these are set as club actions, no members do them autonomously. They never leave the boundaries of the lot. AND, the icon for the sledding activity is a cube with a question mark (not a sled of any kind). Again, sloppy oversight. Clubs are probably my favorite feature of the Sims 4 as a whole. I (used to) get giddy when they would add new actions and club requirements (Servo requirement still nowhere to be seen though) . However, increasingly the new actions added are not programmed well, and/or they just outright don't work. Adding insult to injury, since the latest update, non-household clubs no longer seem to auto gather when I visit community lots. I'm truly at a loss.
3: Community lots in the ski area appear to spawn no Sims. This is presumably because they're all out skiing and snowboarding. I get the importance of making the slopes active, and you've done well with that. BUT, the onsen and any other community lot in that neighborhood should not be a GHOST TOWN. I went to the onsen and it's more dead than a Sims 3 nightclub. Not an exaggeration. Not one other sim came in during my 12 in-game hours spent there. Update: I returned again while not on a vacation and there were other Sims spawning on the lot. This may have been a one-time quirk.
4: This next one is a personal qualm, but why can't we place/hang snowboards and skis on the wall? This seems like a missed opportunity. Who stores/decorates with skis and snowboards by placing them on the ground? I am a life long snowboarder. This irks me. In real life it can damage the board and is a massive tripping/slipping/fall hazard. Obviously, neither of those are issues in a video game, but storing them on the ground also just looks wrong. I'd like to hang them up in my teen sims room. The ski coat rack is cute and all, but not quite the right vibe for all situations.
5: The snowboard rack item is only décor, not a storage object....why?

The list goes on, but I am tired. I am tired that after 6 years of being the kind of person that would defend TS4 from posts like these, I once again stayed up until midnight for a pack that I was so eager for, only to be let down more than ever before. And now, I am the one writing this kind of post.

Not to mention, this all occurred while having to restart my game twice because of a game crashing bug brought on by Tuesday's patch.

For the last six years I have been a hold out as far as extreme criticism for the Sims 4 goes, but I can't ignore it anymore. This is just sad. I paid forty bucks to have excitement turned directly into frustration, and I am not happy about it in the slightest. I could not have imagined being this disappointed. Do better Sims Team.
Post edited by SappySifaka on

Comments

• GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    I second the club system failures in each and every pack. It is such a good investment game play wise and it seems they just add in activities, but don't test them since none of the new activities can be done by club members for multiple reasons. It is so annoying!
    Can we now actually hold club meetings everywhere? like at vacation spots since vacationing should be possible anywhere now? That has also been one of those club system failures for me.

It seems The Sims 4 looses it's few systems that rose above previous games with smooth routing, fullers lots, faster picking up on tasks etc. Now I see that these systems are starting to look like The Sims 3 and that's the reason why I couldn't stand to play it most of the time. Empty lots is bad and it ruins stories.
    At least they could create a system where sims would stop skying and snowboarding when it gets dark to visit some of the community lots. And those 'packed' festivals Graham was talking about were already shown to be kind of dull and empty on the stream. I understand your disappointment completely.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I don’t understand the comments about community lots, I tried out the onsen lot and the lounge and both became very full of sims.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I also have sims in the onsen and community lots. There were tons of people at the Festival of Snow I attended too. Maybe try repairing your game?
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I have the complete opposite effect with clubs, all the sims excessively perform the actions over and over and over.

Try making a club of Spellcasters and allow them to cast spells. See what happens lol

Fire. Fire everywhere.

—T
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Try making a club of Spellcasters and allow them to cast spells. See what happens lol

Fire. Fire everywhere.

—T
    can confirm this, very fun :)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• ehud8651ehud8651 Posts: 62 Member
    I have the complete opposite effect with clubs, all the sims excessively perform the actions over and over and over.

Fire. Fire everywhere.

—T

Did that, Done that
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I don’t understand the comments about community lots, I tried out the onsen lot and the lounge and both became very full of sims.

Yes actually, I don't have this issue either, that sounds like some sort of bug. Because the Onsen was pretty normally filled with people; and there were a couple of sims hanging out at the bar as well.
  • TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    edited November 2020
    This patch broke clubs sims will No longer change into club outfits and I am so upset about it @SimGuru_BGY_11 @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruHydra
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

—T

As opposed to my game where my evil club now are so friendly to others.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited November 2020
    I had the exact opposite reaction to SE. I was... Not impressed during the reveal. I wanted a winter world and an Asian world, and doing them together had me thinking they would both end up underserved. Since then, I have been warming up to SE. Especially due to lifestyles (and the fact that I wanted this stuff, limited or not).

I would not call SE ground breaking, but it is one of my favorite packs now and I feel I have barely gotten into it.

Granted, I roll my eyes at some things and see a lot of repeats. Plus I have had no real trouble with the patch. My game loads a little slower and sometimes the pathing freaks out, but nothing I haven't been able to deal with. Not a single crash or ruined save on my end.
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Why can’t we hang snowboards/skis on the wall! That’s a great point and now I’m angry.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,017 Member
    I'm mad that this thread's title doesn't have an ice pun. Something like "Snowy Escape left me cold."

Haven't played the pack yet, but the snowboard thing drives me up the wall. We already have skateboard wall decore, they couldn't have just recycled that a bit? And I wanted storage for snow boards because I don't want my sim's having unneeded iventory items all the time.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    Adding insult to injury, since the latest update, non-household clubs no longer seem to auto gather when I visit community lots.

Are you serious?!

I haven't played for a few days. My save is built around clubs auto gathering. This is awful.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm surprised to see disappointment with this pack. I'm finding it to be one of the most enjoyable packs in a very long time. It has some issues that bother me like townies from other worlds everywhere and some annoying new autonomy issues but over all I'm satisfied with it so far.

I took my sims to the onsen bath house and there were plenty of other sims there. I was actually annoyed by it because they were sims from other worlds and I'd rather just see the locals in this world.

As for clubs I don't really bother with them that much in my game so it's not really an issue that bothers me. I'm sure they will fix it eventually.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see disappointment with this pack. I'm finding it to be one of the most enjoyable packs in a very long time. It has some issues that bother me like townies from other worlds everywhere and some annoying new autonomy issues but over all I'm satisfied with it so far.

I took my sims to the onsen bath house and there were plenty of other sims there. I was actually annoyed by it because they were sims from other worlds and I'd rather just see the locals in this world.

As for clubs I don't really bother with them that much in my game so it's not really an issue that bothers me. I'm sure they will fix it eventually.

I agree! This the first pack I’ve had so much excitement over. I’ve played a bit and can’t wait to go back. I’m also not seeing a lack of Sims at lots, I get so many. As for the clubs I use them sparingly and mainly for my kids to have play clubs.

There are things the team needs to address but the fun factor isn’t one of them, at least for me.

• SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
    Adding insult to injury, since the latest update, non-household clubs no longer seem to auto gather when I visit community lots.

Are you serious?!

I haven't played for a few days. My save is built around clubs auto gathering. This is awful.

Sadly, yes. It seems like it only applies to certain scenarios though. All of my clubs that gather at cafes seem to still be gathering autonomously. Although, they don't really perform any of their club activities anymore. Meanwhile, none of the 5 differen't clubs that I have set to gather at bars have been gathering. I've visited again and again, tried different times of day etc., still nothing. Previously, at least one or two would gather every time I visited the bar. Other issues are club uniforms seem to have stopped working, at least in some scenarios. Also, my clubs no longer go to their dedicated hangout room even when there is a club door assigned to them. It's all painfully broken, at least in my game, which I play vanilla.
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm mad that this thread's title doesn't have an ice pun. Something like "Snowy Escape left me cold."

Haven't played the pack yet, but the snowboard thing drives me up the wall. We already have skateboard wall decore, they couldn't have just recycled that a bit? And I wanted storage for snow boards because I don't want my sim's having unneeded iventory items all the time.

Dang! I really dropped the ball on the title. And here I am criticizing EA for missed opportunities. :D
    But yes, couldn't agree more on the snowboards.
    edited November 2020

Are you serious?!

Sadly, yes. It seems like it only applies to certain scenarios though. All of my clubs that gather at cafes seem to still be gathering autonomously. Although, they don't really perform any of their club activities anymore. Meanwhile, none of the 5 differen't clubs that I have set to gather at bars have been gathering. I've visited again and again, tried different times of day etc., still nothing. Previously, at least one or two would gather every time I visited the bar. Other issues are club uniforms seem to have stopped working, at least in some scenarios. Also, my clubs no longer go to their dedicated hangout room even when there is a club door assigned to them. It's all painfully broken, at least in my game, which I play vanilla.

Come to think of it, I think it may be clubs specifically at bars that are broken. I noticed that special nights at the bar (ghost night, bear night, knight night, alien night, etc.) started working again for me with the last patch. For a least 6 months, relevant sims had not been spawning. With the recent patch, they have started to spawn again on their respective nights. However, now it seems club gatherings at bars have stopped working properly, at least for me.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I haven't played with my sims club much, they were still in bed when I started it lol, But when my sims got back from a day trip a load of sims turned up at their home. entered and stayed until it was very late. helping them selfs to the bath and food. sims my sims hadn't met.
  • AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member

The list goes on, but I am tired. I am tired that after 6 years of being the kind of person that would defend TS4 from posts like these, I once again stayed up until midnight for a pack that I was so eager for, only to be let down more than ever before. And now, I am the one writing this kind of post.

Not to mention, this all occurred while having to restart my game twice because of a game crashing bug brought on by Tuesday's patch.

For the last six years I have been a hold out as far as extreme criticism for the Sims 4 goes, but I can't ignore it anymore. This is just sad. I paid forty bucks to have excitement turned directly into frustration, and I am not happy about it in the slightest. I could not have imagined being this disappointed. Do better Sims Team.

I find it interesting that it took you this long. This is a tale as old as time it shouldn't be surprising anymore; its EA. All of the EPs so far have been disappointing and not worth the $40 price tag (except, perhaps Seasons). And yet you defended it all up until this point...and your breaking point is not being able to hang snowboards on a wall.

Its little things and even bigger issues like these that plenty of simmers (mainly veterans who have come from the previous generations) have been complaining about time and time again ever since The Sims 4 disastrous base game launch, and yet we have players like you instead of pointing out the flaws to EA and providing productive criticism you instead defend and encourage the greedy crumb-like development behavior we see from EA now with this sad generation of sims. Its a little too late to start complaining now considering we're now 10 EPs in, and seeing as how this is EA they'll probably release a couple more disappointments just to milk it all as much as possible. Enjoy the monster you have helped foster, and here's hoping they fix the bugs ASAP; though they have proven incredibly slow in the past.
    <3
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    I have to qualify my statement with the fact that my Sim is a Global Superstar, as such all kinds of people began to collect around him. In fact, many of them thought nothing of letting themselves into his rental home. At least two of them were Paparazzi. That being said, my biggest complaint was in the fact that it is nearly impossible to navigate in this vacation town. Unlike the jungle where if you hit map view you can select a place to go. No, if I do that, I get pulled right back to the permanent residence of my Sim. I could find no way for him to get to onsen. After a grueling, painful day on the Bunny Slopes (yeah, I wrote Bunny Slopes) with his wife, they both could have really used a nice soak in the public bath/spa. Later on, after I shut down my game I'll have pictures. :) Other than that, I found it reasonably fun. Mind you this couple took three of their four children with them. All three are Toddlers. The infant they left in the care of his aunt and uncle.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I don't look at the pack as a separate game to work through. I use all of it to enhance my other worlds and don't find it disappointing. There are some issues like the semi-round platforms not working properly inside but I've got enough to keep me enjoying the game for a long time yet.

Perhaps we are dividing into those who play the game as a community like me and those who just want to play one family and the latter doesn't work well anymore. This is evident from Eco Lifestyle on.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I have to qualify my statement with the fact that my Sim is a Global Superstar, as such all kinds of people began to collect around him. In fact, many of them thought nothing of letting themselves into his rental home. At least two of them were Paparazzi. That being said, my biggest complaint was in the fact that it is nearly impossible to navigate in this vacation town. Unlike the jungle where if you hit map view you can select a place to go. No, if I do that, I get pulled right back to the permanent residence of my Sim. I could find no way for him to get to onsen. After a grueling, painful day on the Bunny Slopes (yeah, I wrote Bunny Slopes) with his wife, they both could have really used a nice soak in the public bath/spa. Later on, after I shut down my game I'll have pictures. :) Other than that, I found it reasonably fun. Mind you this couple took three of their four children with them. All three are Toddlers. The infant they left in the care of his aunt and uncle.

Hit M and click on the Onsen which is right by the slopes. Works just like every other place for me.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2020
    For me I wish I could use all the neighborhoods and take all the benefits and use them but it is much more than what they can offer that I wish for and for me it is inbred in me to be able to expand my my neighborhoods and change them at will but I can't for EA/Maxis is controlling my creativity unlike the previous versions that did let me edit, change, add what I wish within reason of course. Most of the packs are gimped and by them being gimped so is my creativity and that is how I view Sims 4 and sadly always even if this pack is great for one pack that intrigued me was GT.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member
    Trimoth wrote: »
    This patch broke clubs sims will No longer change into club outfits and I am so upset about it @SimGuru_BGY_11 @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruHydra

Drake is no longer working for EA. Hydra is also no longer working in the Sims.