Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to avoid a failed ingame load

Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
It's a right pain when you have the perfect plan, and it all goes badly wrong, yes the game fails to load the ingame editor from the CAW, bang your head against wall time :cry:

But why can't you edit ingame from CAW are you ready for the horrible truth:-

You have a bad lot, the reason you can't edit ingame is that one or more of your lots is not working correctly.

Make sure you use conform edges on all your lots and your best testing ingame after each lot you place on the map, it's currently the only work around I'm aware off.

To get your current game working you going to need to delete lots, starting with the most recent lot and work your way backwards, but place a backup of your save on your desktop first, after each delete test the game, if the game loads then bingo that's the bad lot, replace the save with your backup and delete that lot in your backup and the game should load.

A tip for you is place lots in layers of 5 using the Global layer, add layer, if you have this problem again, it will help narrow down the search by deleting a layer at a time, before each test load, it will probable save you hours of testing to find the bad lot.

Not 100% sure why a lot goes bad, but the main culprit seems to be terrain adjustments, but each time you make an adjustment near a lot you should use the conform edges, it should help reduce the risk, but a test will do you no harm.

I hope this info helps somebody, I've been building all week using CAW, I've got in the habit of placing a empty lot and loading the game, my current game as got 60 lots on, I'm on my 8th backup save, each time a lot was the problem, 8 failed loads, so sooner or later, if your building a huge world, you will get hit by this bug, so you either spend 45 seconds loading in game after you place each lot or you run risk of spending many frustrating hours trying to find the culprit for a failed load.

Comments

• lovints2lovints2 Posts: 3,738 New Member
    edited December 2009
    :thumbup: I asked this question earlier , I had this happen 3 different times just to delete each world and start over :shock: This info sure did help me :!:
  • debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm actually going to try your suggestions. Thanks for the tips.

edit: So, I didn't realize that it's better to make layers of lots of up to 5 lots. All of my lots are on one layer. I wonder if this is the issue. thanks again.
  • CitrineMoonCitrineMoon Posts: 396 New Member
    edited December 2009
    ok im understanding more but can you tell me how to put a lot on another layer, because every time i start a new layer it automatically put it on the 1st layer with all the others.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited December 2009
    ok im understanding more but can you tell me how to put a lot on another layer, because every time i start a new layer it automatically put it on the 1st layer with all the others.

Hi,

You need to right click on the layer you want to add to and then click "Make Active Layer" or something close. You will know it's the active layer because it is in bold print.

If you need to move something, a lot or tree, you can click on it in the list panel and then drag it to the right folder.
    Don't click on the actual lot or tree, just the listed lot on the layer...
    This list:
    lotlis.png

You can name the lots in your list so you can find them faster. Just click on the lot you want to name just like any file. This will make it easier to know which lots you didn't delete. :(
    lotnamed.png
    edited December 2009
    Gotcha thanks
    edited December 2009
    Stw402 wrote:
    It's a right pain when you have the perfect plan, and it all goes badly wrong, yes the game fails to load the ingame editor from the CAW, bang your head against wall time :cry:

But why can't you edit ingame from CAW are you ready for the horrible truth:-

You have a bad lot, the reason you can't edit ingame is that one or more of your lots is not working correctly.

Make sure you use conform edges on all your lots and your best testing ingame after each lot you place on the map, it's currently the only work around I'm aware off.

To get your current game working you going to need to delete lots, starting with the most recent lot and work your way backwards, but place a backup of your save on your desktop first, after each delete test the game, if the game loads then bingo that's the bad lot, replace the save with your backup and delete that lot in your backup and the game should load.

A tip for you is place lots in layers of 5 using the Global layer, add layer, if you have this problem again, it will help narrow down the search by deleting a layer at a time, before each test load, it will probable save you hours of testing to find the bad lot.

Not 100% sure why a lot goes bad, but the main culprit seems to be terrain adjustments, but each time you make an adjustment near a lot you should use the conform edges, it should help reduce the risk, but a test will do you no harm.

I hope this info helps somebody, I've been building all week using CAW, I've got in the habit of placing a empty lot and loading the game, my current game as got 60 lots on, I'm on my 8th backup save, each time a lot was the problem, 8 failed loads, so sooner or later, if your building a huge world, you will get hit by this bug, so you either spend 45 seconds loading in game after you place each lot or you run risk of spending many frustrating hours trying to find the culprit for a failed load.

Well, your advice helped me to find the culprit in my game. I was able to narrow it down to a single lot that was causing the crash. I'm still not sure why there's a problem with the lot, so I just deleted it and I'm now able to edit-in-game.
    thanks
    edited December 2009
    So, I figured out what was wrong with my mysterious lot. Apparently, there were broken pieces of road underneath it. When I deleted the lot, I didn't see any roads, so I just decided to click around to see if there was something wrong with that particular area of map. Much to my surprise, I see those blue squares that are associated with roads. The road was invisible, but I could see the squares. Once I deleted the squares, i was able to place a lot there and edit in game without any crashes.
    edited December 2009
    Interesting because i have 2 lots that i get crashes with every time i start edit-in game ill delete the surrounding roads to see if there is anything under them thanks.
    edited December 2009
    Interesting because i have 2 lots that i get crashes with every time i start edit-in game ill delete the surrounding roads to see if there is anything under them thanks.
    Hm...im not sure why these lots are crashing the edit-in game. its just these 2 spots. if i delete them and make another lot somewhere else, the edit in game works great but in these 2 spots, im not sure. I confirm the edges but that still doesn't work any suggestions?
    edited December 2009
    Hm...im not sure why these lots are crashing the edit-in game. its just these 2 spots. if i delete them and make another lot somewhere else, the edit in game works great but in these 2 spots, im not sure. I confirm the edges but that still doesn't work any suggestions?

Have you checked the streets near this lot? I had to delete the problem lot and the streets near it to figure out the problem. After I deleted the lot and streets and just used the select tool and clicked all around the area. That's how I discovered the missing and invisible broken roads.
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited December 2009

I had a spot in my game, for what ever reason it would not let me build at that location, it was a flat land with nothing around the lot, I tried everything, gave up in the end and moved on. I went back to the same location and several days later and the lot placement worked first time.

You can try this method:-
    Remove all objects around where you wish to build the lot, including Plants,trees etc. Flat the area so it's level with the road, double check the area you are building on for any left over objects, small road bits etc and try a rebuild. If the game loads you might need to edit the terrain to smooth out the area, if you need to do this do another re-load when you have finished your edit, good luck
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys both advices work i re-flatted the land and i clicked around for a while and found a blue square so i deleted twice and now i can edit these lots. You guys rock. My city Pensola is still a work in progress but im going to introduce it a little later. Again thanks :)
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys both advices work i re-flatted the land and i clicked around for a while and found a blue square so i deleted twice and now i can edit these lots. You guys rock. My city Pensola is still a work in progress but im going to introduce it a little later. Again thanks :)

I'm glad you got it to work. I think EA needs to give us some sort of patch so that when we delete a road, invisible bits and pieces of it don't linger.
  • Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm pleased it's working, perhaps some kind moderator might sticky this thread, it's a common problem and very time wasteing to fix if you get this problem.
  • RainyavielRainyaviel Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    Hmm yes, I tried this. As the neighborhood I was working on had really big number of lots, I made a new one for test. New small flat world.. I placed there a road, two intersections and a lot, everything perfectly flat and snapped to the grid.
    And the ingame load stopped at very beginning. I waited something about 15 minutes, if it won't continue, but it hadn't.

What else can be wrong with that?
  • PrettyBluLuvPrettyBluLuv Posts: 44 New Member
    edited December 2009
    This should be helpful since I am having issues now after my hard 2 days of work... lol

BUMP
  • thecartmanthecartman Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    I tried it didnt work work. is any other way to make in gmae work pesides starting all over.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited January 2011
    Try the tips in this trouble shooting guide. I really thought the corrupted lot would be your problem. I haven't heard of any of these other things causing issues since the third version of Caw came out. Let me know if any of these things help. If you try these things, and it's still not working, PM me at TS3CC and upload the Caw files, I'll check them on my PC and see what happens. link in my siggy.

Good luck :-)