Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To Install Store Items

Comments

• SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited November 2020
    Hi @ZeeGee and @ciane

Thanks for the quick responses. I really appreciate it. :)
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @SimLibby I'm going to assume that it was a language thing and your file actually increased to 310 kb. So this response is based on that.
    Increase means higher, going up, right. But 310 kb is less than 176.945 kb. It dropped to that lower number.
    I think what may have happened is you have have had something(s) checked to install that you didn't intend to install. Because the shoes couldn't have increased the file size by that much. It is a good thing that you had a backup so you could revert.
    This is not possible. I only have the item(s) I'm about to install in the downloads folder. So there was nothing there but those shoes. I tried it a second time, only this time I added Riverview: Patterns. Midnight Hollow Standard. Riverview. Retro chair. Bow toe shoes.

This time every thing went ok.

But I just deleted everything and going to start fresh in the morning. It's already after 9 PM over here and I'm still a bit annoyed (ang hungry). The Launcher is acting strange as well. It doesn't show the items immediately when I copy Sims3Packs to the download folder. It normally does show those items right away in the Launcher. This time: it shows some items right away and some after I have re-start the Launcher. Also after installing I get that black window for a while. Which seems strange to me. I just started! There is hardly anything installed and I installed in such small groups and sometimes just one item at a time.

I do want to do my own numbers but I got the sense they are close to Ciane's (for example my patterns where 11.250, Ciane's 11.251). So after I saw that, I was inclined to just go by her numbers. But I do have to do some things different, of course (for example: I only have standard versions of worlds). So I will attempt again to do my own numbers, I wish they where the same as shown as their .Sims3Pack, that would make things so much easier.

I put a post-it on my desktop with "Keep each .ebc file in the dccache folder under 200MB, which is 204,800 kb." Because I got annoyed with checking it constantly in a document (what is the number again?)

Thanks for the other advice. I will surely take it at heart. <3
    So I'm going to stop for today, make myself some dinner and Netflix or something.
    ciane wrote: »
    I didn't back up my .ebc file after every install of every item, but when it was getting large in size and there was a change the install would go over... THEN, I backed up.
    This is more practical. Backing that file up after I installed the chair and again after I installed the shoes, just seemed ridiculous (but that's what I did :#)

About those packages in the DCBackup folder. Ciane, you wrote somewhere some people delete those files and some don't. So I assume its OK I clear out that folder after every installation (of course there is ccmerged, I got that back-upped and I know how to create a new one): cut them to another folder (instead of copy) because looking at the date stamps to decide which files belong to which store item, it's a bit tedious.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2020
    Okay, I think that you might have moved your .ebc file out and just the shoes were installed in a new .ebc file.

So, you just have to move the .ebc file that was 176 something back into the dcCache folder and then install the shoes.

I MOVED all the dcBackup files out of that folder after each install EXCept the ccmerged one, which stays in place for the whole install. I move them to a folder that I name whatever the install package was. So,

A world has a lot of files that get created and you won't know what was a building, clothing, hair, etc. But at least you know all those items came with that world. So I just cut and paste them to a folder called that world within another folder I call dcBackup files.

When it's just one item like the shoes and chair, then it's easy to just rename the file if you prefer.

I believe that less files in the actual game load is better, so I move those files out.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    @SimLibby Oh sorry, I thought that was a decimal point instead of a comma. :neutral: I knew I'd messed that up somehow.

@ciane That is such an awful feeling for the room to be spinning, especially if it comes with nausea. Hope this is a temporary thing and you can get better soon. :heart:
    edited November 2020
    It's been about a month now, and at first, I just stayed in bed and waited it out. Then, I decided waiting it out wasn't working so well. I'm hoping it'll end up being just an ear infection or something, but waiting on a specialty clinic to have an opening after getting a referral is teaching me more patience. :dizzy:
    edited November 2020
    Okay, I think that you might have moved your .ebc file out and just the shoes were installed in a new .ebc file.
    My first response was no. But then I thought: I could easily accidentally hit cut instead of copy with that file. So that explanation makes sense. I just checked it: I only installed the shoes and the .ebc file is 310 kb. Glad you figured that out otherwise it would just have been festering around (what happened there?!?) Never crossed my mind I cut that file instead of copy it.
    I MOVED all the dcBackup files out of that folder after each install EXCept the ccmerged one, which stays in place for the whole install.
    Glad you confirm that for me. Like I said before, I used the date stamp to decide which packages go with which store item but that was so tedious. So I'm going to move all files out (except ccmerged).
    @SimLibby Oh sorry, I thought that was a decimal point instead of a comma. :neutral: I knew I'd messed that up somehow.
    No, it's ok. I got a bit confused though by the question, that's all. I'm glad you took the effort to check if you understood what I was saying. Thanks! And thanks for all your help, all of you (Ciane, Jodi). <3
    Getting a doctor's appointment right now takes an act of Congress, especially for specialty clinics. I finally did get one then they called and rescheduled it for a month later :angry: and my issue isn't anywhere near as annoying or debilitating as yours. Hope you can get in soon and get this taken care of.
    I hope that specialty clinic has soon an opening @ciane so you can be checked if it's indeed an ear infection. I'm sending you some patience. o:) (which, btw, you have tons of it, in case you forgot, just look at your store documents and topics :smiley:).

Over here, a lot of (so called none emergency) appointments and operations are re-scheduled because of COVID. There are not enough doctors, nurses, and such. Some situations are really bad where people are in severe pain for a long time but still, some of those people have to wait as well.
    So, we have solved that problem at least, good!

Yes, COVID numbers are on the rise here and all non-emergency surgeries have to wait. It was hard enough to get into specialty clinics before. (I've learned to just go to my regular doctor and not wait for an appointment, if I really need to. So far, that has actually worked for me.)

I can be a very patient person, so I am just practicing being more patient and sending out positive vibes to all. I hope the month goes by quickly for you and that they maybe even call you earlier to say they have an unexpected opening, @ZeeGee.
    Good luck @ZeeGee. Time is a strange phenomenon, other than is practicality (for booking appointments for example), it mainly exist in our mind (and Mother Earth has situations which you can consider as time). Anyway, often when looking ahead to a period, we think it's long but when looking back, how quickly that goes. So hopefully, that months goes by quickly for you.
    Thanks girls. :heart: I agree, SimLibby. And the older you get, the faster time flies by too.
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    SimLibby wrote: »
    Anyway, often when looking ahead to a period, we think it's long but when looking back, how quickly that goes. So hopefully, that months goes by quickly for you.

@SimLibby - I was just saying the same thing today. Back in April, I didn't know how we were going to manage. Today looking back, I can't believe 7 months have passed since April. With today's hopeful announcement from Pfizer, I keep reminding myself (and others), that spring will be here before we know it. As our Prime Minister said today, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it is not a long tunnel.

@ZeeGee - I second Ciane's wish that time flies and you get your appointment sooner than later.

a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    ^ Thank goodness for relativity @Me1620. :smiley:
    @Me1620 Thanks, Jodi. ❤️

@SimLibby Now that would really be something if the NRaas geniuses could give us a real life relativity mod. 😊

Also I’m right there with you doing a reinstall! My sweetie got me a new laptop. I decided to do an all new download and reinstall instead of just transferring my files. So now I have S3 disc edition on my desktop, Steam edition on my old laptop, and I’m putting Origin on the new laptop so I can install my S2 UC. ALL my bases are covered for future S3 play and store content. 😊
  • FedhirwegFedhirweg Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey there thank you for the guide. I found the spreadsheet helpful but i'm not following 200mb limit thing. Launcher does create another one when it reaches around there automatically. I never had a missing item problem doing that. But one thing bothering me is launcher keeps creating .tmp files that increase the DCCache folder's size to almost double. Deleting them is no help too because launcher keeps recreating them everytime i open it. Do your method creates theese .tmp files or not?
    edited November 2020
    @Fedhirweg Ugh, the dreaded tmp files. We did finally get a solution for those. Create a new text document in your dccache folder, rename it the same name as the tmp file (so change the newdocument.txt to dcdb0.ebc.tmp), then go into properties of that document, edit, and then deny write permissions for every computer user. You'll have to do that for every single ebc file that you have. It will sometimes make your game take a long time to quit, you'll get a black screen for awhile, but it's worth it. (And just a side note, if your internet is turned off you won't get the loooong black screen when you quit).

As for the launcher breaking off the files automatically, yes it does that. But sometimes it will break off in the middle of a set and you will lose items. That's why Ciane developed this method. If you've not had that problem then great! My ebc files before I installed using this method would go up to 250 or 260k sometimes.

P.S. A further note on the tmp files: The only other way not to get them is if you have a pre-2012 base game disc and all your Sims 3 EPs and SPs on discs. Then you can use a shortcut to start the game instead of using the launcher. However, every time you open the launcher for anything, you'll have to delete those stinkin' tmp files again!
    I never thought of creating empty .ebc.tmp files before. I, fortunately, am on the old patch and don't use the launcher except to upload or download a lot. So, I just delete them when I'm done.
    That's a great tip @ZeeGee although I'm also on 1.67 and start the game directly.
    @ciane I thought it was you who originally came up with that idea! And then someone else figured out we had to deny permissions to make it work.

@SimLibby Me too (1.67), but I do it anyway. First because I’m in an SSD and don’t like creating and deleting all those huge files when I have to open the launcher. And second, cause I forget to clear out the tmp files after opening the launcher, get in game, and have some serious lag.
    I use that method for the images pics that always load in a folder - Featured Items. By creating a featured items file, the game can't create a new featured items folder! (I really hate the bloat of pics of things to try and get me to buy something instead of just letting me play the game I already bought! At least, the .tmp files were an effort to avoid having items disappear, or not appear, in game - so at least the sentiment of that was good, though just not executed the best!)
  • FedhirwegFedhirweg Posts: 2 New Member
    @ZeeGee Thanks for the tip on creating a text file. But could these tmp files might be what make me not miss an item even though i have some ebc files over 200mb? I'm on the latest Origin version btw(1.69). Launcher is a lot different compared to the 1.67 version from what i've seen. I know i'm trying to find an excuse for my laziness but still i think that's possible.

When launcher breaks the set into two files( that happened to me a lot of times) have you had the problem of items uninstalling by themselves before using this method? I have too many things installed i wouldn't notice a missing item or two probably so don't trust me on not having the problem. Just haven't realized it even if it happened.
    I'm probably going to do the same @ZeeGee to prevent me to forget as well. Like @ciane I also use that method for FeaturedItems. Only I don't create a FeaturedItem file, I set the properties of that whole folder and deny writing to the whole folder. Btw, ZeeGee, I also have a SSD but have directed all my documents, video's, music and images to D because my SSD, which is on C, has limited space.
    I use that method for the images pics that always load in a folder - Featured Items. By creating a featured items file, the game can't create a new featured items folder! (I really hate the bloat of pics of things to try and get me to buy something instead of just letting me play the game I already bought! At least, the .tmp files were an effort to avoid having items disappear, or not appear, in game - so at least the sentiment of that was good, though just not executed the best!)

Oh yeah! Now I remember. The sentiment was good, but since it was a massive fail I wish they would have discontinued that feature.
    Fedhirweg wrote: »
    @ZeeGee Thanks for the tip on creating a text file. But could these tmp files might be what make me not miss an item even though i have some ebc files over 200mb? I'm on the latest Origin version btw(1.69). Launcher is a lot different compared to the 1.67 version from what i've seen. I know i'm trying to find an excuse for my laziness but still i think that's possible.

When launcher breaks the set into two files( that happened to me a lot of times) have you had the problem of items uninstalling by themselves before using this method? I have too many things installed i wouldn't notice a missing item or two probably so don't trust me on not having the problem. Just haven't realized it even if it happened.

@Fedhirweg Since you are on 1.69 there's really no way to know because when you launch the game the tmp files will be created. If you delete the tmp files and replace them with the empty files, you could have a look around and see if you notice anything missing but yeah, since there's so much that would be hard to tell. And yes, with my original first store install, before I knew about Ciane's method. I installed everything I own and there were several things missing. I noticed right away because at that time I didn't have a lot of store content. I found Ciane's method and never had that problem again.

@SimLibby I do the same, deny permissions to the Featured Items folder. And I too have all my documents, music, videos, etc., on my D drive. That SSD C drive is for sims only. :lol:
    So you have The Sims also installed on your SSD C drive, @ZeeGee. I have it on D. Most programs I install on D, with a few exceptions that go on C. All my games I install on D as well. Do you have any comparison with installing The Sims on SSD C and another drive, like D? If so, any (significant) difference between the two installations, like improvement in game loading times, game lags and so on?

@SimLibby Yes, I have The Sims 3 installed on my SSD C drive. I went from playing on a 2 TB HDD drive to a 500 gb SSD and noticed a HUGE improvement in performance. Not sure if it improved game loading times because mine has always been pretty quick. When I hear about people who have to wait 10 to 30 minutes for their games to load I'm shocked! After installing to my C drive I still have over 300 gb free on a 500 gb system, that's with all store content, SPs and EPs, and multiple game folders that I switch out. But I use a D drive for everything but Sim 3.
    500 GB, so you have some extra space to spare. ;) My SSD is just 117 GB although I'm not complaining. At least I have a SSD for my OS (my previous PC didn't have that). Around 60 GB on my SSD is taken for. I should reserve some space for programs that need to go on C and Windows updates. I just looked at my TS3 installation and that's already over 20 GB and that is without game folders, all my store downloads and some packs. So that leaves me with little extra space on my SSD. Luckily I don't have to wait 30 minutes for the game to load but I do have to wait up to 5 or 10 minutes. I'm curious how gameplay would be with TS3 on my SSD. Maybe I try once. I could always uninstall it if I need the space back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top