Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How To Install Store Items

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    The files were only meant to hold 20M, which is 204,800. Valgon67 brought this to my attention. (There are so many computer savvy experts that are capable of looking at the codes and sharing that info with everyone, and I appreciate all they do!) So, anything over that means some items won't show up. That's why many complained that they had the items and they were installed, but they didn't show in-game. There is no minimum. I just like each file as full as possible so that I'll have fewer files in the end. I assume that fewer files means faster loads and less strain on the game, but... that is just an assumption.

I hadn't seen that other post about items not showing up when using the catalog. I will try to find items by sets when I can, but I usually just go through deco. The items I use a lot I might know the exact price for, so it's easier to go where I need without too much hassle. So, bottoms line, I installed as compilations because it was less effort on my part (hit install once rather than however many times needed for each set) and the files are already somewhat compressed together, so the file size SHOULD be less. But I can't remember if I tested that or not.

My spreadsheet was meant to list EVERYTHING. So each compilation shows all the sets within it. If you just use a copy of the spreadsheet and bold or strike though or color each as you organize, you should readily be able to see what you might be missing.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    ciane wrote: »

My spreadsheet was meant to list EVERYTHING. So each compilation shows all the sets within it. If you just use a copy of the spreadsheet and bold or strike though or color each as you organize, you should readily be able to see what you might be missing.

That's what I did and it worked beautifully. I did it from a word document (copy/pasted from Ciane's original thread) cause I'm not that familiar with spreadsheets but it worked the same.

@ciane Curious about something. If ebc files should be kept to 204,800, wondering if dbc files should be the same? Wondering if you would run into the same problem if you don't keep the 204,800 or below?
    Mine doesn't get that big as I put all cc in package form, so I just have a small .dbc file. My guess would be that it does work the same way, but I don't know.

If you can't find a package form of cc, it's easy to install in a blank sims 3 folder and then rename the dcbackup files so you know what they are and move those to the mods package folder of your normal game. :smiley:
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    Thank you @ciane.
    Mine doesn't get that big as I put all cc in package form, so I just have a small .dbc file. My guess would be that it does work the same way, but I don't know.

If you can't find a package form of cc, it's easy to install in a blank sims 3 folder and then rename the dcbackup files so you know what they are and move those to the mods package folder of your normal game. :smiley:

I was just curious. I use packages too but use the extractor from MTS to turn sims3packs into packages. Though somewhere lately I saw that using the extractor ‘could’ be the reason some cc uploads with a sim file when it shouldn’t. If that’s true then using the dcbackup files would solve that problem.
    edited November 2020
    I'm already confused (again). I'm organizing my store items in folders: grouping them so it's easy when re-installing my game. This group with store material is going to be installed together, this group also and so on. I'm using @ciane's topic (this one and the one from the wayback machine) and files and @Me1620 store installation guide as my guide to decide which store items are going to be installed together and to craft my own excel file.

What I don't get is how the both of you have two worlds in one .ebc file. Roaring Heights, and that is the standard version, on my computer is already over 327 MB which exceed the recommended 200 MB. So how can you have it installed together with Barnacle Bay (Ciane) and Hidden Springs (Jodi)? How can you install a smaller and bigger world together anyway? As said in the original thread on the wayback machine. That thread says the file size has to stay under 200MB, which is 204,800 kb but it also says the compressed .ebc files has to stay below 270.000 KB which is more than 200 MB. That's confusing to me. How can I install Midnight Hollow with the patterns if MH is already over 330 MB? Eventually I'm going to install all worlds I own as standard version because I have purchased/being gifted them as standard version. The Premium Content that makes those worlds gold, I have bought/being gifted separately so I will install them as such (I don't know yet since I'm not there yet since I can't get pass how to install the first groups: patters and worlds).

Any assistance is much appreciated because I seem to miss something. Thank you. <3

PS. I'm going to install RH separately for a moment in a new TS3 folder: maybe the compressed .ebc size is below 270.000 and maybe that is the answer.

EDIT: Ok. so I did my PS. The .ebc file with just RH in it is 170.867 kb which is less than 200 MB (brilliant deduction, right ;) ). So the only logical conclusion can be: don't go by the .sims3pack file sizes mentioned in the folder or de launcher. Go by the size mentioned by the .ebc file and use this size to stay below 200 MB. Am I correct in my conclusion?

Ok, new plan. I'm first going to group all my items: world with worlds, venues with venues and so on. I also have lot of separate items, like CAS items, that are part of sets. So if I'm grouping all those sets, I can just toss those .sims3packs that are just one item. That should reduce the amount of .sims3packs I have a lot.
    Post edited by SimLibby on
    edited November 2020
    @SimLibby Included in that sims3pack are the big packages that go into the world and library files. Lots work the same way. The big package will go into the library file. So yeah, your experiment showed you correctly.

Items such as hair and clothing and furniture are usually closer to their S3P size.
    After installing RH I did also look in DCBackup. That world had 179 package files in it. Ciane talks about using them in case the Launcher doesn't work for some reason an you still want to install your stuff. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up @ZeeGee.
    @SimLibby Yes, everything installs in DCBackup! Hope we never have to use it but you never know.
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @ZeeGee. Every time I start organizing my store downloads, my head starts to spin. I got this tutorial open, Ciane's (old) tutorial in the wayback machine, Jodi's install guide, the store, my Launcher, several folders, my own spreadsheet to keep track of what I'm doing and I have all off Ciane's documents standby wit lots of information in it and lots of numbers. I stopped with that and going to try a different way. Probably that's going to take longer but at least my head is not spinning anymore. :smiley:

I copied all my store material to the download folder (in a clean TS3 folder) so I can see what each item is in the Launcher. I go by them one by one and put the item in the appropriate folder: Single items CAS, Single items Buy, Singe items build, Compilations, Sets, Free stuff, Rewards and so on. When I'm done, I'm going through those single items folders and remove ever single item that is part of a set or compilation and that I'm not going to install separately. Then I'm going to do the same with the sets and compilations. Although at this moment I don't know yet what I'm going to install: compilations (so less sets to install) or sets for more easy find in-game. The last option has my preference. I got a plan now so maybe now I will finish the reinstall store items according to Ciane's method. ;)
    Sorry, I was busy setting up @Rflong7's tiny town and didn't check in here 'til now. OOPs!

Yes, @SimLibby, I put all the INSTALL sizes in my spreadsheet. That's one reason why I shared my massive data base with everyone - so they wouldn't have to guess what would fit. BUT, I get it can be information overload.

I, like you, started with the worlds and the things that need to be installed before the sets, like patterns. I worked my way down from large to small. Sometimes just installing in a different order can make the file size larger (or smaller). So the compressions do vary a bit based on what has already been installed.

I put all like items into named folders before I started installing too. So, I have a backup of all the store install files before installation, as well as after.
    Thanks @ciane. Btw, no need to apologize. So I had to wait a couple of hours ... big whoopiedoop. :p (I still got quick responses).
    It's coming along nicely, almost done with organizing and catalogizing my store downloads before I'm going to install it. I do have some questions so hopefully someone can give me some clarity. Thanks in advance.

The chair that needs to be installed BEFORE the mid Century Dining set is listed next to the set.
    I got this verified in a couple of different posts by Ciane and Jodi because I also once read to first install the set, then uninstall the chair from that set, then install the chair as separate item. That's why I want to check to be absolutely sure: the chair needs to be installed BEFORE the mid Century Dining set?

@ciane Can you remind me again what individual items I have to do because they were in compilations/sets we didn't use for the clean install? I remember:
    and I thought you said somewhere:
    Cowplant Spring Rider
    Cowplant Arcade Machine
    I also found the post in your previous thread suggesting that the cowplant items don't install correctly.
    I cannot confirm this message, I can't find anything about it. Are there problems with installing the cowplant items correctly? If so, which?

Ciane wrote:
    The bow toe shoes that do NOT get installed with the Date Night set are listed next to the set.
    Ciane wrote:
    The "0" file contains all the unique patterns, Midnight Hollow Gold with toy shop venue, the mid-century dining chair that must be installed before the set, and the bow tie shoes that are shown in the Victorian set, but were left out.
    Which shoes? There are no bow toe shoes in Date night. And there are no bow toe shoes in the Victorian set. There are bow toe shoes in Fanciful Fashion & Hairstyles. And bow shoes in several kids related sets. It's unclear to me regarding which shoes those comments are made.

General note: I cut in some quotes so the quotes only mention the information regarding my questions. My main sources is this topic (the new one and the old one in the wayback machine).
    SimLibby wrote: »
    It's coming along nicely, almost done with organizing and catalogizing my store downloads before I'm going to install it. I do have some questions so hopefully someone can give me some clarity. Thanks in advance.

The chair that needs to be installed BEFORE the mid Century Dining set is listed next to the set.
    I got this verified in a couple of different posts by Ciane and Jodi because I also once read to first install the set, then uninstall the chair from that set, then install the chair as separate item. That's why I want to check to be absolutely sure: the chair needs to be installed BEFORE the mid Century Dining set?

@SimLibby I'll answer these one at a time in case Ciane pops in and gives you better info. Install that chair before you install the set. Then install the set. You don't need to uninstall anything. You will have the chair because of your first installation of it. I usually install the chair when I'm installing the patterns.
    @SimLibby I have never had or heard of any problems installing the cow plant items. If I remember correctly, I think I found two items that weren't in any of the sets so Ciane then listed them separately. I'll need to have a look at the store and it's down right now.

And the bow toe shoes are for adult female sims but again, can't check the store right now. Just install them separately so you'll have them.

Seems like you are very organized!
    Thanks @ZeeGee
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, I think I found two items that weren't in any of the sets so Ciane then listed them separately. I'll need to have a look at the store and it's down right now.
    It's the bandana from one of the featured looks (didn't install those looks, except two lots - same as Jodi) but before deciding not to install those looks, I checked every single item to make sure they where in sets I'm going to install. All was accounted for except that bandana. I can't recall of another item except maybe those shoes.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    And the bow toe shoes are for adult female sims but again, can't check the store right now. Just install them separately so you'll have them.
    So that would be the bow toe shoes in Fanciful Fashion & Hairstyle.
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member

@SimLibby - It will be easier installing the chair first. The forum has information that changes over times (and not just for this chair.) I have installed both ways because, as you wrote, there were posts advising installing the chair before or after. If you install the set first, you then have to find the chair installed in the set and delete it. Much easier to install the chair alone then install the set.

A possible explanation for the differing advice goes back to when the set was released. We would have all installed the set. Then, people noticed sims couldn't use the chair. EA fixed the individual chair file but not the set file. So, instructions were to find the chair from the set in the launcher, delete it and then install the individual chair. I don't know who to credit, but someone would have later posted it would be easier to install the chair then the set.
    I got a plan now so maybe now I will finish the reinstall store items according to Ciane's method. ;)

I think this is a great idea. I based my installation very closely to Ciane's method customized a wee bit to suit my purposes. Also, my spreadsheet was modified without considering that I might share it. So, I may not have noted everything as carefully and methodically as Ciane has done.
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
    edited November 2020
    Oops, forgot to tag @SimLibby -

It looks like I'm really late to the party again and you've had lots of great help already. (I've been having severe vertigo lately, so I'm staying away from my computer a lot and just getting on a few minutes a day.)

Anyway, the image on the first page of this thread that shows the first tab of my spreadsheet has some items in red, so that you hopefully see the correlation. (I guess it's not so obvious.) So, the shoes come from the fanciful fashion set and the chair from the midCentury dining set (that you've already figured out.)

Some of the sets are repeats in various compilations, so I have the Multitab listed separate and the Oh my Goth compilation. Those who have the Technophob no more and NOT the Oh my Goth would then obviously install the set that has the multitab in it, but just installing the Oh my Goth would not install the multitab.

The cow plant items should install in the Killer Classics set, which includes the sims classic - welcome back to 3 lakes set.

I'll stick around for a bit, if I've missed some of your questions.
    @ciane Sorry you're not feeling well. Hope the vertigo goes away soon. That's so miserable. (((Hugs)))
    Thanks. I'm taking pills that help and the room isn't visually moving any more. So, that's good!
    Thanks @Me1620. I did the same and used your guide as a guide so I didn't just take everything over. I checked for myself (because there are differences in what I own and what you own so I responded/acted accordingly) and suited it for my own purpose. Also I made it a bit in Dutch, but give all Dutch items their English name (for easy reference in English tutorials I might use). I used your guide mainly as reference to not forget stuff and to keep oversight. So your guide worked perfectly for me. My guide is ready more or less: still have to put everything in alphabetical order and mention what you have in column E.

I'm sorry to hear about your vertigo @ciane. That must be very challenging for you. I hope you find a way to either deal with it (accept it/learn to live with it) or heal from it and that the pills you take for it, as you mention in your last message, are temporary. Take care. <3

I just re-installed my game, updated to version 1.67, make the game recognize my graphic cards, altered the permissions for the folder Featured items zo EA won't write to it, and installed ZeeGee's ContentPatch (hope I didn't forget anything), so I'm about to install my store downloads. Oh, and I also created a clean ccmerged file as backup.

I haven't slept all week :p:# but my store downloads are organized (I exaggerate but I did have a couple all-nighters with CNN on the background so I know what's going on with the election): I brought it back from around 1000 files and over 11 GB to install to about 350 files and 7 GB (festival lots and the old mill lots/Exchange included).

I got indeed the 'Killer Classic Set' selected to install and not the cowplant as P.C. The multi tab is one of the few premium material items I will install separately because I won't be installing 'Technophobe No More' (and 'Oh my Goth') but instead I will install 'Gothic Glamour- Living Room and Home Office Collection'. I only have to put the shoes in separately as you and @ZeeGee mention, hadn't done that yet.

I used Jodi's guide extensively, now I will use your guides to decide in which order to install (and which items make up one .ebc file).

Thanks for sticking around Ciane. I appreciate it.

PS.
    Oops, forgot to tag @SimLibby
    I won't get a notification when you tag me on hindsight in an edited message so I think nobody gets a notification in such situations. Not a big deal: I know I asked questions so I keep track on them and responses I might get. But I thought you would find that information (about not receiving notifications) handy to know.
    edited November 2020
    So, this is very discouraging.

I'm installing. First Patterns. Next Midnight Hollow Standard. Next wallpapers. Next the Retro chair. Next the bow toe shoes. I take my time, I'm not greedy by installing lots of stuff at the same time. After every install I copy dcdb0.ebc to my desktop, I copy the .packages in DCBackup and belonging to the last install (by looking at the date) to a separate folder, I copy the complete DCBackup, I make a note in my own guide (gives those items a 0 in the .ebc column), delete the .Sims3Pack from the download folder and strike them through in your document @ciane. So far so good.

But, after the last install (those stupid shoes) my .ebc file all of a sudden drops from 176.945 kb to 310 kb. What the fudge!!!

I have everything back upped so I just could take it from my last dcdb0.ebc before I installed the shoes (and remove the package that goes with it). Only, the thing is, my highly over-organized mind can't handle this situation very well. It feels messy, I don't do well with messy, so I'm inclined to start over. Which now, is still doable, I just started, but what if this happens again (I can't keep starting over).

Any idea what's going on with that .ebc file?
    edited November 2020
    @SimLibby Sorry but maybe this is a language misunderstanding or number misunderstanding. (I'm good at that) Did you mean you installed the shoes and it increased from 176 to 310 kb? Or did it actually drop to a lower number?
    edited November 2020
    @SimLibby I'm going to assume that it was a language thing and your file actually increased to 310 kb. So this response is based on that.

I think what may have happened is you have have had something(s) checked to install that you didn't intend to install. Because the shoes couldn't have increased the file size by that much. It is a good thing that you had a backup so you could revert.

I have some advice for you because I am the exact same as you. If it's not perfect, I want to ditch it all and start over. And I did do that a few times at the beginning. However, after MANY store installs on various computers, I learned to just keep going because you probably WILL make a mistake towards the end and then aren't going to want to go all the way back and redo. But here is what can help:

1) Make sure you're well rested when you start. When I tried it tired I would make silly mistakes. (And to add to this take an occasional break, get up and walk around every 20 minutes or so, then come back fresh)
    2) Don't get distracted. Don't start reading a book or watching TV because you're getting bored with waiting for the files to install. Cause if you're distracted you'll mess up every time.
    3) Check everything twice! Before you hit that 'install' button, check that only the thing that you want to install is checked and that it's the right thing.
    4) Do the numbers yourself. I use a calculator! Because my installs differ from Ciane's I use her guide, (patterns first, worlds next, etc) but I don't put the exact things in the files. Look at how many kb an item is and do the math yourself. If there is even a slight chance that it might go over the 204,800, don't do it!

Those are the things that help me keep my OCD wanting things perfect under control. I realize that some aren't that bothered about perfection but it sounds like you are like me. :smiley:
    edited November 2020
    That is really really strange. It seems like you added everything again instead of just the shoes.

The file sizes will always differ a bit from one system to another, but they will be relatively the same.

I didn't back up my .ebc file after every install of every item, but when it was getting large in size and there was a change the install would go over... THEN, I backed up.

As @ZeeGee mentioned, I am pretty sure it installed the previous items along with the shoes.

AND, the items don't have to be in the order I did it, or in the groups I did. It's just an example to help.

Thanks for your concern about my health too, both of you. I am only taking the bare minimum of pills. Two yesterday and the day before and only one today. I don't take any medication unless I feel I really need it. The pills help me get up and down to let dogs in and out without the room spinning. So, for now, I take them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top