Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE ONE & ONLY 'SNOWY ESCAPE' COMPLAINING THREAD!

Comments

• Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    I like the winter activities and a few other things, but of course that are all tied to one place, as usual - even the aspirations and traits are - so many traits and aspirations are so location specific - really make you wonder why it is called an expansion pack. I am not fond of the lifestyles as they seem like things we already have for the most part - was hoping for something different like Brave and Cowardly.

Ah, Cowardly, I loved that trait in Sims 3. I had created a Gold Digger sim who was Cowardly, Gunther Goth's wife Cornelia had died, and Gunther showed up in a bar and started chatting my Sim up, so I decided Gunther would be perfect for getting the Gold Digger lifetime wish. Things were going fine until I took my Sim to visit Gunther at home and made the mistake of staying into the evening. Cornelia's ghost showed up and scared my poor cowardly sim to death. Needless to say that relationship did not work out. :D

Stuff like that is the reason Sims 4 cannot compare. It is so rare that anything happens in Sims 4 that stands out. In Sims 2 & 3 you got those "Wow, can't believe that actually happened" moments that were unforgettable and just made the game come alive. I miss that type of play so much.

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I don’t like that sims have to take a shower before getting in the hot springs.

I'm also disappointed that ice fishing and ice skating on frozen ponds didn't make it but these are just petty and I still think this pack is the best we ve got.

I don't like that feature either, but I think I saw in a stream that sims with proper trait will do that so I hope there is a possibility that it's optional. I would like to put that hot spring in a wilderness setting, without the showers.

I don't think taking a shower is obligatory if you're placing a hot spring at home or in a wilderness. I suppose it's an Onsen venue requirement. Which makes sense.
    Kinda wish we had the same requirement on a Pool type of lot.

Edit: oh no, I must be wrong. Gurus placed a hot spring room on a residential lot, didn't they? And showering was still a thing.

Yes, they did, but it wasn't clear to me if we place the hot springs on a lot, but with no showers, if sims could still use and enjoy the hot spring.

I am pretty sure the shower requirement is Onsen specific in order to keep the hot spring from becoming dirty too quickly, and that if you place a hot spring on a residential lot you can jump in whenever and however you like. Also it’s not that you can’t use the hot spring at the onsen without a shower, it’s just that the spring will start to become dirty more quickly and I think other sims may register an objection to your bad manners.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    My complaints and worries for the pack are...

One of the neighborhoods appears to be completely dead. I'm not sure the name of it but it was completely devoid of sims other than the ones that the Guru was playing with in the live stream. I find that very upsetting and worrying. I'm not the only one that noticed this either as Plumbella also mentioned it in her review video.

Sims from other worlds are present in their usual attire once again ruining the immersion of the packs general theme.

The gondola lifts are just a rubbish teleport. Very disappointing. I can deal with the train not doing anything useful but not the gondola lifts.

The sentiments. I like them but at the same time they don't seem to have much impact on sim behavior from what I saw in the live stream.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

I'm also disappointed that ice fishing and ice skating on frozen ponds didn't make it but these are just petty and I still think this pack is the best we ve got.

I don't like that feature either, but I think I saw in a stream that sims with proper trait will do that so I hope there is a possibility that it's optional. I would like to put that hot spring in a wilderness setting, without the showers.

I don't think taking a shower is obligatory if you're placing a hot spring at home or in a wilderness. I suppose it's an Onsen venue requirement. Which makes sense.
    Kinda wish we had the same requirement on a Pool type of lot.

Edit: oh no, I must be wrong. Gurus placed a hot spring room on a residential lot, didn't they? And showering was still a thing.

Yes, they did, but it wasn't clear to me if we place the hot springs on a lot, but with no showers, if sims could still use and enjoy the hot spring.

Sims who don't have Proper trait will be able to use the hot spring, however, they will get an embarassed moodlet (maybe if other sims see them, maybe anyway) and I think I heard something about the hot spring becoming dirty.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bummer on the new world screen shot showing all the fake buildings. :/ So, what is actually playable? the mountain? Bummer on the Sims have to take a shower before getting into the hot springs. What is that about? lol Is that some sort of message that yes we all need to be clean before we get into a hottub and or hot springs and spread bacteria? Doesn't anyone find it so? because Maxis has no trouble short handing things like just slot popping meds into a Sim inventory without the Sim ever leaving the couch.... but literally made the game make a Sim take a shower before getting in hot springs....seems like some sort of moral lesson yet again. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »

One of the neighborhoods appears to be completely dead. I'm not sure the name of it but it was completely devoid of sims other than the ones that the Guru was playing with in the live stream. I find that very upsetting and worrying. I'm not the only one that noticed this either as Plumbella also mentioned it in her review video.

Sims from other worlds are present in their usual attire once again ruining the immersion of the packs general theme.

The gondola lifts are just a rubbish teleport. Very disappointing. I can deal with the train not doing anything useful but not the gondola lifts.

The sentiments. I like them but at the same time they don't seem to have much impact on sim behavior from what I saw in the live stream.

You know this is the sort of stuff I expect from myself and other players when we add in immersive, custom decorations to make us think we are in a particular place with particular objects such as a train near by and or a gondola lift (or elevator) lol, but I expect so much more from the actual creators of this series. Like they actually work. :'(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Bummer on the new world screen shot showing all the fake buildings. :/ So, what is actually playable? the mountain? Bummer on the Sims have to take a shower before getting into the hot springs. What is that about? lol Is that some sort of message that yes we all need to be clean before we get into a hottub and or hot springs and spread bacteria? Doesn't anyone find it so? because Maxis has no trouble short handing things like just slot popping meds into a Sim inventory without the Sim ever leaving the couch.... but literally made the game make a Sim take a shower before getting in hot springs....seems like some sort of moral lesson yet again. :(

In Japan, you always shower/wash before taking a bath or getting in a hot spring, so I think that's why they added it. It wouldn't be a Japanese-inspired world without that step.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I would have loved to have a lot placed near the train tracks and train station and hear the train go by at certain times of the day.
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    If I'm being honest, Japan has an issue of overworking and maybe a career dedicated to working longer hours might be...in poor taste(I don't know how else to put it). Why was that the only career they put in the pack?
  • Options
    If I'm being honest, Japan has an issue of overworking and maybe a career dedicated to working longer hours might be...in poor taste(I don't know how else to put it). Why was that the only career they put in the pack?

The other career would be housewife and we already have it. :smiley:
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited October 2020
    There's only two things I really wanted them to improve:
    • Stop with the sexism. It's harmful, even the smallest little sexist action can be a snowball that will turn into a huge avalanche. Stop adding more female content than male content. Like 3 male hairs over 98482962 female hairs is ANNOYING and OFFENSIVE, to me. Seriously. Seek balance. At this point, if I were a dev, I would focus on balancing the quantity of male and female content + neutral options, cuz this game is turning into a super sexist environment to me and I feel left out of the fun sometimes.
    • The effort that was put into lifestyles could've actually been used to improve traits and tone down the emotion system. Cuz to mee, lifestyles jsut seemed like glorified traits (which all of them should be)! All of the traits from the game should be "organic" like lifestyles are (with the option to lock/unlock the organic evolution of traits), and all of them should have two sides (like hates the outdoors, loves the outdoors, hates children, loves children, lazy, active, etc).
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Why would you want to get into a hot spring all dirty? That’s what you have to in real life is shower before hand.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options

Why would you want to get into a hot spring all dirty? That’s what you have to in real life is shower before hand.

How come sims don't have to shower before using a hot tub, the sauna, or the swimming pool? Maybe they should have just left that as an optional element.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

How come sims don't have to shower before using a hot tub, the sauna, or the swimming pool? Maybe they should have just left that as an optional element.

Actually if it’s public then you’re supposed to. There aren’t many public hot tubs. Sauna isn’t water so it’s not the same thing. You’re also supposed to shower before getting into public pools. But again that’s more of a culture thing as most here in the US don’t do that. But it is Mandatory before going into a public hot spring in Japan which is why they added it.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options

Actually if it’s public then you’re supposed to. There aren’t many public hot tubs. Sauna isn’t water so it’s not the same thing. You’re also supposed to shower before getting into public pools. But again that’s more of a culture thing as most here in the US don’t do that. But it is Mandatory before going into a public hot spring in Japan which is why they added it.

You are supposed to be clean when you go into a sauna, and sit on a towel not directly on the benches. Anyway, this is about the sims and their enforced behaviors.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »

I don't like that they fake this in their trailers. The train is not usable, yet in their trailer they fake sims arriving and leaving in it. And they always add sims in the background so that the areas look more busy than they actually are in the game. In reality the areas are empty with Nancy Landgraab walking around together with some randomly generated townie in an ugly outfit.
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    There's only two things I really wanted them to improve:
    • Stop with the sexism. It's harmful, even the smallest little sexist action can be a snowball that will turn into a huge avalanche. Stop adding more female content than male content. Like 3 male hairs over 98482962 female hairs is ANNOYING and OFFENSIVE, to me. Seriously. Seek balance. At this point, if I were a dev, I would focus on balancing the quantity of male and female content + neutral options, cuz this game is turning into a super sexist environment to me and I feel left out of the fun sometimes.
    • The effort that was put into lifestyles could've actually been used to improve traits and tone down the emotion system. Cuz to mee, lifestyles jsut seemed like glorified traits (which all of them should be)! All of the traits from the game should be "organic" like lifestyles are (with the option to lock/unlock the organic evolution of traits), and all of them should have two sides (like hates the outdoors, loves the outdoors, hates children, loves children, lazy, active, etc).

I've also thought that a sim should be loyal if I chose to complete the Soulmate aspiration. It annoys the hell out of me when they get in a flirty mood and they flirt with strangers. Petition for loyal trait lol.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member

You are supposed to be clean when you go into a sauna, and sit on a towel not directly on the benches. Anyway, this is about the sims and their enforced behaviors.

The new proper trait is the reason actions to get in the hot spring were grayed out without showering first on the live stream. If your Sim doesn't have the proper trait then they should be able to ignore that behavior if you choose for them to do so, although I am not sure but they may still get negative mood buffs if other Sims are around and see them.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Oh one more thing. I really wanted to put the those new tables in my Asian restaurant but oh no they don’t work with dine out. They did mention they were looking into it so maybe it will happen at some point.

They always say they are researching it, but they never research it. It's their lie. Just so we don't bother. Just like swimming outside Sulani!

LOL I was thinking this
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Oh one more thing. I really wanted to put the those new tables in my Asian restaurant but oh no they don’t work with dine out. They did mention they were looking into it so maybe it will happen at some point.

They always say they are researching it, but they never research it. It's their lie. Just so we don't bother. Just like swimming outside Sulani!

@Kniga_Sitara , Graham responded on Twitter. Not particularly welcoming info but he did respond.

I’m not worried about the hot pot. I never expected that in Dine Out, however I expected to be able to use the table at a restaurant.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The bb items seem a bit boring to me. We had a lot of neutral stuff with eco lifestyle and this although Japanese style has a similar feel to it. Usually I love bb items so for me to be underwhelmed by them is something usually it’s cas I don’t care for much but I actually prefer the cas to bb in this pack.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    That long female hair with the bangs is awful. The bangs look like they’re barely part of the mesh or something!
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Some of my worries and concerns after all the videos and stream (as always I hope I will be wrong):

1) How "no shoes" was implemented. First of all why an awkward object and not a lot trait? But that's not a huge deal. Second this wired cloud animation. They've went all over to make stunt animations for ski and snowboard but taking of shoes is a magical cloud... Really? And my main concern is that sims freeze for a second in order for this animation to proceed. I imagine a party of 15 sims and a total rout failure at the front door with this. Probably it would be better for shoes just quietly disappear without any animation and delay in this case?

2) Lifestyles. I can't help but feel that lifestyles are very random. My biggest problem is why there's no single lifestyle for creative sims and crafters? Where are melomaniacs? No lifestyle for meanies and troll sims? But there is a coffee addict at the same time.

3) Sentiments. As I understand from IronSeagull video these are generated only by basegame and new expansion. Obviously Selvadorada vacation or combating Strangerville mother-plant together are not that memorable.... And I'm still concerned of how much this actually will be reflected in sims behavior rather than in their moodlets and profiles.

3) World. Once again too many things are tied to one world. Theme-park worlds are inevitable in this game it seems. Also ability to swim there is great but, honestly, it makes me bitter after they've told us they'll look into the possibility to update water in older worlds.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah, I would have preferred the shoes just disappearing. I don’t think I’d want to have “no shoes inside” as a lot trait, though. We only get three and I usually use all of them. It would’ve been nice if both were options, but I guess the item gives the player more control because a lot trait wouldn’t allow you to choose between slippers, socks, or bare feet.

I honestly thought it was going to be a setting you’d change with the front door.
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    On the surface the pack does seem to be better done than the past few, and the stream was well done. But there are already signs that there is only surface appearance of features, and not the significant game depth that we paid for when we bought into the game in the first place. Token effects are not features, but the team always seems quite certain that they are. We keep getting handed the appearance of things, and this could quite likely be more of the same stuff as before.

Not to mention that once they get our money, the product is not (really) supported. So it's all being added on top of broken content that most of which will likely never get fixed, given their current track record. So even if it does turn out to be a decent pack..... there's no point in it, because they're putting in on top of a broken, dysfunctional game.

I just can't justify spending money on a situation like that. And it is something that goes beyond any one pack...... it's the totality of the situation as well. Add it all up, then factor in past tendencies and track records...... there's a lot to be wary of and steer cautiously away from.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top