Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Platforms are difficult!

The gamechangers made it look so easy. I can put a platform in a room but as soon as I let go of the platform tool I can't select the platform again, the whole building goes up and down on a foundation.

Comments

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Oh I was using the wrong button. Don't mind me :)
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    edited November 2020
    It is kind of difficult. I’m trying to do the lowered entrance and it’s not working how I thought it would lol

Edit: I figured it out and now I feel dumb haha
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Oh... it was released already??? I thought it was next week - been out of town and mostly offline for a couple weeks, lol.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Oh... it was released already??? I thought it was next week - been out of town and mostly offline for a couple weeks, lol.

Just the patch, not the EP, today.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Platforms confused me until I realized I was using the platform arrow instead of the new up and down arrows to raise the platform!!! Just some friendly advice! lol
  • Options
    I'm getting some problems. The roof isn't drawing fully on a house with a platform, and the ladders are refusing to place saying the top must be on a block or terrain. I dare say I'll work it all out eventually
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I was trying to convert this rather awkward looking area into platforms coming from either side, stepping down to meet in the middle, but I don't think it's possible:
    11-10-20_8-15-19%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

You cannot place them next to each other if they are on different floor levels - you get the usual block cluster error. And if you lower the platforms on the higher level, they keep their edges at the original height.
    11-10-20_8-20-26%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

Shame :'(
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I'm getting some problems. The roof isn't drawing fully on a house with a platform, and the ladders are refusing to place saying the top must be on a block or terrain. I dare say I'll work it all out eventually

You just click the top and select add ceiling

• Options
    I was trying to convert this rather awkward looking area into platforms coming from either side, stepping down to meet in the middle, but I don't think it's possible:
    11-10-20_8-15-19%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

You cannot place them next to each other if they are on different floor levels - you get the usual block cluster error. And if you lower the platforms on the higher level, they keep their edges at the original height.
    11-10-20_8-20-26%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

Shame :'(

One long platform connecting and then two smaller platforms on top on both sides.

• Options
    One long platform connecting and then two smaller platforms on top on both sides.
    If you do one platform reaching from one side to the other it instantly sets at the current floor height (rather than the grass height), then there is no way to lower it towards the grass height because the sides stay up.

What I was trying to do was use platforms instead of stairs to get down to the ground.
  • Options
    If you do one platform reaching from one side to the other it instantly sets at the current floor height (rather than the grass height), then there is no way to lower it towards the grass height because the sides stay up.

What I was trying to do was use platforms instead of stairs to get down to the ground.

What do you mean by sides stay up?

• Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    The first posts in this thread are so funny haha

Thanks for the input tho, I probably would have done the same mistake!
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

Maybe it will work if you replace the foundations with platforms?
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2020
    If a house is made and a plattform placed which is later removed, there is an empty space in the flat ceiling matching it. I don’t think it matters though, and it is only visible when walls are completely down, and looking at the roof level.

Edit: Though there is a line on the floor where it used to be.
    Edit 2: No! I fixed it by removing the empty room space; both the line and the hole.
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Game changers make everything look easy, they’ve had more practice... We’ll be able to use the tool eventually.

(I’m not updating my game until Thursday, I’m resting!)
  • Options
    What do you mean by sides stay up?
    This:

11-10-20_11-18-35%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Maybe it will work if you replace the foundations with platforms?
    Genius! Thank you <3 I didn't want to change the original lot until I was sure it would work, so I tried it on an empty lot:

11-10-20_11-17-23%C2%A0PM.png?dl=0

So, we now have a way to make diagonal stairs!
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited November 2020
    11-11-20-2-08-20-AM.png
    I have tried this three times and it still wont acknowledge the living room is a room, I have a roof over it and I still have it snowing in my living room. is anyone else having problems. ?? I have a slight sunken kitchen, a raised bed room and a raised bathroom.
  • Options
    11-11-20-2-08-20-AM.png
    I have tried this three times and it still wont acknowledge the living room is a room, I have a roof over it and I still have it snowing in my living room. is anyone else having problems. ?? I have a slight sunken kitchen, a raised bed room and a raised bathroom.

Do you have a ceiling? Those aren’t the same as having a roof.

• Options
    Do you have a ceiling? Those aren’t the same as having a roof.

I thought in TS4 roofs were weatherproof? I know in earlier games the space under a roof wasn't regarded as indoors, but Kate Emerald does a lot with ceilingless attics and she says her builds are weatherproof.
  • Options
    no ceiling. I made the kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms, then joined with a wall the bedroom wall to the bathroom wall in an oblong shape, hold on I'll take pics. it let me place a ceiling light above the living room space. but the snow comes in. i have a roof, but no ceiling. and someone suggested you can add a roof by clicking, but clicking where??? I also tried making a flat roof with the platforms, like Ytube says you can. it still snowed inside, so I added a short gate but that takes away the look of a flat room made with the platforms. hold on I'll add more pics. maybe someone can tell me what I have done wrong.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    no ceiling. I made the kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms, then joined with a wall the bedroom wall to the bathroom wall in an oblong shape, hold on I'll take pics. it let me place a ceiling light above the living room space. but the snow comes in. i have a roof, but no ceiling. and someone suggested you can add a roof by clicking, but clicking where??? I also tried making a flat roof with the platforms, like Ytube says you can. it still snowed inside, so I added a short gate but that takes away the look of a flat room made with the platforms. hold on I'll add more pics. maybe someone can tell me what I have done wrong.

Put your walls up and go up to the next level, click on the rooms and you should see a yellow highlighted area, click add ceiling on the yellow highlighted part.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Has anyone tried to knit something after adding a platform inside? I have a platform for the bedroom and in the living room area I told my sim to knit something and she can't. She has both the basket and bag in her inventory.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Has anyone tried to knit something after adding a platform inside? I have a platform for the bedroom and in the living room area I told my sim to knit something and she can't. She has both the basket and bag in her inventory.

She's probably just far too excited about her new platform to focus on knitting. She doesn't want to drop stitches :)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I did not grab the patch yet, but I know in previous building sessions, what I though was a room turned out to not be a room. It might cause the ceiling issue above. I normally fixed that bu clicking on the floor to see the room borders, then either adjust/move the "invisible" walls, or delete that room and add a new room. I often struggled with this when we got the module stairs. Might be more tricky when the room/house is already equipped, but replacing the room should fix most ceiling problem if there is no easier way.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I go up a level and there isn't the yellow line. just empty space. I'm wondering if it's because I joined the walls to make the living room. so the game doesn't see it as another room. it isnt snowing in my other rooms. here are the pics.
    img}11-11-20-9-41-41-AM.png
    11-11-20-2-08-38-AM.png
    another problem is leaking when putting up wall paper or any other wall covering. I have to do them individually or they leak from outside to inside. has anyone else noticed see the first pic, that you cant place anything next to a platform from another room. I had to use my ALT key to put the fridge there.