Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

64-bit Sims 3 for macOS Questions/Troubleshooting

Comments

• jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I can’t wait to play sims 3 again on my Mac. The best sims game ever made.

I read from those who can now play it already the game is running faster ! Hope it can make use of all my 32G memory !!
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    edited October 2020
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Hope it can make use of all my 32G memory !!

If it does use all of your 32 GB RAM you'd get the Error 12 anyway. :lol:

But yeah! I'm waiting to hear from the Mac simmers about the RAM usage. There are a few huge worlds, crammed with lots, and they might play just fine now. :open_mouth:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Cororon I've noticed the 64-bit version seems to use less memory than the old 32-bit version did, maybe even 30-40% less. I haven't done a formal comparison, but a new save (all packs installed) in SV playing with the Frios uses about 1.3 GB, whereas I remember starting a save with one sim and Ambitions as my only pack almost three years ago, and RAM use was more like 1.5 GB. I downloaded Alpine County and loaded the Best household, and RAM use was 2.4 GB. I didn't get a chance to run it forward though. All of this is with ultra settings.

As for how well it runs..... um, there are some issues that have nothing to do with memory.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    @Cororon I've noticed the 64-bit version seems to use less memory than the old 32-bit version did, maybe even 30-40% less. I haven't done a formal comparison, but a new save (all packs installed) in SV playing with the Frios uses about 1.3 GB, whereas I remember starting a save with one sim and Ambitions as my only pack almost three years ago, and RAM use was more like 1.5 GB. I downloaded Alpine County and loaded the Best household, and RAM use was 2.4 GB. I didn't get a chance to run it forward though. All of this is with ultra settings.

As for how well it runs..... um, there are some issues that have nothing to do with memory.

That sounds promising. Maybe they have plugged some memory leaks. And nice that you could break the 2GB barrier with Alpine County! :smiley: Now it will be interesting to see if simmers can break the 4 GB one. I play on a Windows PC and when I reach 3,5 GB and cleaning the save and deleting objects doesn't do much, then it's time to move to a new world. :neutral:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • kutayukutayu Posts: 4 New Member
    I am on Windows and my Alpine County save (I added my big family as 6 separate families in different lots over the populated version) uses just around 2.7 GB RAM with Story Progression, tons of mods, HQ mod and everything installed so it shocked me to hear that you get 2.4 GB. > @puzzlezaddict said:
    > @Cororon I've noticed the 64-bit version seems to use less memory than the old 32-bit version did, maybe even 30-40% less. I haven't done a formal comparison, but a new save (all packs installed) in SV playing with the Frios uses about 1.3 GB, whereas I remember starting a save with one sim and Ambitions as my only pack almost three years ago, and RAM use was more like 1.5 GB. I downloaded Alpine County and loaded the Best household, and RAM use was 2.4 GB. I didn't get a chance to run it forward though. All of this is with ultra settings.
    >
    > As for how well it runs..... um, there are some issues that have nothing to do with memory.

I am on Windows and my Alpine County save (I added my big family as 6 separate families in different lots over the populated version) uses just around 2.7 GB RAM with Story Progression, tons of mods, HQ mod and everything installed so it shocked me to hear that you get 2.4 GB!
  • PantasticalCatPantasticalCat Posts: 38 Member
    I am not sure if this problem is due to a bug with my base game or mods/ep's but here we go
    For some reason, my sim is unable to catch bugs or nanites. All other collectables work perfectly fine, but when she tries to collect bugs or nanites the mouse cursor is grayed out like there is no interaction available. My EPs are Into the Future, Pets, Generations, Ambitions, Supernatural, and University Life. The mods I have are nraas (mastercontroller, errortrap, and overwatch) and hospital overhaul, so 4 total. if anyone has a fix for this, that would be fantastic
    ~Call me Cat, compulsive storyteller!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @PantasticalCat - I was able to re-create this issue in Sunset Valley. It appears that you (or someone else, this could be a coincidence) has reported it on Answers.HQ which is the best place to do so because it's where problems like this with the new Mac version are being logged and delivered to the developers. I gave that post a "Me Too."

I'm sure this isn't related to insect collection, but it should be noted that the Hospital Overhaul mod is outdated and known to break games on current patch levels. We always recommend that players remove it when they come to us at NRaas for support of any kind.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • PantasticalCatPantasticalCat Posts: 38 Member
    > @igazor said:
    > @PantasticalCat - I was able to re-create this issue in Sunset Valley. It appears that you (or someone else, this could be a coincidence) has reported it on Answers.HQ which is the best place to do so because it's where problems like this with the new Mac version are being logged and delivered to the developers. I gave that post a "Me Too."
    >
    > I'm sure this isn't related to insect collection, but it should be noted that the Hospital Overhaul mod is outdated and known to break games on current patch levels. We always recommend that players remove it when they come to us at NRaas for support of any kind.

Thank you, I'll remove the mod then (too bad, cuz it had some cool features). I tried again without any mods and it still wasn't working, is there no fix yet for this? Because that is unfortunate
    ~Call me Cat, compulsive storyteller!
    @PantasticalCat I saw someone else report this too, so I tested it myself a few hours ago and posted a thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Cannot-collect-insects/m-p/9674970#M12963

Please click Me Too and post in that thread, so it gets seen.
    edited November 2020
    There are two more issues to add to the list.

Terrain paint can't be applied: Only the last square retains the applied paint, and that paint disappears when another square is painted. Please use this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Terrain-paints-not-applying/m-p/9667984#M12459

Insects and nanites can't be collected: There are no available interactions; other collectibles work fine. Please use this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Cannot-collect-insects/m-p/9674970#M12963
    Anyone still not getting metal version on origin app ? How much longer should I wait ? :(
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2020
    @jimbbq - At this point if it's still not showing up at all (does the original TS3 version show?), it might be about time to reach out to Customer Support and ask them to add it in for you. You will also require the necessary what they are calling "entitlements" for the EP/SPs that you own the rights to so that they show up as ready to be installed as well.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Still not even base game let alone EP. Will try to contact them again. Hopefully better luck this time.
    Finally got the game and the 6 EPs I have. Oh I missed this game. It does run fine but not very stable... lot of rainbow wheels while loading the launcher and the game. Once it is loaded the game seems to play well so far! The loading screen is still quite long despite having 32G memory. But I am glad I can now play this game :) hopefully they will update it to make it run better.
    edited November 2020
    A couple updates:

Everyone who owns Sims 3 content should also be able to access the 64-bit version of that content. If you are missing the 64-bit version of the base game or one or more packs, please contact EA customer support for help.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Explain to the support rep that you need the "entitlements," as they're called, specifically for the 64-bit version of whatever you're missing. If the support rep can't or won't do what you ask, or doesn't understand the issue, feel free to ask for a supervisor.

— — — — — —

Error downloading content {0} or Critical system failure [while installing store or custom content, respectively]

This is caused by a missing .plist file within the hidden Library files on your system. Without this file present, the base game icon along the bottom of the launcher will be grayed out. Store and Exchange content will not install, and already installed store items won't load.

To recreate the missing file, please do the following:
    • Open a Finder window, click Go at the top of your screen, hold down the optn (alt) key, and select Library.
    • Open Application Support > Origin, and create a folder called Installer Data (exactly that, no variation).
    • Open your Origin game library, right-click (or hold crtl and click) on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.
    This currently only recreates the base game plist file, which is sufficient for Store and Exchange content to work. Hopefully this issue will be addressed in a future Origin update.

Please keep in mind that running the Origin reset tool will remove this .plist file along with the Origin folder it's in, reintroducing the same issue. So you'll need to open Origin once and then redo the above steps to fix it again.
  • jazzimoli1jazzimoli1 Posts: 3 New Member
    Sims 3 "Not Responding" after I shutdown/restart the computer - this is the second time. Happened once, so I tried the usual; remove the mods, any cc, and store content, cleared cache, deleted version.tag even uninstalled all but the base game. Nothing worked. Uninstalled/reinstalled in one game at a time, checking along the way. Everything was working until I shut my computer off when I was done - now its not responding again.
    edited November 2020
    @jazzimoli1 If you move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then play a new save in a new folder for a bit, does the game still work after you restart your computer? Don't add anything to the new folder; just create one save and see what happens.
  • Simmerboy572Simmerboy572 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey everyone I have a serious problem happening with my game. The launcher, installation, and everything work just fine and I only have seasons and nightlife installed, along with two stuff packs. I was able to create a household and customize their apartment however when I entered live mode, the sims were not being rendered properly and then the whole game seemed to crash as it would begin flickering and turning white. I've uninstalled the game twice and cannot seem to find a solution. If anyone could help me sort this out, I would be more than grateful!
    @Simmerboy572 Did you post on AHQ as well? I answered a very similar thread over there already today.

If that wasn't you, please list the full specs of your Mac, including operating system, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/32-bit-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4756624#M2878
  • Saskia4Saskia4 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I've downloaded Sims 3 64-bit on my mac but there is no choose a household option? It only comes up with "create a household' and "Move in household." Is this normal?

Thanks
    @Saskia4 That's normal for the first time you load the game: you're in the tutorial, which doesn't give you the option to choose a household. This also happens when you have a new options.ini file, which you would if you had a new Sims 3 user folder or were installing the game for the first time on a new computer.

If you don't want to play through the tutorial, click the three dots in the lower left corner of the screen, select Edit Town, and you'll be asked whether you want to exit the tutorial or not. Once you say yes, you can click "return to game setup" at the top of the screen and get the normal options.
  • louisdavidlouisdavid Posts: 7 New Member
    I recently changed my password for the sims 3 and now I can't log in to the launcher or in-game. I can log in everywhere else with no problem - thesims3.com, ea.com even the origin launcher but not the sims 3 launcher or in-game. When I try through the sims3 launcher the bubble with your profile and "online" features just goes blank. If I try to log in "in-game" it says incorrect username/email or password.. I'm playing on a late 2013 mac pro, I have reset origin using the reset origin tool, I have cleared all site data having to do with ea and the sims3 from my browsers, I contacted ea support and they were absolutely no help (figures) PLEASE HELP!!! was actually just getting back into showtime and simport and now this... :'(
  • calico_simscalico_sims Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but has anyone else had issues with the game not running/not responding if you have cc content? I have macOs, Catalina (now updated to Big Sur) and the game downloads and plays absolutely fine with no cc, but the second I add cc, the game will not launch at all and won't respond leaving me a blank screen. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, repairing the game multiple times, redoing all the cc, basically anything you can think of at this point!

Is there any way I can use cc on Sim 3 64bit Catalina, because without it I don't think I can be bothered to play it tbh!
    @calico_sims This thread is definitely still active, if not all that busy. To answer your question, I've heard a few people say similar, but there's no one obvious problem or solution. Custom content definitely works in general though.

Do you use .package-based custom content or install through the launcher? Do you have iCloud set to automatically sync the contents of Documents? Does this happen if you install just one cc item? Please try a few single items (separately), just to make sure this isn't a problem with the cc you're installing.

Please also make sure to repair the game again if you ever run the Origin reset tool.
  • CaradonCaradon Posts: 2 New Member
    I tried to play Sims 3 through Origin before the 64 bit update, it wouldn't work so I waited for the update. I no hav the update and I got EA Play, and added Sims 3 to my game library, but when I try to play it doesn't give me the option to. I click on the 64 bit and metal game which is greyed out, it doesn't give me the option to download or play anything.