Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think "Lifestyles" is the only traits overhaul?

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
Ok, I've seen that lifestyles are more in-depht than traits, but weren't Sims 3 traits exactly like that? I really wish they would've done this to all traits and added all of them to the "organic shifting of lifestyles". I'm afraid they'll never add proper traits really detailed like that. What y'all think. Is it their one and only answer to our criticism towards the trait system in Sims 4?

Do you think "Lifestyles" is the only traits overhaul? 37 votes

Yes, because...
48%
alexspoom13Colorist40smurf45bluephantasmkissbixtersSigzy05ChadSims2Internal_ChaosEnkiSchmidtBreazonamusteniSimtown15TamakiSakura84silentcyborgHayleeSimslogionForgerondearie_blossom 18 votes
No, because...
29%
rhaliusTheSpotted_Cstilljustme2APottsDDDUUVentusMattFlapNikkihHyalophoraafternoonbaboonLeaselmary 11 votes
Other:
21%
taydevHarukotyancatmando830MDianaSimsColton147147SERVERFRACalico45Kerrigan 8 votes

Comments

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Other:
    Meh! Not concerned.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Yes, because...
    The Sims 4 is almost at the end of its lifespan, so they would probably wait for Sims 5.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is almost at the end of its lifespan, so they would probably wait for Sims 5.

Is it though? I haven't seen any information of any kind that leads me to believe it's at the end of it's lifespan. They're still making packs for it.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Simtown15 wrote: »

Is it though? I haven't seen any information of any kind that leads me to believe it's at the end of it's lifespan. They're still making packs for it.

Yeah, I agree. I think there's more evidence that Sims 4 isn't near its lifespan's end than anything. I bet we'll be in 2024 and the game will end making 10yrs.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited November 2020
    idk what to think about lifestyles yet tbh but I feel like it will clash with my super evil sims and such and i will maybe end up turning it off

cause I imagine they will get positivity lifestyles and stupid stuff like that for just pretending to be good ppl in public while carrying out their evil schemes

especially cause there isn't really any negative lifestyles to gain

and i also feel like there is few that i will end up having for every single sim cause thats just me as player like indoorsy or loner sims cause im too lazy to take them outside to socialize or whatever but i dont feel like all my sims really should have same lifestyle you know

idk maybe its good maybe not
    but all i really hoped for is better traits and more trait spots that i as player could control
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    edited November 2020
    No, because...
    TS4 has not been and will not be the superior installment when it comes to gameplay depth. We are so far in that a trait overhaul that isn't tied behind a paywall, I think, is out of the picture. And even so, what could they possibly do? TS4 is moodlet driven. I just don't know what could be included in an overhaul. More autonomous actions that will be cancelled out, bugged, or unused by most players?

Edit: I meant to hit yes. Read the poll wrong. Sorry.
    Post edited by afternoonbaboon on
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @afternoonbaboon honey, if modders can do it, EA can.
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    edited November 2020
    No, because...
    Karon wrote: »
    @afternoonbaboon honey, if modders can do it, EA can.

I have no doubt they can't. I just don't think they will. We've seen in the past that we get CAS items, BB items, and something interesting to keep some of us engaged. Will this pattern change?
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Other:
    Maybe? I mean, if they become the most lauded thing, they may not bother with anything else. They also may decide nothing else is worth their time this late in the life cycle.

I certainly want to see the lifestyles expanded. I am not 100% how they are going to do it without DLC for DLC or making it base game. Though I suppose they can introduce the functionality every time they add more, buy if that was the plan why not have had some BG and some SE from the beginning?
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    No, because...
    No, this isn't going to do anything. All sims act the same regardless of traits so they will all just get the shallow media obsessed hipster lifestyle I suppose.

Not difficult for anything to have more impact than traits considering my evil sim is yet to do anything evil on his own other than trolling forums.. which all other sims do too.
    Heck my evil sim got the reputation of being nice before any of the other seven adults in the household did. The most interaction he did was when he was wooing the pretty blonde when she walked past in underwear since I figured he'd totally be the guy who'd sleep with someone and not call back.

Sadly with the sims it's always treated like they are in love. They aren't, they just had sex.
    And still I had to make the sims do that because they don't do anything on their own, just simple conversation.

Seriously, this guy never did anything in character. His other traits are gloomy and lazy.
    He's constantly cleaning up stuff on his own yet gets a moodlet that he dislikes chores.. He has also only been sad once and I played this house for like 30 in game days. Any other time it just got buried under other moodlets.

I guess only the athletic sim showed some personality in constant doing push ups but he does it so often it's annoying. Took him to star wars land since he's a geek and he's doing push ups there. Being a geek did nothing over there either, I figured he'd geek out over so many things. I mean, to him meeting Kylo Ren or Rey should be far more exciting than meeting some celebrity sim.

My childish goofball did a mischief interaction once on her own in those 30 days. She and none of my sims ever had much whims related to their personality. Pretty much everything is just about objects in the house or the emotional state. In Sims 2 and 3 it was not. I mean, if they don't do a darn thing on their own at least give me whims to fulfill that match their personality.

As it is they should have just given us the five sliders of sims 1 instead of traits, those five sliders allowed for more personality.

And I don't get why traits not only did nothing at launch, they still don't do anything like 7 years and lots of expansions later. It follows the whole philosophy of abandoning every feature that's added even before it's out yet pretty much.

Creating sims and houses is fun, but actually playing sims 4 is more boring than any of the previous games because all sims still act the same after all this content added through expansions.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes, because...
    It's not even a traits overhaul....traits are still the same. However I do think it's Maxis's only answer to them being so poorly done.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yes, because...
    This is pretty much what was stated in SimGuruFrost's survey, if we look at his future surveys, another trait overhaul is not in the works. He is instead hinting of them going back and reworking some old packs, or make a pack based on a mall or whatever all those questions were.

I don't think we could see a trait overhaul unless they have something planned after all that.

Another reason why I think a trait overhaul is unlikely has to do with the coding of the sims4 and how generally in game development you build things in layers. Traits are most likely coded back in 2013 or even older than that and they are laying the foundation for how sims work. You don't go back into the code base and change something like that unless you really want to deal with other potential things breaking.

So if they will do something more with traits, I think they will add upon the existing traits, I find them changing how they work very unlikely.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Yes, because...
    ...they just don't care about overhauling traits.
    No, because...
    I am sure they could do more with traits, at the very least they could work with the miniscule changes traits actually give, enlarge those things or something.

Maybe the main thing needed is an anatomy overhaul, the things sims will do on their own. They aren't doing anything aside basic stuff. Small talk. If they could actually flirt, fight, play jokes and such that would mean a lot.
    Heck I would also be happy if my vegetarian sim actually watched what he'd eat. I never make vegetarians anymore because sims are too stupid to recognize a meal has meat in it, they'll just grab a plate from a group serving.

And if sims do more on their own, traits could maybe be made to affect that more. As it is they all want to spam the same few interactions. I had to throw out the coffee pot because they all kept using it all the time, making them always energized.
    Sims seem obsessed with a handfull of objects, all sims regardless of traits. And the same objects.

Then again they still have yet to fix the time used for interactions. Flying a rocket into space appearantly is done faster than preparing and eating a salad. Or taking a shower.
    Seriously. In sims 1,2 and 3 if you wake your sim up an hour before work they can eat and shower, maybe use the toilet too. In sims 4 they can only eat half a sandwich in that time or take a partial shower.

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No, because...
    I think that Sentiments are likely going to be a bigger game changer than Lifestyles, TBH. If they work right then no more laughing it up with the Sim that just called your mama a llama. Sure, it might not be the predominant reaction when that person shows up, but get the two of you alone in a dark corner and who knows what could happen? B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    No, because...
    Probably nothing since sims never take any initiative on their own. You'd just have the memory of it tucked away in a new sentiments tab.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Other:
    Maybe, anything is possible. ;)
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    No, because...
    Lifestyles isn't a traits overhaul - it's about the way the sims are living their lives, not about their personalities. What they are or are not doing will determine the Lifestyle they have, or at least that's the vibe I got from the livestream. Sentiments aren't about personalities either - it's more about their experiences with each other.

Lifestyles and sentiments are their attempt to give the game the depth that people online have been asking for without having to basically go back to the drawing board with a massive base game update that would probably break everything. From what I can tell, it won't satisfy most but I'm pretty neutral on it.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    Other:
    Lifestyles is providing a sandbox to go along with existing traits. What is the difference between an mean, loner with the sedentary lifestyle and the mean, loner with a caffeinated lifestyle. I predict these will be two vastly different characters - possibly the same sim at different life stages

Lifestyles are augmentations, not traits.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited November 2020
    No, because...
    I agree with @TheSpotted_C that this is in no way is a fix to traits but is their way of giving players more meaningful gameplay without doing a massive overhaul.

Personally I think they plan tp expand/overhaul traits just like how they are with skintones but these take times and they can only work on so much at once.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    I sure hope not, lol.

One of the game changers mentioned the lifestyles is a response to the criticism of sims needing more personality. It's a little scary that their response is to add another system on top of the broken one instead of just fixing it, and one locked to a pack no less.

I'd like to think that since they know it's a problem, they'll work a little more towards fixing it for the base game. Maybe lifestyles is a trial run of what they plan to do with the traits or something lol. The addition of sentiments to the base game has me hopeful that they'll finally start putting some work into live mode since they've neglected it for years.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Other:
    This can't be stated for sure before even trying the feature I guess. So "other".

For now I feel they are not exactly the same 'cause lifestyles are not permanent. They can be earned and cleaned and you can play a fantasy of going from junk food addict to a health nut for example which is impossible with traits.
    But lifestyles feel raw and somewhat unfinished/poorly designed to me. I think that's why a lot of people have a feeling of "why they are even exist". And it's a wasted opportunity imo because knowing EA practices we can be sure that this feature wan't be returned to after this expansion.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am not sure how I want to answer because I am not sure how lifestyles will work.

I look at Lifestyles as something that can change. You could be really a homebody and meet someone who loves the slopes and you start to love skiing too so your lifestyle changes. The traits are like who you are as a person and less about what you like to do. Although your traits can influence your lifestyle like outdoor people might love doing outdoorsy stuff. Let’s say the sim starts a family. They might still love the outdoors but maybe not into skiing anymore but now like hiking.

I am hoping it works something like that but that it takes a while to change.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2020
    No, because...
    There is definitely alot more time in the sims 4 life span, Anything can happen to this game, I think people are having their hope's too high, if they think its going too end next year, ask yourself if you were the boss of an company and something is still selling great and your still getting millions for it,would you pull the plug on it ? And create something new or would you keep it going your still making the big bucks on it and it's not broken, I'm afraid money talks people, and the sims 4 despite criticism is still selling strongly
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yes, because...
    I've been hoping for a personality overhaul to TS4, but this and the option to untick lifestyles makes me think they probably wont do any major changes to basegame after all this time. There could be people who enjoy the current system and I suppose it wouldn't be fair for them to change how it works. I hope we will get something more in the future, even if limited to expansions and equipped with an untick option. I just don't think any big overhaul is coming, rather just attempts to patch the current system. I hope lifestyles prove worth it!