Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best and worst Thanksgiving/holiday foods?

NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
What did you love, or hate, that was served every year at Thanksgiving or whatever holiday about this time of year involves a special meal?
Will you seek to have or serve the same foods now, or are there some you're glad to no longer have to face?
Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Comments

• WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited November 2020
    Hello. I can't comment on Thanksgiving I'm afraid, as have never had one over here, but will give the nearest holidays a go. There is one signature Halloween treat I've always liked since childhood and those are toffee apples. I've never attempted to make my own but remember making chocolate versions and decorating them with sweets as a child. (Apples dipped in dark chocolate... now there's a thought. 😋)

For Christmas, we usually have roast turkey with all the trimmings; veg, gravy stuffing, pigs in blankets. The only part of this I don't really like are the sprouts and am not big on gravy either (I don't like my food too soggy). Dessert is fruity and nutty Christmas pudding with custard 😋. Given the choice, I'd actually prefer a chocolate yule log, but it's become a family tradition to have the Christmas pud. I don't really mind too much what the food is, as long as we can all get together and have a laugh.

I can quite happily eat turkey at any time of the year (and do). I have also eaten Christmas puddings at other times of the year too (my family like to try different varieties in advance!)

There was one Christmas where we made and iced a generously sized gingerbread house, and it was scrumptious! Only downside was I ended up spending a week trying to finish eating it before it went off, and mostly on my own, as the rest of my family had had enough of it by then. It defeated me in the end and I learned in future to slightly restrict my gingerbread consumption. 😁 It was fun to make though.

Sorry for the slightly waffling reply.

What are your favourites and least favourites?
    Post edited by WhatCobblers on
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I enjoyed your reply, @WhatCobblers, and learning about your Christmas menu traditions.

I gladly don't reproduce the Thanksgiving side dishes I grew up with, as they were catastrophes in Cool-Whip and jello, marshmallows and canned mushroom soup.

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg